2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think by now people would just source their own clear circle dots, a bottle of goo gone, and just return their homemade "new" games 30 days later. That would probably see some changes in policy.
In that sort of event I would see them just not allowing you to return the game instead of that happening (i.e. going to the extreme).

They should have just greenlit the game rental thing they had planned. I'd even have been willing to pay $120/year. That's about $120 more a year than I spend there now (I try to only keep rolling trade credit, which I'm not sure how that affects their numbers in the end, since I essentially just boomerang games).

There were a number of people that redeemed points on Thanksgiving and were able to use the coupons twice. I used $105 on a PS4 and used the same $105 on an Elite Controller days later.
Probably a mistake but if it was a covety promo to get people in stores every Thanksgiving then I'm pissed.

Just got back from trading in my Switch games, I also used my 2x pts. coupon.

I can confirm (asked the store manager) that the next Prestige Day is on December 8th.

Can someone clarify the Power Up Rewards section for things like Netflix, Hulu, and PSN gift cards?  It appears that it would be slightly cheaper to get a dollar value certificate and buy the gift cards in store than to get the gift cards on the site since they charge more points for those cards.  Is this correct or am I missing something?  Obviously, I understand the convenience factor of not going to the store.

For those who ordered stuff around Black Friday week/weekend, like myself, I received this email from GameStop this afternoon:

Thank you for your GameStop.com order #blah blah blah. Our teams are working hard to get your package to you! Since Black Friday & Cyber Monday, we have had an influx of orders. Because of this, you may not have received order confirmation or shipping confirmation emails. Please rest assured, we do have your order and it will arrive to you shortly.

Due to the order volume, we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes. There's no need to reach out to Guest Care unless it's been more than 7 business days since you placed your order, so simply keep an eye out for any emails and updates from us!

Have a great day, 

Your friends at Gamestop.com

This may have been asked, but how does the $20 new game trade-in promo work? Is it really as simple as bringing in one of the eligible games and then you can pre-order or buy anything new for $20? Getting $40 towards another game for Fallout 76 seems pretty good.

I should have known better after all the issues I've had with Gamestop in the past. Ordered 7 "new" games last week to give as gifts. 3 of them showed up with stickers on the case and already opened, with one of the games having fingerprints all over the disc. A collector's edition I ordered was opened and the game is missing. 1 of the games showed up actually new and wrapped but the case is cracked. The other two games I haven't received yet a week and a half after ordering them, and have received no shipping confirmation. Feel like I went gift shopping at a rummage sale. Hopefully when I take all this crap to the store they will have at least some of these games in stock and actually in new gift-giving condition. Unreal how a games specialty company can be so inept.
This is actual fraud and with all the reports of this happening so frequently, I really don't understand how they get away with this and aren't being sued. It's completely ridiculous!

I should have known better after all the issues I've had with Gamestop in the past. Ordered 7 "new" games last week to give as gifts. 3 of them showed up with stickers on the case and already opened, with one of the games having fingerprints all over the disc. A collector's edition I ordered was opened and the game is missing. 1 of the games showed up actually new and wrapped but the case is cracked. The other two games I haven't received yet a week and a half after ordering them, and have received no shipping confirmation. Feel like I went gift shopping at a rummage sale. Hopefully when I take all this crap to the store they will have at least some of these games in stock and actually in new gift-giving condition. Unreal how a games specialty company can be so inept.
I learned the hard way last year that "new" with GameStop typically isn't new. I picked up a "new" copy of LA Noire for the Switch on Black Friday for $10. I showed the cashier the clearly used sleeve they had in the new section that had multiple stickers all over it with different price and the sleeve was pretty worn. He then went looking for a new copy, couldn't find one, then grabbed one of the vanilla disc sleeves they use for used games which happened to be torn but for some reason was labeled as new and then proceeded to put the cartridge into the sleeve. If the game wasn't at a great price already I would have said something since I was basically getting the equivalent of a used product and that was totally false advertising in that case. But because of the price I did not complain. I feel like GameStop can be a great store for used products. But for new titles, unless the price is very low compared to the competition, I typically will shop elsewhere where I know I will get an unopened and actually "new" product.

You might be able to get a 10% discount off new items that are damaged or open box. I have had it happen to me a few times without asking (busted Amiibo box, gutted LA Noire). Of course it only works in store.

I expect this to end well.

Order three sega Saturn games on Monday and I used 2 day shipping because of elite. Didn’t ship till Wednesday. Got them today and they are the wrong games! 😒 They put Turok on n64, nba jam for snes, and tony hawk 2 on n64! What In the world!

Picked up last copy of KoA 360 BC for 3.99 in my whole area. Can't wait to play.
Found my copy in my rack of games tucked away in my room last night! I installed and starting playing again instantly after the find. Still enjoy the game and never finished it. Underrated by some due to graphics have changed since its debut but I enjoy it and plan to play it off/on this entire weekend. EDIT -- I think some have gotten well over 80 hours of play from the game.

Switch arrived today, still no sign of my GS or eShop cards anywhere. Guess I'm playing phone tag again *sigh*

Just got back from trading in my Switch games, I also used my 2x pts. coupon.

I can confirm (asked the store manager) that the next Prestige Day is on December 8th.
How does one get a 2x pts coupon? noob question but like i never run into an email for one or shit like that.

I put 92 hours into my first playthrough of Amalur. It, along with Bravely Default, got me back into rpgs when I'd become completely burned out on the genre for a few years. 

Only complaint I had about KoA was the level cap. I hit it long before I finished the game, and since they didn't increase it in the DLC, I never bothered with it even though I wanted to check out the pirate one. 

does anyone know if the buy 2 get 1 free coupon that they will give out on the 3rd will stack ?, i mean like buying 12 preowned games at the same price and getting 4 free?

GameStop lost almost 490 million in their third quarter, they won’t survive at this rate sadly
how is that even possible? Their bread and butter is buying and selling used games and systems... They pay their workers very low wages. Their stores are usually packed when I go in there(which isn't that often but still). I guess more and more people are selling their used games on amazon and ebay instead of taking it up the ass and trading into gamestop

Fellow CAGers -

Have a quick question and would appreciate your help.

Can I use a $5 off preowned reward cert. on a $4.99 game?

Thanks!

how is that even possible? Their bread and butter is buying and selling used games and systems... They pay their workers very low wages. Their stores are usually packed when I go in there(which isn't that often but still). I guess more and more people are selling their used games on amazon and ebay instead of taking it up the ass and trading into gamestop
According to games industry.biz it was because of "a goodwill impairment charge of $557.3 million the company attributed to 'the sustained decline' of its share price."

Your last sentence is probably the case but that is a small part of it. The bigger issue is the growing market share of digital gaming, which at this point is unstoppable. Seeing the darkening clouds on the horizon, GS has made efforts to diversify with varying degrees of success(thinkgeek good, apple reseller in some regions so/so, mobile services seller in some regions a dismal failure). Consider that they just sold off that last part of the business for 700 million dollars and that is included in the 500 million third quarter loss figure. So the core business lost over a billion.

You are right that they dont offer enough in trades to keep us trading in there. They are left with teens and soccer moms only doing so. The lack of supply forces trade bonuses to get more games in but that kills their profits. The lack of demand ensures that what they do have sits on shelves for too long and as we all know, these things depreciate in value faster than real estate in Chernobyl. So profits on the games are further reduced.

Seems to me there is still a niche market here for mom and pop used game stores but a huge operation like GS seems doomed.

My 2x GoW just shipped tonight literally ordered once the BF deal was alive the $17.99 price was too good to pass up. Hoping they will actually arrive sealed!

So I'm done with gamestop. Ordered two games, both ended up shipping separately. One came in a paper mailer bent in the middle damaged disk but obviously had to open the game to see it. Second game came in a better bubble wrap mailer but got a gutted copy without the disk and looks the case was given to a dog prior to shipped out. I've never tried getting a refund from them but I doubt it'll go well. 

This may have been asked, but how does the $20 new game trade-in promo work? Is it really as simple as bringing in one of the eligible games and then you can pre-order or buy anything new for $20? Getting $40 towards another game for Fallout 76 seems pretty good.
It's not really getting a new game for $20. It's basically saying you pay $20 less. You're getting the trade in value of the eligible game and putting that credit toward the purchase of a new game. Which is dumb since you can just use that credit toward anything. It's just worded poorly and more of showing you which games give you at least $20 tiv. There's the guaranteed $30 for Fallout 76 promo going on though.

So I'm done with gamestop. Ordered two games, both ended up shipping separately. One came in a paper mailer bent in the middle damaged disk but obviously had to open the game to see it. Second game came in a better bubble wrap mailer but got a gutted copy without the disk and looks the case was given to a dog prior to shipped out. I've never tried getting a refund from them but I doubt it'll go well.
Part of my order came in through ups yesterday and the game case was smashed on the bottom. Will probably go today to see if I can get a refund.

I dont see why my other game is taking 2 weeks more to arrive and my third game was cancelled completely.

At the very least the second and third games were just filler to get free shipping.

Never dealing with gamestop.com again. I dont even want to think what I would have to do if I had to deal with their CS over the phone.

Yeah, it's more likely that. The used prices for most games were higher than Ebay and Amazon. They tried lowering them a month ago, but most are still not close to what they sell for elsewhere. Plus the fact that they've tanked most of the trade-in values is(and will) preventing them from restocking their used inventory.

wont work has to be over 5.00
I've used the $5 preowned cert. on $4.99 games in the past multiple times and never had an issue. If your store is giving excuses, it's BS. Their system will automatically take it off. The only thing you'll have to pay is tax on it.

I had to renew my PUR the Monday before thanksgiving because it had expired. Got my b2g1 the next day. This morning got a second on with a different code. Now I have 2 in my active offers. Now only if there was anything I wanted to buy...

Digital is slowly growing, but if publishers keep releasing games like Fallout 76, it can put a stop to it and even reverse it.  The more people get burnt in this new "digital age", the more the realize the value in physical copies.  

No, I think the other threat with digital is that these publishers are coming up with their own digital schemes, like EA Access, Origin Premiere, Xbox Game Pass, etc.  I myself am a physical advocate but I tried to these services.  I did for one month for Origin to play BFV early.  I did it for one month for Game Pass to play Forza Horizon 4 (and thank god I did since I found the game to be pretty aimless and boring after the intro).  I spent a fraction of the full MSRP price, and decided I didn't need to purchase the game -- which would normally be physical.

The other obstacle, as everyone here knows (since we all have huge backlogs), is that the games themselves are getting longer.  They have engagement metrics now, and sustained support beyond the initial release: DLC, Season Passes for 3-6 months more.  Gone are the days when you beat a game in a few weeks or a month and trade it in, which keeps Gamestop's pre-owned cycle going.  Gamestop doesn't see any piece of this action since you can trade-in digital goods.

And yeah, their trade values are not so great either.  They sometimes have their guarantee of $30 TIC if you trade in a game within 30 days after it's released.  Well that's just not high enough when I'm able to sell the game on eBay or Facebook Marketplace and still profit $10 more.  The only time I really prefer GS credit is if I'm planning on buying something and want to avoid taxes.  And with GCU dead, GS could see more business if they step it up.

As an aside,

I don’t really like games as a service...i think the idea “more of a game you enjoy” is great but the business execution ruins it.

I would just prefer standalone $30 expansions (half game size) instead if drip fed dlc.

On topic, games that include dlc that isn’t on disc also significantly devalues their preowned games (such as fallout 4 goty ps4 or bayonetta 1/2 switch)

If every physical game starts using single codes to download the game (instead of being on disc) then the preowned market will die

The switch is already experiencing this for larger games (not a code yet, but it’s coming imo) and inevitably the ps5/xb2 games will increase in size (like rdr2) and the publisher will opt to just force downloads instead of multiple discs.

In my personal experience, there are some ps4 games that i regret my digital purchase due to sales or ps+ (such as detroit deluxe with heavy rain at launch for $55 after discount...heavy rain went ps plus the next month which is the reason i went deluxe and digital)

I’m way more cautious about ps4 digital games...I almost require >50% discount before considering and for AAA i’ll buy physical to play,trade, and then wait for a deep digital discount if i want it again.

On the flip side, i very much prefer digital on switch it at all possible. if i buy physical at a discount, i will wait for a good trade deal and sale on digital to convert (just did this for doom and skyrim, also did this back in time for bayonetta 1/2)

Called CS right as they opened and got through to someone. Got the eShop code over the phone and was told I should have the gift card emailed to me by Monday.

I dont understand why most of you just didnt go in store at any point. You dont have to go right at black friday open times for GS. Its a quick in and out less than fifteen minutes trip if you just go in store. I have been in several states and this has always been the case. 

Never shop online at GS for BF. Just take the loss if you are too lazy to go in store.

Makes me sad thinking $36 is the best these NSW games are gonna get at GS. I don't even know what a trade promo is anymore.

Just take the loss if you are too lazy to go in store.
First of all, your experience isn't the same thing as what the rest of us experience. The times I have arrived before opening on BF in previous years, it's been a minimum of 1 hour to get through.

Now, I haven't even attempted to get there on Thr opening, but you should realize that some people put family commitments before shopping. Think twice before calling those people lazy.

Makes me sad thinking $36 is the best these NSW games are gonna get at GS. I don't even know what a trade promo is anymore.
That's why I traded in my Switch games yesterday. The last tier trade in was sometime in June or July. With all these sales on Switch games they are definitely going to drop in TIV after this bump. The high value Switch games trade in days are over.

I dont understand why most of you just didnt go in store at any point. You dont have to go right at black friday open times for GS. Its a quick in and out less than fifteen minutes trip if you just go in store. I have been in several states and this has always been the case.

Never shop online at GS for BF. Just take the loss if you are too lazy to go in store.
Big knock on wood here...but i haven’t had any issues with buying online and using trade credit besides one has been heroes that went mia. i did receive a brand new world of ff and for honor for dirt cheap from a glitch and maybe 20% of the time received a gutted new game which i either swap or return at the store.

Anyone use their 2x points coupon and did it show up on your receipt? I used mine yesterday and it did not show up on my receipt and it is still in my active offers.

Yeah same here as I have a lot of games I want get rid of but I want a little more then peanuts for them. Hoping to get a little bit of a trade promo for Christmas but not holding out hope at this point.

Yeah same here as I have a lot of games I want get rid of but I want a little more then peanuts for them. Hoping to get a little bit of a trade promo for Christmas but not holding out hope at this point.
TIVs always drop during Christmas because a lot games are on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back