2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of Gamestop hate in this thread atm, but I for one am happy with them for the moment. I just got my quote unquote "used" "New" 3DS non XL variant from the $80 sale and am VERY pleased with the quality.  Perhaps I won the refurb lottery, but it functions fine, none of the buttons stick or are unresponsive and it looks almost new.

otCrz6D.jpg

Yay. We agree. End of discussion. Let's revisit in March when they post earnings. Thanks.
See you in March! Can't wait to have you walk me through it ;)

Seriously though, my closing argument is this, then I will let it be. This whole thing has been about gamestop finding a buyer right...

Hypothetically, you are a buyer. You see that last quarter the company posted a 500 million goodwill impairment... Do you not take that into consideration when finding a valuation for the company? Obviously real world buyers do, because THEY CANT FIND A BUYER!

*writes "date with Renzler" under March in his little black book

But gamestop is a PHYSICAL brand that sells PHYSICAL goods. Are you really suggesting that someone would buy the gamestop brand, with all its dying physical overhead, and pivot it into a digital game platform?! Sorry to tell you buddy, there are already monopolies in that space called Steam, IOS App Store, and Android Google Play. It would be WAY more financially viable to start a new brand then buy gamestop for that purpose anyway.
Gamestop sells digital content too. I am not saying that physical media is not on the way out, I am just saying that it isn't going to happen anytime soon. I personally am not a fan of going digital with games for a variety of reasons, but that is neither here nor there. You are missing the point that Gamestop is a valuable brand name that people know. The value of the Gamestop brand is similar to that of Toys 'R' Us in the toy business.

I get that you think you are a business expert and I am telling you that I am not a business expert, but I have this thing called common sense and logic. You are basically saying that the name Gamestop is not valuable because in your mind they only sell physical goods and that digital games aren't games somehow?

*dumps truckload of mics*

A lot of Gamestop hate in this thread atm, but I for one am happy with them for the moment. I just got my quote unquote "used" "New" 3DS non XL variant from the $80 sale and am VERY pleased with the quality. Perhaps I won the refurb lottery, but it functions fine, none of the buttons stick or are unresponsive and it looks almost new.
Score. I love winning the gamestop lottery. Like when gamecube games come with actual gamecube cases.

One thing is for sure, we will all miss Gamestop one way or another if it disappears.  Admit it, you all are here because you have love/hate relationship with Gamestop.  Gamestop is like that ex-girlfriend you once hated with passion but end up messaging her when you're drunk.

I did read about it and I did know it was from the loss of good will. At the end of the day, in the business world, a loss is a loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if the company's value dropped 500 million because of a loss in intangibles like good will or because an exec decided to buy a 500 million dollar solid gold hotdog for his desk. Losses are losses.

edit: and by last quarter I meant last reported quarter. I thought that was implied...

edit edit: Also, doesn't it say something for the companies health that your conjecture, the most intelligent, thought out rebuttal so far to my 1 or 2 quarter forecast, is that they have maybe 5 years left? :p I don't 2 quarters is terribly pessimistic if the most optimistic projection is 5 years.
I was never going to argue they were in good shape. They just arent as bad off as you were making it. I wasn’t disputing the patient is sick just the length of the diagnosis.

They also just finalized the $700 million sale this month and that will reflect now.

Look we almost all agree Gamestop is struggling but don’t equate a goodwill impairment to actual cash loss which is what a lot of people did when they posted that stuff back in November.

I am glad to see you understand it better as well reading your follow up.

They have several years not quarters, and they need to get aggressive as hell now.

But we both know they’ll pay out thay 700 mill in exec bonuses and run the company in to the ground.

One thing is for sure, we will all miss Gamestop one way or another if it disappears. Admit it, you all are here because you have love/hate relationship with Gamestop. Gamestop is like that ex-girlfriend you once hated with passion but end up messaging her when you're drunk.
Hey gamestop..its been awhile. I see you've moved on and seem to be doing well. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss all those gamestop exclusives we had together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is Rainbow Six Siege worth picking up? It's still on sale for $15 and I'm guessing the Ubi sale ends today. Would like to hear from those who have played it before possibly getting it.

A lot of Gamestop hate in this thread atm, but I for one am happy with them for the moment. I just got my quote unquote "used" "New" 3DS non XL variant from the $80 sale and am VERY pleased with the quality. Perhaps I won the refurb lottery, but it functions fine, none of the buttons stick or are unresponsive and it looks almost new.
Score. I love winning the gamestop lottery. Like when gamecube games come with actual gamecube cases.
Gamecube games almost seem like they're in your favor from my experience; picked up 4 along with one of the $5 wii charging cradles during this last sale and got metal arms, MMX command mission, Custom Robo, and Baten Kaitos; all but Baten Kaitos came with box. Seems par for the course for me, with about ~66% of titles coming boxed; they're the only non-cart games I'm willing to grab during retro sales because of it. I'll DEFINITELY miss GS if they ever disappear.

Literally never gotten a manual out of the 15 or so boxed GC games I've gotten from 'em, though; almost think they throw them out on purpose to more easily slide the dumb yellow GS sleeves into their slot instead. Love to hear if anyone's seen otherwise, though.

Gamecube games almost seem like they're in your favor from my experience; picked up 4 along with one of the $5 wii charging cradles during this last sale and got metal arms, MMX command mission, Custom Robo, and Baten Kaitos; all but Baten Kaitos came with box. Seems par for the course for me, with about ~66% of titles coming boxed; they're the only non-cart games I'm willing to grab during retro sales because of it. I'll DEFINITELY miss GS if they ever disappear.

Literally never gotten a manual out of the 15 or so boxed GC games I've gotten from 'em, though; almost think they throw them out on purpose to more easily slide the dumb yellow GS sleeves into their slot instead. Love to hear if anyone's seen otherwise, though.
I've gotten manuals mostly when I get cases, however the condition of GC disks has been the worst of all the retro I was buying at the time. Especially with the white disc surfacer coloration getting into the disc's inner circle with no real way to remove it well. You also have to pretty extensively test GC games, as scratches or "resurfaced" scratches can be a literal game ender.

I got a Path of Radiance that worked just until you got to the battle screen. I was able to return it to a store. Make sure you test your pre-owned games for at least a while before you assume it's good to go.

The old school games industry isn’t down, that chart doesn’t prove mobile games are stealing purchases from console gamers, it’s like the white race is dying BS... there’s more white people than ever before, only the natives crossing back into what was their country lowers its overall size of the total.

It feels like the PS4 is the most successful console ever, and has held value thanks to the Pro, and modern ideas like firmware updates, where as the PS2 Slim sold a ton but at minimal profit and to like third world countries. The Xbox is still in the ballpark of the 360 in the US (Xbone trails PS4 mostly because of Europe, and because this generation of consoles is at such a higher pace that even the least popular system is still maybe halfway between OG Xbox and 360 in sales.)

And you add the fact that Call of Duty’s and every other AAA game is no longer a once every three years thing like Halo 1 -> Halo 2, they’re annualized like Madden, GameStop has no good excuse for underperforming like this.

Subtracting digital downloads from PS4/X1/Switch/3DS and physical sales couldn’t possibly be worse than the Dreamcast GameCube Xbox and early PS2 era (by the time PS2 had 150 million sold no one was buying any games for those other three systems so even that balances out)

And GS, EB, KB, Babbages and many local stores had no problem making money then.

I've gotten manuals mostly when I get cases, however the condition of GC disks has been the worst of all the retro I was buying at the time. Especially with the white disc surfacer coloration getting into the disc's inner circle with no real way to remove it well. You also have to pretty extensively test GC games, as scratches or "resurfaced" scratches can be a literal game ender.
I got a Path of Radiance that worked just until you got to the battle screen. I was able to return it to a store. Make sure you test your pre-owned games for at least a while before you assume it's good to go.
This is actually another reason I kinda like gamestop being around - if I have a game that I realize months/years down the line isn't actually functional because of something like this, or has a bunch of resurfacing fluid caked into the inner disk that's bugging me as is common with GC disks, I can just order another copy from 'em alongside the next order I place, swap them out while keeping the case(s), and return the old disk in-store to have it refunded in full and """repair""" the original.

Should probably only do this with games you get from them in the first place to stay on the moral up-and-up, though :V

I like gamestop being around just because I like physical releases, barring the games that go OOP and skyrocket in price, you generally are gonna have a better shot at a cheap copy of a game physically than you will digital until far into release

I like gamestop being around just because I like physical releases, barring the games that go OOP and skyrocket in price, you generally are gonna have a better shot at a cheap copy of a game physically than you will digital until far into release
I like physical releases too, and actually get a decent amount of dirt cheap games from GS as well. (Easiest place to get games for 99 cents)

Having said that, I want the next generation to be all digital only because I simply no longer have room for collecting :(

If they'd just restore last gen TIVs, the turnaround would be swift and miraculous. Front page of the Wall Street Journal miraculous. I can feel it in my bones.

Are you sure that fee is charged immediately? They usually only apply after a year or so or after a certain period of inactivity.
Yeah my bad. It's the beginning of the 7th month, after the card was issued. I thought the 7th of the month, like next month.

There's also a coupon for 10% off one pre-owned game.

Side note, I was able to find a pre owned Resident Evil 2 today and also use a birthday coupon on it, so 35 bucks (in trade credit) for a new release that I'm going to beat and then return for the guaranteed 30 in credit deal, 36 after elite pro, so basically a free rental that I can then put towards Kingdom Hearts 3 as soon as all those start flooding back in. Deals like that I will miss for sure if/when they go under. You can't beat it.
Nice move. And thank you. Because of this I went to find a pre-owned copy and found one. Picking it up on my way home.

Cool, I just want to have an idea on when I might need to get out of the GS ecosystem completely. I'm always sitting on a pile of trade credit and I don't want to be the last guy trying to cash out his cards in some way.

I know this gravy train won't last forever, but I was hoping that they would at least make it to next gen so I can get the PS5 with my credit.

Side note, I was able to find a pre owned Resident Evil 2 today and also use a birthday coupon on it, so 35 bucks (in trade credit) for a new release that I'm going to beat and then return for the guaranteed 30 in credit deal, 36 after elite pro, so basically a free rental that I can then put towards Kingdom Hearts 3 as soon as all those start flooding back in. Deals like that I will miss for sure if/when they go under. You can't beat it.
I am a little worry since i am sitting on 350 ish credit and 200,000 point but I don;t think it is all doom and gloom. I don't think Gamestop will just up and disappear. WE have seen how long Sears last and it is still not dead yet

*points to previous comment*

the total number of people that want oranges has not changed and the total number of oranges for sale has not changed, therefor, you will quickly sell through your cheap oranges, no longer have a supply, and the price of oranges will return to its natural state of $5.

edit: and if you had any sense, you wouldn't sell your oranges for $2, you would sell them for $4.99 :p

edit edit: *drops mic
First, prices affect behavior. Second, prices don't automatically rebound on all goods.

Ex: Let's say we have a unchanged finite supply of high quality 4k 60inch tvs.

If a single seller started selling them at $1 each, it's reasonable to assume many folks would buy them- even folks who never thought of buying one. It's reasonable to assume they'll buy A LOT. It's also reasonable to assume since they're high quality that they are going to last long.

In what scenario are you arguing that other sellers won't be affected? (This is what you would call the "market.")

Do you believe other sellers will continue to sell at the same rate despite everyone had met their tv needs?

Are you assuming people are consuming their tvs so fast that they'll readily purchase one at full price, and, for example, not buy from resellers that also bought at a dollar? Seems pretty unreasonable.

Again, prices affect behavior. *mIc DrOp*

Can you only use one online PUR certificate per day? I used a $50 one on RE2 remake and am trying to use a $25 for Katamari Reroll but the code is "applied" but not reducing the total?

New ad doesn't really show any worthwhile deals, although $10 reward cert for preordering Far Cry New Dawn is pretty good considering the game is $40, though if you wait a year I'm sure you can get the game for $10-20

If you grounded your son because you thought he lost your copy of Super Mario Odyssey, but then realized you traded it in during the last stealth bump...  

You might be a Cheap Ass Gamer,

New ad doesn't really show any worthwhile deals, although $10 reward cert for preordering Far Cry New Dawn is pretty good considering the game is $40, though if you wait a year I'm sure you can get the game for $10-20
It's a Ubisoft game. It'll be $20 after 2 weeks.

Real talk, is it finally a nail in the coffin for Gamestop? Selling new games is not the answer...

https://youtu.be/UGztrDFN88g

If Gamestop wants to save themselves they need to start closing more stores and embrace the retro market more than they have. With the retro stuff, they really need to have better quality control over what they are buying and especially what they are selling. We've all seen or experienced first hand how much of a lottery it is with Gamestop's current retro games approach with the number of people who have received repro carts. 

Retro games cater to a broad market of people who are simply nostalgic for games they grew up playing and want to relive or introduce to their own children. Then you have collectors who are willing to pay a premium for some of this stuff. The future of video game retail is ironically the past.

If they'd just restore last gen TIVs, the turnaround would be swift and miraculous. Front page of the Wall Street Journal miraculous. I can feel it in my bones.
How would increasing TIVs of games nobody is buying would help them? Unless you just want to sell your crap before they go under lol

If Gamestop wants to save themselves they need to start closing more stores and embrace the retro market more than they have. With the retro stuff, they really need to have better quality control over what they are buying and especially what they are selling. We've all seen or experienced first hand how much of a lottery it is with Gamestop's current retro games approach with the number of people who have received repro carts.

Retro games cater to a broad market of people who are simply nostalgic for games they grew up playing and want to relive or introduce to their own children. Then you have collectors who are willing to pay a premium for some of this stuff. The future of video game retail is ironically the past.
I don't know, as much as I would like this personally, my local actual retro stores never seem to be doing that well. And many retro collectors aren't willing to pay up for games very often. I don't know what their retro trade in numbers are nationally, but would think many stores couldn't support a retro section based on just trade ins.

I really don't know what they can do to save themselves past closing stores since they are generally oversaturated.

That and they should specialize. Back when there was an EB store at the local mall, I remember them selling some import games. They actually had the X-Men vs SF with the 4MB cart for $79.99. Man was it pricy, but I did end up buying it actually. This was the Sega Saturn days. Now things have changed as we are slowly moving towards digital.

Not a sustainable business model. They built their model on being a gaming thrift store and that's what got them in trouble. The bubble burst once digital sales started eating their ready supply of new physical games sold. When you cheat the system for so long, you're going to get burned and their failure to adapt the (already) tarnished brand while holding themselves in a fetal position murmuring "it'll be ok" over and over is why they will fail.

Nobody wants to buy their shit name and business model, and they're finally seeing the light. It's why they can't hold a CEO and why they will die.

... the point was the market toys r us was in wasn't effected by its closure because the inventory was already part of the market. Doesn't matter if its new toys market, old toys market, retro games market, or dog turds market.
It has affected other things within Hasbro, specifically Magic the Gathering. They have pumped out more products, some of which can only be bought directly from them, stopped small stores from being able to buy from them wholesale so they have to go to distributors & raise costs, & also canceled coverage of 90% of competitive Magic events & rely solely now on streamers streaming Arena to promote the game.

It has affected other things within Hasbro, specifically Magic the Gathering. They have pumped out more products, some of which can only be bought directly from them, stopped small stores from being able to buy from them wholesale so they have to go to distributors & raise costs, & also canceled coverage of 90% of competitive Magic events & rely solely now on streamers streaming Arena to promote the game.
Eh, magic is “dead” anyway. Keyforge is the new buzz.

Is Rainbow Six Siege worth picking up? It's still on sale for $15 and I'm guessing the Ubi sale ends today. Would like to hear from those who have played it before possibly getting it.
I played Siege on and off from its release until last summer. I still have the game, just got burned out from playing it so much. It's a lot of fun, but there's a pretty steep learning curve to it. You also have to really be committed to team play since running and gunning like a lone wolf will get you smoked really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back