2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 4/10, 4/20 deals, why not buy without an account and then trade in with your account? Wouldn’t that prevent them from tracking?
You can. But then you pay more with no 10% discount. Makes the margins a bit tighter on what you're getting per flip. Hence why people have multiple accounts.

I just noticed I received 2 birthday coupons this month. Same account, different codes. I hadn't checked yet so not sure if they were simultaneous. Anyway, heads up maybe if you're expecting one.

I thought the 4/10 type deals didn't stack with membership promos anyway.
It works with the Pro or Elite membership, as do most other used game promos. Whether it's worth it to save 10-20% on each item (which amounts to $1 each at most), that's a choice you'll have to make.

Trying to recall, does the Birthday coupon stack with Pro? 10% + 20% =30% or is it 10% off, then 20% off.

Or worse, it doesn't stack at all? I don't think I've ever used one before.

Left 4 dead 2 trades in for 11 probably highest I’ve seen in a while

I wish I kept more copies I sold some during October since those games sell well during the scary month

Left 4 dead 2 trades in for 11 probably highest I’ve seen in a while

I wish I kept more copies I sold some during October since those games sell well during the scary month
When I was at a store yesterday one of the employees was complaining about someone ordering 5 copies of left for dead 2 for store pick up. I figured he knew something I didn't.

I don't care what people do, they can flip games, take advantage of glitches or oversights,etc...

I just don't want to hear people complain that they got banned, harassed by staff about trade ins, etc.... when you bought games to trade in the same day and got caught... Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

As someone mentioned it comes with territory, just man up and deal with the consequences.(if it comes to that)

I don't care what people do, they can flip games, take advantage of glitches or oversights,etc...

I just don't want to hear people complain that they got banned, harassed by staff about trade ins, etc.... when you bought games to trade in the same day and got caught... Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

As someone mentioned it comes with territory, just man up and deal with the consequences.(if it comes to that)
So you do care!!

Says they don't care. Doesn't want to hear people complain. Then proceeds to complain about other people.

It also helps that I avoid the stores that I'm not on good terms with, as inconvenient as it is.
Oh the satisfaction when a store that you've sworn off gets shuttered though. I've personally helped put three stores (not GameStops) out of business after they pissed me off. I do have to wonder if our (jokingly) rumored family ties to mafia have helped though. . . :lol:

Can you kindly stop fucking posting.

I also make considerably more than a GameStop manager (even before overtime), so no need to tell me to get a real job. I do this because I collect and it's fun and gives me an excuse to go to all these different GameStops and see what interesting things they have.
At least your not a scumbag like me who keeps the steel books. I have like 4 I think. I feel so bad about myself.

Borderlands 3 (still have the disc), Tomb Raider 30 year edition, Tomb Raider Shadow of the Tomb Raider and latest South Park. If BL3 was cheap enough this past week on PSN I would have traded the disc and kept the steel book too.

It works with the Pro or Elite membership, as do most other used game promos. Whether it's worth it to save 10-20% on each item (which amounts to $1 each at most), that's a choice you'll have to make.
It doesnt online for whatever reason. Probably part of their shitty new website. I cant complain though, this is the first time these deals have been online in at least 2 years

Maybe a change of subject is in order. Tomorrow is the earning report for Q3. I'm not expecting good news. I honestly think in a few months their Holiday sales number are going to be way below expectations as well. Many stores I stopped into doing these flips I was the only person in there. That's a far cry from a year ago.
My local store said they were pretty empty on BF and CM. It was packed the first hour but died down after that. Wouldn't be surprised to see they didn't meet projected figures this Q4.

Maybe a change of subject is in order. Tomorrow is the earning report for Q3. I'm not expecting good news. I honestly think in a few months their Holiday sales number are going to be way below expectations as well. Many stores I stopped into doing these flips I was the only person in there. That's a far cry from a year ago.
A poster on the GS subreddit said he expects more than the announced 200 store closures within the next year because he already knows of 80 in just 5 states in the very near future. I think this is the first time stores have liquidated inventory instead of shipping to other stores. That can't be a good sign.

Yeah even the last two years they were -line out the store/employee shops for you- busy, even after dark 8-9PM. Maybe this year they opened a little too early on Thursday, but when I came around there was maybe as many people as during a modern "midnight launch", me and maybe 5-6 other people or families. That Spiderman PS4 might've drove a lot of people in that the repeat deal so to speak this year didn't. (Even though those console deals were pretty good this year people might not want to buy em knowing they'll be irrelevant next Xmas )

If GS were to go bankrupt it likely would be the end of physical gaming, and would probably create such a massive hole that I dont even know if publishers/developers could come back from. So much business goes in and out of GS, and they are the only retailer with any type of mass variety, including older gen stuff that you are either going to have to buy from amazon at $30 new/used or go on ebay and take your chances. No one should root for GS to fail, even as shitty as some of their practices are, because they are what holds (at least physical) gaming together.

If GS were to go bankrupt it likely would be the end of physical gaming, and would probably create such a massive hole that I dont even know if publishers/developers could come back from. So much business goes in and out of GS, and they are the only retailer with any type of mass variety, including older gen stuff that you are either going to have to buy from amazon at $30 new/used or go on ebay and take your chances. No one should root for GS to fail, even as shitty as some of their practices are, because they are what holds (at least physical) gaming together.
Before they go bankrupt a big company like Amazon or Walmart will buy them so they have a bigger online presence with used games. Maybe even Rakuten.

A poster on the GS subreddit said he expects more than the announced 200 store closures within the next year because he already knows of 80 in just 5 states in the very near future. I think this is the first time stores have liquidated inventory instead of shipping to other stores. That can't be a good sign.
The closures have already started. There is a store near my area north of the Gamestop HQ in Grapevine, TX that has all the clearance signs and everything is starting at 30% off and started Sunday. Its not a prestige store. The location is still on the Gamestop store locations site though.

I have been watching Camelot331 on Youtube and he has tons of videos from employees (store level and even corporate level) telling him inside info about store closures and any drama that is dealt with working for GS. Closures are happening now and will continue till summer according to the videos.

I have been watching Camelot331 on Youtube and he has tons of videos from employees (store level and even corporate level) telling him inside info about store closures and any drama that is dealt with working for GS. Closures are happening now and will continue till summer according to the videos.
I thought GS already previewed their intent to close stores months ago. It's pretty obvious based on their number of stores and performance estimates that the company has way too many retail locations. Not sure if they'll opt to take a massive closure approach after the holidays or phase them, but it's inevitable at this point.

As for physical games, yes, GS is the last defense for them, but it seems a war already well lost. Unless trends suddenly reverse, game sales will continue to go digital. Physical releases will probably increasingly become a premium option that will be able to demand higher prices. AAA releases and console exclusives will continue to get mass disc releases, but hard to see most others taking that route in lieu of the far less risky, more profitable digital only approach.

As I've said elsewhere, love or hate, GS is likely one of the reasons we've had discs this generation. It'll be sad to see it either die out or become super niche.

I highly doubt Wal-Mart or Target or any big box retailer would buy them out. B&M retail is a highly volatile business and I can't imagine any of these retailers wanting to deal with GS' future, which looks more and more like a business whose time has come and gone.

I'm one of those gamers that are committed to physical releases. When the industry largely moves to digital, meaning games I buy start to just go digital, or start putting most of the game into patches or DLC, that will be it for me.

PS5/Scarlett are more than likely the last disc-based consoles so at least there's one more generation left.

i think that since the old regimes policys that had them throw out old systems/cheap games into dumpsters (never admited since it varied by store) and their shift in policys with forced subscriptions/sales for employess that drove away the better employes to seek employment, the messed up online system, they just have it to hard to bounce back plus the big three to push digital only/rental programs controled buy them to drive up prices they are in a tuff spot, personally if they actually stocked good stuff and old stuff and not throw everything into a clear container or bothered to not over pay for rental stores and invest into bigger more consumer friendlier stores they would do better, no matter what sales they run, if i have to spend a ton of time on wrong infomation or store inventory or waisting time looking to buy a product that isnt available online since it isnt a search option, or ordering online which just ships from the nearest store only to find its acceptable to ship an empty case or wrong game as ok...

We are the old/last generation that still likes physical. Kids these days are inconvienced to swap cartridges, and prefer instant transactions like Apple Pay. At most it'll be little mini-game boxes with digital codes inside. (like the mini-xbox ones you see at BB, but smaller!)

My prediction when GS goes under is that someone will buy their name and open up self-serve kiosks that are supplied by drones (from the amazon mother drone ship!) kind of like Redboxes, but located inside larger retailers like Target, Malls, Airports, or maybe even your local highschool!

i think that since the old regimes policys that had them throw out old systems/cheap games into dumpsters (never admited since it varied by store) and their shift in policys with forced subscriptions/sales for employess that drove away the better employes to seek employment, the messed up online system, they just have it to hard to bounce back plus the big three to push digital only/rental programs controled buy them to drive up prices they are in a tuff spot, personally if they actually stocked good stuff and old stuff and not throw everything into a clear container or bothered to not over pay for rental stores and invest into bigger more consumer friendlier stores they would do better, no matter what sales they run, if i have to spend a ton of time on wrong infomation or store inventory or waisting time looking to buy a product that isnt available online since it isnt a search option, or ordering online which just ships from the nearest store only to find its acceptable to ship an empty case or wrong game as ok...
While I get people who get on GS' case about how they handle retro games (and yes, it's never made sense that they throw out the manuals and boxes), few ever talk about the fact that a retro business would - even at its absolute best - be a super niche service that would never generate profits sustainable to keep GS afloat at its current retail exposure.

No one is printing more old games so there is a low ceiling for potential sales, and demand for old games will never reach mass appeal. Further, nothing stops publishers like Nintendo from capitalizing from old games on their own so who needs GS for this in the long run? Sadly, no one.

Its pretty telling that the stores that are closing are having "clearance" sales instead of just transfering over inventory to other Gamestops. That's not a good sign at all.

Almost every single game of the 8 360 games I bought for the 4 for 20 online yesterday have sold out, meaning I think I got the last copies. Theres already 500+ OOS 360 games that are never coming back in stock, so those who think theyll turn into an online seller are wishful thinkers.

I was just at my local store yesterday with my son, and it looked like it was already gearing up for a move or closing. This was one of the top three money earning stores in town, if not the top, and to say it's holiday time, the store was bare as hell. Now of course, this could just be a way to make more room for paying customers, as this store can get cramped during the holiday rushes. But it just felt and looked like the end to me, but maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen many store likes this in the past and they have all ended the same way.

It's always sad to see a business end, especially one you grew up with, but I can't feel bad for "stupidity & greed", and that's all I've seen here for as long as I can remember. Yeah, I've seen the tide changing for physical for just about as long, and if it ends tomorrow, the gaming industry will continue, as "physical" was just a way to deliver the medium. My son who has grown up gaming, actually prefers digital, due to ease of use, and even friends who I grew up gaming with go all digital now, as it's just easier(until it's not of course).

I've seen many things end and or change in my lifetime, and it's just the order of things. When the game market crashed, it led to "N" coming in and filling a void that many said no one wanted, the same things will happen here. If physical is meant to hang around, it will happen, but if not, it means it's ran it's course and has come to an end.

Another notch against physical having a comeback is Redbox is getting out of the game rental business. They are just doing a clearance sale through next month.

Its pretty telling that the stores that are closing are having "clearance" sales instead of just transfering over inventory to other Gamestops. That's not a good sign at all.

Almost every single game of the 8 360 games I bought for the 4 for 20 online yesterday have sold out, meaning I think I got the last copies. Theres already 500+ OOS 360 games that are never coming back in stock, so those who think theyll turn into an online seller are wishful thinkers.
Are some Gamestop's franchised, while others are owned by the corporation? I would think a franchised Gamestop would have clearance sales whereas a corporate-owned store would send it to other corporate-owned locations.

Another notch against physical having a comeback is Redbox is getting out of the game rental business. They are just doing a clearance sale through next month.
Well to be fair, when the PS4 launched I was excited to rent games from the Redbox (since launch games are notoriously mediocre) and they were nowhere to be found for months and then increased the rental cost when they became available.

With the PS5/XB2 incoming, this makes sense to me since Redbox would probably do the same thing so PS4/360 stuff would just take up wasted space in the kiosk.

Damn 2 stores near me are closing, makes sense though because they’re in areas where there’s literally 4 Gamestop’s within a 10 minute range. I was still able to use trade credit at the store but they weren’t taking any trades or selling any POSA cards

Redbox games in my area have a 50/50 chance of being a piece of paper so I'm not surprised if they're getting out.
Redbox is definitely getting out of renting games by early next year. I'm fortunate the two games I bought at different kiosks weren't photocopies. Plus people who would steal the games using fake debit/credit cards would try to or actually trade or sell them at GS.

So historically speaking anyone know if there's chance for another round of b2g1 before Xmas? Gotta grab a few top tier switch games but I was too worried about debt last time. Now I'm a bit more comfortable with the amount I owe to ruin my life further.

All my now sold out online 360 games have shipped. Have to exchange two of them but they should be here by Thursday which is great.

Weirdly enough my only 360 game from BF still hasnt shipped and still says "Awaiting Product Availability"

I like hearing everyones voices regarding pnysical gaming.

As said earlier, if there is a void in physical gaming, some entity will eventually fill it.  I truly believe physical will never go away, no matter how hard shills try to push digital.

The lack of available store-bought physical might be a boon for places like Limited-Run (Who get licenses, and convert digital games to physical)

Or "Super Rare Games", "Special Reserve Games", etc..

As for trading them back in .. who knows what time will tell, but small Video-Game businesses might do trades .. and if suddenly there are a thousand (!) games available via these digital-to-physical conversion services, there might be a marketplace again.

Maybe the next used Video Game company to grow from this mess, won't demoralize their employees... and the retail successors might actually give a shit.

Run a tight ship, by making a profitable business without top-heavy management, while treating employees better than used tissues.  (easier than you think)

That being said, after tomorrows earning call, I expect a dip, and a rise.  Investors don't play video games, they just swallow whatever offered, cum, money, prospects, as long as they are promised a tasty reward.  Which is what I expect from the Q3 tomorrow.  "Low investor earnings this time, but Q4 is going to be really good!!" -- "get in now while it's $6 /share .. soon it will be $8 / share".

Their sales pitch.  Investors will eat that shit up.

Now, all THAT being said, Q4 is going to be dismal (won't be reported 'til March).  This covers BF and Christmas.

We shall see! /peace

Maybe you could create a company that sells preorders of physical copies and they're made to order. Naa, it would never work.

As everyone is saying physical games might be over with I still don’t buy it. The first company to go all digital with their console will be in last place at the end of the console race.

All the companies would have to go all digital at the same time for it to work, but even if 2 companies said they’d go all digital I feel like the 3rd wouldn’t do it just so they could use it to their advantage.

So historically speaking anyone know if there's chance for another round of b2g1 before Xmas? Gotta grab a few top tier switch games but I was too worried about debt last time. Now I'm a bit more comfortable with the amount I owe to ruin my life further.
The 'Game Days Sale' starts Sunday. I can't remember (and haven't found last years ad) if they even had one but I would think it is unlikely since this sale runs for more than a week, I believe.

Even if Gamestop goes, the Best Buys, Targets, and Walmarts will still sell the big releases for sure. You just won't be able to trade anything in there.
No you won't be able to trade to the top-3, but a new buy-sell-trade company will rise from GS's ashes if they fail.

There are already plenty of such company chains in existence, nationwide, and growing.

They will all grow -- but only one will become the Master of the Universe.

.. of course that is if GS goes belly up.

GS is killing 2000 stores in the next year (actually within 8 months?). I'd like to think they are holding out til PS5 / Xbox (whatever).

I'd rather deal with the buy-sell-trade stores, personally. The ones I know let you trade old games in for store credit to buy new releases. They make money, and it's the business model I'd prefer.

Oh yeah, book stores, yeah it still works great! :whistle2:

Did Best Buy stop taking trade ins? Or do they just give really shitty values?
They make you feel like a criminal...walking in to get stopped by security, have them put a useless sticker on your item, them radio in that you have games...upon getting to the customer service desk the employee has no clue on how to do a trade...after 15 mins of fumbling around you finally get the trade but first you have to sign like 4 pages of paper work detailing the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back