2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only $3.95 each too. Was debating holding for the future but 2 of them are disc and case only and all 3 moderately scratched
At first I thought it was TP on the GameCube, and I would thrown my hands up. Although, i did find two copies of TP on the GameCube within two weeks of each other at a thrift store in NH...both we're $5.

Speaking of unfounded rumors - Any chance the 50% off under $30 returns as a flash sale this week? :razz:
Guess I can quote myself... not quite 50% off (would be ~40% if the $10 coupon applies)

4 for $80 on pre-owned under $30 = 33% off... online / bopis

lJqahWP.png

Something new, did my final boomerang of Overwatch/R6 siege and the associate took away $5 refurbish fee each, the games had light scratches but he said it’s a part of the store’s temporary ‘Covid cleaning procedures’.

He was nice about it and I didn’t argue because I’m just happy they didn’t notice I just bought the games a few blocks away. Could be because the games were not the cleanest looking discs either, anyone else get hit with this? Seems very YMMV

Something new, did my final boomerang of Overwatch/R6 siege and the associate took away $5 refurbish fee each, the games had light scratches but he said it’s a part of the store’s temporary ‘Covid cleaning procedures’.

He was nice about it and I didn’t argue because I’m just happy they didn’t notice I just bought the games a few blocks away. Could be because the games were not the cleanest looking discs either, anyone else get hit with this? Seems very YMMV
You got hit with the bullshit fee. They dont care about COVID, and its evident if you look at their subreddit page.

Well, if you look at their subreddit page all you see is lazy ass employees absolutely throwing a fit they have to work. GS as a company has actually been really good to them. Store limits are still in effect, they have literal boxes of cleaning supplies behind the counter at every store I've been to, hours have been reduced, as well as many other small things. They just have lazy ass employees, who, unless GS permanently shuts down (which, admittedly, they'd make more money from unemployment), keep whining regardless of what the company does. Of course, they still work there lol.

GS fucks over customers FAR more than its fucks over employees. When I traded in my games the other day the guys working didnt even take the discs out to check if they were ok. Just opened up the cases, checked if the game was in there, and took it. Cant complain about a company being shitty to you if you're shitty at your job.
Average salary
$9.27 per hour
13% Below national average

They treat their employees very well...

I traded Wii Sports and Minecraft PS3 Sunday in paper sleeves (I recycle those from online orders) without any trouble. During the $5 bonus on $3+ I traded 4 (iirc) XB1 games, I think 2 or 3 were in the black generic cases and 1 or 2 were in paper sleeves. No issues there either.

It probably helps it is at my go to location and I try to put at least some towards a preorder. I usually start by saying something like "the app says these are worth x so I was going to preoder y" just to be safe.

Guess I can quote myself... not quite 50% off (would be ~40% if the $10 coupon applies)

4 for $80 on pre-owned under $30 = 33% off... online / bopis

lJqahWP.png
This version of the sale is pretty bad compared to their 50% off deals. Less of a discount and more restrictive since you would have to get games as close to $30 as possible to maximize the savings. I’ll pass, but thanks for the heads up.

Holy shit, I regret going to that subreddit now. One employee even said "fuck customers" and had hundreds of upvotes. I'll never feel guilty about canceling a preorder again. I now feel bad for GS (the actual company) if these are sadly the quality of employees that represent them.

Working at GS doesn't require any actual education. Not even a GED. If they want a higher paying job then they're going to have to graduate high school, get a college degree and then look for professional jobs that pay real salaries. Maybe if they stopped spending so much time complaining on Reddit they would have time to do that.
$9.27 is a cruel wage. Minimum wage should be $15 minimum. Costs have skyrocketed in the last 40 years but wages have stagnated. There is no reason to be against $15 wages unless you somehow feel threatened, which in that case you need to be reminded if you make more than minimum wage that means you would deserve even more than $15 with this raise in wages.

Get paid $15, double minimum wage, for a job that needs a degree (lol sorry you got a degree for $15 an hour, I know the pain) then you should get $22-$30 an hour. You used to be able to buy houses on minimum wage jobs but the US government lowered taxes by 30%+ in the 80s, and redistribute the wealth that the middle class used to experience to the already rich.

$9 is not a livable wage on 40 hours a week. That's $1440/month before taxes. That's $17,280/year before taxes.

And, yes, there are some taxes you pay regardless of income. You may get a chunk of that back when you file thanks to tax credits and such, but probably 15% gets withheld for payroll taxes, Social Security, etc.

So you're really at more like $15,500. About $1291 take home.

Rent varies but where I'm at? $800 or so for a 1 bedroom is close to market, and if we see a wave of foreclosures due to COVID, market pressures are gonna increase that.

So now you're at $491/month for all your remaining expenses. Oh, and spoiler alert: if you need government programs such as food share to make up the difference, THAT IS NOT A LIVABLE WAGE.

We need a robust safety net, but if that safety net is being asked to catch both those working 40+ hours a week and those who are either unemployed or unable to work, the failure is with the system that gives businesses billions in tax breaks but doesn't mandate a living wage for those who do the labor.

This version of the sale is pretty bad compared to their 50% off deals. Less of a discount and more restrictive since you would have to get games as close to $30 as possible to maximize the savings. I’ll pass, but thanks for the heads up.
Yea, I agree this sale isn't great, but better than nothing if something you want comes in stock at this price point. With all these trade bumps once I start hitting certain levels of GS credit am more willing to flip to amazon at lower and lower margin. Still have some locked in orders to fill!

It looks like this promo will last until Saturday (8-8)

The sad truth is that Burgerland is collapsing. Civil unrest, college graduates unemployed or making around $8 an hour part time, low birth rates, major drug and technology addictions, everyone treats each other like shit now, etc. The largest state is in debt and has cities like San Francisco where there everything is overpriced and it's filled with homeless people, drug addicts and criminals and is covered with literal human feces on the streets. It's really disgraceful what the leaders, both Democrats and Republicans, have done to this once great nation.
When was this country great iyo?

Tokyo mirage is too expensive still. Especially since it most likely doesn't include the case. Was looking forward to it. Oh well. Final fantasy x/X2 it is - with my trade credit

Tokyo Mirage Session for Switch is $39.99 used DOTD. No further discounts but this might be the best price for this outside of a buy 2 get 1 free.
Pretty sad that we can't use our $5 monthly certificate on deals of the day. What's worse is that the employees sell people on buying it by saying it's good on "everything"

Pretty sad that we can't use our $5 monthly certificate on deals of the day. What's worse is that the employees sell people on buying it by saying it's good on "everything"
That's why I let mine expire. What good is $5 off something that you can get cheaper somewhere else, in far better condition

$9 is an absolutely liveable wage in low income areas and states. I agree that in higher priced areas (CA, NY) it should be $15, but people in say WV or ND should absolutely not make the same. They don't need it. If that was the case, everyone would move to those areas.

Basic economics man.
Yikes. There is so much wrong with this. Basic economics? Where did you get your economics degree because this fails basic arithmetic?

Idk what is going on in this thread...but I do have a PUR related question. Apologies if this was covered, I had to wade through the mess. But how long has it been impossible to get certs in the app? All values show as “sold out”

Thus far, the $5 cert can still be used for digital currency. Although that requires an open store, and the willingness to go inside a GS (don't trust their website even if that was an option). My local stores require me to purchase a $10 code to use the monthly cert, but, oh well.

The new plan is not nearly as good as it used to be, but sadly you still need it to maximize trading / flipping with GS, if thats your thing. IIRC it can still be purchased for 15k points, which accumulate anyways with trades.

Idk what is going on in this thread...but I do have a PUR related question. Apologies if this was covered, I had to wade through the mess. But how long has it been impossible to get certs in the app? All values show as “sold out”

Several months, but you can get certs on the website. Lots of people have had trouble with redeeming the online certs, but in store ones work.

This thread is by far the most interesting thread in all of CAG... when it goes off the rails, it goes off the rails and into space. 

This thread is by far the most interesting thread in all of CAG... when it goes off the rails, it goes off the rails and into space.
I'm curious what the ratio of posts about deals to posts about how crappy GameStop is as a company (or posts defending them) are. Can't we just accept that they are a crappy company doomed for failure, but they have pretty good deals sometimes if you are okay with gambling on the condition of your items and lack of cases?

I'm curious what the ratio of posts about deals to posts about how crappy GameStop is as a company (or posts defending them) are. Can't we just accept that they are a crappy company doomed for failure, but they have pretty good deals sometimes if you are okay with gambling on the condition of your items and lack of cases?
The fact that people bitch about them but do so in this thread basically tells me they still likely buy from GS. It verifies what you said.

As for the derailment, I was only semi-serious. I'm often part of the problem, and TBH, I don't mind it. Not like there's much going on for the rest of CAG outside of the deals section.

I hope GameStop survives and thrives (although it is obvious it won't). Where else can I buy a game and resell it back for double on the same week?

I love GameStop, actually

Thus far, the $5 cert can still be used for digital currency. Although that requires an open store, and the willingness to go inside a GS (don't trust their website even if that was an option). My local stores require me to purchase a $10 code to use the monthly cert, but, oh well.

The new plan is not nearly as good as it used to be, but sadly you still need it to maximize trading / flipping with GS, if thats your thing. IIRC it can still be purchased for 15k points, which accumulate anyways with trades.
I've always been able to use my cert for a $5 XB code in store. I have heard the minimum for eshop is $10 but I don't have first hand experience.

I'll trash talk GS all day and buy from this beautiful company.

The trade value this week makes no sense. $19.25 for new super Mario Bros Wii??? Sure ok works for me.

Gaming is a cruel market. And with eBay and marketplace it makes zero sense to run any gaming store.

The stealth bumps don't have any official start or ending date, so please don't spread false information. The bump before this started on a Friday and ended at closing and this bump just ended. Neither was Monday. Once again, assumptions like this are better posted in the lounge thread so they don't clutter up this one with fake news.
So you're saying that all stealth bump data and rumors, without concrete facts, should be posted in the lounge?

If this was the gong show, I'd gong your post.

The stealth bumps don't have any official start or ending date, so please don't spread false information. The bump before this started on a Friday and ended at closing and this bump just ended. Neither was Monday. Once again, assumptions like this are better posted in the lounge thread so they don't clutter up this one with fake news.
Yeah, let's ignore every other time a stealth bump has started on Friday and ended on Monday, just because the last 2 weeks have not been like that. Not to mention the fact that this was the first time we've had a stealth bump so close together. But hey, because you said, we should do it. I guess we all missed your promotion to owner of this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back