The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Anyone every use the Skullcandy Lowrider headphones/mic for 360? I got one today for Christmas from my GF. She wasn't sure if they were good or not. It was the only one available at the time and she said I can exchanged it for something else. I found a couple reviews online and they seem to be mediocre. Good for sound but not voice chat. The Turtle Beach EarForce are probably better right?[/quote]

If you want wireless I say go for the official MS wireless headset. The wireless turtle beach ones are IR which I am not a fan of. If you are talking wired I can't help you though.

[quote name='Sway']Anyone know why my wireless mouse does not respond anymore when my 360 is on? My monitor serves both my comp and 360 and I haven't had a problem before I removed the console and later hooked it up again.[/QUOTE]

That's sort of weird. What connection does the mouse use? The 360 of course is broadcasting on the same frequency probably any mouse uses, but still...

(Personally I don't get the point of wireless mice...though I don't understand the point of wireless controllers either, really...)

Thanks guys, you're both helpful. I'll fill out that form and if I don't get anything after a week or two I'll jump on that conga line.

[quote name='Malik112099']If you want wireless I say go for the official MS wireless headset. The wireless turtle beach ones are IR which I am not a fan of. If you are talking wired I can't help you though.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking for something that plays the sound through the headphones, not just a mic.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's sort of weird. What connection does the mouse use? The 360 of course is broadcasting on the same frequency probably any mouse uses, but still...

(Personally I don't get the point of wireless mice...though I don't understand the point of wireless controllers either, really...)[/QUOTE]

Not sure, it's one of these. What I find weird is that I didn't have a problem before.

I'm in the mood for an extreme, or incredibly fun, fast, game. Here's the options I was considering:

Shaun White Snowboarding
Midnight Club LA
Pure

Now, I loved the Pure demo, and i loved Midnight Club 3 Dub, but i'm also a huge snowboarding fan and SWS interest me too...Have any of you guys played the first one? I'm really looking for impressions on that and if you guys recommend it!

[quote name='KSHLove']does anyone know how i can get audio from the receiver only? Currently I'm getting audio from the TV speakers + receiver. An HDMI and toslink is connected to my 360. Didn't have this problem connecting with VGA and Component.[/quote]

I believe you are wanting to recieve voice only to your headset, correct? If not then your question has already been answered.

To recieve voice only to your headset, there is an option outside of the game you are playing, to recieve voice to your headset, tv, or both. You can find that under the Settings Tab ( or whatever it is called), then you go to Preferences then the rest you can figure out. (I'm not in that area right now, but I'm just remembering some things.

Haha, I do loathe him quite well, but snowboarding is so fun.

Part of me is leaning towards Midnight Club because I haven't played a good arcade/sim racer in a while.

I have MC:LA and SWS. I like Midnight Club alot more. SWS is probably one of the worst snowboarding games I've played and I have played all of them since 1080 Snowboarding.

I like Midnight Club alot more. SWS is probably one of the worst snowboarding games I've played and I have played all of them since 1080 Snowboarding.

Never played Pure.

Pure probably has the best reviews and praise that I've seen of the 3 choices. I'd go with that, plus its been on sale everywhere too.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I'll take your oppinion then life.exe heh.

And I would wait for skate 2, but I want to get on this B2G1F used game sale.[/quote]

I would get either Pure or Midnight Club LA then.

I am not a big fan of "xtreme" or sports games in general but I really, really enjoyed the SSX games. Go find a used copy of SSX Tricky or SSX3 for $5 used and you will have like 100 hours of nonstop entertainment.

The 2 people I know that played Pure ended up bored of it very quickly. I played a few minutes of Midnight Club at my relatives today and thought it seemed pretty decent, but I wouldn't spend more than $20 on any of these personally. I find the Need For Speed games to be better than Midnight Club, but that could just be a personal preference too.

Heh, I've already beaten every SSX in existance (besides On Tour, that was a POS). Also my local gamestop doesn't have Mirrors Edge used. I'm thinking Midnight Club La. The trailer got me so pumped.

I got pure from amazon for 20 bucks and only played it for a bit but I've had a blast so far.

I've been wanting to get midnight club, but I know rockstar will release a Special edition down the line. So I'm holding off on that.

u mean pay the 800 (or is is 1600?) points to change the name of ur gamertag from RNY68 to XXXXX ? if that's what u mean then u don't lose any of ur stats from any game as far as i know (my friend did it twice and we never noticed a change on either GoW1, Halo 3 or COD4)

but if u mean make a new account well then yes u lose everything

There's a cheap method to doing it, and that is to have everyone you know/meet to report your name as being offensive, then you will be asked to change your name, and tada free name change.

I've played both Pure and MCLA to completion (1000GS each). I had alot more fun with Pure. Going off huge jumps and doing crazy stunts. I liked MCLA too but not as much as Pure. Cars felt too floaty and not as XTREEEMEEEEE as Pure. Pure is XTREEMEEEEEEXXXX...XXX. Can't say anything about the Shaun White game though.

MCLA is a very, very good arcade racer, but be warned it will require a lot of your time invested in it to make much progress. It can also get frustrating if you've forgotten the MC free-roam race formula.

I've been trying to get this to work all morning but I can't figure it out. i got a Samsung home theater in a box for xmas and i want to hook my xbox up to it. I currently connect my 360 using hdmi, but the only inputs on the home theater receiver are for optical and a/v...so is there a way to hook it up without going back to using component cables? Would the video quality go down if i switched to component cables?

Also if this info is needed I also have a comcast dvr hd box that is hooked up as well.

The official HDMI kit includes an adaptor so you can plug in both HDMI, and still get optical and RCA audio. A homebrew method involves removing the casing on your component plug, and then you will have room to plug both cables into the xbox 360 at the same time. You can google it for the web page that explains it.

(I have heard that the home brew solution may interfere with dvd upscaling, and 720/1080 HDDVD movies, but I have not tried it myself to verify.)

I got it to work by running a/v cables from my tv to my receiver. Now my only problem is that only my front speakers work. They all work while watching dvds on the player that came with my home theater system.

Is it possible to move saved games from one profile to another? I think on PC games you can since you've got direct access to the file system, but I don't know how to on the 360.

[quote name='richdmoore']The official HDMI kit includes an adaptor so you can plug in both HDMI, and still get optical and RCA audio. A homebrew method involves removing the casing on your component plug, and then you will have room to plug both cables into the xbox 360 at the same time. You can google it for the web page that explains it.

(I have heard that the home brew solution may interfere with dvd upscaling, and 720/1080 HDDVD movies, but I have not tried it myself to verify.)[/quote]

if you do the homebrew way, it supposedly outputs video from that cable also (heard reports on the composite cables and not sure on the component). The HDMI cable will also output 480p I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNEXDtBr4nQ

It makes that sound. Not as severe all the time, but it has thrown some pretty noisy ass fits.

It'll say sometimes that a game is a DVD, some times it'll attempt to read it fail to and just give me the open tray option, parts of games will stutter.

I haven't done shit to my console, it just started doing it. It hasn't been a huge issue, as it would only do it on Rock band when I inserted the disc and it spooled up. It's moved onto other games though, and Gears of War 2 is virtually unplayable due to all the hiccups.

After turning it on and off a few times and taking the tray in and out it will eventually work.

[quote name='Wikipedia - Xbox 360 technical problems']"New Xbox Experience" update issues

On November 19th 2008, Microsoft released the "New Xbox Experience". This update provided streaming Netflix capability and avatars, however some users have reported the update has caused their consoles to not properly read optical media.[82] Others have reported that the update has disabled audio through HDMI connections.[83] As of yet, Microsoft has yet to offer a fix to this issue other than stating that they are "aware that a handful of Xbox LIVE users are experiencing audio issues, and are diligently monitoring this issue and working towards a solution."[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems#.22Unplayable_Disc.22_Error

This did start after the NXE was released.

Anyone else have any issues like this?

the NXE is probably just an excuse people use for the failing of the hardware. Sounds to me like your DVD drive's about to go. If you wanna repair it yourself let me know, I've got a lot of experience with the 360s hardware.

It's a hardware problem not a software one so i doubt the NXE had something to do with it.
Looks like the link you provided from Wiki is exactly what is happening to the guy in the video and to you too.
There are only a few options for you.

If you have a warranty through the store you purchase it from or the 1 year from Microsoft, use it!

Could call Microsoft regardless to see if they would fix it for free.

If not, you could pay Microsoft the ass raping rip off fee of $99 for them to fix it.

Sell it and buy a new 360.

Or lastly open it up and try to glue down the magnet that secures the disc to the drive. I'm a tech geek so i would definitely go with do-it-yourself if you don't have a warranty anymore. But that's just me, review your choices.

The same thing started happening to my disc drive a few days ago. Not as loud as that but there's still alot of unpleasant noises when it tries to read the disc. Then I have to hit eject and close over and over until it reads the damn disc! Regular warranty ended a month ago too. So sad. :( I was thinking of opening it up and fixing it myself if someone could guide me through it. I saw a youtube video on how to fix it but I think I need a little more guidance. Then I have to hope it doesn't RROD lol...

I was able to have hdmi and optical hooked up at the same time because I have a 3rd VGA cable, and the casing is pretty thin.

However, something weird is happening. If I turn my 360 on before the tv, it starts up and all. If I then turn my tv on, the 360 starts up again. Maybe the picture is being sent though the VGA and once hdmi is "activated" it goes through that instead?

Call Microsoft support. That noise combined with the fact that is starting to fail to read properly, means a repair is definitely warranted. I'm hoping you are under warranty still.

well I am pretty sure I am not under warranty for anything outside of the RROD, but I am kind of thinking of just calling them and saying that I've got that and sending it in hoping I get a new one, heh heh.

I'll definitely look into doing it myself though, is the process pretty fool proof?

[quote name='lilboo']What's optical? I thought if you have it set up through HDMI that's pretty much all you needed?[/quote]It's a fiber optic cable used for audio. HDMI is all you need if you have a receiver that supports it since it carries both audio and video signals. If you only have an HDMI port on your TV however, then you need the optical (the little square hole in the back with a "door") for the audio, assuming you want sound coming through your receiver and not the TV speakers.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']well I am pretty sure I am not under warranty for anything outside of the RROD, but I am kind of thinking of just calling them and saying that I've got that and sending it in hoping I get a new one, heh heh.

I'll definitely look into doing it myself though, is the process pretty fool proof?[/quote]

I don't see how this is any less fraud than gutswapping a 360, ie. taking the insides off on case and putting it in your case and returning the old one.

Question:

I have a 360 with a gold live account and a few games I've downloaded from the arcade. I want to get a second 360 for a separate room. One of the things I want to be able to do is play a game like Catan with a friend online, only they'll be in the other room. Is this going to work? I don't want to have to keep logging in and out or buy a second XBL sub if I can get away with it. I'd also like to not have to buy those games again.

[quote name='Lint21']Question:

I have a 360 with a gold live account and a few games I've downloaded from the arcade. I want to get a second 360 for a separate room. One of the things I want to be able to do is play a game like Catan with a friend online, only they'll be in the other room. Is this going to work? I don't want to have to keep logging in and out or buy a second XBL sub if I can get away with it. I'd also like to not have to buy those games again.[/QUOTE]

To play them online through Live you'd need two gold subscriptions and two copies of all the games.

360dvdcomparefm3.jpg

Eject your tray and see which dvd-rom you have first, if its the leftmost 2 then there are very easy fixes if you're careful. if its the one on the right then either call msft or buy new. Far as I know there arent any good solutions for fixing the BenQ dvd drives.

It appears you have the two front holes from the Hitachi from what I can tell but I'm not sure. If you have questions I'm sure many of us can help here.

[quote name='xsuicidesn0wmanx']
360dvdcomparefm3.jpg

Eject your tray and see which dvd-rom you have first, if its the leftmost 2 then there are very easy fixes if you're careful. if its the one on the right then either call msft or buy new. Far as I know there arent any good solutions for fixing the BenQ dvd drives.

It appears you have the two front holes from the Hitachi from what I can tell but I'm not sure. If you have questions I'm sure many of us can help here.[/quote]

all drives are fixable/spoofable. You also forgot to add the fourth drive in there not pictured: The Liteon. BenQ fixes usually involve just replacing the "laser".

Yeah, but I was under the assumption that this guy isnt that deep into console repair/modding, so i went with the very basics to start. Most likely the fix is simply to open the 360, remove the cover from the top of the dvd being careful not to lose the magnet in the center, and simply glueing it back in place. if for some reason the magnet is gone, then just buy another hitachi and swap the key. hitcahi drives go for about $30 on ebay(bought mine for a console mod, never used it lol)

Does anyone know where to get these? Since you can buy a 1 gig usb card for 6 bucks or less if you find a good sale, why can't I find any half gig Xbox 360 memory cards for less then 40? Anyone see any sales or good places to get them? Used or new, not a big deal. Thanks in advance

bread's done
Back