The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Mine was totally dead out the box. I plugged in the kit, got a red light, but it wasn't charging the battery at all. It could be red for 2 hours, but without the charge cable connected to the controller, the battery was useless.

:wave:

For awhile I have been using 2 play and charge kits. I think the batteries are shot in the ass, and I much rather use rechargeable batteries since I use them for basically everything else.

However, I do not know what I did with the original backing of the controller :lol: I don't even know what it's called. BTW I'm heavily medicated at the moment, so it's probably a real simple answer.

REGARDLESS; where could I get them at? Does Microsoft have one of those weird online stores like Nintendo where you order random parts?

Any help = appreciated. :bouncy:

[quote name='Wolfpup']Are you sure that works? In previous generations, third party memory products never worked. Cool idea though.[/QUOTE]

Oh, God. I remember my parents bought me this third-party "ultra" memory card for my PlayStation for Christmas many moons ago. So, I start playing a Tomb Raider game, and my save gets deleted. And it happens again. After the second time, I decide to read the instruction manual and discover you have to insert the memory card after you turn the system on and remove it before you turn it off, because the "power surge" erases everything on the card. Awesome product.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Another question:

Are there restrictions on USB keyboards? Will pretty much any one work? What about wireless ones with a USB receiver/dongle? Is there any keyboard that comes particularly recommended for 360 users?[/QUOTE]

Good question! I have big fingers and the messenger pad would be a pain for me, so I'd like to know, as well.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Should I get an Xbox 360 Elite now or wait for November when the 250GB Elite bundle is released?[/QUOTE]

I would definitely wait. The bundle simply is a superior deal, especially considering the previous Elite bundles are not readily available for purchase, anymore. For an extra $100, you're getting another controller, more than double the HDD space, and a game that we can all pretty much assume is gonna be pretty fucking awesome.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Far as a store to get them. I have no idea. I have a extra one though If you want it, and can't find one otherwise. I have 2 controllers, and only one play, and charge kit. My friend was coming over, and I lost what you was talking about as well. I thought great I'll have to buy one somewhere. Lucky though I found two of them.

Only place I can think of is good ol' ebay. Did a search and there are some, though a tad... pricey for such a small piece. Then again, if you were considering a Microsoft alternative, I'm sure you would expect the same price tags. Here's a link to the ebay search.

[quote name='LeRoy']What game is included in the 250GB bundle?[/QUOTE]

Modern Warfare 2. There is a Forza 3 bundle, too, but I don't think that one is coming stateside.

Ok.
I want to get an additional 360. I now have a full 1080p TV and I want to utilize using all of these HDMI ports, :lol:
I was thinking about putting my current 360 in my bedroom. I still might do that.

But I am thinking about just getting an Arcade that has HDMI (which should be any these days). Would I be able to just snap on my 120gb HDD? Or do I have to go through some stupid DRM nonsense where I have to be connected to the internet in order to play my stuff.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yes. You'd either have to do a one-time license transfer, which is available on Xbox.com, or else you'd have to be connected to Live to use your content.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/[/QUOTE]Hmmm, so if he moves his current 360, and the NEW one remains connected to the Internet, that should actually work, right? It would only be a problem if the new console was the one that wouldn't be online, if I'm understanding correctly.

Not sure where to post my question, so if this is the wrong place, please delete the thread.

I purchased a couple of XBLA games for friends about a year ago and have 2 codes, but one is used. One of my friends never used the code and I want to trade it on goozex, but I don't know which one it is and want to make sure that I actually have what I am offering. Does anybody know how to check this? PM me if you want, or just reply below. Thanks.

I know it's been out for awhile, but I just downloaded the latest xbox update yesterday, and my system is running really slow.

Booting up a game from the HD takes about a minute, is this normal?

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I know it's been out for awhile, but I just downloaded the latest xbox update yesterday, and my system is running really slow.

Booting up a game from the HD takes about a minute, is this normal?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'd clear the drive's cache, see if that helps, or if it runs faster with the drive not installed (though obviously that doesn't help diagnose the specific slowness of games installed to the drive!)

Oh, and I guess try reinstalling the game if you installed it prior to the update too. Maybe post-update it gets confused by the old game installs.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I know it's been out for awhile, but I just downloaded the latest xbox update yesterday, and my system is running really slow.

Booting up a game from the HD takes about a minute, is this normal?[/QUOTE]

What game are you talking about specifically since some take longer to load. I have a problem with my 360 registering that my game was installed on my hdd and my game list took forever to show up so I did maintenance on the hdd which is now officially, before you would do a button combo sequence with your controller, an option under your memory option within settings, last box to the right on the dashboard.

Yeah, thank goodness they just made that a normal option instead of a mystery button press.

They just need to include a defragmenter now! (and maybe take away the system cache-just tell older games that use it that it's not there, since it's really pointless now that games can be installed to the drive...and get Folding @ Home on there too!)

Is there still a way to get the Hard Drive Transfer Kit from Microsoft? I plan on getting the COD:MW2 360 Bundle and would like to move things over from my current HD to the newer one.

Various Games started freezing up tonight. Then the dashboard. Now I can't even get the dashboard/picture to show up on the TV. The controller just keeps flashing all four lights. No Red Rings though. Any ideas? Thanks!

question. i bought my arcade in december at BB, and got whatever warranty they offered for it. how would I go about getting a gift card for it and using that towards a new elite?

is there anyway to utilize Windows Media Center to create custom soundtracks for games? Is custom soundtracks only a feature we can use with ripped music?

[quote name='biznutch']Various Games started freezing up tonight. Then the dashboard. Now I can't even get the dashboard/picture to show up on the TV. The controller just keeps flashing all four lights. No Red Rings though. Any ideas? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Silly question, is the 360 plugged into the TV? The reason why I ask is that one time when I had moved my 360 back to my lcd monitor setup I forgot to plug it in and got the red flashing lights.

Figured this would be the best place to ask. I'm buying a 20GB hard drive from someone on another site. He's asking if I need a transfer kit to go with it. Since I'm still fairly new to the 360, I'm not sure if I need it.

I don't own or ever had a hard drive hooked up to my 360(it's an arcade system w/ 512Mb built in). So if that's the case, it should be simple as it would be like transferring files from a memory card to a hard drive w/ no hassles, right? Also, I'd probably have to format the hard drive too(if he hasn't already), right? I know there's a option in the settings for stuff like that(had to do it with the memory card with the update in August) .

Thanks for your time and hopefully someone can help me sort this out.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, plus the transfer kit doesn't work going to a 20GB hard drive anyway.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, it does. Says so on MS' site. It's suppose to work on any transfer, as long as it isn't from a bigger drive to a smaller drive.

So I went to go online and my 360 wouldn't connect to XBox Live tonight. I ran the test and it said "Unable to detect network hardware". I ended up unplugging and plugging back in my wireless adapter which fixed it. Strange, since my XBox hasn't been moved so there's no way it could've shifted or come loose. Are there known problems with the wireless adapter crapping out?

[quote name='keithp']So I went to go online and my 360 wouldn't connect to XBox Live tonight. I ran the test and it said "Unable to detect network hardware". I ended up unplugging and plugging back in my wireless adapter which fixed it. Strange, since my XBox hasn't been moved so there's no way it could've shifted or come loose. Are there known problems with the wireless adapter crapping out?[/QUOTE]

my wireless adapter doesnt turn on every once in a while..i just turn off the console and turn it back on and its fine

[quote name='Malik112099']my wireless adapter doesnt turn on every once in a while..i just turn off the console and turn it back on and its fine[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried but it didn't help. I looked on Xbox.com/support and it said reboot my router but none of my other PCs had any problems so I didn't think it was my network. Weird.

when that happens, I just turn off the Xbox, then the router, THEN the modem. Wait a minute and then turn everything back on in reverse order. Totally unscientific, but it usually does the trick for me, for whatever reason.

E74 last night! ONE DAY OUT OF WARRANTY..FU MSFT!! I notice the arcade model may or may not have NXE pre-installed on the on-board memory. I plan on using my standalone retail 120gb so I don't need the elite. Question is, what happens if NXE is pre-installed on the arcade unit, then its on my 120gb HDD as well? will there be some sort of epic clash and RROD or maybe one will override the other? will NXE on the 120 HDD be deleted or still on there??

If anyone has encountered this, please advise, I appreciate it!

Hey guys,

I bought my 360 a few months ago and I've yet to connect to the internet with it. My router is way too far to be able to connect with an ethernet and I've not really wanted to invest a $100 into a wireless adapter. So, now that I got my laptop back from repairs and was able to find a desk that would fit in the room with my 360, I decided to set my laptop up in the same room as the 360 and use my computer to connect with an ethernet cord.

So, I was getting ready to try it today after hearing it was really easy to do. To be on the safe side I did a quick search to see if I could find any information and make sure there weren't any steps I might miss. So, I found this site: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-laptop-as-an-XboxXbox-360-wireless-adap/ and wanted to check two things.

1. I'm using Vista, has anyone else connected with a Vista computer and if so, do these instructions seem correct?

2. I'm a little concerned about this line: "P.S.- This is new information. I just edited this on January 3, 2008. If you do this, you won't be able to connect to the internet through your Ethernet port anymore. Only providing internet will be possible. If you want to know how to fix this, scroll down to my comment about it." because I don't quite understand what it means. Does anyone else understand this or know what it means? I don't know if that means I can't use the ethernet on my laptop, on the 360, or what, but I'm not sure if this is something I should do if the ethernet can't be used anymore.

Thanks so much for any help, I really hope this works because I would love to try Live out, finally :D

Just make sure u can connect to the internet wirelessly with ur laptop. Then connect ur xbox to ur laptop via lan connection and a cable. Then bridge the connections by right-clicking on ur wireless connection and enable to internet connection sharing (ICS) box by clicking on the check box. Apply those settings and click OK. Then highlight both connections, so a right click, and select Bridge connections.

[quote name='christen25']Just make sure u can connect to the internet wirelessly with ur laptop. Then connect ur xbox to ur laptop via lan connection and a cable. Then bridge the connections by right-clicking on ur wireless connection and enable to internet connection sharing (ICS) box by clicking on the check box. Apply those settings and click OK. Then highlight both connections, so a right click, and select Bridge connections.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am able to connect with my laptop wirelessly and that is how I have it set up now.

So connecting the 360 this way doesn't cause any problems for the 360 or laptop? I've not heard of it anywhere else but on that site, so I wanted to make sure before I did anything. I'd like to try it, but don't want to cause damage to my 360 or my laptop, especially since I've been having major withdrawal while it was being repaired the past few months :D

Thanks again!

^I guess that Datel memory unit that uses micro sd cards can't be used anymore. I really would like to see an offical memory card larger than 512MB.

[quote name='token2k6']E74 last night! ONE DAY OUT OF WARRANTY..FU MSFT!! I notice the arcade model may or may not have NXE pre-installed on the on-board memory. I plan on using my standalone retail 120gb so I don't need the elite. Question is, what happens if NXE is pre-installed on the arcade unit, then its on my 120gb HDD as well? will there be some sort of epic clash and RROD or maybe one will override the other? will NXE on the 120 HDD be deleted or still on there??

If anyone has encountered this, please advise, I appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Nothing will happen. I bought an Arcade model that I updated last month and finally got a HDD for it last week. Both had NXE loaded on them and there was no problem with it being on both storage devices.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Microsoft bans unauthorized (read: non 1st party) memory units from the 360 with the upcoming dash update:

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/16/unauthorized-xbox-360-storage-devices.aspx[/QUOTE]

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^I guess that Datel memory unit that uses micro sd cards can't be used anymore. I really would like to see an offical memory card larger than 512MB.[/QUOTE]

I'd be pretty pissed if I had a 3rd party memory card and now had to go buy a new one, just because of this.

Wonder what, if anything, that'll mean for hard drives?

Got to say I'm not crazy about Microsoft's closed nature with the system, especially since Sony is literally the exact opposite with the Playstation's hardware. I buy 1st party anyway, so it's not a huge deal to me, although you'd think they'd WANT people to have tons of storage space...

(And yes, I'll probably sell my xbox for a larger one if they come out with a model I like :lol:)

Same here. I got my 120GB hard drive used at GS with a coupon, so it doesn't really affect me much. But it's getting quite annoying how anal MS is about this stuff. And of course, it does affect us in the sense that we're forced to pay insane prices for storage from them.

bread's done
Back