The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='getmyrunon']MTU settings pretty much have to be dealt with server side... The one thing you can try doing is running a bridge from your macbook > 360, but this takes a fair bit of knowhow.

You're better off bringing a case of doughnuts to the IT guys and seeing if someone will be nice and change it for you.[/quote]

Doesn't take that much knowhow. Just a really good write up. I hope this helps you out some.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/04/26/xbox-live-via-a-mac-laptop/

That's extra $15 deal sounds too good to be true. I hope it's true though because right now I'm down to $67 in GS credit and $8 in BB credit to get started again. Just bought a Madden PSP so I'm down quite a bit.

Just traded in a couple of games.

:ps3:Blacksite: Area 51 - $30
:ps3:Hellboy: The Science of Evil - $36
:ps3:Bladestorm: THYW - $36

Also, does gamestop mind if you trade in 2 Pokemon Mystery dungeon's at a time? One being Darkness and the other Time? Technically, they are two different games, but I'm wondering if someone's run into some problems.

Does the $25 entry for the Wii sweepstakes have to be before taxes or after taxes?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the same issue here at my university. The workaround is simply running a wired router, but each university is different. The reason being is that each new machine requires the user to log in and logging in isn't possible w/ the 360. If you can find a place that lets you do easy returns, it might be worth a shot.
Good luck.

It's probably the 360's graphics processor crapping out. My bro had the same problem with his 360 where it would cause seizure inducing flashes whenever he'd try loading up any game. His dashboard, oddly enough, was fine. I say try changing your video cables just to see if there's anything wrong with your HDMI / Component connector or whatever.

Otherwise, do you have a warranty through the store you bought it? Microsoft may not cover it as it's been past the one year mark (Elites came out in April 07, right?). Try calling them to see if they'll cover it under warranty. If they won't fix it, you might just have to wait until you get a RROD to force MS to repair it.

I just tried using a different HDMI cable, and now it won't display anything at all, and I get a message from my TV telling me to check the output signal. And I bought it at Walmart, so no, but I've got an extra year of warranty thanks to American Express.

Will Microsoft ask for a receipt showing when it was purchased? I doubt I still have it. I hope that doesn't mean I'm screwed.

[quote name='lmz00']I just tried using a different HDMI cable, and now it won't display anything at all, and I get a message from my TV telling me to check the output signal. And I bought it at Walmart, so no, but I've got an extra year of warranty thanks to American Express.

Will Microsoft ask for a receipt showing when it was purchased? I doubt I still have it. I hope that doesn't mean I'm screwed.[/quote]

Ouch. Did you try using component? There's a chance that your HDMI port on the TV is going bad...just a thought.

I don't think they'll ask for the receipt. They usually check it based on your console's serial number. If you end up going through AMEX, let me know how that goes. I've been meaning to look into that benefit they offer.

This conversation might get pretty long, so feel free to PM me.

[quote name='bgame2']You'd have to figure that they'd start advertising the sale today right? My thinkng is: tomorrow kicks off the weekend but a lot of people will probably stop in the store tonight so you'd want to start advertising slightly before the sale.[/quote]

My BBV put signs out advertising a labor day sale when i stopped by on Tuesday. Nothing particular about the sale just that there will be games and movies on sale.

[quote name='DarkRider23']That's extra $15 deal sounds too good to be true. I hope it's true though because right now I'm down to $67 in GS credit and $8 in BB credit to get started again. Just bought a Madden PSP so I'm down quite a bit.

Just traded in a couple of games.

:ps3:Blacksite: Area 51 - $30
:ps3:Hellboy: The Science of Evil - $36
:ps3:Bladestorm: THYW - $36

Also, does gamestop mind if you trade in 2 Pokemon Mystery dungeon's at a time? One being Darkness and the other Time? Technically, they are two different games, but I'm wondering if someone's run into some problems.

Does the $25 entry for the Wii sweepstakes have to be before taxes or after taxes?[/quote]

Traded both today. They won't care or even notice.

Was scoping out the 360/Wii games for potential flips at B1G1. Timeshift looks to have dropped to 14.99, and most stores I have been to have 10+ available for sale. Saw about 8 Wii titles marked 14.99 or lower also.

Edit: DMC4 360 was marked 14.99 as well.

So my wife was playing Guitar hero when my screen froze and pixelation and verticle white lines appeared.

So i restared and it looked ok.

I then started it again and it froze when starting

This happened several times. Sometimes it would freeze when i started it up, other time the dashboard would run for 1-2 minutes than the same freeze.

I called tech support and they had me disconnect my hard drive, it still happened.

They said i should send it back for repairs, costing me $99. is this my only option?

I was thinking of buying the $199 arcade version when it comes out and using my existing 20GB harddrive and wireless controller on it. Will that work.

Any advice on fixing it or what i should do.

Thanks

[quote name='xdl']
Edit: DMC4 360 was marked 14.99 as well.[/quote]

I knew I should have gotten rid of mine a long time ago... I bought it for full price and only played the first 3 missions. Should have waited. Oh well.

Passed by the closest Blockbuster to me and got Pokemon: MD and Iridium Runners :).

[quote name='sumsumma']So my wife was playing Guitar hero when my screen froze and pixelation and verticle white lines appeared.

This happened several times. Sometimes it would freeze when i started it up, other time the dashboard would run for 1-2 minutes than the same freeze.

I called tech support and they had me disconnect my hard drive, it still happened.

They said i should send it back for repairs, costing me $99. is this my only option?

I was thinking of buying the $199 arcade version when it comes out and using my existing 20GB harddrive and wireless controller on it. Will that work.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

While I can't speak to the "worth" of repairing versus a new arcade, I can tell you that you should have no issues with transitioning the existing controllers and harddrive to your xbox. From the issues you are describing it could be a red ring coming up, which means Microsoft will replace it for free, but until that red shows, Microsoft will charge you from replacement outside of warranty.

One of the things you can also do is recoup some of the cost, since the new system will come with an additional controller and a memory unit.

[quote name='sumsumma']So my wife was playing Guitar hero when my screen froze and pixelation and verticle white lines appeared.

Thanks[/quote]

I had the exact same thing. I think it is a sign of it getting to hot. After doing that for a week or so mine finally red ringed. wait till it red rings before you send it in that way it will be covered.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I knew I should have gotten rid of mine a long time ago... I bought it for full price and only played the first 3 missions. Should have waited. Oh well.

I'm in the same boat. Who would have thought DMC4 would've dropped in price so quickly?!

My BBV put signs out advertising a labor day sale when i stopped by on Tuesday. Nothing particular about the sale just that there will be games and movies on sale.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope they have a sale on games. I've got some BBV credit I'm itching to move back to GS. The Pokemon flip doesn't sound worthwhile when you factor in time and gas.

It only took a couple of days for mine to red ring after it was doing the same things that you were describing. Just keep playing until you kill it.

[quote name='ultramanJ']My BBV put signs out advertising a labor day sale when i stopped by on Tuesday. Nothing particular about the sale just that there will be games and movies on sale.[/quote]

I sure hope they have a sale on games. I've got some BBV credit I'm itching to move back to GS. The Pokemon flip doesn't sound worthwhile when you factor in time and gas.[/quote]

As I scoped out my blockbuster last night, I noticed a strange number of games that had been marked down to the $14.99 price. I'm wondering whether this was the product of routine markdowns or intentional catch-all mark-down designed to provide a large variety of games for another B1G1.

[quote name='bgame2']
As I scoped out my blockbuster last night, I noticed a strange number of games that had been marked down to the $14.99 price. I'm wondering whether this was the product of routine markdowns or intentional catch-all mark-down designed to provide a large variety of games for another B1G1.[/QUOTE]

Particularly strange as they marked UP a ton of games last time to avoid having them be part of the sale ;).

I noticed that one store I was at last night must have sold the Octomania I traded in. The girl who took the trade was really interested in it, so maybe she snagged it when it dropped to $14.99.

I seem to remember Labor Day sales in the past few years being YMMV local store things - like they decide individually what to have on sale and around here it was always just movies and no game stuff. So we'll see - if Warner is around he can fill us in.

On a completely off topic note, I just had a girl call my home office number and ask if I'm having any specials. See, my office number is very similar to that of the local pizza joint ;).

thanks for the advice so far, but since i already called microsoft will they charge me for the repair anyway, even if i then get the RROD?

[quote name='sumsumma']thanks for the advice so far, but since i already called microsoft will they charge me for the repair anyway, even if i then get the RROD?[/quote]

When you get the red ring. Tell them that it got the red ring, and they shouldn't charge you for that since it is covered for 3 years.

[quote name='io']...
On a completely off topic note, I just had a girl call my home office number and ask if I'm having any specials. See, my office number is very similar to that of the local pizza joint ;).[/QUOTE]

Insert "Big Sausage Pizza" jokes here. IO, I didnt know that was your side business... j/k

[quote name='io']Particularly strange as they marked UP a ton of games last time to avoid having them be part of the sale ;).
.[/quote]

The ones that I noticed were mainly wii games. That's partially what made me think twice about it. I don't own a wii, but I always scan over the price tags of wii games just so that I know (roughly) what the games sell for. They're usually in the 30's, but there were 5 or 6 different games I noticed all marked $14.99. I can't remember the names, but they were on one of the endcaps mixed with old 360 games. (i.e. Madden 06)

Ugh. Since someone moved this without retaining some sort of /reference/ to the question I answered, here's the original post.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I have been playing on Xbox Live for awhile, with a strict connection. I knew for a few months already that my router needed to be upgraded to the newest firmware version to have an open connection on Xbox Live. However, I have been told that after upgrading to the newest firmware version, that all the settings on the router would be reset.

I don't want to mess anything up because if I mess something up as I'd probably be without internet for a few days (oh no), but if I wrote all the settings down, etc.. before I upgraded the router to the newest firmware, then after, I re-entered all the same settings, would it work? Is it that easy?

Advice appreciated, Thanks.

- Chrono[/quote]

Yup. Should work fine. I would also look into port forwarding so that your Xbox 360 has an Open NAT status. It's easier than it sounds. Just google Xbox 360 port forwarding, then go to Portforward.com to find specific directions for your router.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'll cool down on the pokemon flips until we see what is brewing this weekend at BB. Don't want to cash out at BB and then have nothing left to get the cycle going with a trade 3 get $15 at GS.
Hopefully a good GS coupon will drop tomorrow for BB flips.
Need to check weather.com to see how this storm is developing :D

[quote name='nakanenui']Insert "Big Sausage Pizza" jokes here. IO, I didnt know that was your side business... j/k[/QUOTE]

Yeah, io's number is 1-866-SAU-SAGE :)

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I got a 50% bonus coupon this week at my GS. It's good until 8/31.

I was going to post it but I thought it wasn't allowed for some reason or really YMMV. I can't remember, but I'll scan it if you want.[/quote]

My local GS stores +50% ends this weekend :cry: But to restock my credit ready for more BBV profits, I sold them two Wii Fits today (bought using GameCrazy credit), which gets a cool 96$ each.

I know people hate this, but has anyone traded in Monster Madness: Grave Danger (PS3) recently? Wondering if Blockbuster or GameStop is a better deal. (I do have a 20% bonus trade in value coupon towards NHL 09...which is what I want).

Thanks!

[quote name='stoned99']My local GS stores +50% ends this weekend :cry: But to restock my credit ready for more BBV profits, I sold them two Wii Fits today (bought using GameCrazy credit), which gets a cool 96$ each.[/QUOTE]

Is this a coupon thing, or automatic? Does the promo number match the one on the receipt scan I posted yesterday?

The GS that gave me 50% + Edge is the closest one to me, but I actually hadn't been trading there much recently. If I find out they've been running the 50% thing for a while now I'll be pretty pissed. If they are, though, it would help to advertise it. I assume your store does advertise it?

[quote name='io']Is this a coupon thing, or automatic? Does the promo number match the one on the receipt scan I posted yesterday?

The GS that gave me 50% + Edge is the closest one to me, but I actually hadn't been trading there much recently. If I find out they've been running the 50% thing for a while now I'll be pretty pissed. If they are, though, it would help to advertise it. I assume your store does advertise it?[/quote]

You guys are lucky. The 6 closest gamestops around me never have any specials like that. It sucks big time.

On another note though, I finally saved up enough for my new road bike :). Just bought it today. Cost me $1176.99 total. I would like to thank all of you guys for providing me information. About $400 of the amount I paid came from flipping.

I can't wait to try it out on my next flipping run. Does anyone know if :ps2:Manhunt 2 still gets a base of $6? I'll probably be buying it tomorrow to make a total of 5 games to trade into GS.

[quote name='DarkRider23']You guys are lucky. The 6 closest gamestops around me never have any specials like that. It sucks big time.

On another note though, I finally saved up enough for my new road bike :). Just bought it today. Cost me $1176.99 total. I would like to thank all of you guys for providing me information. About $400 of the amount I paid came from flipping.

I can't wait to try it out on my next flipping run. Does anyone know if :ps2:Manhunt 2 still gets a base of $6? I'll probably be buying it tomorrow to make a total of 5 games to trade into GS.[/quote]

Just traded in a copy and I believe after everything was said and done, Manhunt 2 traded in for $8.40.

my friend told me to keep my xbox 360 horizontal so that it will less likely to RROD is this true ?

its the arcade bundle sku and i have to say im LOVING MY XBOX360! i just got it a few weeks ago!

also is the arcade sku less likely to rrod ? it has HDMI in the back

[quote name='Chronis']I'm a little curious about this BB thing. Do all Blockbusters take trade ins?[/quote]

Pretty much.... some will claim that they don't, but that's just because none of the employees ever learned how to.

I literally went to one BB I'd never been to before and practically got into an argument about it. He finally called the store manager, who stepped him through it over the phone.

So, apparently the manager at my local Blockbuster would not allow me to cancel pre-orders and put them on a value/gift card. I tried to do it while there were regular employees there and they didn't know how to do it. They tried and tried and were very apologetic when it didn't work. They said that I could come in when the manager is on duty the next day.

I told them it was no problem and left. I come in the next day and the manager is over an hour late. The employee tells me that he'll keep my account open and when the manager shows him how to cancel the pre-orders, he'll do it, put it on a gift card, and wait for me the next day.

I come in tonight to pick up my gift card and the employee tells me that the manager refused to cancel the pre-orders. Didn't give a reason. Just refused. The employee was very apologetic, and tried to void it without the manager there, but didn't have access.

So now I have to go in there tomorrow evening, purposely 3 hours after the manager is supposed to be on duty because I know he'll be late, and explain to him that according to the Blockbuster terms and conditions that is no reason why I should not be able to cancel these orders and how I could simply buy the games when they come out and return them for a full refund as per their policy.

What a pain in the ass.

It shouldn't matter since you have a newer system. I'm not sure it ever mattered even on the old systems, although someone else may know otherwise.

I'd keep it horizontal just to reduce the chance of it getting knocked over, if you have your choice in the space you're working with.

[quote name='io']Is this a coupon thing, or automatic? Does the promo number match the one on the receipt scan I posted yesterday?

The GS that gave me 50% + Edge is the closest one to me, but I actually hadn't been trading there much recently. If I find out they've been running the 50% thing for a while now I'll be pretty pissed. If they are, though, it would help to advertise it. I assume your store does advertise it?[/QUOTE]

IO, the coupon was a regional promo. Only 2 of the 10+ stores in my area were running it. On the coupon page was a list of other stores participating, most of them in the L.A. area. Of those two stores participating, only one really advertised it, and actually had plenty of fliers available on the counter. The promo code on my receipts are the same as yours #4654. It's unfortunate your store did not advertise it.
What's funny is that one of the clerks at one store suggested I trade in a Super Smash Bros Wii when I went to return it a few weeks ago. I was aware that it was possible to buy it with edge and coupon and trade it in for more with the 50% boost. He seemed genuinely excited by this exploit and mentioned that I'd be "making out like a bandit." That was definitely something I didn't want to risk doing as it would instantly raise red flags. But I found it funny that a GS clerk would actually insist I do it. Luckily, neither of us got into any trouble.

I've pretty much learned it already:

1. Scan membership card and make sure its a trade account
2. Type in Trade and press PF1
3. Scan items to be traded.
4. Confirm some things (not sure exactly, but i know they only hit 1 key on the keyboard)
5. Choose whether I want the the credit no the account or value card. If account, then select and it should print out receipts, first one for the trader to sign and return and the 2nd for the trader's records; if value card see steps 6-8
6. Scan the Reload Barcode
7. Scan the activation barcode
8. Enter the amount to be put on the value card.

I've walked two employees through it. Each time I get the "jeez, you should work here" comments.

Different websites and magazines who "tested" the XBox 360 claimed that having it horizontal decreased the chance of an RROD, I dont know how true it is. From what I have seen if you get a lot of use out of the system it will die on you either way.

And if yours is newer I wouldnt worry too much about it.

I would think vertical would help keep the system cooler but I have no idea. I try to keep mine horizontal because it's more stable so less chance of the disc getting scratched.

Trade account? IS that just something that needs to be activated on a regular account or woudl I have to get a new membership if I never did any trades before?

Vertical Console = Higher chance of disc drive failure.
Horizantal Console = Higher chance of RROD.

You may choose to not believe this ,but I could really care less if you have different experiences. It's what I was told, it's what Ive experienced. I'm on my 3rd console and have experienced both of them and in those positions.

bread's done
Back