The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

It will most likely work if you get it resurfaced by a *good* resurfacing machine. Most machines at chain stores aren't top of the line. The local game store in my area has an incredible one, but they only resurface discs once ever 2-3 weeks because the solution needed for it is $300 a gallon. They were able to get my copy of Nocturne looking and playing like new, before it had actual *gouges* in the disc.

If I was told right their is a class action lawsuit going on because of this. However that was someone at best buy that told me this.

I'm signing up for XBL right now. It says my email is already in use with an XBL account. How is this possible? I've never used XBL before.

[quote name='twen']Because then you buy the official VGA cable. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

For clarification, the 360 has adapters for RF, Composite, S-Video, Component, VGA, and HDMI. The PS3 has adapters for RF, Composite, S-Video, Component, and HDMI. You could buy a LCD TV that doubles as a monitor or has HDMI to broaden what you can use it with, but I got this screen for $129.99 last summer at Best Buy, regular sale price.[/quote]

What exact monitor did you get? I have been looking for a cheap monitor forever but I think I have been looking in the wrong places.

[quote name='Gamenads']Please Help!!!
I am getting a 360 soon and I want to know how to tell if it is the most recent model?[/quote]

Well considering that most people haven't even seen the new model, I don't think you can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most newer widescreen LCD's have a DVI input. This is basically HDMI without the audio. Monoprice sells a $4 converter cable from HDMI to DVI. Works perfectly for my PS3 and 360. It's actually cheaper to hook the PS3 up to my monitor.

[quote name='jer7583']Most newer widescreen LCD's have a DVI input. This is basically HDMI without the audio. Monoprice sells a $4 converter cable from HDMI to DVI. Works perfectly for my PS3 and 360. It's actually cheaper to hook the PS3 up to my monitor.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why I didn't think of this... maybe I will heavily reconsider a PS3 purchase sometime soon -- plus in the short run, to buy that adapter, as I have an Elite 360. IMHO the HDMI->DVI conversion may be better, because with the third party VGA cable I use, I have slight ghosting with the color white.

Edit: So in a nutshell, you can ignore a lot of what I said, and buy anything with HDMI or DVI, and you're set. Of course, the VGA option is still available for older 360 owners.

A couple of other things to consider:

- If you are going to go with a 360 VGA Adapter, you should look for a monitor that does 1 to 1 pixel mapping. This will ensure that the image will not be stretched to fill the screen. Some people don't mind this, but a distorted image would bug the crap out of me.

- If you are considering a monitor that has component or HDMI input, be sure to do your research. I have read that these inputs can have performance or image issues on some monitors.

I use an older Dell 24" flat panel to game on sometimes, and like the results. However, I use the VGA adapter when doing so because the component inputs on the monitor are a bit screwed up. Evidently, Dell fixed the issues in the next product revision, however.

What would be a good cooling solution for the 360? I heard the intercooler sucks. Would a laptop fan work well?
Also since I am getting the console what should I look for on the box to tell that it is a falcon, I think the falcons are the ones that are currently out?

External cooling for the 360 is useless. It either does so little that the noise isn't worth it, or it actually heats up the 360 more than it cools it down. Stick with the stock cooling, and keep it in a well-ventilated area. If you really want better cooling, do an internal fan mod.

I don't like making new threads, so I'll post this question here.

Is there a better Xbox 360 controller out there? I'm specifically talking about the inaccurate dpad that is causing me to blunder through Mega Man Anniversary Collection.

[quote name='Gamenads']Is it true that when you sign up for your first xbl account they give you one month free of gold?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is true.

[quote name='Access_Denied']External cooling for the 360 is useless. It either does so little that the noise isn't worth it, or it actually heats up the 360 more than it cools it down. Stick with the stock cooling, and keep it in a well-ventilated area. If you really want better cooling, do an internal fan mod.[/quote]

Problem with the internal mod cooling is that he has to know what he is doing or could fuck up his 360 and there is a possibility that he could red ring down the road and would have voided his warranty by modding his 360.

It's too risky to mod your 360 these days.

keep your xbox 360 out in the open, leave lots of room behind it where the cords plug in... and if you want put a fan on in the room... do not blow it directly on the 360... dust and crap could get in...

I second that notion that these 3rd party "cooling fans" are absolute garbage. Keep your 360 elevated on something which allows it to breath from all exhaust ports.

For example, I have mine mounted on top of an acrylic cylinder, which is on top of a utensil grate (which you can get from wal-mart for $5) It can breath in all directions, and is off the carpet.

~HotShotX

[quote name='ITDEFX']Problem with the internal mod cooling is that he has to know what he is doing or could fuck up his 360 and there is a possibility that he could red ring down the road and would have voided his warranty by modding his 360.

It's too risky to mod your 360 these days.[/quote]

X clamp?

I don't think you have much to worry about. My 360 is covered on all sides except the bad and front, and I'm in good shape. And if you do get a RROD, send it in. Or, if you've voided your warranty, use the X-Clamp fix. (Or the better option, buy a new warranty sticker on eBay.)

Can you download something while playing a game? (online and/or offline?) I know on PS3 for some reason things don't seem to download when I am playing a game online. (And by offline I mean a single player game, not during a game of COD4, etc.)

[quote name='Blackout542']Can you download something while playing a game? (online and/or offline?) I know on PS3 for some reason things don't seem to download when I am playing a game online. (And by offline I mean a single player game, not during a game of COD4, etc.)[/quote]Yes, you can download anything from the XBLM while playing single player on a game. As long as it doesn't automatically connect you to XBL MP, you're fine.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Yes, you can download anything from the XBLM while playing single player on a game. As long as it doesn't automatically connect you to XBL MP, you're fine.[/quote]

So if I'm playing multiplayer it's a no go?

[quote name='Blackout542']So if I'm playing multiplayer it's a no go?[/quote]I would imagine local multiplayer is fine, but as far as XBL multiplayer is concerned you are correct. They have it that way so that your connection to the game's servers aren't affected by the bandwith being hogged by your Active Downloads.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I would imagine local multiplayer is fine, but as far as XBL multiplayer is concerned you are correct. They have it that way so that your connection to the game's servers aren't affected by the bandwith being hogged by your Active Downloads.[/quote]

Oh ok. Good to know.

i have a friend that says his cousin works at microsoft and says there going to announce a new xbox at E3 does any one know if this is just a myth or if its really going to happen? ( i dont think so but i may be wrong)

There are tens of thousands of people that work at Microsoft. My personal experience is that the majority of them couldn't tell a PS3 from a 360. Given that this is coming from a cousin of a friend, the possibilities for the original information that led to this rumor are endless.

If your friend really thinks that Microsoft is announcing a new console and not just new versions of the 360 at E3, then I would make a very large bet with him that he is wrong.

You can bet they're already working on the next version of the xbox, and have been for awhile. I don't see why they would announce it right now since the 360 still has such a huge userbase and its only been a few years since its been out.

Why do arcade demos count on my gamercard? I have Texas Hold Em and Hexic HD on there, but I never bought em.

EDIT: It's not on mygamercard.net, but they do show up on xbox.com and on my dashboard.

call me crazy, but i bought nfs:most wanted in the bbv b1g1 with full intentions to trade it in and now am re-considering. even though i generally like sims more than arcade racers (loved gt3), i'm kinda enjoying the mindlessness of the racing (very different from forza 2). there's nfs:mw from bbv and nfs:carbon new via gamedays sale. what was the best nfs, and why?

My friend got his apartment broken into last week and had his 360 stolen. I'm hoping to track it down using the same methods that other people have done.

His Live User name is PC WIN.

If you happen to spot it, can you try and grab his IP and/or let me know?

My friend is a nice guy and didn't deserve to get ripped off.

Thanks.

Help!!!! I just picked up the orange box a couple days ago and was playing half life with my friend when my 360 froze.

Just two days later I play the Happy tree Friends demo and my screen goes black. I manually restarted the system only to have it freeze on the start up screen. I again restarted it and went and played that new activision golf game demo and it froze on a loading screen.

I need help, is anybody else experiencing similar problems. The system hasn't red ringed so I don't know what to do.

Someone with more info please help me out!!!

[quote name='kmiddlestadt']Help!!!! I just picked up the orange box a couple days ago and was playing half life with my friend when my 360 froze.

Just two days later I play the Happy tree Friends demo and my screen goes black. I manually restarted the system only to have it freeze on the start up screen. I again restarted it and went and played that new activision golf game demo and it froze on a loading screen.

I need help, is anybody else experiencing similar problems. The system hasn't red ringed so I don't know what to do.

Someone with more info please help me out!!![/quote]

You are going to red ring... There is nothing that is going to stop it now. Welcome to our world!

Don't you just love the concept that the 360 is a piece of shyt console but the experience keeps everyone coming back ?, were all masochists. But to answer your query your system is nearing it's cycle, the RROD will soon rear their ugly incandescence upon your life, wait it out then get M$ to fix it for ya until it relapses, like I said piece of shyt...

[quote name='Nephlabobo']My friend got his apartment broken into last week and had his 360 stolen. I'm hoping to track it down using the same methods that other people have done.

His Live User name is PC WIN.

If you happen to spot it, can you try and grab his IP and/or let me know?

My friend is a nice guy and didn't deserve to get ripped off.

Thanks.[/quote]

I'd say have your friend get in touch with Microsoft, supply his personal info, and get them involved in tracking it, if they do that sort of thing.

~HotShotX

does anyone know anything about this website?

REFURBISHEDXBOX360S.COM

they claim to sell refurbished xbox for $34.99 and free shipping

No problem.

I seem to have a knack for spotting a scam when I see one. Unfortunately, my mother does not. She fell for one recently. These scammers are getting more and more desperate, I guess.

BJ

has got the error E71, I tried all the unplugging and plugging everything back in......Basically I want to know is this covered under the Warranty, I bought this Xbox in Jan 08, my warranty does not expired till Jan 09 (will it cost me extra)?

PS. Their was no information in the Xbox FAQ Three Ring of Death thread, so I made a new thread since this has nothing to do with the Three Red ring error

Also the time it takes to get repaird is no problem at all since I have 2 more Xbox 360's spread through out the house

bread's done
Back