The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Remember, you dont need to buy games, I just picked up Jackie Chan's Thunderbolt and GTO vol. 1 for only $3.99 each ^_^ So dont forget to check out the dvd racks.

I am one of the poor souls still stuck with dial-up. I generally set up games to download over night while I have the system turned off with the background download option enabled. When I lose connection with dial-up though the system sits on for a bit and then turns off and doesn't continue the download until I manually turn on the system again.

Is there anything I can do to make the download continue after the dial up internet reconnects but before I turn the system back on?

Another question that stems from this is would it be hazardous to my 360's well being if I left the system on over night in a non-stand by mode to download (that way Live reconnects)? I have a new system with a Falcon chip and the system is in a well air conditioned room that has a ceiling fan running all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Link927']Remember, you dont need to buy games, I just picked up Jackie Chan's Thunderbolt and GTO vol. 1 for only $3.99 each ^_^ So dont forget to check out the dvd racks.[/quote]

where the HELL do you find anime dvds at BBV?! i have looked at ALL my locations and there is NONE to be found in the used DVD section?! It's all multiple copies of the same damn movie..

Gamerush takes preorders on anything just ask if its in the computer then go for it. As far as the win a Wii thing all you have to do is spend 25 dollars before tax and your good to go. You can do it every day for the whole period.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I actually went through this phase for a while, from when I was about 12 till I was about 17-18. I had played a game last on the Atari 2600, then when I got another system it was the Sega Genesis.

I think most of us have gone through this at one time or another.[/QUOTE]

Except for a few computer games I didn't really play many video games between the Colecovision and when I got a Gamecube - I think that was about 20 years (1983 or so - 2003) ;).

[quote name='akokonas']I pretty much just moved my 200 gamestop credit too bb and now I have nothing at gs and about 500 at bb I don't know if that was a smart move becAuse bb doesn't offer much. Anybody think moving some credit back to GS and still making a profit is going to be hard to do?[/quote]

Buy Wii Fits and sell them on Craigslist...

100 BBV -> 110-130 cash.

Then you can start the cycle again or just use the cash for better deals on games (amazon, CC, etc) then BBV.

I think I found a new flip. Alone in the Dark (Wii) is $17.54 -> $30. 1.7x, so not too bad.

Today was another great day. Found the case/manual for Wild Arms 5 that had been hiding from me at Gamestop. Also found a used Wii Sports for ebay ($6.50 -> $35, woot).

[quote name='msam']For those with a ton of credit at Blockbuster looking to either cash out or find something worthwhile to spend it on, it looks like the price cuts I mentioned a few weeks ago for all 360 cuts are true -

199.99 for the core
299.99 for the 60GB Xbox 360
399.99 for the Elite

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/20/sources-xbox-360-price-cut-week-of-sept-7-60gb-299-elite-3/[/quote]

Woot! If only I can find a 60gb system. Ive looked in all the stores with no luck.

Updated :wii: shopping list. I'm all out of GS credit, so I guess I'm done shopping for this round. ;)

Escape from Bug Island 2.37
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 2.22
Bust a Move Bash 1.97
Code Lyoko: Quest for Infinity 1.97
Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge 1.97
One Piece Unlimited Adventure 1.97
Cranium Kabookii 1.89
Rock and Roll Adventures 1.89
Spy Game Elevator Mission 1.89
Legend of the Dragon 1.88
Alone in the Dark 1.85
Space Chimps 1.85
Monster Jam 1.71
Chicken Little: Ace in Action 1.64
Battalion Wars 2 1.60
Dancing with the Stars 1.60
Jumper 1.54
Octomania 1.54
Arctic Tale 1.54
Balls of Fury 1.54
George of the Jungle 1.54
Mini Desktop Racing 1.54
Emergency Mayhem 1.42
Target Terror 1.42
Anubis 2 1.39
Balloon Pop 1.37
Ben 10 1.37
Castle of Shikigami III 1.37
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer 1.37
Obscure: The Aftermath 1.37
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords 1.37
Showtime Boxing 1.37
Super Swing Golf Season 2 1.37
Madden 07 1.33
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith 1.32

Traded in the following to BBV:

Wii
Bust a Move Bash - $23 (used 11.69 GS credit)
Cranium Kabooki - $16 (used 8.44 GS credit)
DBZ TB3 - $26 (used 11.69 GS credit)

PS3
The Club - $23 (got at target for $14.98 - wanted 360 version instead)
The Bigs - $11 (bought at CC for $12.21 - wanted 360 version instead)

Prey - $6 (used 3.19 GS credit)

Trade-ins grossed $105, which cost ~$35 in GS credit and ~$27 cash. Put in preorders for Mercs 2 and Fallout 3. Odd thing with Fallout 3 is that the local Blockbuster is offering the collector's edition only for the 360, yet they are projected to carry the PS3 regular edition. Even though the paper said they would only get the 360 collector's edition, they suggested I leave my reservation as is and they will swap it over. They are convinced there is no way they're going to carry the regular edition on one console and not another.

Edit - I picked up "The Club" for the 360 @ GS (used) for $11.99; so taking the fact I paid 15 for the PS3 one and traded it in for 23 (netting $8 in the black) I feel like I paid around $4 for the used 360 copy (11.99 price - $8 "profit" = $3.99)

For The Bigs, I ordered from family video (used) for $9.99 delivered. Paid 12.21 @ CC (Clearance, +20% promo + 10% Gamer's Card) so I kinda felt like I broke even there. I mean, total paid was a bit over 22, and I got 11 for the PS3 one, meaning I ended up feeling like I paid 11 for the 360 one.

[quote name='edavis0780']It's not that the upcoming lineup is blah, it feels like pretty much any game seems that way now. There are a few are still worth playing (Geometry Wars 2, Metal Slug), but it's a general feeling of malaise. I do have to admit, that last year's holiday rush was the shit.

I think flipping like crazy and having pretty much unrestricted access to any game or any console also plays a part in the decision. There are many times where I would look at my library for about 20 minutes without being able to make a decision (and it's pretty much a AAA library). I'm not trying to act "grown up" or "mature" either, it's more of a sidestep for me than forward movement.[/QUOTE]

DAMN YOU... now I'm starting to feel like that too:cry:

Anyway, returned something to Gamestop and picked up a Wii Dragon Ball Z 3 to flip (Octomania... Dragon Ball Z... the shame I endure for a profit!!!) Brought it to my local Gamerush. What seemed to be a new guy on duty said I couldn't trade it because they "didn't carry it" (wtf??? he didn't even sacan the game.) So after moping around the store kicking myslef for not getting the Bust A Move thing I had him call another Gamerush to see if they'd take it... sure enough, they did.

Dragon Ball Z 3 (Wii): $26

Despite having to travel a bit, it all worked out. Found a few things that I wanted at the other store, including the hugest collection of Clearance DVDs compared to the other stores in my area. Found something labeled "Batman the movie - 35th Anniv" (no artwork obviously) which I was assuming to be the '66 film with the "The Super Melecular Dust Seporator" marked at $3.99 but actually priced $1.99. It turns out to be the 1988 Tim Burton film, which I've lately wanted to get but didn't see available anywhere.:applause:

[quote name='animemaniac14']where the HELL do you find anime dvds at BBV?! i have looked at ALL my locations and there is NONE to be found in the used DVD section?! It's all multiple copies of the same damn movie..[/quote]

Yeah, you have to shift through the used dvds. At my BBV, its by alphabetiacal order, so I take some time looking through everthing, skipping the giant blocks of the same titles and looking at that one different case that sticks out. I wish they really put them by genre, but all the BBV I've been to use the alphabetical system. What was different about this visit was they actually put the spine up so I could read the titles instead of vertical with the front facing you, it took forever to look through everything that way -_-

If anybody is tempted to buy a Belkin Tunecast II FM transmitter (clearance $12.99), don't do it. It really sucks.... at least here in my area, YMMV based on location with FM transmitters obviously. My store also had tape adapters too, for $4.99, so I got one for my wife (my car doesn't have a tape deck).

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I wish blockbuster sold ipods...[/quote]

I wish my Blockbusters would sell LCD TVs like those test stores in Texas... :drool:

Traded in Dragon Ball Z...3, RR Adv, Cranium, and One Piece.
Got Hannah Montana 3D 2 Disc DVD set for $24.99. It rang up $26.99, but was stickered $24.99, so i got $2 credit back on my account. The shiny hologram cover that switches the image back and forth from Miley to Hannah makes me feel like a dirty old man. It was pretty cool but i think to the employee ringing me up thought i was enjoying it too much.

Also grabbed the Madden 09 Playbook, so watch out anyone in my CAG league!

With Alone in the dark now flippable, i may have to do a road trip. Need to total out how much I can make, then convice the wife to stay home with the kids while i go for a 'joyride'.

Man, please say that the TIV for DBZ 3 will hold. I just bought 2 and can't get over to BBV til tomorrow. One of them had a bonus disc, worth anything or anyone looking for it????

[quote name='yukafls']Man, please say that the TIV for DBZ 3 will hold. I just bought 2 and can't get over to BBV til tomorrow. One of them had a bonus disc, worth anything or anyone looking for it????[/quote]

yep definitely new here...

[quote name='animemaniac14']yep definitely new here...[/quote]

New, I have been here for a couple of years(can't remember atm) Tis is the first time I have gotten into flipping.

I was going to return the gow psp I had unopened today. I even took it in my car, but I thought about it for a bit and I'm going to instead try and sell it. Either here or somewhere else. Not sure what I'd get for it, but I still got $130+(+madden psp) gs credit and $50+ bbv credit. I think a cashout would be better for me than more GS credit. $215 GS credit or some cash? what would you guys do?

Also went to 3 GSs today, couldn't find anything worth flipping, no DBZ 3, no nothing. My area got cleaned out within a day of me checking GS.com.

Also about the beats contest, I'll check back the pages I've missed the past 2 days and see if anyone else wanted in besides the people in the original contest (ink.so.well excluded).

forgot to ask, but what are you guys doing as of now, I have not flipped for a bit, went out today but nothing.

Are you guys emptying your GS credit and transferring it to BBV or what? I always thought GS credit was more valuable. but 1.7+ from GS--->BBV might be worth it even if I feel BBV credit is not worth nearly as much as GS credit.

[quote name='yukafls']New, I have been here for a couple of years(can't remember atm) Tis is the first time I have gotten into flipping.[/quote]
That's probably what he meant your new to flipping that is the reason why u don't know the date when the TIV in BBV's changes:cool::applause:.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']forgot to ask, but what are you guys doing as of now, I have not flipped for a bit, went out today but nothing.

Are you guys emptying your GS credit and transferring it to BBV or what? I always thought GS credit was more valuable. but 1.7+ from GS--->BBV might be worth it even if I feel BBV credit is not worth nearly as much as GS credit.[/quote]

Well, BBV looks like it gives a little more credit than normal. But like I said, I have just started flipping.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']forgot to ask, but what are you guys doing as of now, I have not flipped for a bit, went out today but nothing.

Are you guys emptying your GS credit and transferring it to BBV or what? I always thought GS credit was more valuable. but 1.7+ from GS--->BBV might be worth it even if I feel BBV credit is not worth nearly as much as GS credit.[/quote]

I am becoming more and more warm to the idea. If BBV ever begins ADVERTISING that they take games/trades and PROMOTE that they sell games via local ads their stock of used games would increase giving us a better selection which to use credit on. However, even with it lacking in that category they are getting in some decent games in the near future that I was going to buy new anyways so that is why I shifted some credit (Mercs 2, SW force unleashed, Fallout 3). If the rumor of Ninja Gaiden 2 dropping to 18 used is true that is one more reason to keep some credit at BBV.

[quote name='yukafls']New, I have been here for a couple of years(can't remember atm) Tis is the first time I have gotten into flipping.[/quote]
Wow Jimmy! Look at the SIZE of that e-penis!

Why would I want to buy a new release at Gamestop for $60 of my credit when I can flip anywhere from $28-30 of it for a full priced game at Blockbuster (which I will keep but I suppose some will sell for cash)? The only thing I would do with Gamestop credit is move it for double at BB and then when that "perfect storm" situation comes round again I can buy from BB and get more credit at GS just so I can move it back to BB and have more than I did in the first place. My totals right now are $125 at GS and I have a full pre-order for fallout 3, gears 2, and 30 on little big planet.
I should say this though. The only reasons I can think of for leaving credit at GS is if you buy a used game you can't find anywhere else. Or if there is a B2G1 sale and you magically find three flippable games at one GS. Anybody got any others?

[quote name='joker______']i just heard from a friend that Ninja Gaiden 2 just dropped to $30 new & $18 used at BB can any one else confirm this?[/quote]

Hmm, that doesnt sound right as everyone else is still selling it for $60. Maybe they got NG2 mixed up with Sigma?

I will check later, but I probably wont be home til after 9 since its the last day of the 25% coupon.

[quote name='Bezerker']Hmm, that doesnt sound right as everyone else is still selling it for $60. Maybe they got NG2 mixed up with Sigma?

I will check later, but I probably wont be home til after 9 since its the last day of the 25% coupon.[/quote]

Yeah, Berzerker sounds right on that one. If they dropped Ninja Gaiden 2 they would have probably made it $50 like Grid or, if you're lucky $40 like Army of Two. No reason that I can come up with for a drop like that. Plus, if the new price dropped to $30, the used would be $25 since there is almost always a $5 difference with games at BBV.

[quote name='LordVila']I am one of the poor souls still stuck with dial-up. I generally set up games to download over night while I have the system turned off with the background download option enabled. When I lose connection with dial-up though the system sits on for a bit and then turns off and doesn't continue the download until I manually turn on the system again.

Is there anything I can do to make the download continue after the dial up internet reconnects but before I turn the system back on?

Another question that stems from this is would it be hazardous to my 360's well being if I left the system on over night in a non-stand by mode to download (that way Live reconnects)? I have a new system with a Falcon chip and the system is in a well air conditioned room that has a ceiling fan running all the time.[/QUOTE]

I am in a similar situation. Unfortunately dialup is my only option. I also had a problem with losing my connection, but since I've switched providers I've been able to leave my 360 on all night in standby without a problem. If you leave the system on and lose your connection it still won't automatically reconnect to live once your connection is restored and would be hard on the system.

I'm fresh out of GS credit because it's all at BB. I need to find some ways to get some of that back to GS (even if it's just even trade) so I can keep doing this without cash out of pocket. Maybe I'll call around to see if anyone has Mario Kart Wii in stock.

[quote name='LordVila']I am one of the poor souls still stuck with dial-up. I generally set up games to download over night while I have the system turned off with the background download option enabled. When I lose connection with dial-up though the system sits on for a bit and then turns off and doesn't continue the download until I manually turn on the system again.

Another question that stems from this is would it be hazardous to my 360's well being if I left the system on over night in a non-stand by mode to download (that way Live reconnects)? I have a new system with a Falcon chip and the system is in a well air conditioned room that has a ceiling fan running all the time.[/quote]

No, but see if there are any unsecured wireless networks nearby using ur laptop or whatever. If there are, buy the Linksys wireless b gaming adapter for $15-$20 on ebay.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']The only reasons I can think of for leaving credit at GS is if you buy a used game you can't find anywhere else. Or if there is a B2G1 sale and you magically find three flippable games at one GS. Anybody got any others?[/quote]

I don't have GR near me, and the BBVs have a limited selection of new games. And since I don't mind buying used, the coupons/availability at GS means I value credit there more. (As I patiently wait for a B2G1 sale for games I'll actually keep rather than flip.)

[quote name='Segasonic01']Looks like I might be stuck with a disc only copy of DBZ :( I already peeled off the GS barcode so I can't take it back either.[/quote]

The barcode doesn't need to be on there to return a used game to Gamestop, at least in my experience. It's pretty simple for them to reprint a barcode... just like they do when they take them as a trade in. If you're within the 7 days no-questions-asked period, it shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Looks like I might be stuck with a disc only copy of DBZ :( I already peeled off the GS barcode so I can't take it back either.[/QUOTE]

why did the price drop?

[quote name='Rob26Smith']why did the price drop?[/quote]

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's just having trouble trading it in without the cover art.

^ I did that. The guy took it out & told me it was fake. He said he could look it up but he isnt supposed to take it w/o the art, which is BS. They sell them like that, but they dont take them like that? At least GS does.

Finally snagged a Wii at my local BBV! Thanks to the awesome people in this thread! Now my daughter won't wonder how come I'm buying Wii games when we don't own a Wii.

[quote name='salty tbone']I don't have GR near me, and the BBVs have a limited selection of new games. And since I don't mind buying used, the coupons/availability at GS means I value credit there more. (As I patiently wait for a B2G1 sale for games I'll actually keep rather than flip.)[/quote]
Pretty much how it is for me too. There isn't a Gamerush anywhere within an hour of where I live, while there are multiple Gamestops, so the GS credit is a bit more worthwhile to me.

Then again, considering that flips from GS to BBV typically causes credit to multiple, even a 1:1 flip from BBV to GS isn't a bad tradeoff. That said, are the three or four games listed on the first page the only viable BBV > GS flips?

I haven't been on this board too much since the perfect storm last month (it just moves too fast for me to keep up). I see a lot of posts about TIVs holding. Has BBV starting changing TIVs on a daily basis, or do they still only take place on Tuesdays?

Also, do you think it's a stretch to find a new copy of Mario Kart DS at a normal, non-GR store?

bread's done
Back