The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Stopped in to get movies for my kids for the weekend roadtrip and decided to buy Crosswords DS for my wife.

I was surprised when it rang up as $14.99 instead of the $19.99 that it was stickered.

So NEW :ds: Crosswords DS is apparently $14.99.

So I'm feeling a bit sheepish that my Labor Day weekend sale rumor may not pan out. :(

Dropped in at a non-Gamerush Blockbuster on the way back to work today. Said that I had heard from the manager at the nearby Gamerush store that there was going to be a Labor Day weekend sale. The assistant manager that I often trade to told me that all she knew about was the Three for $20 movies sale. However she did say there may be more that she didn't know about. She told me they would have their bins out front tomorrow.

I really hope the sale is on, I want the copy of Beyond Good and Evil they have. Plus that store is loaded down with $14.99 and under Wii games. And I've seen several PS3 games marked $14.99 at the Gamerush store.

Someone posted a few days ago that FEAR Files (360) was marked down to $15; if so, this might be a good candidate for flipping with a Gamestop +$15 deal, since GS is still selling it for $25.

[quote name='Chronis']Trade account? IS that just something that needs to be activated on a regular account or woudl I have to get a new membership if I never did any trades before?[/quote]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193121

It looks like someone else confirmed the whole Trade 3 next gen, get $5 per game. It may be possible to salvage the flips from the last BB thread, and maybe some from the 30% GS bonus thread, but i've got one flip for monday's new deal:

Metal Slug Anthology (Wii): $9.99 -> $12.70

[quote name='Littlefields']Vertical Console = Higher chance of disc drive failure.
Horizantal Console = Higher chance of RROD.

You may choose to not believe this ,but I could really care less if you have different experiences. It's what I was told, it's what Ive experienced. I'm on my 3rd console and have experienced both of them and in those positions.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. You're going to get better ventilation if it's horizontal (heat rises).

I had an elite that I always had horizontal get the RROD so I really don't think it matters. Horizontal or vertical, unfortunately it's just a matter of time before the Ring hits.

[quote name='stoned99']My local GS stores +50% ends this weekend :cry: But to restock my credit ready for more BBV profits, I sold them two Wii Fits today (bought using GameCrazy credit), which gets a cool 96$ each.[/quote]

Waiiiiittt a minute. Wii Fits get $96 in GS credit!? What does GS offer in terms of warranties for systems? This may finally be my easy way out of frustration alley and right into next gen console bluv. >_>

[quote name='Bezerker']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193121

It looks like someone else confirmed the whole Trade 3 next gen, get $5 per game. It may be possible to salvage the flips from the last BB thread, and maybe some from the 30% GS bonus thread, but i've got one flip for monday's new deal:

Metal Slug Anthology (Wii): $9.99 -> $12.70[/QUOTE]

Oh, crap, I just wrote a big long post about how I only got $9.80 for it and they must have hosed me and somehow entered it as the PS2 version or something. But then I just realized you are talking about the upcoming $5 bonus promo (yeah, it says it right there but I was skimming ;)). It would then be $7 + $5 + $.70 for Edge = $12.70 :oops:. Oh well, at least I caught myself before posting my rant!

That's a fine transfer but highly YMMV on finding a copy. I've only seen one for sale across 10 or so Blockbusters. We need some stuff that every store has converted like Iridium Runners.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Waiiiiittt a minute. Wii Fits get $96 in GS credit!? What does GS offer in terms of warranties for systems? This may finally be my easy way out of frustration alley and right into next gen console bluv. >_>[/QUOTE]
After the 50% promo and edge ($60 + $6 + $30).

[quote name='JJSP']After the 50% promo and edge ($60 + $6 + $30).[/quote]

Looks like I'd better start hunting down a scan of the coupon before Sunday.

Thanks.

[quote name='nietzsche74']I wonder if anyone remembers that the Gamestop 25% off Original Xbox games coupon came out before the 360 one last time.[/quote]

Hopefully they'll combine them for a super coupon ;)

I want to know how I am able to use my macbook's wireless connection to power my xbox live. I tried to enable sharing but the IP said it was already in use by some other device on my mac. Do I need an extra ethernet adapter like some other tutorials ask for or can I just use the single ethernet port on my book? I am open to suggestions because my university needs you to use their service to log in to the internet otherwise I would just straight shoot it into the jack. Let me know what you all think!

I just went to a new Blockbuster that was awesome and traded in Sega and Blacksite. The two guys working there were hilarious. First we started talking about postal and its awfulness and then one employee was talking about the home beta and how average it was. (pretty glitchy right now I guess) Apparently this guy was even on g4 one time. We all exchanged gamertags and went on our merry way. And would you believe he was a manager? He also bragged about getting over 40 for army of two WAY after it came out by trading to blockbuster.

Went to GS during my lunch break, well after I ate. Was planning on going to 2 GSs but forgot I was even going then realized when we were at Yoshinoya.

Got 3 games and my coworker got me another.

History channel
Blacksite
Rock band
Poker game

They also had a bin with a few 50% games, there was a The Club 360 marked at 17.99 with a 50% sticker on it. So I got that too. $8.xx not too bad. It was mispriced though, I think it rang up originally at $25. Does it get anything at BBV, I was figuring guessing it would at least get $13?

Anyone hear anything on this "$15 bonus deal". Is it worth it to risk saving a few games I have (next gen) until after the 30% bonus?

[quote name='DarkRider23']On another note though, I finally saved up enough for my new road bike :). Just bought it today. Cost me $1176.99 total. I would like to thank all of you guys for providing me information. About $400 of the amount I paid came from flipping.[/QUOTE]

Man, I wish my Blockbuster sold motorcycles.

There were two work around in the dorm for me.

1.) Use a router

or

2.) Change everything on the xbox (Mac address, IP, DNS, etc.) to match that of your computers.

Good luck.

[quote name='kojubat']Man, I wish my Blockbuster sold motorcycles.[/quote]

You probably have to preorder them.

I've had mine horizontal since launch in an open area, not a closed cabinet(i.e. plenty of ventilation), and am on my fourth console.

[quote name='autche']I traded in The Club 360 last week and it fetched $19 (PS3 got me $23)[/quote]

glad to hear... If it is $19 you might wnt to add it to the op, io. I checked GS.coma dn its $30 -50%-edge. So $12.xx->$19
but is it part of the 50% sale, or just a throw in or what?

I hope my local BBVs have some pokemons. I stopped by one on the way home. Had to return a movie my gf rented. I was going to trade the games I got in, but I left 2 at home and I hadn't taken the stickers off my latest buys. This was at 11:20 mind you. But I did ask if they had any of those pokemon games, and they didn't have any. But they have virtually zero games, only thing I saw there was one nintendo ds and a guitar hero on tour. Thats it. But this was at a BB I never went to by my work. One of my local BBVs has a gamerush in it, of at least they have a separate counter/section for games anda lot of game stuff, controllers, all consoles, is this normal for a BBV? Although I never trade in there since the manager has a pinecone up his a$$ everytime I tried to buy the b1g1 games. He insisted every time that its the cheaper game that was free. I just took them to another register.

[quote name='io']
That's a fine transfer but highly YMMV on finding a copy. I've only seen one for sale across 10 or so Blockbusters. We need some stuff that every store has converted like Iridium Runners.[/quote]

Well, it would probably be best to take the list of 360 games from the old thread (like the PotC's, Shrek's, Earth Defense Forces's, etc) and maybe the ones from your 30% thread and see what can be had. I'm taking Tuesday off so I have a nice 4 day weekend, so i'll have plenty of time to do some flipping. I'll probably hit up some of the other cities ive been ignoring.

Just read this in the Dead GS coupon thread if anyone missed it:

[quote name='EdsHead']I know for sure it's 25% off used Xbox and Xbox 360 games. We got the store e-mail at the store last night. I don't remember the details about the rest of the deals, sorry.[/quote]

Looks like it's time to start scoping out possible GS flips. I made a small list of possibles based solely on recent 360 price drops. These are GS prices listed first without Coupon and Edge, then after:

Dead Rising --$18/$11.70
Condemned 2 --$18/$11.70
Mass Effect --$30/$19.50
Viking --$18/$11.70
Kane and Lynch --$25/$16.25
Orange Box --$27/$17.55
The Club --$15/$9.75
Cabela's Trophy Bucks, Alaskan Adventure, Big Game Hunter --$20 a piece/$13 a piece
Hellboy: Science of Evil --$35/$22.75

They have this at my University and I had to find a way around it when I lived on campus. A wired router should work as long as you have both connected to the router and you login into Cisco with you computer. I have also heard from friends that a switch will work, but I have never had any problems with a router.

Yep, pull up your network settings and copy your MAC address, IP address, and everything else.

Be careful with routers. Our university hunted down people using them. Even the RAs were trained to look for them during semester room inspections.

You can bridge the signal using your macbook, but it requires the 360 to be able to accept wireless (unless you have a strong wireless connection in your room). You would need the wireless adapter or another means to have the 360 accept the wireless signal from your macbook.

Orange Box is no good - I'm pretty sure the BB/GR used price of that is $25.

Doubt Condemned 2 is any good either... I think it just went rental -> used, since every BB/GR in my area has at least 8-10 used copies on the shelf.

Oh I forgot to ask, but does Bladestorm ps3 get anything at BBV. I saw one today, but passed on it since I remembered it was only posted as a 360 flip

does the 50% sale (prey/vamp rain) stack with 25% coupon?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Oh I forgot to ask, but does Bladestorm ps3 get anything at BBV. I saw one today, but passed on it since I remembered it was only posted as a 360 flip

does the 50% sale (prey/vamp rain) stack with 25% coupon?[/quote]

For most of the newer games it's gonna be $36 for the :ps3: version and $35 for the :360: version.

And it's very YMMV for stacking those promos.

[quote name='whymustiregister on 8/24']Saturday night TIV (after midnight EDT):

:ps3: Bladestorm: Hundred Years War - $36 (1.58 ratio)[/quote]

[quote name='GuardianE']Just read this in the Dead GS coupon thread if anyone missed it:

Looks like it's time to start scoping out possible GS flips. I made a small list of possibles based solely on recent 360 price drops. These are GS prices listed first without Coupon and Edge, then after:

Dead Rising --$18/$11.70
Condemned 2 --$18/$11.70
Mass Effect --$30/$19.50
Viking --$18/$11.70
Kane and Lynch --$25/$16.25
Orange Box --$27/$17.55
The Club --$15/$9.75
Cabela's Trophy Bucks, Alaskan Adventure, Big Game Hunter --$20 a piece/$13 a piece
Hellboy: Science of Evil --$35/$22.75[/quote]

Just called in for a few values.

Kane and Lynch and Mass Effect are a bust at a dollar loss each.

The Club- $15
Dead Rising- $15
Viking- $15
Cabela's Big Game Hunter- $22

The most promising of these seems to be Cabela's Big Game Hunter. If someone wants to check the other Cabela titles, that might prove fruitful. My original post was incorrect saying that it was $20. It's actually $18 for an $11.70-> $22 conversion. Not too shabby at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually its not impossible. I have seen things about it online including this website. I am just wondering the correct procedure.

Cabela's Trophy Bucks gets the same ratio as Big Game Hunter, and I made a mistake in my earlier post. It's 17.99, which makes the discounted price 11.70. That makes the ratio of these games 1.88.

Did PMD hold so far for converting back the GS?

[quote name='GuardianE']Cabela's Trophy Bucks gets the same ratio as Big Game Hunter, and I made a mistake in my earlier post. It's 17.99, which makes the discounted price 11.70. That makes the ratio of these games 1.88.

Did PMD hold so far for converting back the GS?[/quote]

It did as of last night. Traded in a copy myself.

Hopefully it will throughout the weekend. :D

[quote name='DanteMayCry']It did as of last night. Traded in a copy myself.

Hopefully it will throughout the weekend. :D[/quote]

I've actually not been converting so much from GS-->BBV lately.

Since I've exhausted all Power Rangers and Iridium Runners, I should be looking for PMDs, Golden Compass for PS2, what else? I don't think I can find Manhunt 2 PSPs.

[quote name='GuardianE']Cabela's Trophy Bucks gets the same ratio as Big Game Hunter, and I made a mistake in my earlier post. It's 17.99, which makes the discounted price 11.70. That makes the ratio of these games 1.88.

Did PMD hold so far for converting back the GS?[/quote]

Cabela's Trophy Bucks has a $22 TIV? Your post really didn't confirm it. Just need the confirmation.

And what is PMD?

[quote name='nietzsche74']If the TIV of Vampire Rain (360) held at $12, it might be worth considering ($6.50 at Gamestop after Edge.)[/quote]

Vampire rain is listed as 9.99 on Gamestop.com, and I believe they reflect the 50% off there. Is it really 9.99 base at B&M before the discount?

bread's done
Back