The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='cg1407']Figured I'd post this because some people may be interested. Here are the price updates for games starting tomorrow:

NEW RETAIL

USED GAMES
[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks man. I really want to get BF:BC now.

[quote name='whatup5']Nice, thanks man. I really want to get BF:BC now.[/quote]

Don't due it man... It is like the ever so tempting hot teen you see who is actually 17. It looks good, but really you'll just end up living in regret. Or trading it right back in.

Also thanks dys006 for all the updates on the flipping shopping list for tomorrow.

Some nice drops this week, on top of Timeshift & Fear Files; Boom Blox should be $30 -> $32.50 if you buy it new, or $25 -> $32.50 if you can find it used.

Just a heads up though. If you find a Timeshift with the barcode 74272527135, hang onto it. FYE pays $15 cash, $18.75 credit, or $21.75 if you pre-order a game.

Just posting to say that after reading and pouring through page after page of these posts, I made my first trade today. I traded in a copy of EOJ (from the $29.92 Walmart deal) in for $30 and then immediately used that to pick up a copy of Heavenly Sword (for $30). I can see where I could easly get caught up in this flipping stuff.

Thanks CAG!

BTW, one question: When flipping, do you make any attempts to remove the BBV or GS stickers / pricing info off the boxes? I read through the first post and I didn't see it mentoned.

Yowza, Mass Effect is dropping to 24.99. I'm gonna dump my copy off tonight. I feel bad having advanced information for my own benefit, but meh. Everyone for themselves.

[quote name='Muffin_Man']Just posting to say that after reading and pouring through page after page of these posts, I made my first trade today. I traded in a copy of EOJ (from the $29.92 Walmart deal) in for $30 and then immediately used that to pick up a copy of Heavenly Sword (for $30). I can see where I could easly get caught up in this flipping stuff.

Thanks CAG!

BTW, one question: When flipping, do you make any attempts to remove the BBV or GS stickers / pricing info off the boxes? I read through the first post and I didn't see it mentoned.[/quote]

I see a ban in your near future... removing price stickers is common sense. and i hope you sold the camera on ebay or something becuase a $30-$30 flip is not a flip.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yowza, Mass Effect is dropping to 24.99. I'm gonna dump my copy off tonight. I feel bad having advanced information for my own benefit, but meh. Everyone for themselves.[/quote]

Actually the advanced info isn't really an everyone for themselves attitude. It's more like the collective CAG community looking out for each other and helping a fellow CAG out when we can. (I mean I am relatively new but at least thats how it seems to be.) If anything its an "us" against the corporate "them". Just my thoughts.

And just to clarify..the BB price changes have an effective date of 9/28 so I'm assuming its a 12:01 am thing.

[quote name='Muffin_Man']BTW, one question: When flipping, do you make any attempts to remove the BBV or GS stickers / pricing info off the boxes? I read through the first post and I didn't see it mentoned.[/quote]

I definitely do. The less you stand out, the better.

[quote name='cg1407']Actually the advanced info isn't really an everyone for themselves attitude. It's more like the collective CAG community looking out for each other and helping a fellow CAG out when we can. (I mean I am relatively new but at least thats how it seems to be.) If anything its an "us" against the corporate "them". Just my thoughts. [/QUOTE]
Um... I know I worded it a bit strange, but it doesn't make any logical sense to think that's what I meant.

Do you know if Timeshift for PS3 is dropping to 9.99 also?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Um... I know I worded it a bit strange, but it doesn't make any logical sense to think that's what I meant.

Do you know if Timeshift for PS3 is dropping to 9.99 also?[/quote]

Umm..my bad I guess. I still don't understand what the hell you were saying but I'll attribute that to no sleep and still having to be up for another 2 hours before I work an open to close tomorrow at BB.

In reference to Timeshift there was nothing on the sheet but I'll check at work tomorrow but I wont be able to post until after 11pm so I'm sure someone could call tomorrow and get you an answer a lot quicker. I have 7 time shifts at my store that I would like to flip but thats a damn lot of gamestops to find...i have three. I guess I could spread them out over time.

[quote name='cg1407']Umm..my bad I guess. I still don't understand what the hell you were saying but I'll attribute that to no sleep and still having to be up for another 2 hours before I work an open to close tomorrow at BB.
[/QUOTE]
I meant exactly what you said.
"Everyone for themselves" as in the fight against corporations-- and everyone for themselves meaning that Blockbuster should adjust their tradein policies if they want to turn a profit (I'm only assuming that Blockbuster is losing money on the game trading, but I could be wrong)

[quote name='king007']I see a ban in your near future... removing price stickers is common sense. and i hope you sold the camera on ebay or something becuase a $30-$30 flip is not a flip.[/QUOTE]

Unless he wanted the camera.

Just a warning, Victorious Boxer (Wii) shows up as an invalid UPC when scanning at BBV. If you happen to get a lazy/ignorant CSR, they won't take the trade in. I got 3 today and had to go to 5 BBVs to trade 2 of them. The last one I have will be returned or I might just keep it. I am a boxing fan and this seems like a decent game.

[quote name='captnjack']Just a warning, Victorious Boxer (Wii) shows up as an invalid UPC when scanning at BBV. If you happen to get a lazy/ignorant CSR, they won't take the trade in. I got 3 today and had to go to 5 BBVs to trade 2 of them. The last one I have will be returned or I might just keep it. I am a boxing fan and this seems like a decent game.[/quote]

Same here, the CSR knew what he was doing for mine though.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Thanks a lot CG14.

FEAR Files $9.99->$13.80
Time Shift $9.99->$11.60

And are you sure these games drop in price tomorrow? I don't want to go in there, buy them tomorrow morning and then feel like an idiot returning them. =/[/quote]

Instead of just walking up to the cashier and buying them, go up and ask "for a price check to see if they've gone down in price at all yet." :applause:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I meant exactly what you said.
"Everyone for themselves" as in the fight against corporations-- and everyone for themselves meaning that Blockbuster should adjust their tradein policies if they want to turn a profit (I'm only assuming that Blockbuster is losing money on the game trading, but I could be wrong)[/quote]

Yeah! Fight the power!

Anyway, yes I would agree that we are losing quite a bit of money on trading, but we've seen this genius tactic before with another BB competitor:

(Inside the Corporate Blockbuster meeting)
"Woah, Netflix has this amazing new service and they're getting a lot of our customers."
"Oh no, what do we do?"
"Wait, lets end late fees!"
"Sure it'll lose us millions of dollars in revenue, but hey when Netflix is gone everything will be awesome!"
"OOOh! We could even start our own Netflix, make it much crappier, charge more and dick our customers service plans around until they have no idea whats going on (and when Netflix is gone everything will be awesome)!"
"Yeah, just as long as we keep throwing money at that Netflix problem it'll go away."
.................months later..............
"Where the #*&^$ did all of our money go?"
"Uhh..project Netflix Annihilation, sir."
"Oh yeah, hows that coming?"
"Well Netflix is still kicking our ass, we lost a ton of money, and the customers we managed to steal back from Netflix have no clue what the hell is going on."
"Oh great what do we do now?"
"I hear the gaming business is getting bigger........"

[quote name='DarkRider23']Thanks a lot CG14.

FEAR Files $9.99->$13.80
Time Shift $9.99->$11.60

And are you sure these games drop in price tomorrow? I don't want to go in there, buy them tomorrow morning and then feel like an idiot returning them. =/[/quote]

Then you look in your wallet and frown. What's that? Damn, you forgot your cash/card. Guess you'll have to pick it up later!

TIV (9/27):

Alone in the Dark Wii - $30
Sea Monsters - $23
Code Lyoko Wii - $20
Bladestorm PS3 - $36
Monster Jam Wii - $30

I tried trading in AitD:SE (Wii) at 2 BB but was denied since the game didn't scan. I asked then to type the name in but neither of the clerks would do it. Most of the BB that I go to have undergone a change in Management and staff. At the first BB, the clerk had never done a trade before and asked for help from another clerk. He admtted that he had never done a trade either. Somehow, they were able to get the trade to go through but they wouldn't take AitD. Will return it to GS.

I was able to pick up some games to flip to GS including 5 SoF, 4 Spyros and a MSA. I actually need these $6 TIV games just to break even since I pay tax. I will go back tomorrow since I left 2 Spyros (left $30 VC at home). Luckily, I was able to find all the games at the 5 BBs nearest to me.

Thanks cg1407. Plenty of Fear Files and Timesift in my area. :D

[quote name='mvp828']Don't due it man... It is like the ever so tempting hot teen you see who is actually 17. It looks good, but really you'll just end up living in regret. Or trading it right back in.

Also thanks dys006 for all the updates on the flipping shopping list for tomorrow.[/quote]

I'm a Battlefield fanboy, but I'm gonna have to agree with you on BC. The single player is decent but nothing fantastic and unless you have some buddies to play online with, you're gonna end up with worthless squadmates who all try to go it alone.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Um... I know I worded it a bit strange, but it doesn't make any logical sense to think that's what I meant.

Do you know if Timeshift for PS3 is dropping to 9.99 also?[/quote]

It's been my experience that PS3 titles are always more than 360. If you're lucky and they didn't pay attention (I was once) they'll change the price of the Timeshifts for PS3 as well and they'll adjust at the register.

[quote name='emg28']I tried trading in AitD:SE (Wii) at 2 BB but was denied since the game didn't scan. I asked then to type the name in but neither of the clerks would do it. Most of the BB that I go to have undergone a change in Management and staff. At the first BB, the clerk had never done a trade before and asked for help from another clerk. He admtted that he had never done a trade either. Somehow, they were able to get the trade to go through but they wouldn't take AitD. Will return it to GS.[/quote]

Same thing happened to me yesterday but this is the only BB that actually denied me the trade. Unfortunately I think I've traded a copy to all of the other Blockbusters so this one might actually go back to Gamestop.

Be careful flipping today because today is BBV price drop TIV day and you never know??? You should program BBV numbers inyour phone and call them while you are at gamestop just to confirm before you buy. That would be sad to think you are getting 30 bucks TIV and today, it dropped to $8. Be careful!

[quote name='GoVols']Be careful flipping today because today is BBV price drop TIV day and you never know??? You should program BBV numbers inyour phone and call them while you are at gamestop just to confirm before you buy. That would be sad to think you are getting 30 bucks TIV and today, it dropped to $8. Be careful![/quote]

Actually today is game price drop day. TIV drop day is Tuesday. So now and tomorrow is when helpful CAGs will post any drops they notice so the rest of us that have excess titles can dump them before we lose money.

[quote name='GoVols']Be careful flipping today because today is BBV price drop TIV day and you never know??? You should program BBV numbers inyour phone and call them while you are at gamestop just to confirm before you buy. That would be sad to think you are getting 30 bucks TIV and today, it dropped to $8. Be careful![/quote]

:roll:

Used prices drop today, TIV"s drop tomorrow.

Well, I should be back in the flipping business with a new account later today. I'm probably not going to do as much flipping, for now I just want to get rid of the 20 or so games that I have left from last week. I plan on hitting Gamestop & FYE as well, so ill probably have some updated flips for those stores.

I've got almost $600 in credit to move back to GS today and then I need to flip as much as possible, I'll check when I'm in on some various games and post it when I"m driving to the next store. I'll see if my gf will ride along today and type the TIVs as I run around

[quote name='Capa']I've got almost $600 in credit to move back to GS today and then I need to flip as much as possible, I'll check when I'm in on some various games and post it when I"m driving to the next store. I'll see if my gf will ride along today and type the TIVs as I run around[/quote]

Damn... That's a lot of credit. I only got that high once during the perfect storm right before I splurged on a Wii with all the fixins and Soul Calibur IV. I was gonna start building up credit again to get a PS3 this holiday and then a GS employee informed that they axed backwards compatibility because no one is buying PS2s anymore. So I breathed a sigh of defeat and decided my paltry $120 in credit is good enough for me. I knew the MGS4 bundle was going to be limited edition, but I thought that was going to be like Halo 3 Xbox limited edition where I could find one easily for 6 months. Had I known it would be almost impossible to find now, I would've splurged on that instead.

[quote name='captnjack']Just a warning, Victorious Boxer (Wii) shows up as an invalid UPC when scanning at BBV. If you happen to get a lazy/ignorant CSR, they won't take the trade in. I got 3 today and had to go to 5 BBVs to trade 2 of them. The last one I have will be returned or I might just keep it. I am a boxing fan and this seems like a decent game.[/quote]
Was denied Vic Boxer also. Was told disc condition but probably was same issue others are having. I'll probably return it anyway. Don't need to raise any suspicion on my wifes account.

[quote name='Nikadimas']I was gonna start building up credit again to get a PS3 this holiday and then a GS employee informed that they axed backwards compatibility because no one is buying PS2s anymore.[/quote]

Concerning the removal of PS2 BC, what I read was that too many people were taking advantage of the PS2 BC and using the PS3 for Blu-ray-thus not making much money from PS3 software sales. Since Sony takes a loss for each console sold and depends on software sales to break even/profit, that seems like a rational reason for the removal of BC from future PS3 consoles.

The 1st post doesn't show it, but I got $9 for Dark Sector (PS3) when I traded it in o Friday. This makes it a flip at a loss.

[quote name='stone1061']Was denied Vic Boxer also. Was told disc condition but probably was same issue others are having. I'll probably return it anyway. Don't need to raise any suspicion on my wifes account.[/QUOTE]

i traded one in and had no problem. it scanned fine. is there a different version/upc of it?

that list is still missing both bladestorms, they are 34.99-->35 and 36 for xbox360 and ps3

and, am I correct in assuming the offer on the website runs til midnight? If so, I can concentrate on getting credit moved back to GS today, and then shop tonight online

Dumped all my games @ BB, back up to $330 in credit, woot!.

I'm not sure if they have been mentioned, but I found a few $9.99 games that I didnt know about. Sonic The Hedgehog, Forza 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and DoA Xtreme Volleyball 2 were $9.99 each. I will have confirmation of GS TIV's later

Alrighty guys, I hate to be the noob voice but I have to ask a few questions.

How does this work? lol. I mean from what Im figuring it seems that people bought games from the b2g1f deal at Gamestop and then are selling them/trading them back to Blockbuster for credit?

So is the only thing I have to do is take my games to Blockbuster? Or is there a special membership you have to sign up for?

Seeing all the $100's of credit that some of y'all have has intrigued me. :)

we are heading out now, I'm going to a small town outside of the city to hit 2 blockbusters and 1 gamestop. I've cleaned out pretty much 20BBs in town, the last time I did this I found around 35 flips back to GS, so I'm hoping I can do that again today and get 450 or so moved back to GS in time to hit the store down there, and then 1 gs back here in town, and then I'll blow the rest online getting swaps

[quote name='beau21']Alrighty guys, I hate to be the noob voice but I have to ask a few questions.

How does this work? lol. I mean from what Im figuring it seems that people bought games from the b2g1f deal at Gamestop and then are selling them/trading them back to Blockbuster for credit?

So is the only thing I have to do is take my games to Blockbuster? Or is there a special membership you have to sign up for?

Seeing all the $100's of credit that some of y'all have has intrigued me. :)[/quote]

Read Post #1. The answers you seek are there.

Any further posts asking lazy questions like this will be deleted.

[quote name='beau21']Alrighty guys, I hate to be the noob voice but I have to ask a few questions.

Seeing all the $100's of credit that some of y'all have has intrigued me. :)[/quote]

Read the first 2 posts to see what games are good for flipping. Get the EDGE card at Gamestop. At Blockbuster, you will have to sign up for a trading account or whatever, it's free and easy. Just be careful not to raise suspicion by trading in 2 copies of the same game, etc. And don't tell them what you do, if they ask if you flip juts look at them weird.

It's very easy to get BBV (Blockbuster) credit but a lot harder to get GS credit, since GS always has some coupon floating around, + the EDGE 10% discount makes some games pretty cheap. That in combination with BBV giving better trade in values (TIV) lets you gain more credit than what you paid for at Gamestop.

The only time it's good to get GS credit is when GS has a trade in deal, which now is trade in 2 next gen games get $10 extra. But games have to be at least $1 or $2 (can't remember) base TIV. So, you go to the 2nd post in this thread, find those games, buy them at BBV, then trade in at GS. After a while of 'flipping' you don't actually spend any money out of pocket, so it's literally free money, since you are just using your credit from each store to buy games.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='Bezerker']Dumped all my games @ BB, back up to $330 in credit, woot!.

I'm not sure if they have been mentioned, but I found a few $9.99 games that I didnt know about. Sonic The Hedgehog, Forza 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and DoA Xtreme Volleyball 2 were $9.99 each. I will have confirmation of GS TIV's later[/quote]

Forza good, DOAX2 bad, Marvel i'm not sure. I've been picking up 9.99 forzas left and right.

[quote name='xfade']Forza good, DOAX2 bad, Marvel i'm not sure. I've been picking up 9.99 forzas left and right.[/quote]

Forza? $9.99->$8.30? C'mon, you can do better ;).

Sorry for the newbee post before.

To contribute a little bit though.. here are my TIV's from BB as of this morning:

Blacksite: Area 51 (360): $15
Blacksite: Area 51 (PS3): $26
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (Wii): $23
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PS3): $13
Samurai Warriors Katana (Wii): $30

[quote name='Poor2More']Confirmed at BBV

Fear Files $9.99
TimeShift $9.99[/quote]

Thanks for the confirmation, time to ping pong some more credit :cool:

[quote name='autche']Concerning the removal of PS2 BC, what I read was that too many people were taking advantage of the PS2 BC and using the PS3 for Blu-ray-thus not making much money from PS3 software sales. Since Sony takes a loss for each console sold and depends on software sales to break even/profit, that seems like a rational reason for the removal of BC from future PS3 consoles.[/quote]

Man, that's even worse rationale than the not selling PS2s thing. I mean, c'mon Sony, it's new technology. I remember when my family got our first DVD player, hell, I remember our first CD player. It takes a couple years for new technology to catch on. We hopped on the DVD bandwagon about midway through the transition (there were still VHSs and DVDs were still kind of expensive) and that was still a year or two after other people I know were getting them. Oh well, my informal protest will now be to avoid the PS3 like the plague until BC comes back in some form.

[quote name='Capa']that list is still missing both bladestorms, they are 34.99-->35 and 36 for xbox360 and ps3[/quote]

Yep. Can confirm these prices from yesterday.

[quote name='Bezerker']Dumped all my games @ BB, back up to $330 in credit, woot!.

I'm not sure if they have been mentioned, but I found a few $9.99 games that I didnt know about. Sonic The Hedgehog, Forza 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and DoA Xtreme Volleyball 2 were $9.99 each. I will have confirmation of GS TIV's later[/quote]

I've seen those. Forza 2, Marvel, and DOA I think are all a loss. Sonic may break even, but I haven't picked it up to trade in months so I can't be sure.

[quote name='captnjack']Do you guys trade back to GS 2 at a time or can I bring in 4 games and get $20 extra credit?[/quote]

Multiples of 2 will get the bonus. It would take forever to trade 2 at a time. Just make sure you have an even number. If you don't, trade 3 in on their own and you'll get the "3 for $15" bonus instead, then trade the others together.

BB TIVs from 9/26

Viking X360 - $15
Viking PS3 - $20
Hail to the Chimp PS3 - $23
WSOP 2008 PS3 - $20
Bust a Move Wii - $20
Sea Monsters - $23

High School Musical Wii- $26 - Picked this up without giving much thought to the actual game because I was buying so many, and I had to match this up with 2 other $24.99 titles. Fortunately, none of the clerks ever brought it up. But I would've tried to deflect the embarrassment and said it was for a younger cousin or something if I was asked.

Victorious Boxers Wii - $30 -- I also had a difficult time getting this traded in. Two stores would not accept it because the UPC was invalid. When this happens, some BBs will just tell me the store isn't accepting them. Other BBs will follow protocol and actually look it up manually and enter it in. Luckily for me, a third one did.

Woot. Timeshift and FEAR files for $9.99 each. What a great way to transfer credit. The only problem is going back to the BBV I was just at and buying more copies of this game. It's going to be hard to clear out all 8 copies of each game they have ;).

[quote name='Poor2More']Confirmed at BBV

Fear Files $9.99
TimeShift $9.99[/quote]

Fear Files gets 7.00 at gs before any promotion/edge
TimeShift gets 6.00 at gs before any promotion/edge

so i think Fear Files was quoted at 8 so it dropped 1 dollar

[quote name='Bezerker']
I'm not sure if they have been mentioned, but I found a few $9.99 games that I didnt know about. Sonic The Hedgehog, Forza 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and DoA Xtreme Volleyball 2 were $9.99 each. I will have confirmation of GS TIV's later[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I've seen those at those prices for a while now - I'm guessing they aren't very good. Or I (and this applies to any of you as well ;)) could just not guess and instead look at the GS trade-in thread. Note that some of these might be a bit out of date but chances are the values are certainly no more than this now:

DoA Xtreme 2 - $2.50
Forza 2 - $3
MUA - $2
Sonic - $5 (undoubtedly lower now though)

So, yeah, not too good...

[quote name='DaDeuce']The 1st post doesn't show it, but I got $9 for Dark Sector (PS3) when I traded it in o Friday. This makes it a flip at a loss.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I updated that one to be good through today because someone else reported $16 in the last few days. I'll change it again, but you peoples need to be more careful - especially with being accurate about the date something was traded. For example, trading today, but reporting it Tuesday, can lead to confusion as it may have dropped in between that time.

Anyway, I'm finally home and looking forward to tax-free purchases of Timeshift and FEAR Files, though I probably won't be able to do get to a GS for a few days. Since I'm not going to trade anything to BB I'm actually hesitant to transfer more credit from BB -> GS. I'm down to a mere $600 or so at Blockbuster. It feels like I'm going broke ;). And I still have GHWT bundle to pick up (only put $25 on it so far) soon. And I had hoped to get a PS3 there soon. But that $9.99 -> $13.80$12.70 flip is certainly tempting considering I did many $10.80 -> $11.60 ones last week while in Arizona (with outrageous 8% sales tax).

bread's done
Back