The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Have you opened it? Check the system itself. It would be surprising for them to be selling a second gen system, but the label thing makes it at least somewhat possible I guess.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Have you opened it? Check the system itself. It would be surprising for them to be selling a second gen system, but the label thing makes it at least somewhat possible I guess.[/quote]
Why would it be surprising? The label was sorta peeled so I checked it out and the PSU says 175watt. Is that guaranteed a Falcon even from team TMEM? Also no lot number was on my box.

Well, it would be surprising because Microsoft switched production to Falcon/3rd gen in the middle third of last year. You'd think any store that sells a lot of units-Amazon in particular-would have long since burned through their old inventory.

If it does come with a 175 watt power supply, then it has to be either 3rd or 4th gen, as the first two generations won't work with the 175 watt model. (It could still be third gen though even if it shipped with a 203 watt power supply.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well, it would be surprising because Microsoft switched production to Falcon/3rd gen in the middle third of last year. You'd think any store that sells a lot of units-Amazon in particular-would have long since burned through their old inventory.

If it does come with a 175 watt power supply, then it has to be either 3rd or 4th gen, as the first two generations won't work with the 175 watt model. (It could still be third gen though even if it shipped with a 203 watt power supply.)[/quote]

Are there some Falcons better than others? Also is the sticker being relabeled and the fact its the holiday bundle that was announced a month ago yet has a system from 2008-07-28 a cause for concern?

[quote name='cheaphuck']Are there some Falcons better than others?[/quote]

Nope, as far as I know they're all the same. With the first and second generation systems there were more minor updates to them though.

Also is the sticker being relabeled and the fact its the holiday bundle that was announced a month ago yet has a system from 2008-07-28 a cause for concern?

Nope, not a problem at all. In fact I had forgotten about that-that explains why there's a new label on it. The box got 'converted' into a holiday bundle. It's nothing to worry about. My Falcon I bought last year was the same way.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/01/finding-jasper-shot-of-xbox-360s-256mb-internal-storage/
internal-proof-lg-490.jpg

Looks like the easiest way to find out if you have Jasper but of course you need to hook it up.

Oh neat! Thanks for showing that.

I personally would NOT use that internal storage though-wouldn't want to wear it out.

Whats the Best Wireless ROuter on the market , im planning to get another 360 and there will be 2 360s in the house and 2 pcs. whats the best router out there?

[quote name='Malcolm3000g']Whats the Best Wireless ROuter on the market , im planning to get another 360 and there will be 2 360s in the house and 2 pcs. whats the best router out there?[/QUOTE]

I'd go with Linksys (Cisco's consumer brand). Just seems like they always have the fewest problems/weird compatibility issues.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Received my Elite from the Amazon BF sale. It has a 175W power supply. I'll check when I get home and see if I can find out for sure.[/quote]

Shouldn't be a Jasper, then. [quote name='pete5883']You can get a 175W power block with a Jasper, though. The best way is checking the port on the xbox where you connect the power.[/quote]

!! But in that case?? I know they're only supposed to run on, what 125w? 150w? So including a 175w brick seems wasteful and unsafe. I'm surprised to hear it's happening.

I can't remember if I've seen any actual instances, but plenty of 175W Falcons came with 203W power bricks. I don't see why it wouldn't happen again w/ Jasper.

I posted this in the RROD thread, but figured I might get better help in this one instead:

Alright. So after I got my girlfriend's xbox back in the mail today and cleaned the gunk off of it (seriously Microsoft?), I plugged it in, downloaded the update and the like, made her an avatar, etc.

So, I followed the instructions about license transfer for the only arcade game she owns and has on the HD, Hexic HD. To make sure she'll be able to play it at home, I log out of Live, unplug my ethernet cable, and try to play it offline. It instantly disappears from the games list right when I open it.

Now, I've tried just downloading again with it already on the hard drive, I've tried deleting it and re-downloading the whole thing, and none of it has worked. She doesn't have a wireless router or a computer close by at home, so I need to get this to work offline for her. Anyone have any ideas? It says I don't have to do the license transfer on the site because for refurbs it's already been done, but do you think the person at the repair center f'ed up and didn't transfer it? I didn't send it with the hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

so i turn on my new elite and i hear a grinding noise. super awesome, i downloaded the licenses last week.
turns out its coming from the power brick. swapped it out at best buy and all seems well now.
this is my 6th 360, first tiem ive had an issue with the power supply. nice that it decided to change things up, keep me on my toes.

[quote name='paz9x']so i turn on my new elite and i hear a grinding noise. super awesome, i downloaded the licenses last week.
turns out its coming from the power brick. swapped it out at best buy and all seems well now.
this is my 6th 360, first tiem ive had an issue with the power supply. nice that it decided to change things up, keep me on my toes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I like how you can tie your xbox to your live account info once a year. Especially since the dang thing has a life expectancy of 3 months.
Right after I re-licensed my account my xbox went kaput. Now I have to wait another year to be able to play Double Dragon.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']

!! But in that case?? I know they're only supposed to run on, what 125w? 150w? So including a 175w brick seems wasteful and unsafe. I'm surprised to hear it's happening.[/QUOTE]

The console only draws whatever power it needs and no more, so a 175w power supply will output less than that if used with a Jasper. That's why you can use a Falcon supply with a Jasper but not vice-versa, and why they're keyed differently.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Yeah, I like how you can tie your xbox to your live account info once a year. Especially since the dang thing has a life expectancy of 3 months.
Right after I re-licensed my account my xbox went kaput. Now I have to wait another year to be able to play Double Dragon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm ticked they only let you do it once a year...though at least they now let you do it. Nintendo doesn't let you do it at ALL (I lost over $100 of games...last time I ever "buy" anything from that store). I guess Sony lets you do it an unlimited number of times (if I'm understanding things), as long as the system is working well enough to be deactivated (so iTunes like).

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Yeah, I like how you can tie your xbox to your live account info once a year. Especially since the dang thing has a life expectancy of 3 months.
Right after I re-licensed my account my xbox went kaput. Now I have to wait another year to be able to play Double Dragon.[/quote]

So if I use a transfer cable and transfer then go through the process of getting my xbla games (licenses) onto my new elite.... and then it craps out, I am s.o.l. for a year?

Today while turning on my 360 I heard a strange audio sound which is high pitched, while playing a game I am still able to hear the game sounds but they are all high pitched? I have my 360 hooked up with HDMI. I dont know whats the problem?

I'd try hooking it up through component to see if it's there through that connection too. Also try it with a different TV or monitor in a different location.

quick ?, do the controllers need to be in direct site of the console? could the console be placed in another room and have everything work ok

Thanks

The controllers use RF, not IR, so they do NOT need to be direct line of site. They don't use Blue Tooth, but they're on the same frequency-I assume they're something similar.

They'll probably work fine from another room, although the radio transmitters may have to work harder to do that.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Shouldn't be a Jasper, then.

!! But in that case?? I know they're only supposed to run on, what 125w? 150w? So including a 175w brick seems wasteful and unsafe. I'm surprised to hear it's happening.[/QUOTE]

It is okay to use a higher wattage powerbrick, just not the other way around. It is actually not wasteful as they are trying to use leftover stock

[quote name='pitfallharry219']If you send it in to MS to get repaired, they transfer the licenses for you.[/QUOTE]

Mine comes with a letter telling me how to do the license transfer. I have to do it myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. A system is only going to use whatever power it needs. For instance, I can put a 500W PSU into a system that only draws 250W. It will only draw the 250W it needs. It is neither unsafe or wasteful.

Okay I got a question. I am thinking of selling my xbox 360 and want to know how to unregistered the system and if the new buyer can get the left over warranty.

another method to determine if you have a jasper is to look at the power rating - a jasper will be 12.1 A while a falcon should be 14.2 A.

[quote name='62t']Okay I got a question. I am thinking of selling my xbox 360 and want to know how to unregistered the system and if the new buyer can get the left over warranty.[/quote]

I don't believe that there's an option to unregister it. Check xbox.com to to my xbox and check the link for registration to see what kind of options it gives you.

[quote name='lolwut?']I posted this in the RROD thread, but figured I might get better help in this one instead:

Alright. So after I got my girlfriend's xbox back in the mail today and cleaned the gunk off of it (seriously Microsoft?), I plugged it in, downloaded the update and the like, made her an avatar, etc.

So, I followed the instructions about license transfer for the only arcade game she owns and has on the HD, Hexic HD. To make sure she'll be able to play it at home, I log out of Live, unplug my ethernet cable, and try to play it offline. It instantly disappears from the games list right when I open it.

Now, I've tried just downloading again with it already on the hard drive, I've tried deleting it and re-downloading the whole thing, and none of it has worked. She doesn't have a wireless router or a computer close by at home, so I need to get this to work offline for her. Anyone have any ideas? It says I don't have to do the license transfer on the site because for refurbs it's already been done, but do you think the person at the repair center f'ed up and didn't transfer it? I didn't send it with the hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated[/quote]

Nobody?

Alright tomorrow I am going to transfer the stuff from my old harddrive to new elite. Would I be able to play Hexic offline after the transferring?

[quote name='lolwut?']I posted this in the RROD thread, but figured I might get better help in this one instead:

Any help would be greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same issue-- I returned my 360 due to issues with the drive thinking it was supposed to be ejecting discs when it wasn't-- they shipped me back the same Xbox (Same serial number, they must've just replaced the drive and mobo).. I assume I got a new mobo because I had to go through initial setup again (language, country, etc choices), but had my Live account on a memory card and the same HD... but it won't let me play any games offline. (stuff works fine signed into XBox Live)

I've tried deleting them and redownloading, and just redownloading to get the new license key, and no go...

We must have gotten the same person repairing our units and forgetting to do the license swap or something. I have it on a wireless network but the router is in a different room and if I forget to turn on the wireless (I only leave it on when I need it) I'd like to at least be able to play the XBLA games.

I don't want to use the transfer tool, and I'm not even sure I could, since I got back the same unit!! (Which is even more puzzling why this is happening although I bet the new motherboard is throwing things off)

I guess I get to call support in the morning.. :( I was afraid this would happen...

Is Netflix streaming working for anyone tonight? Not me. I reset my router and everything. Can connect to the net fine. Xbox Live doesn't work perfectly, but it never does ("Cannot load information from Xbox live, try again later" etc BS when I'm trying to look at "new releases" and whatnot), and I yelled at the wall for a while. Go figure, yelling at the wall didn't work.

Maybe the Netflix server is just getting hammered right now. If that's the case, they need to upgrade their server.

Or maybe it's Live's problem. I dunno. I'm annoyed. It's Shaq Fuing Friday night and I want to watch a damn movie while I eat my burrito.

Edit: Streams fine from netflix.com, so I guess it's Live's problem, not my connection, not Netflix. Come on, Live. Get it together.

does the dvd drive seems to rattle for a few seconds after closing the disc drive? This happen to my new elite. Everything seems to be fine for my new elite aside from that. This does not happen with my old system

[quote name='62t']does the dvd drive seems to rattle for a few seconds after closing the disc drive? This happen to my new elite. Everything seems to be fine for my new elite aside from that. This does not happen with my old system[/quote]

Put it the other way; most likely its horizontal.

[quote name='Justin42']I'm having the same issue-- I returned my 360 due to issues with the drive thinking it was supposed to be ejecting discs when it wasn't-- they shipped me back the same Xbox (Same serial number, they must've just replaced the drive and mobo).. I assume I got a new mobo because I had to go through initial setup again (language, country, etc choices), but had my Live account on a memory card and the same HD... but it won't let me play any games offline. (stuff works fine signed into XBox Live)

I've tried deleting them and redownloading, and just redownloading to get the new license key, and no go...

We must have gotten the same person repairing our units and forgetting to do the license swap or something. I have it on a wireless network but the router is in a different room and if I forget to turn on the wireless (I only leave it on when I need it) I'd like to at least be able to play the XBLA games.

I don't want to use the transfer tool, and I'm not even sure I could, since I got back the same unit!! (Which is even more puzzling why this is happening although I bet the new motherboard is throwing things off)

I guess I get to call support in the morning.. :( I was afraid this would happen...[/QUOTE]

If they did replace the motherboard, I'd guess it counts as a whole new system, so doing the license trasfer thing should work.

It might also be that they use the serial number off the optical drive as part of what ties the games to the system, so that's why it's seeing it as new hardware.

Question:

I just transfered all my stuff from a 20gb to a 120gb using the transfer cable. I'm using the new HDD on the same system as the old HDD... will I still be able to play everything offline right now, or do I have to do the licence transfer thing, too?

Only asking because I wasn't sure if the transfer cable process fixed that or not.

Thanks.

[quote name='007']Question:

I just transfered all my stuff from a 20gb to a 120gb using the transfer cable. I'm using the new HDD on the same system as the old HDD... will I still be able to play everything offline right now, or do I have to do the licence transfer thing, too?

Only asking because I wasn't sure if the transfer cable process fixed that or not.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
you need to transfer the license if you want to play offline

[quote name='Wolfpup']If they did replace the motherboard, I'd guess it counts as a whole new system, so doing the license trasfer thing should work.

It might also be that they use the serial number off the optical drive as part of what ties the games to the system, so that's why it's seeing it as new hardware.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the console ID is different than before the repair when I check, but it seems like they should've transferred that on their end. I haven't gotten around to calling, I guess I am so prepared to be sent around in circles I'm dreading it, although that's bad because it's not right they didn't do what they SHOULD have done in repairing it.

Not sure if I want to burn my once-every-12-months license transfer on this (if I even can, since the serial #s are the same).

The good news is the drive doesn't seem to phantom eject anymore. ;)

So I just opened my 360 Arcade and have an HDMI cable that I use with my PS3 that I figured would work. I connected initially with the HDMI and things were fine, and then it asked me to update. It restarted and my TV said it was an "unreadable connection" or something of the sort.

For now I have the A/V cables plugged in and I can't figure out why the HDMI cable won't work. Can anyone help me out? I tried reading the xbox.com links, but they keep saying Xbox 360 HD AV cables. Do I need to buy a special cable?

I just tested with my roommates HDTV and it worked. I have an Element TV, I don't know the exact information on it, but how is it possible that it worked before the update on my TV, and now it says "unsupported mode" on my TV?

[quote name='007']Question:

Thanks.[/quote]

No, you shouldn't have to. I didn't have to, and that's exactly the same process I used. It's just the HDD you're switching, not the console, so I don't see why you'd need a license transfer.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']No, you shouldn't have to. I didn't have to, and that's exactly the same process I used. It's just the HDD you're switching, not the console, so I don't see why you'd need a license transfer.[/quote]

Ah... quite, quite. I was away when I posted that, so I didn't have the ability to test it until a few minutes ago. Does seem to be working offline, yes.

So the license resides with the console itself, not the HDD. Good to know.

Thanks, guys! :D

[quote name='007']Ah... quite, quite. I was away when I posted that, so I didn't have the ability to test it until a few minutes ago. Does seem to be working offline, yes.

So the license resides with the console itself, not the HDD. Good to know.

Thanks, guys! :D[/quote]

Glad it's working!

Yeah, since some of the consoles don't have HDDs, it has to be something in the flash memory having to do with the particular console ID and Live account. So if you sign in from another console, or switch consoles, that's where the troubles begin.

My week old Xbox got the RROD yesterday. I have two options to go from here.. What do you guys think?

A. Take it back to Target when I get home from college (won't be for like two weeks
icon_sad.gif
). The main problem with this is that I could get another defective Xbox. Would Target have the Jasper systems in by the 20th?

B. Send it in to Microsoft to get it repaired. This way would probably take longer but I am guaranteed a working XBox, albeit not necessarily a new one.

[quote name='coma8']My week old Xbox got the RROD yesterday. I have two options to go from here.. What do you guys think?

A. Take it back to Target when I get home from college (won't be for like two weeks
icon_sad.gif
). The main problem with this is that I could get another defective Xbox. Would Target have the Jasper systems in by the 20th?

B. Send it in to Microsoft to get it repaired. This way would probably take longer but I am guaranteed a working XBox, albeit not necessarily a new one.[/quote]

Definitely take it back to Target. The chances of getting another shit 360 right off the bat are slim to none. If you send it to MS they'll just send you back a refurb.

Okay, I think I'll cancel my repair order.
The thing is, I registered my Xbox right before it went out on me. Is this going to be any problem when I return it? Is there a way to unregister it?
What's the easiest way to transfer my HD saves from the old xbox to the new one?

bread's done
Back