The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Astroman']Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've been playing Bioshock as my first next-gen experience, and all I can say is WOW. F*&%ing amazing stuff.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Glad you like it. Geez, there is SO much great stuff out there it's hard to even know where to begin, but that's a great spot! I'm a huge fan of Mass Effect.

[quote name='naiku']geometry war 2 is one of the best XBLA titles for the retro gamer imo.[/QUOTE]

I COMPLETELY disagree. That would turn me off of gaming instantly. If you loved early 80's arcade games that might be a good spot, but coming from the Genesis/SNES you'd already be playing games hundreds of times more sophisticated.

[quote name='Malik112099']If you haven't gamed in a while, don't play Dead Rising. The horrible save system will turn you off to gaming again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just started and I guess have given up on it. There's a lot of really innovative, fun ideas to it, but ultimately it's just kind of frustrating. I guess you're supposed to just keep replaying it again and again until you're finally powerful enough to proceed forward, but that gets old after you've done it a few times. Wish they'd take that basic game-same art, same areas etc., but just redo it so it's less frustrating. (A friend wants them to get rid of some of the arbitrary boss type battles too.)

[quote name='Astroman']Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've been playing Bioshock as my first next-gen experience, and all I can say is WOW. F*&%ing amazing stuff.[/quote]

Great choice. I'd suggest Dead Space or Fallout 3 next. Dead Space sort of puts you in a high-tech version of a Big Daddy suit and has you lumbering around stomping on aliens. Fallout 3 has a similar look and feel of Bioshock but sets you in a futuristic 1930's post apocalyptic Washington DC.

[quote name='Justden']Great choice. I'd suggest Dead Space or Fallout 3 next. Dead Space sort of puts you in a high-tech version of a Big Daddy suit and has you lumbering around stomping on aliens. Fallout 3 has a similar look and feel of Bioshock but sets you in a futuristic 1930's post apocalyptic Washington DC.[/QUOTE]

If by 1930's you mean 1950's, then yeah! :D

My son recently got a new Samsung Model: LN32A330, although he has issues with Gears of War 2. There are spotting issues when he's playing. Black spots/frames are always popping up throughout gameplay, no matter what stage. Originally we setup the system with the component cables that came with the system. Then I tried to use the HDMI cable I use for the living room TV but still the same problem. We tried a different copy of GoW 2 but still the same problem. We also tried the new Call of Duty: World at War and there were no spotting issues. Does anyone know what the issue is with GoW 2? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW,
A little off topic but if anyone knows the answer to why we can't start new threads about 360 issues or news instead of writing them in here, I would like to know. Because this is probably the 3rd thread that got redirected here and I'm not sure why; since once I get the answer I would then ask a mod to close it. So far when I post in the general 360 thread I never get a response because I'm assuming this thread is so freakin' huge and all of the 360 questions/comments get redirected over here that it just gets overlooked unless it's a big topic that everyone probably already knows something about.

Alright, lately, my xbox keeps disconnecting from live.

This happenning to anyone else? It stays connected for about 10 minutes and then just disconnects, every single time I turn it on this happens. I am unable to sign back on after it signs me off.

Whats wrong? I am connected through a cable to my router...

[quote name='dman1869']My son recently got a new Samsung Model: LN32A330, although he has issues with Gears of War 2. There are spotting issues when he's playing. Black spots/frames are always popping up throughout gameplay, no matter what stage. Originally we setup the system with the component cables that came with the system. Then I tried to use the HDMI cable I use for the living room TV but still the same problem. We tried a different copy of GoW 2 but still the same problem. We also tried the new Call of Duty: World at War and there were no spotting issues. Does anyone know what the issue is with GoW 2? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
[/QUOTE]

As far as I know that shouldn't be happening-I mean I can't quite picture what you mean, but I'd try it on a different TV if you can, to figure out if it's the TV or the system that's at fault.

EDIT: Yeah, that sounds kind of suspicious to me, like it could be a GPU defect or something, if it's not the TV.

[quote name='dman1869']
BTW,
A little off topic but if anyone knows the answer to why we can't start new threads about 360 issues or news instead of writing them in here, I would like to know. Because this is probably the 3rd thread that got redirected here and I'm not sure why; since once I get the answer I would then ask a mod to close it. So far when I post in the general 360 thread I never get a response because I'm assuming this thread is so freakin' huge and all of the 360 questions/comments get redirected over here that it just gets overlooked unless it's a big topic that everyone probably already knows something about.[/quote]

Plus, then if other folks have the same problem, it's a little harder to locate it in a huge thread.

Good luck with the problem. I have no input. It sounds super frustrating, though.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Alright, lately, my xbox keeps disconnecting from live.

This happenning to anyone else? It stays connected for about 10 minutes and then just disconnects, every single time I turn it on this happens. I am unable to sign back on after it signs me off.

Whats wrong? I am connected through a cable to my router...[/quote]

Same here, except I'm using my laptop's wireless connection instead of it being directly wired.

[quote name='D3FAULT']Same here, except I'm using my laptop's wireless connection instead of it being directly wired.[/quote]
Hmmm...I've been playing offline and it seems to have stopped. Might've been something wrong with my internet provider, despite the fact my internet was fine.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Hmmm...I've been playing offline and it seems to have stopped. Might've been something wrong with my internet provider, despite the fact my internet was fine.[/quote]

Mine has been doing it for months.. ever since I've had it.

I'm getting really, really frustrated with this.

I started a Netflix trial because I wanted to see how the Instant Watch stuff was on the 360... then I found out I needed Gold to do it. So I decided instead of wasting the trial I'd drop $8 on a month of gold. Well, NetFlix's selection sucks so I'm canceling, easy to do with Netflix but not so easy with LIVE. I've fumbled around their poorly designed site long enough. How do I cancel?

As long as you didn't put your CC or Debit Card info anywhere on your XBOX, you don't need to cancel. Enjoy your month of Live. Or don't enjoy it, whatever.

I'm not sure if it's my Internet connection, the router or my wireless adapter, but while in the dashboard my connection periodically drops out. Is anyone else having this problem? My router firmware is updated. Is it a Microsoft thing? I haven't used the NXE with just an ethernet cable, so I don't know if that would fix things, but would also defeat the purpose of the wireless adapter. Suggestions? Comments? Bananas?

If you ever do decide to go back on Gold in the future.... never ever input any CC into the xbox.
Buy all prepaids, that goes for Gold Live and Points. Not only are they cheaper but you will avoid problems such as this.

About 5 days ago, Live started giving me an error whenever I try to download movie trailers. It's some BS about being "unable to download media usage rights". I've checked and googled everything I can think of. I don't have a children's account. There are no download restrictions. I've cleared the cache. I transferred my XBL licenses (bought a new system a few months ago..but didn't experience any problems till now). I can download stuff like demos and themes fine, but video clips seem to be the issue.

I'm also a little freaked out that this same problem seemingly exists across MS platforms (Vista has the error, MSN Messenger has the error, etc.) Does anybody have any idea what this is? It's the most vague error message I've ever seen, with no real explanation, and only offering the advice "try again later". When I search for "status code 80070005" on Xbox.com, it yields no results. I figured I'd ask here before breaking down and trying to explain all this to some confused outsourced employee halfway around the world. Anybody got any ideas?

The selection was a lot better but many of the titles have been taken off since the contract ended on January 1st for them. I'm pretty sure Warner Bros. and Sony are a couple of the studios that no longer have their movies on instant watch. My first month of Netflix ends on Jan 8, and I might cancel after losing so many movies on my instant watch list. It's a great feature that everyone at my house is loving, though.

[quote name='dman1869']My son recently got a new Samsung Model: LN32A330, although he has issues with Gears of War 2. There are spotting issues when he's playing. Black spots/frames are always popping up throughout gameplay, no matter what stage. Originally we setup the system with the component cables that came with the system. Then I tried to use the HDMI cable I use for the living room TV but still the same problem. We tried a different copy of GoW 2 but still the same problem. We also tried the new Call of Duty: World at War and there were no spotting issues. Does anyone know what the issue is with GoW 2? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Ok, so here's what I discovered. It's not the TV or disc. It's the actual Xbox itself. I tried a bunch of different combinations with different TVs, different discs, different games, but some reason, my son's Xbox when it plays Gears of War 2 only, has the spotting problem. I called Microsoft and they ran me through some diagnostic stuff and we eliminated the harddrive from being the issue but nothing we did fixed the problem. So they let me know since the system is out of warranty (by 2 months) that I can send it in for $99. After having 4 broken Xboxes I'm not too happy about spending another $99 for them to fix a 5th. We'll just be dealing with the issue for now.

[quote name='dman1869']Ok, so here's what I discovered. It's not the TV or disc. It's the actual Xbox itself. I tried a bunch of different combinations with different TVs, different discs, different games, but some reason, my son's Xbox when it plays Gears of War 2 only, has the spotting problem. I called Microsoft and they ran me through some diagnostic stuff and we eliminated the harddrive from being the issue but nothing we did fixed the problem. So they let me know since the system is out of warranty (by 2 months) that I can send it in for $99. After having 4 broken Xboxes I'm not too happy about spending another $99 for them to fix a 5th. We'll just be dealing with the issue for now.[/quote]

Wait a week and then call back and tell them you have RRoD.

Selection is still damn good IMO, I only lost a couple and still have 40 some on there and I haven't dug around to find stuff to add since November. But you have to be interested in older movies, TV shows, independent/foreign films etc.

It will never be good for recent blockbusters etc. so if that's you're main interest then the feature won't impress. I could care less as I get all that stuff on Blu Ray and DVD from Netlfix and just use the instant watch for older stuff and films I don't care about watching in HD on Blu Ray etc.

I'd probably agree Netflix and Gold aren't worth it just for the streaming, but it's an awesome bonus for those of us who already had both services for the regular features (mail rentals and online gaming).

I actually understand why you'd want to cancel Gold now. I didn't know why you'd want to, but I finally reread the op for the 10th time and actually understand now.

I think you should keep gold, unless you don't game on the 360, or have any live games. If you don't like to play with others online, then I wouldn't keep gold, but I still say you should give Gold a try, that is... if you have any Xbox Live compatible games.

Not really surprised that nobody here had an answer. I just got off the phone with MS support, and they don't even know what it is. Every setting she had me check is exactly as it should be. She even made me delete and recover my gamertag which did nothing. The hour long conversation basically ended with "Wow...I hope it starts working for you." Great, one more reason to hate Microsoft...

It's nothing wrong with you or system. It's a problem with the marketplace. It happens from time to time with various things. Like last year, it was the Dead Rising demo.

Is it even possible to get your money back after paying for Gold? I don't really think it is, but it might be. Or is it not about that? I really don't know to tell you the truth.

I wish you luck anyway trying to cancel your gold account.

People bashing Netflix for their online options of movies to view still baffles me...

THAT'S NOT WHAT THE COMPANY IS SET UP FOR...

It's a BONUS feature... it's so mind-boggling when I hear people say Netflix "has nothing"... it has everything. You just can't watch everything instantly, they never claim to say you can.

If you want to watch movies that just came out either buy them, use Netflix, use something else that's like Netflix, or be cheap and watch them online.

I can't really say much else about that, and hey be glad Netflix allows you to do that.

Exactly. It's a nice free bonus feature on top of their mail service which is what you're paying for. You're not paying for instant watch, you're paying to rent Blu Rays/DVDs and paying for Gold for online gaming.

And the selection is pretty good if you like more than recent American blockbusters.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's nothing wrong with you or system. It's a problem with the marketplace. It happens from time to time with various things. Like last year, it was the Dead Rising demo.[/quote]

That's what I hoped, but it does it with EVERY piece of content in the Video Marketplace. Even stuff I have downloaded before. Game videos from the Game Marketplace download fine, but anything in the freakin Video Marketplace gives me that error. I tried disconnecting my hard drive and just running off my 256mb memory card, and it downloaded no problem. Plugged my HD back in, and got the error again. I've got a feeling I'm going to have to reformat. I'm currently using Xport to transfer all my content to my PC, so I can try reformatting.

All this shouldn't even be neccessary, but God forbid if M$ knew anything about their own product. The CSR put me on hold at least 10 times while she "went to check". If they have to do that, I wish they'd just transfer me to a supervisor. The best she could offer me was "I'm sorry. This is a very rare error, so we don't really know what causes it." Anyway, hopefully my troubleshooting works better than hers.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
And the selection is pretty good if you like more than recent American blockbusters.[/QUOTE]

This is true.

Expand your horizons beyond mass-marketed American movies and there are quite a few gems on the instant watch service.

[quote name='neverletthem']I think that code MIGHT mean you are out of space on the Hard Drive, but I'm not sure. Try deleting some things, then try again.[/quote]

89.3GB free...haha. I appreciate the effort, but yeah, that's not it. :) I downloaded an 800mb game demo earlier today without a hitch. The message it gives is something to this effect: "Unable to download media usage rights at this time. Please try again later. Any points deducted from your account from this purchase will not be deducted again. Status Code 80070005."

It just baffles me that Microsoft couldn't figure it out. Isn't the point of giving these things specific "status codes" to make it easier to look them up and categorize them? Shouldn't they have a database that says what this error is, what causes it, and how to fix it? I mean, I might be really reaching here, but to me that would just make sense.

Microsoft are some real c*cksuckers when it comes to credit card info. Anyone who has used multiple credit cards ever get them to remove one?

I told them I had an old card that was my mom's from ages ago that I want taken off since I got my own credit card now and they claim they couldn't. Like it was some sort of impossible act, prohibitted by Zeus under penalty of death by volcano. Total bullshit, it's gotta be easy as hell to just delete the fucking card number from my profile. I'm tired of having to catch myself before accidentally buying MS points on somebody else's credit card because their shitty setup has that old one active by default.

I'd be careful of using Credit Cards anywhere. If you have to use a card, go and buy one of those Visa Prepaid Cards, if you can't get a Debit Card, or even go out and buy a Live Card.

Microsoft is cheap anyway, but probably all of you know that.

I think you will just have to call until you get the answer you want.

[quote name='thrustbucket']This is true.

Expand your horizons beyond mass-marketed American movies and there are quite a few gems on the instant watch service.[/QUOTE]

That seems a bit pretentious, don't you think?

Well, for connections in general mine's been fine. I use wireless to connect, but it's through a Linksys WRT54G2 with DD-WRT installed to form a bridge. However, I've had no troubles through that or through direct ethernet connection.

Not really, it's just a fact that if you just want to watch recent American blockbusters, then you'll get bored with the Instant Watch feature pretty quickly as licensing deals keep them off there.

I don't care if people don't watch anything about that, but don't state like a fact that the Netflix selection sucks--when the fact is that it doesn't fit your limited interests.

I love good, american blockbusters, but I also watch documentaries, classics, indy films and foreign films so I've found a lot to watch. And again it's free for me since I had live and Netflix anyway, so I couldn't be happier with the service.

It's not for everyone, but no one should be signing up for Gold or Netflix for the instant watch as it's just a bonus. You pay for online gaming an mail rentals.

[quote name='gamingninja']if someone in your house is using a 2.4 Ghz phone it will knock you off live. other than that don't know.[/QUOTE]

my printer also interferes w/ my wireless connection. i do have an old as dirt router but just something else to watch out for.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I'm just wondering, to start the free trial do you need a Credit Card, Debit Card, or whatever to activate it?[/QUOTE]

Of netflix? Yes.

But they are good about not charging if you cancel before your trial ends.

Okay so I got this new error this morning, but it seems like everything is fine, the Xbox turns on the wireless controller connects, but the TV doesn't register there is anything connected. It just shows these white fuzzy dots for about 15 seconds then nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks

As to that internet problem a lot of people are having I too have been having that and I have just stopped playing online.

[quote name='gage006']I was having issues with my wireless until I set my xbox on the DMZ. Works perfect now.[/QUOTE]

You have a DeMilitarized(sp) Zone in your home. That's crazy.

bread's done
Back