The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='nintendokid']If I buy a PC monitor with HDMI input (and speakers, of course), am I ready to go right out of the box with my HDMI cable? Will there be audio just like TV? Will it display 16x9 properly? How is quality vs VGA? Or is it better to go altogether with a PC monitor with RCA audio inputs and just buy the official 360 VGA adapter?

This is a general display question I'm confused about: what is the difference between 16x9 HDTV resolution and PC monitor 1680x1050?[/quote]

1920x1080 = 16x9
1680x1050 = 16x10

A couple weeks back, I got some video corruption while playing Rockband 2. The screen got fuzzy and sound got screwy. My 360 is hooked up via HDMI. Turning it off and then turning it back on fixed the problem and I haven't had the issue since then. I got the 360 from Target after Thanksgiving, so I'm still in my return window. Should I exchange it?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Lots of stuff you got to factor in....currently no deals (I believe) as of right now.

Amazon:
Pros: -Won't have to pay tax

Cons: -Have to wait for it to arrive
-If you want a jasper, no way to tell if you are getting one.

B&M:
Pros: -You are able to pick out which box you want (if you want a jasper or want one with the latest manufacture date).
-Can play it ASAP once you get home.

Cons: -Tax

I believe that is about it.[/quote]
i heard you can tell if its a jasper by lookin at the amps..its should be 12.1 ampss making it more reliable

[quote name='torifile']A couple weeks back, I got some video corruption while playing Rockband 2. The screen got fuzzy and sound got screwy. My 360 is hooked up via HDMI. Turning it off and then turning it back on fixed the problem and I haven't had the issue since then. I got the 360 from Target after Thanksgiving, so I'm still in my return window. Should I exchange it?[/quote]

I had something similar happen to me. It has something to do with piracy security(?) sink in the hdmi cable. There are issues with some TV sets and the xbox. Changing channels works for me when it happens infrequently.

Link

I'm probably one of the few gamers who hasn't jumped on to a next gen system yet. However, I have been flipping games recently to build up credit for a PS3 or 360 purchase. I have about $425 in credit right now at Gamestop. I had set my sights on a PS3, but I'm really about $125-$150 away from purchasing one (I want to have about $100 in credit left over for flipping purposes). However, if I get a 360 Pro, then I'm only about $50 away from being able to make a purchase.

Honestly, if the 360 was a reliable system, I'd purchase it without hesitation. I still have my PS2 from last generation, but I'm not particularly loyal to any one company. I learned from my Sega days. I'm not sure what the PS3's future prospects are, but I'm leaning towards getting one because it's a reliable piece of hardware. However, since the 360 is the better system in terms of sales and software support, I'm considering purchasing it instead.

At any rate, I'd like some opinions on whether it's worth it to get a 360 even with the RROD being an issue.. If I'm not mistaken, there's no 3-year warranty on new systems now, correct? Thanks for your responses.

I first used this router a couple months ago and it worked fine. Recently there was a password and a name put on my connection and that seems to have stopped me from connecting. I know the network name and password but i still can't get past the first step of realizing the connection. I tried manually setting all the fields but nothing worked. Does anybody have a solution for me? The XBOX suggested reseting my router but that didn't work. It also said that it doesn't recognize the static i.p address. Well that's all the info I have. If anybody can suggest anything that would be great!

are you using the official firmware for the router? Or a 3rd party like dd-wrt or tomato? Also, what version of the router do you have? Also, the network you're connecting to, do you know what security it's using? WEP? WPA? etc. Also (damn I keep thinking of other questions), do you know if the connection is actually a static ip address or is the static ip address being assigned by the router?

It's the official firmaware I think. Well we got it from linksys themselves when we called them. It's a wrt54g, wireless-g broadband router. And it's WEP. And about the static i.p, xbox was telling me it couldn't recognize it..honestly I'm not quite sure what a static i.p is, all I know is before the password I could automatically assign the i.p and all that jazz.

Did you set up a static address? I think once you reset the router that would have went away, try setting up using standard setting on the xbox and see what happens.

Hey sorry for wrong posting but i was wondering what thread i could post so i could sell my original xbox wireless bridge mn 740?

I have the problem resolved as of now..but I had to remove the security of the network..apparantly when it's there I can't use live.

OP, you should do the following:

1) Put a static IP on your Xbox 360. This prevents the Xbox 360 from changing IP addresses every so often from your router. As long as you pick an IP address somewhere between 192.168.1.150 - 192.168.1.254, it won't conflict with anything else on your network.

Helpful link: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

2) Set up port forwarding to your Xbox 360. This makes sure inbound communication from Xbox Live gets to your 360 properly.

Helpful link: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/Xbox_Live_360.htm

3) Make sure everything works correctly and you're showing an Open NAT on the Xbox Live testing on your 360.

4) Once you do have an Open NAT, put the security back up on the router. It should continue to work once you've done this. There's no reason to have the security stop your Xbox Live use, though you should make sure everything works before trying to get the security to work. You may need to doublecheck the network name and WEP password before putting it back on your 360.

I know I've seen posts about this before but can't find em right now so I'll ask...anyone that's ordered a migration kit from Microsoft, how long does it usually take to get to you?

I have my new elite just sitting here in a box until I receive that and it's already been a couple of weeks so just kind of wondering how much longer I may have to wait.

[quote name='RCS0926']I'm probably one of the few gamers who hasn't jumped on to a next gen system yet. However, I have been flipping games recently to build up credit for a PS3 or 360 purchase. I have about $425 in credit right now at Gamestop. I had set my sights on a PS3, but I'm really about $125-$150 away from purchasing one (I want to have about $100 in credit left over for flipping purposes). However, if I get a 360 Pro, then I'm only about $50 away from being able to make a purchase.

Honestly, if the 360 was a reliable system, I'd purchase it without hesitation. I still have my PS2 from last generation, but I'm not particularly loyal to any one company. I learned from my Sega days. I'm not sure what the PS3's future prospects are, but I'm leaning towards getting one because it's a reliable piece of hardware. However, since the 360 is the better system in terms of sales and software support, I'm considering purchasing it instead.

At any rate, I'd like some opinions on whether it's worth it to get a 360 even with the RROD being an issue.. If I'm not mistaken, there's no 3-year warranty on new systems now, correct? Thanks for your responses.[/quote]

If the only thing keeping you away from the 360 is the RRoD then you should get one. Why would you buy a console you are less interested in due to its reliability? Shouldn't you be buying based oin gaming/controller/online preferences? You will have the 3 year warranty when you buy the 360. I have 2 360's and have sent one of them in twice. No big deal to me.

[quote name='Malik112099']If the only thing keeping you away from the 360 is the RRoD then you should get one. Why would you buy a console you are less interested in due to its reliability? Shouldn't you be buying based oin gaming/controller/online preferences? You will have the 3 year warranty when you buy the 360. I have 2 360's and have sent one of them in twice. No big deal to me.[/quote]

I actually really want a PS3, but the prospect of getting an Arcade + used 120GB HDD + used charge and play kit for about $300 ($270 if I go with a used 20GB HDD) is very enticing. I'm not concerned about the RRoD since most new Arcades are Jaspers anyway plus I'd still be getting the 3-year extended warranty. If the PS3 dropped in price by $100, then that would be my system of choice. However, that may or may not happen, and even if it does, it might be a few months. I think I'm going to wait until April to make a decision on what system I want to get...

The PS3 must drop in price by May, or Sony is committing suicide. At least, that's what all analysts say.

That being said, the console you chose should be entirely based on the exclusives on it first. And it's features second. Of course, even if I didn't play any games at all, I don't think I could live without my 360, since I use it as my media hub for my LAN every night, something the PS3 isn't as good at.

What game/s would you recommend getting for someone who

Loved :
Fallout 3
Pure

Liked:
Bioshock
Fable 2 (Is currently playing, but had some complaints about it)

Has but dosen't really play:
Halo 3
Gears 2
Mass Effect

I usually trade this persons games for them, and am happy too, and they ask me to get whatever I think they might like since they dont really have time to keep up with gaming stuff much, but Im kinda at a loss as to what to get this person next after Fable 2.

I know this person almost bought a PS3 exclusively for MGS4, so a big fan of that series too, but it needs to be a 360 game. Suggestions?

[quote name='thrustbucket']The PS3 must drop in price by May, or Sony is committing suicide. At least, that's what all analysts say.

That being said, the console you chose should be entirely based on the exclusives on it first. And it's features second. Of course, even if I didn't play any games at all, I don't think I could live without my 360, since I use it as my media hub for my LAN every night, something the PS3 isn't as good at.[/quote]

You're right about choosing a system based on its exclusives. Personally, I'm more excited about playing Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank and MGS4 than I am about playing Halo 3, Gears of War and Mass Effect. However, I think I would be satisfied with either system. Right now, it's really about being patient. I can get a 360 right now, but if I'm patient, I can get the system I really want in a few months. I think I just need to find a PS2/DS game I can immerse myself in, so I can take my mind off wanting a PS3/360.

[quote name='FluxDF']I got my kit in about 3 days after faxing the request form to them.[/quote]

Damn, that's quick, I should have faxed it.

Maybe there's just a bit of a delay now from all the post holiday requests or something. :whistle2:?

if you loved fallout 3, you'll probably love oblivion. Even though Fallout 3 was based on oblivion, it's still a very fun game. You can probably find it for under $30 too.

What did you want us to recommend you for?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I wish they would have (a) made Fable 2 more challenging and (b) made the world map feel less disjointed (as opposed to feeling completely fucking disjointed). Ah, but this is not a Fable 2 thread, so I digress.

I'd almost say hold your horses on a purchase -- there are some great games (RPG's and such) coming down the pipeline.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']What did you want us to recommend you for?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I wish they would have (a) made Fable 2 more challenging and (b) made the world map feel less disjointed (as opposed to feeling completely fucking disjointed). Ah, but this is not a Fable 2 thread, so I digress.

I'd almost say hold your horses on a purchase -- there are some great games (RPG's and such) coming down the pipeline.[/quote]

The map thing was his main complaint too. Yeah I might wait n see, sell whatever he dosent want anymore for a new release.

[quote name='Mrcapcom']Dead Space[/quote]

Forgot to mention, he already played. He did like it though, maybe loved it.

[quote name='freshzen']I think Dirt is 10x better than Pure.[/quote]

I keep hearing good things about this title, I might pick it up for myself. :D

[quote name='shlby']if you loved fallout 3, you'll probably love oblivion. Even though Fallout 3 was based on oblivion, it's still a very fun game. You can probably find it for under $30 too.[/quote]

He's seen me play oblivion on PS3 before, I don't think it did anything for him though. I think VATS was the main reason he got into fallout.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If they play a lot of on-line... Left 4 Dead is probably the best option available if he doesn't play on-line alot then stay away from that one.

If he liked Bio Shock / Fallout 3... may like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion considering it's the same company that made Fallout 3... although I didn't enjoy scrolls as much as I do Fallout 3.

How about one of the Splinter Cell games? Like Double Agent or Chaos Theory? They're no MGS, but they're entertaining enough on their own. Plus, they're dirt cheap these days.

Which should i get? the Arcade or premium? i was thinking of just gettin the arcade, since the headset and ethernet cable wont be useful to me. Since i wont be able to play online anyway since my computer insnt in my room. But alot of ppl tell me to get the premium anyway. The main reason i wanted the arcade is cause i heard it has the new Jasper chip that prevents the RROD.:bouncy:so in ur Opinion which should i get

How about some cheapy (under $20) games. Bully SE, Test Drive Unlimited, COD 2, Darkness, Crackdown, FEAR, Orange Box, Burnout Paradise, and so on. :D

You never know when you'll want to be online, even if it isn't for playing against or with others. And it's worth going online with the 360 for free game demos. And don't forget all the great XBLA games.

But most of all there's the Hard Drive. Wombat is right...you DO need it. You'll find that little memory card fills up awfully fast. You'll want one, and it's better to get it with the system than buy one overpirced later on.

Trust me. I actually thought the same way, bought the Arcade, and started to regret it rather quickly. So what I'm really saying is, don't make the same mistake I did.

I'd say Oblivion the Elder Scrolls, since you like Fallout 3 and Fable 2. Also, you should be able to pick up the GOTY version for around 25-30 bucks, and it is a great value. You should get around 70-100 hours of play out of it.

you should try getting a jasper. i've heard reports of them being in the other bundles as well, not just the arcade.. of course, you could always get the arcade + the harddrive if you can't find a jasper premium system. there's no reason not to get a jasper, if you don't you'll just be getting old tech..

bread's done
Back