The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='Richlough']I paid $30 for 13 months .[/quote]

Yea - which is the biggest pain. Cause I can't go find a deal on a 12 month card, because they need me to pay them 50 bucks first. :bomb:

Been playing my new 360 elite for a couple days, decided to do a google about the new Jasper units that have been out and I come to find out I have a falcon unit with a manufacture date of July 2008....

WTF!

Don't worry too much. Jasper just shrinks the GPU a second time. Only real difference is 65nm GPU versus 80. Falcon seems to be pretty solid, though everything earlier ain't so hot.

Where'd you get the system?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Don't worry too much. Jasper just shrinks the GPU a second time. Only real difference is 65nm GPU versus 80. Falcon seems to be pretty solid, though everything earlier ain't so hot.

Where'd you get the system?[/quote]
Bought it at GS the day they received it (I got pretty impatient at the sound of a new bundle arriving :/).

There's a couple reasons why I'm bummed out:
1. It's a new bundle with a 2nd gen 360, not a 3RD gen one.
2. I want a 360 that runs cooler.
3. It's possible this new revision could decrease the chance of RRoD. Despite the chance of this not being true, I'd still want to have that piece of mind.
4. I want less power consumption. The new Japser units only consume 100W with a 150 PSU while the older Falcon's 120W with a 175W PSU.

Anywho, I've already cracked open the game that came with the bundle and I've been playing it for a few days, so I doubt if I can even find a way to return it.

I recently (abt a month ago) update my 360 well it asked me to update since it detected an update via XBL.
Since then my console has constantly been freezing and sometimes red ringing (constant flashing of red lights). I normally turn off and turn back on my console and it works but only for abt 5mins and then it freezes again. When i signin into XBL its even worse as my wireless adapter suddenly turns red (the adapter light).

My console was working all fine and well before that update.
Anyone got ideas as to what i can do to stop this?

Ta.

Hi,
i was considering getting a 360, was thinking about the elite bundle now, but once i saw it wasn't jasper, backed off. just wanted to know does anyone know if there will be another chip coming after E3, to replace Jasper, or a price drop? i was thinking about picking up the Pro, but didn't want to get it now with E3 right around the corner, at the same time want to get my hands on it to start playing fable 2 :p

I've tried googling it but cant find a direct answer/solution. Sending it back to MSFT is just too much of a burden to me right now.
In the main time am on my Wii and PS3

Same here. I got my 360 back from and e74 error and have noticed the my 360 is freezing up on me. Also its been lagging more and more each day. I think it may be time for a PS3......

Too much of a hassle? You're on the phone for an half hour and they send you a box. Put your junk in that box and send it off. They even provide the friggin tape, man.

NXE bogged my 360 down quite heavily, but it was because I had 13GB free on my 120GB hard drive. I had 13 full games installed. Try deleting some of that, or maybe clearing your cache.

If that doesn't work, I'd send it to MS.

I'm telling you that a near full or full cache basically brings your 360 to a grinding halt. Once you clear the cache (in the most annoying way possible) the difference is quite clear.

So i just bought my 360 last Friday, got it up and running, made my account and played games all weekend.

I want to get my XBL silver on, and deduce (I'm a noob here) that i need to register online first. So i go to Xbox.com and sign in with my MS Live account and bam, i'm in. Or so i thought. I come home and say that i want to access XBL and it downloads the NXE and i make my avatar, pretty cool.

Now today, i get an XBL 13 month card and i go to apply it to my account. I think it's going to upgrade my local account that i've just created an avatar for, but it asks me to create another avatar. I say "ok" and remake my profile with the same name and everything. Now i have two profiles! Both with the same name and avatar look, the only thing is, my local profile has all my saved games and achievements. My XBL profile is sparkling clear and has....nothing. When i try to play on my new XBL account (playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance) it says i have no saved game, when i know i played the heck out of that thing and unlocked a lot of stuff.

Please tell me there's a way that i can transfer my saved games from my local profile to the new XBL profile? Please? They're even on the same memory card. I don't want to lose all the stuff i unlocked in SF4 and MUA.

I don't know of a answer off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you call Microsoft and explain the situation they might be willing to help.

Also I don't think you'll get your achievements back because long story short; after my original Xbox Live gamertag expired I bought a original Xbox. Then, about a year later I bought a 360 again and decided to make a new gamertag, however after calling Microsoft to see if they can transfer achivements they said they weren't able to. So you might be SOL on that. Sorry man.

Thanks guys. I realize now that i should have made an XBL silver account from the get go and then this never would have been an issue. Live and learn i guess.

@CBolts: I've looked over that, but i think that would require me to rename my now gold XBL account...twice. Each time costing 800points. Once to change it to something else, and once to change it back. I might just have to bite the bullet and just replay the games, which isn't too bad i guess.

@Nealocus123: I may try giving them a call to see if i can get my saves back at least. I've emailed thier support since i can't seem to find a phone number.

Does anyone know a better way to get a headset that isn't a rip off from MS. my cat's keep chewing on them, and so they keep getting destroyed. Does anyone know of any cheap third party ones that work really well?

Woohoo white people! So (like some of you may know) my account was suspended for not renewing my credit card fast enough and they demanded I pay 50+whatever months I got free or they will keep my account banned (couldnt do anything), so I called and demanded to speak with a supervisor (a white person... not a friggen Indian named Jill) and he reverted me back to silver and now I can use prepaid cards.

Woohoo!

I"m getting a HDTV this week and I'm looking for a cheaper option than the microsoft HDMI cable kit. Because my receiver won't accept HDMI, I need to connect the optical cable. Has anyone come up with a cheap alternative?

[quote name='orbit18']Does anyone know a better way to get a headset that isn't a rip off from MS. my cat's keep chewing on them, and so they keep getting destroyed. Does anyone know of any cheap third party ones that work really well?[/QUOTE]

These ones are far better than the cheap crap offered from Microsoft:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Over..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242684196&sr=1-3

They don't last forever but the last much longer than the official ones for sure. They should be even cheaper if you look a

[quote name='deszaras']I"m getting a HDTV this week and I'm looking for a cheaper option than the microsoft HDMI cable kit. Because my receiver won't accept HDMI, I need to connect the optical cable. Has anyone come up with a cheap alternative?[/QUOTE]

The regular component cable has an optical port on it

[quote name='ZerotypeX']The regular component cable has an optical port on it[/QUOTE]

I'm already using an optical cable with the component cable. I'm trying to find a cheaper way to use an hdmi cable and an optical cable instead of using the microsoft hdmi kit.

All right, got a question. I went to visit friends in Texas and was told to bring my profile with me on my 64MB card. I did so-- found out my friend was missing his 64mb unit also. Said he thought it was at the friend's house where we were gonna go and play 360 at. So I took my memory unit from my backpack a day after I arrived in Texas and stuck it in my pocket. It sat in my pocket for another day until we got to our friends house. I stuck it in and checked it, and it has my friend's profile and gamer pics on it, along with a 50 point theme. I was completely perplexed on how this happened-- I'm pretty sure it has to be my card, unless my friend swiped my card and replaced it with his in my backpack. Any speculation on what may have happened? It's such an odd mystery. My friend's evidence is that he has premimum content on the memory unit-- 50 point content, but nontheless premium. Can you transfer themes from memory card to memory card?

I'm just guessing if I take apart my 360 to blow compressed air in its innards that I'll void my warranty? I really could have a clump of pet hair/smoke in there with the crap I blow out of my pcs. It could save me from a RRoD encounter.

^ Above video, person should have had the cable clamped to work on it. 1:53 That could have gone into his hand.

Anyway... What I came here to ask is that I want a new wired headset but I don't want a Microsoft one or a third party one designed for Xbox 360. I recall reading I could use other headsets but I have no idea what I should get. Could someone recommend me one?

Hi,
If i bought an arcade system can i upgrade the harddrive space? i was looking at pro, til i saw arcade is jasper, pro isn't yet, unless i'm wrong. as i was thinking about ordering from dell, thought if i could get a jasper unit i'd be more safe, so went from looking at pro to arcade, but the harddrive space is too small on arcade. aside from not being able to download as many games, arcade and pro are pretty much the same right, there isn't anything pro can do that arcade can't?

[quote name='sonik']Hi,
If i bought an arcade system can i upgrade the harddrive space? i was looking at pro, til i saw arcade is jasper, pro isn't yet, unless i'm wrong. as i was thinking about ordering from dell, thought if i could get a jasper unit i'd be more safe, so went from looking at pro to arcade, but the harddrive space is too small on arcade. aside from not being able to download as many games, arcade and pro are pretty much the same right, there isn't anything pro can do that arcade can't?[/QUOTE]
Arcade and Pro are pretty much the same minus the hard drive and I believe that the Arcade only comes with composite cables rather than the component cables on the pro. However, you can easily just get an HDMI cable for hi-def if your TV has the inputs for it. Also you can easily add a Hard Drive later on if you feel you need one, though it is $100 for the 60GB kit (comes with hard drive, ethernet cable and 3 months of Live) or $150 for the 120gb kit at retail.

[quote name='sonik']Hi,
If i bought an arcade system can i upgrade the harddrive space? i was looking at pro, til i saw arcade is jasper, pro isn't yet, unless i'm wrong. as i was thinking about ordering from dell, thought if i could get a jasper unit i'd be more safe, so went from looking at pro to arcade, but the harddrive space is too small on arcade. aside from not being able to download as many games, arcade and pro are pretty much the same right, there isn't anything pro can do that arcade can't?[/QUOTE]

Datek also just announced sd card versions of the memory card, which means adding storage will be a breeze using cheap sd cards. IMHO, this is what MS should have done in the first place.

[quote name='stoned99']Datek also just announced sd card versions of the memory card, which means adding storage will be a breeze using cheap sd cards. IMHO, this is what MS should have done in the first place.[/QUOTE]

yeah..surprised this wasnt done a WHILE ago

http://gizmodo.com/5260027

Do music playlists only work with music stored on the Xbox hard drive? I was wondering if I could make a playlist out of music that is streamed from my PC.

Basically I want a dance party playlist that I can use in my living room (PC is in a separate room). If I can't use a playlist then maybe I'll just creatively re-tag the "genre" for a bunch of files... seems like that could be a decent workaround to cue up a bunch of songs on the Xbox quickly.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Do music playlists only work with music stored on the Xbox hard drive? I was wondering if I could make a playlist out of music that is streamed from my PC.

Basically I want a dance party playlist that I can use in my living room (PC is in a separate room). If I can't use a playlist then maybe I'll just creatively re-tag the "genre" for a bunch of files... seems like that could be a decent workaround to cue up a bunch of songs on the Xbox quickly.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can stream music wired or wirelessly from your pc or zune to the 360 while playing a game.

I'm finally thinking of jumping back into the 7th Gen. Here's the deal... I can get a 360 repaired by a friend for very cheap. ($30-$50 bucks, w/o the power cable & video cable) He's had really good success with repairing them, so I trust his ability to do so.

Do you guys think its worth it? I mean, the initial outlay is a no brainer, but once I add on a second controller, Live, games... It becomes a potentially expensive investment. Would you chance it on a repaired/refurbished 360?

[quote name='joemoedee']I'm finally thinking of jumping back into the 7th Gen. Here's the deal... I can get a 360 repaired by a friend for very cheap. ($30-$50 bucks, w/o the power cable & video cable) He's had really good success with repairing them, so I trust his ability to do so.

Do you guys think its worth it? I mean, the initial outlay is a no brainer, but once I add on a second controller, Live, games... It becomes a potentially expensive investment. Would you chance it on a repaired/refurbished 360?[/QUOTE]

The only refurbished 360 that even seems like it may be worth it, is a version being sold by buy.com for approx 200$. It comes with a 1 yr warranty. If you don't get a warranty with a 360, don't buy it.

I basing my opinion on having returned 4 refurbished units to ms over the last 2 years.

[quote name='Malik112099']Yes, you can stream music wired or wirelessly from your pc or zune to the 360 while playing a game.[/QUOTE]oh yeah I use that feature all the time... I was just wondering if you could make playlists with the streamed music though! (like, a playlist with specific songs in it, instead of just picking an artist/genre/whatever and playing all)

Hmmm, not a big fan of third-party accessories, especially memory devices, but damn, that Datel 4GB (and expandable) memory card is quite, quite enticing. especially at $50.

[quote name='BustaUppa']oh yeah I use that feature all the time... I was just wondering if you could make playlists with the streamed music though! (like, a playlist with specific songs in it, instead of just picking an artist/genre/whatever and playing all)[/QUOTE]

Yea I always just hit Y to play all on the computer that I have networked with shuffle on, works for me.:bouncy:

Wow, uh.. I'm a dumbass?

So my wife got a new 360 unit and I attached my hard drive to it. Figured my PGR4 save would be on there and no issues, but I was OFFLINE. Well guess what? I went ahead and loaded it, poof, my entire play history is gone and it saved over my last save file. I did the same with Forza 2 though I hardly played that. Gota love MS DRM.

fuck.

Ok.
So how do I get my 360 to stream .dvix files? I have some in my videos folder, but, none are coming up.
What am I doing wrong?

Also, .avi didn't work too well either. :wall:

I stream divx and avi just fine with Windows. Put the movies you want to play on the 360 in a folder. Go into Windows media player (make sure you have the newest one) click Library -> Media Sharing. Select the XBox for sharing. Go in and select the folder you want to share. Let it update the share folder. Turn on the 360 and go to video library. Select you computer. Select the folder and play the movie (you have to be logged into XBox Live to play the movie). After the video starts you can log out of Xbox Live.

Thanks OP for putting this thread together. The opening FAQ helped me alot (although hopefully it'll be updated soon as promised).
--
I am currently a PS3 owner and while I think I made a smart choice a) strong hardware that doesn't break like a crappy 360 b) blu-ray exclusivity c) free online d) I still have PS1 games that I play occasionally...I am feeling I made the wrong choice.

I dislike the PS3 controller (blutooth is nice) because it's too small. Online play is a joke, where the fuck is our voice chat? Bluray hasn't really impressed me all that much (luckily I've only bought 3). And in general I'm disappointed with it's online community and trophy implementation.
--
Right now I am thinking about the Xbox 360 Pro 60gb. I am lots of goozex points/trades and so it's very appealing how easily I'll be able to get ahold of games like: Mass Effect, Fable II, Dead Rising, Banjo: Nuts and Bolts, Saint's Row 2.

So here is my system useage priorities thingies:
a) I do not store music, movies, or photos on a system very often if AT ALL.
b) I want to easily voice chat with other players while I play/or don't.
c) I want achievements
d) I am interested in this netflix service.

For the netflix service, what can I expect? My girlfriend and I are big television show watchers via DVD and movie watchers. For instance we watched all of The Wire & are now doing a tour of Battlestar Galactica. Is netflix' entire catalogue (per se') on Xbox live?

[quote name='ChernobylCow']For the netflix service, what can I expect? My girlfriend and I are big television show watchers via DVD and movie watchers. For instance we watched all of The Wire & are now doing a tour of Battlestar Galactica. Is netflix' entire catalogue (per se') on Xbox live?[/QUOTE]Only a limited selection of titles are available for instant watch. You can see what's available at this site, http://instantwatcher.com/, which directly accesses the Netflix database.

Still it's a pretty good selection, even if it's not complete. Sometimes they get stuff in HD before it's even available in any retail HD format (The Office). This is balanced by a lack of 5.1 surround sound, but supposedly they are working on adding that in the future.

Also at e3 they just announced that you'll be able to browse movies directly through your Xbox, instead of having to use a computer to add them to your queue first. I think that will be added in the Fall.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Thanks OP for putting this thread together. The opening FAQ helped me alot (although hopefully it'll be updated soon as promised).
--
I am currently a PS3 owner and while I think I made a smart choice a) strong hardware that doesn't break like a crappy 360 b) blu-ray exclusivity c) free online d) I still have PS1 games that I play occasionally...I am feeling I made the wrong choice.

I dislike the PS3 controller (blutooth is nice) because it's too small. Online play is a joke, where the fuck is our voice chat? Bluray hasn't really impressed me all that much (luckily I've only bought 3). And in general I'm disappointed with it's online community and trophy implementation.
--
Right now I am thinking about the Xbox 360 Pro 60gb. I am lots of goozex points/trades and so it's very appealing how easily I'll be able to get ahold of games like: Mass Effect, Fable II, Dead Rising, Banjo: Nuts and Bolts, Saint's Row 2.

So here is my system useage priorities thingies:
a) I do not store music, movies, or photos on a system very often if AT ALL.
b) I want to easily voice chat with other players while I play/or don't.
c) I want achievements
d) I am interested in this netflix service.

For the netflix service, what can I expect? My girlfriend and I are big television show watchers via DVD and movie watchers. For instance we watched all of The Wire & are now doing a tour of Battlestar Galactica. Is netflix' entire catalogue (per se') on Xbox live?[/QUOTE]

There is certainly enough NETFLIX content available to keep most ppl happy, but be prepared for disappointment, because just as much is missing. I recently started watching 30 Rock, and burned through Seasons 1 & 2, but 3 & 4 are missing. Same thing with the Tudors, but I'm also a BBC fan, and many great shows are available such as Red Dwarf, so it gets a solid B overall. Just use the 1 at a time by mail rental to get the movies that are not available for instant download.

Good decision on getting a 360, today at E3 they announced a slew of new features including streaming radio from LAST.FM

Thank you Busta and stoned. I really appreciate your informative comments.

stoned- my girlfriend grew up watching all that BBC crap so it's good to know she could potentially watch it on the xbox ;). What's that show with Mrs. 'Bucket'? heh

So I am looking at the current deals and it seems on Dell they're having a Xbox 360 Fable II & Halo3 black set which will come out to $370ish for me.

My problem is that in the thread there seems to be a lot of talk about how it's the old chipset and not the new jasper one. What should I worry about here?

bread's done
Back