The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='keithp']I think that's what mine was--check the amperage rating beside the power connector. If it says 14.2A it's a Falcon, 12.1A it's a Jasper.

You can also look at the power connector, the top long piece is split for a Jasper-

identifying_sm.jpg
[/QUOTE]

ah. hmm. yes mine is falcon. 14.2amp

[quote name='Spybreak8']You can't use a 3rd party hard drive on a 360, only the ones Microsoft creates specifically for the 360. It's a shame since you can grab an external terabyte hdd for less than their 120gig one. Its worth it though if you're like me and installed most of the games I play so the dvd (which sounds like a leaf blower when it starts up now) doesn't degrade so much as well as arcade/save game/video files.[/QUOTE]

ok maybe i am confused/misunderstanding... i see lots of xbox 360 hard drives on ebay for cheap (from hong kong, china, etc). will any of those work fine with xbox live? i just assumed they weren't the same as the authentic (more expensive) microsoft ones, thought they were "3rd party"

[quote name='will0957']ok maybe i am confused/misunderstanding... i see lots of xbox 360 hard drives on ebay for cheap (from hong kong, china, etc). will any of those work fine with xbox live? i just assumed they weren't the same as the authentic (more expensive) microsoft ones, thought they were "3rd party"[/QUOTE]
They should work fine with Xbox Live for now, but what happens in the future no one knows. The drives from the Hong Kong/China sellers are most likely the hacked 120gb laptop drives which take a Western Digital drive and a hacked file is placed on it to allow it to work with the 360.

hmm. well i took a risk. before i even posted here i had ordered a 120gb HD from ebay, was pretty sure it would be some chinese knock-off (was a US seller but it wasn't clear on the auction if it was authentic or not). anyway i got it today and sure enough it is some weird chinese thing.

i tried it and signed up for xbox live. works fine. played for a few hours tonight. crossing my fingers, but for now it seems to be fine.

a couple things. is it possible to have purchased a 360 last fall and have it be a xenon? it has hdmi, i thought the hdmo consoles were falcon .
i bought another 360 from a friend and he said he bought it last fall but its not a falcon (based on the power plug, it was manufactured in 9/07) which worries me.
is it possible to use dlc purchased on my other xbox on the new one as well?
everything i see has you putting your xbl profile on one xbox to buy the dlc and then putting the profile back on the other xbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that ever since the latest Microsoft maintenance that I can no longer keep my gamertag on my memory unit and move between xbox to xbox. Is anyone else having this problem?

I can sign in just fine with my gamertag on my memory unit, but as soon as I take it out and put it into another xbox it says it is corrupt and I have to recover it. It recovers fine, but this is incredibly annoying and time consuming. I have now tested this with 3 different xboxes. This is very frustrating because I can no longer take my profile to a friends house to play rockband with my purchased songs (without recovering).... argh!

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Alright, guys. The warranty information seems to be out of date. So I am wondering what I need to hold onto/keep in mind for when my jasper eventually dies (hopefully not). Do I need to mail off my warranty? Do I need original receipts? etc. I got my 360 three weeks ago from Amazon. Thanks.

Yes they should. I bought a new 360 arcade with the 512 mb inside and it had a hdmi port, no question. Therefore, the 60 gig system should have it as well.

[quote name='paz9x']a couple things. is it possible to have purchased a 360 last fall and have it be a xenon? it has hdmi, i thought the hdmo consoles were falcon .
i bought another 360 from a friend and he said he bought it last fall but its not a falcon (based on the power plug, it was manufactured in 9/07) which worries me.
is it possible to use dlc purchased on my other xbox on the new one as well?
everything i see has you putting your xbl profile on one xbox to buy the dlc and then putting the profile back on the other xbox.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='keithp']
identifying_sm.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Check your plug to see if it is a xenon. as far as using DLC on a different XBOX ....I have 2 360's and I take my 120gb with all my dlc and profile back and forth between them just fine. As long as I am connected to XBL I can use the DLC on a 360 it wasnt downloaded on

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Alright, guys. The warranty information seems to be out of date. So I am wondering what I need to hold onto/keep in mind for when my jasper eventually dies (hopefully not). Do I need to mail off my warranty? Do I need original receipts? etc. I got my 360 three weeks ago from Amazon. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

All you need is the serial number if it eventually dies. That's all, nothing else.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']need to buy another 360 and just have a quick question....do the 60gb pro/premiums or whatever they are calling them now have hdmi?[/QUOTE]

They all have HDMI now

If you transfer, or try to, an account you must be using the same version of the dashboard/NXE .
Is it an offline 360 you're having trouble with ?

I had that happen once because I pulled the memory unit before turning the console off. I think the console is constantly checking the MU for your profile info when it's running. If either of the consoles was still on when you removed the MU that might be the problem.

Good question, but I'm almost certain it doesn't. Is that just the 120GB hard drive that's sold separately that does? Seems like you have to send away for it, even with the Elite?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Good question, but I'm almost certain it doesn't. Is that just the 120GB hard drive that's sold separately that does? Seems like you have to send away for it, even with the Elite?[/QUOTE]

just got back from best buy and looked at the 60gb pro and the arcade and neither of those had hdd transfer paks. the stand alone 120gb pak did but i dont think that the elite did. however, also, i did notice something strange w/ the elite. the one that i looked at was the package w/ halo3 and fable 2, but the amp rating said 16.5A i believe. Wouldnt that make this a 1st gen 360....or is the elite different? i guess im just gonna go ahead and shell out the dough for the elite and then try to sell fable 2 and halo 3 on ebay or amazon if i can find one w/ a jasper chipset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, interesting. All the 360s Ive tried have been connected to xbox live so it should have the latest dashboard update. I will try reformatting my memory unit and see what happens.

I thought the introduction of hdmi came with the falcons. and started in the late summer of 2007.
crazy multiple models of xbox. i wouldnt have bought it if it was a xenon but it had hdmi whcih i thought no xenons had.

for the dlc. i dont want to physically move my hdd everytime.
thats a pain in the ass. is it possible in a similar way to shipwrecks method?
both consoles will have internet access and have live accounts.

The introduction of HDMI came well before Falcon, it was the...shoot, what was it called? Zepher I think? Which I've heard termed either a first or second gen 360. (Probably should be termed second gen, since it is a redesign, even if it still used 90nm CPU/GPUs.)

The only reliable way to tell what generation it is is from the power plug on the CONSOLE, not what's on the box or what's on the power supply. I've got a Falcon with the previous generation's power supply, for example.

I had a collection of Microsoft Point cards, XBL Gold Subscriptions, and a few games gathered, but never redeemed from various methods. All of which showed an expiration date of June 30, 2009. It hit me last night that they were expiring, so I quickly tried to redeem them all before the 1 July.

However, I still have a code for UNO for XBLA that I got with an XBL Gold Vision bundle I bought awhile back. I already had UNO downloaded, so the code is somewhat worthless to me. I wouldn't mind trading it, but I don't know if the code would still work or not, being that its passed its date.

If I recall correctly, some previous codes still worked, even after their expiration date. I know that Original XBL subscription cards didn't have expiration dates, and I was able to use some about 3 months ago.

I could test it by entering the code through the Xbox Dashboard using another account, but I don't want to tear open the code. If the code does still work, I'd like to try to trade it for an XBLA game code for a game that I don't have. In the event that the code does still work, I want to be able to verify to a potential trader that it hasn't been used.

Does anybody else have some Xbox 360 codes that haven't been redeemed yet, that are marked with the expiration date of June 30, 2009? If so, have you tried to redeem them, and/or has it worked (since July 1st)?

Thanks.

[quote name='Parrish15']What 360 is the best?
random.gif
[/QUOTE]

You mean like which of the three packages? Right now I'd say problem the $400 one if you can get it with Fable and Halo-makes it a really good deal (although I prefer the white color personally).

Otherwise you'd be looking at either a $200 Arcade, and adding a hard drive to it, or a $300 Regular, which is as good as the Elite, but doesn't come with an HDMI cable and has a smaller drive.

The actual hardware itself though is identical across all models-the only difference is what accessories get packed in.

[quote name='Crono51']I had a collection of Microsoft Point cards, XBL Gold Subscriptions, and a few games gathered, but never redeemed from various methods. All of which showed an expiration date of June 30, 2009. It hit me last night that they were expiring, so I quickly tried to redeem them all before the 1 July.

However, I still have a code for UNO for XBLA that I got with an XBL Gold Vision bundle I bought awhile back. I already had UNO downloaded, so the code is somewhat worthless to me. I wouldn't mind trading it, but I don't know if the code would still work or not, being that its passed its date.

If I recall correctly, some previous codes still worked, even after their expiration date. I know that Original XBL subscription cards didn't have expiration dates, and I was able to use some about 3 months ago.

I could test it by entering the code through the Xbox Dashboard using another account, but I don't want to tear open the code. If the code does still work, I'd like to try to trade it for an XBLA game code for a game that I don't have. In the event that the code does still work, I want to be able to verify to a potential trader that it hasn't been used.

Does anybody else have some Xbox 360 codes that haven't been redeemed yet, that are marked with the expiration date of June 30, 2009? If so, have you tried to redeem them, and/or has it worked (since July 1st)?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I had *JUST* bought the live starter kit today and the 3month card expired yesterday (6/30). I punched it in anyway and it took. You may want to dump them quick if there is a day or two grace period. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

New owner myself and I was wondering if there was anything for the 360 like the PS Blog that I can get emailed to me daily to stay up on upcoming releases and weekly downloads?

Those "expiration" dates seem to be more about when stores should take stuff off the shelves. I have redeemed many "expired" codes, some up to six months past the printed date. I would assume that, at some point down the road, the codes would actually cease to be valid, but it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the dates they have on them.

So, no idea if this is the right place for this question, but anyway....

My 360 recently started having problems displaying video. First noticed last week, when the TV would play sound perfectly, but wouldn't register any input. Tried HD input, regular input, with the AV cable switched appropriately. No dice. After an hour of fiddling, it started displaying video, and worked perfectly. Today, same story. Earlier, took alot of fiddling to get it working, but eventually it did. Couple hours later, no amount of fiddling would get video. Tested it on multiple TV's, and tested each TV with multiple systems. They all worked, no problem.

So, I gotta ask...how farked is it? I bought it in Summer '07, so it's well outside it's warranty range. It sounds normal, and there are no red lights. I've tried every trick I can find, from holding RightTrigger+Y to restore display defaults, to letting it cool down or heat up before trying. I'm pretty close to the "open it up and look for problems with the GPU" step.

Salamando3000,

I'm assuming you don't have an HDMI model Xbox. If you do, I'd suggest trying it through that.

Beyond that, I'd inspect the A/V port on the back of the Xbox to see if it looks like anything is damaged/broke/bent at the port. Check the cord for the same.

Its probably not your TV, but you could always see if the same problem occurs on a different TV. Also, try using a different A/V cable (from a friend, or a 3rd party brand). Try using your A/V cord on a friend's Xbox.

You should also be able to find some help at www.xbox.com/support (if the link doesn't actually work, you should know at least what I'm trying to get at).

...If it ends up being the console, you could try to get it to get the RRoD, since your're still covered under those issues, then chances are you'll get a replacement Xbox without the problem, or get it fixed, or complain about the console having video issues if you get the same 360 back, with the same problem. Good Luck.

thanks for those who cleared up my questions.
i hooked it up for the first time yesterday and wow i had forgotten how loud these things are. my elite is very quiet. Weird thing happened. i moved my sons profile (non-live) to his new xbox and signed him up for live. he had xbla games his non-live acocunt had played while on the same hdd on the old xbox transferred over to the new xbox and he has full access.
ms drm is crazy.

Newb Question Inc...

I just got my 1st X360 - an Arcade. (Thanks Amazon $75 Promo :lol:). The Listing said it came with 5 arcade games (PAC-MAN Championship Edition UNO Luxor 2 Boom Boom Rocket and Feeding Frenzy ). Maybe im missing something - but i dont see any disc or paper slip with instructions in the box and nothing seems to show up under games or the Xbox Memory listing.

Are those games still included in the current 360 arcade jasper bundles?

My Arcade didn't come with any either. :whistle2:( I was only interested in Pac-Man CE, and I already have the Namco collection, so I didn't care. The box didn't mention it, and the ones that come with the games have a sticker on it announcing it. You probably got 512 MB instead of the usual 256, so consider it a bonus.

Interesting question-it used to be included on a memory card, right? So it must not be getting included with the Jaspers. They need to update the box if it still says that, but I'd still rather have a Jasper.

How would I go about changing my email for my XBL account? I won't lose my achievements will I?

I don't know-if you have your Xbox Live account associated with a Hotmail account, does that mean you can't change it?

When I signed up for my latest Live account I did it with a non-hotmail account, specifically so I could change it later, and also because I think I was locked out of an earlier Live account because I didn't log in to the hotmail account it was associated with for too long. (Hurray for if I had "bought" anything through Live with that account...)

Does anyone's dashboard go REALLY slow? It took about 30 seconds for all the pictures to show up of the games when I went to GAME MARKETPLACE -> New Arrivals -> Arcade.

I just cleared my cache and it seemed to help for a minute, but slow again. I know it is not my ISP, and that is working fine and I am hardwired.

[quote name='doubledown']Does anyone's dashboard go REALLY slow? It took about 30 seconds for all the pictures to show up of the games when I went to GAME MARKETPLACE -> New Arrivals -> Arcade.

I just cleared my cache and it seemed to help for a minute, but slow again. I know it is not my ISP, and that is working fine and I am hardwired.[/QUOTE] It's not just you. There has been a service alert up for awhile about marketplace issues.

[quote name='doubledown']Does anyone's dashboard go REALLY slow? It took about 30 seconds for all the pictures to show up of the games when I went to GAME MARKETPLACE -> New Arrivals -> Arcade.

I just cleared my cache and it seemed to help for a minute, but slow again. I know it is not my ISP, and that is working fine and I am hardwired.[/QUOTE]

I just think its slow. Anytime I want to download something I use my laptop with the marketplace's website. Its way faster and all you have to do is turn off and back on your 360 to start the download, or just on if its off.

I wish they'd switch back to the older interface. This new one is confusing. It's funny they pretended it was great for new users or something, when in reality half of them wouldn't even be able to find where you launch a game from. That and most people have speed issues with it.

Obviously some things needed to be improved on the old interface, but it worked and was conceptionally simpler.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't know-if you have your Xbox Live account associated with a Hotmail account, does that mean you can't change it?[/QUOTE]

Well, I had it associated with an old MSN account and changed it to a Live account. My console information, though, is still tied to the MSN account, and I'm too lazy to call them and drive myself insane.

I just bought a NEW copy of Halo 3 LE Game from a great CAG'er and found that the discs are scratched up. It's definitely not his fault but I was wondering if any CAG'ers know if MS or Bungie is replacing these discs for FREE anymore. I don't see anything on the website stating that they are but I think regardless, they should replace a NEW game if it's scratched. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think so, my game scratched maybe a year ago and when I called xbox support they told me I had to buy a replacement for 20 bucks. But then again my copy wasn't new so you should call and find out.

To defend MS, how would they know if your game is really "new" without a receipt?

You know? You bought it from a non-retail source....

[quote name='strongpimphand']To defend MS, how would they know if your game is really "new" without a receipt?

You know? You bought it from a non-retail source....[/QUOTE]

yeah, i guess they would have to take your word for it but these are "known" for having scratched discs and if you're buying a "NEW" game, you should get a "NEW" game IMO. They really should err on the side of the customer. I sent an email to XBOX support and if I don't hear back I'll call them. Hopefully, they'll do the right thing.

You're going to send them an open package, no? No way for them to know the game is actually new or if you bought it used with a bunch of scratches.

Even though you bought it new since you bought it from someone on CAG you bought it second hand. So it isn't new. It is just in new condition.

bread's done
Back