The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='JJSP']You're going to send them an open package, no? No way for them to know the game is actually new or if you bought it used with a bunch of scratches.[/QUOTE]

Don't know what I'm gonna do. I sent an email to MS to see what they say. If they don't respond I'll call them on Monday. I've got all the new packaging and seals as well. They should take my word for it because its TRUE. Just wanted to know if anyone who recently bought a NEW Halo 3 LE got a FREE replacement or not. If anyone has, please chime in. Thanks!

Another question: I'm thinking of getting a second 360 and my current one is hardwired, but the other one, that is not an option. Is there a good ALTERNATIVE for the 360 Wireless Adapter???? $75-$99 is not cheap. I'm wondering what other people use if anything else....thanks!

I bought a Joytech wired controller for 360 at Goodwill for 1.99. I was very happy. Then I noticed the cutaway part of the cord (with the required USB end) is gone! What can I do? Can I find a replacement cord anywhere?

[quote name='doubledown']Another question: I'm thinking of getting a second 360 and my current one is hardwired, but the other one, that is not an option. Is there a good ALTERNATIVE for the 360 Wireless Adapter???? $75-$99 is not cheap. I'm wondering what other people use if anything else....thanks![/QUOTE]

I believe most people that have this problem usually just get a cheap wireless router (50 bucks or less, easy), and set it up to act as a bridge. A little googling should allow you to find a list of cheap routers this works with, as well as instructions on how to do it.

So, instead of double posting, just thought I'd amend this post. Seems my 360 is dead, and since it didn't die to E64 or Red Rings or etc, MS won't fix it. I'm planning on getting a new one, but am in no real hurry to do so. Do you guys foresee a new SKU/Bundle/Price drop between now and 2010?

Last edited by a moderator:
One more question. I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic/360 deal at Best Buy for a bedroom TV/360. My wife likes her wireless headphones and the Panasonic does NOT have RCA output for the audio. So, I was thinking of getting creative. Let me see if this works:

I have a spare system selector (RCA only). Can I have the 360 send the HDMI AND the RCA signal at the same time? The HDMI would be going to the TV and the RCA would be going to the system selector and then the outpt of the system selector would be going to the wireless headphones.....

I know it sound convoluted, but I don't have a receiver for my bedroom, and I'm looking for the BEST deal on a 32" TV and either a 360 or PS3. The Best Buy deal seems pretty good. Too bad Panasonic cheaped out on their audio outputs.

Question from me:

I just got HDMI Cable and having problems with audio and DVD Movies. With games, everything sounds great, but on DVD movies, the audio on HDMI is lower compared to the same level of volume on the composite cable.

I'm using a digital audio cable and the regular TV speakers for sound. Any way to fix it?

[quote name='doubledown']One more question. I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic/360 deal at Best Buy for a bedroom TV/360. My wife likes her wireless headphones and the Panasonic does NOT have RCA output for the audio. So, I was thinking of getting creative. Let me see if this works:

I have a spare system selector (RCA only). Can I have the 360 send the HDMI AND the RCA signal at the same time? The HDMI would be going to the TV and the RCA would be going to the system selector and then the outpt of the system selector would be going to the wireless headphones.....

I know it sound convoluted, but I don't have a receiver for my bedroom, and I'm looking for the BEST deal on a 32" TV and either a 360 or PS3. The Best Buy deal seems pretty good. Too bad Panasonic cheaped out on their audio outputs.[/QUOTE]I don't think the 360 locks out the audio signal if you're using an HDMI as well as another cable. It should work.

I already have Fallout 3 for the 360. I am not that interested in Oblivion. Any suggestions? I was thinking of either getting Tales of V. or Eternal Sonata. How is Star Ocean 4? I loved the 2nd one but hated the third.

Alright, well I got an account from a friend that has 9,860 Microsoft Points on it. It also has a lot of DLC downloaded on it already.

I don't plan on using it as my main account, but if he downloaded like a Halo 3 Map Pack, and then I download it again on my Hard Drive when logged into his account, can I use it on my main account?

No. If you download something new to your xbox with his account it will work. it works for whomever is signed in to the xbox that it was originally downloaded from.

[quote name='nnthomas']Lost Odyssey[/QUOTE]

Best RPG this generation IMO. I can't say enough about this game. If it's just between Eternal Sonata and Tales I can't help you out as I haven't played either. However I just did order Tales as is looks great and I loved Symphonia.

My friend has Lost Od. I am sure I could borrow it once he finally beats it. I saw about half an hour of gameplay. It looks to be a pretty game but I wasn't that big a fan of the gameplay. Plus there was alot of reading of text.

Hey guys, just grabbed a mint 360 w/ a 60GB drive off of Ebay for about $176 like new, shipped, hopefully it arrives as such....but...I'm curious to know if the Xbox.com site just uses the serial number or how that worked. I'm a PS3 owner already, but am new to the finer points of 360 like these. If I need RRoD or E74 work done, can I register the number, should I deal with the seller to get more documentation? Am I SOL because there's a chance the seller already registered it? I took a chance because it is seemingly a Jasper unit, but I'll deal with any mistakes should I have made any with this "idea" of mine....:whistle2:#

It was slightly impulsive, but after speaking with the seller on the condition, looking at info/pics, and watching the item for a couple hours to the end and snabbing it at the value I did, I bit the bullet and guess I'll have to chance it. (I could always just pay the fee to have something repaired also, by MS, if I have no warranty, from what I've read, and that's like $100)

I also jumped the gun with getting a Jasper and I'm thinking of indulging into the accessories. A headset for one. A wireless adapter.

I saw there was a way to manually change the 20gig HD to a 120gig HD. Anyone here been able to do that? DIY.

[quote name='BWS1982']Hey guys, just grabbed a mint 360 w/ a 60GB drive off of Ebay for about $176 like new, shipped, hopefully it arrives as such....but...I'm curious to know if the Xbox.com site just uses the serial number or how that worked. I'm a PS3 owner already, but am new to the finer points of 360 like these. If I need RRoD or E74 work done, can I register the number, should I deal with the seller to get more documentation? Am I SOL because there's a chance the seller already registered it? I took a chance because it is seemingly a Jasper unit, but I'll deal with any mistakes should I have made any with this "idea" of mine....:whistle2:#

It was slightly impulsive, but after speaking with the seller on the condition, looking at info/pics, and watching the item for a couple hours to the end and snabbing it at the value I did, I bit the bullet and guess I'll have to chance it. (I could always just pay the fee to have something repaired also, by MS, if I have no warranty, from what I've read, and that's like $100)[/QUOTE]

You can transfer the license number on xbox live site, if that's what you're asking about in registering.

My xbox is not reading disc and i'm still under warranty so im sending it in. Has anyone had trouble with the shipping label they provide not showing up and is there another way I can get one? It wont load on my browser

yeah I was wondering what happens as far as a registry of consumers, so that they can keep track of each console and each owner associated with that console....meaning, if the previous owner bought it 3 months ago (which she did) then I should theoretically have 33 months left of RRoD and E74 coverage, correct, no matter if she put in the serial number there or not, and I don't need any receipt or anything else, just the console and it's serial number on the back?

It better be a Jasper, I can't wait to see it and get it, UPS says it'll be Monday....Hope my time with 360 experience is as great as my PS3 one has been, I want to have the best of both worlds (well, got a gaming PC I built so it's not like a few aren't playable, but still a good handful of them aren't on PC)...Thanks in advance.

[quote name='BWS1982']yeah I was wondering what happens as far as a registry of consumers, so that they can keep track of each console and each owner associated with that console....meaning, if the previous owner bought it 3 months ago (which she did) then I should theoretically have 33 months left of RRoD and E74 coverage, correct, no matter if she put in the serial number there or not, and I don't need any receipt or anything else, just the console and it's serial number on the back?

It better be a Jasper, I can't wait to see it and get it, UPS says it'll be Monday....Hope my time with 360 experience is as great as my PS3 one has been, I want to have the best of both worlds (well, got a gaming PC I built so it's not like a few aren't playable, but still a good handful of them aren't on PC)...Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. I've been pretty okay with my Jasper for 2 weeks. Eats up my rechargeable batteries, but other than that fine. Gamertag?

Would it be a bad idea to fill up a 120 GB harddrive with just game installs and use a memory unit for gamesaves/gamertag?

I really wish there was a larger harddrive so I could have both download content and arcade games as well! :(

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Would it be a bad idea to fill up a 120 GB harddrive with just game installs and use a memory unit for gamesaves/gamertag?

I really wish there was a larger harddrive so I could have both download content and arcade games as well! :([/QUOTE]

I never heard of anyone increasing the hard drive space more than 120GB. I have seen posts online where someone manually changed their 20GB to a 120GB, reference here:http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html and there's another one lurking online, but that's all.

That sounds like a good way of using a 120GBs, use the memory for the little stuff.

Anyone having an issue where your console has a game in the drive, but at start-up the game goes unrecognized. Instead of a "Play Disc" I'm getting a "Open Tray" prompt at the My Xbox. The game will load if I open the tray and have the console read the disc. Anyone have any insight or similar experience with this issue?

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Anyone having an issue where your console has a game in the drive, but at start-up the game goes unrecognized. Instead of a "Play Disc" I'm getting a "Open Tray" prompt at the My Xbox. The game will load if I open the tray and have the console read the disc. Anyone have any insight or similar experience with this issue?[/QUOTE]

I've gotten that sometimes. But you have to open the tray and reclose to have the disc read? The disc just won't play on startup of ur Xbox?

If I get a second 360, how does the GamerTag work? I have a Gold Membership on my one, can I just recover that account on the second 360 and use it there? Would I have to "recover" it each time or can each just have it?

Also, how would I get my profile/account on a second XBOX 360?

Thanks!

[quote name='doubledown']If I get a second 360, how does the GamerTag work? I have a Gold Membership on my one, can I just recover that account on the second 360 and use it there? Would I have to "recover" it each time or can each just have it?

Also, how would I get my profile/account on a second XBOX 360?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You put your xbox live profile on a memory card and plug the card into the xbox that you are using at that time. Excessive recovering of a profile can sometimes trigger problems from MS, they think you are profile sharing (against TOS), plus it's slow as hell.

No, sorry, no gamertag yet, this would be my first 360 once it arrives (and hopefully works very well and for a long while)...my PSN is Berserker1982 though...I don't game online much, because the connection potential where I am is very bad.

Monday's a coming.....

[quote name='stoned99']You put your xbox live profile on a memory card and plug the card into the xbox that you are using at that time. Excessive recovering of a profile can sometimes trigger problems from MS, they think you are profile sharing (against TOS), plus it's slow as hell.[/QUOTE]

Only a MEMORY CARD? What happens if you do not have one? How would you recover your GamerTag if your HDD died or something?

Follow on question. Any way to get HDMI out and then RCA to my wireless headphones? Do I have to pry open the component cable for the 360 shell since apparently they both won't fit.

[quote name='doubledown']Only a MEMORY CARD? What happens if you do not have one? How would you recover your GamerTag if your HDD died or something?

Follow on question. Any way to get HDMI out and then RCA to my wireless headphones? Do I have to pry open the component cable for the 360 shell since apparently they both won't fit.[/QUOTE]

You can recover it to any device, but it takes forever if you have a large game history. The memory card is the easiest way to jump between different xbox's.

You're tv should have an audio out / pass thru option, so the audio goes from xbox via hdmi to tv to headphones. I do the same thing on mine, hdmi -> tv -> optical out -> stereo -> headphones

Component cable quality vs HDMI is negligible anyways, both support 1080P. The only difference is that HDMI also carries the audio signal and incorporates the HDCP (copyright) information of the original source.

I do not have a receiver on my second XBOX, and my wireless headphones only have RCA's. The TV I have only has digital out....although, I found a creative way around it. Basically, I run HDMI to the TV, and I add the 360 proprietary cable that has RCA into a system selector which selects the wireless headphones. Works great actually.

As for the GamerTag. Once I get my GamerTag on both consoles, do I always have to recover it, or will it just be "there"? I'm in no hurry yet, as I still need to find a deal ona wireless adapter.

Account Recovery related question:

Edit: Answer:

Taken from MS website: When you perform account recovery, any other copies of your Xbox Live enabled profile that are on any memory units or hard drives will be invalidated to help protect your security.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Account Recovery related question:

Edit: Answer:

Taken from MS website: When you perform account recovery, any other copies of your Xbox Live enabled profile that are on any memory units or hard drives will be invalidated to help protect your security.[/QUOTE]
I can confirm this as I tried the account recovery process when I first got my 360 and wanted to use my profile at a friends.

Basically you can recover your profile on a different console, but when you want to use your profile on the original console you will have to recover it a second time. That recovery onto the original console also removes the right to access your profile on that 2nd console.

So as others have stated, a memory card is probably the best way to transport your profile between consoles.

360 will connect to live
PC can ping 360
WMP11 has 360 shared in the library
I do all 3 above... "PC not listed"

So I start/stop all those services
I get... "PC not listed"

I open up all kinds of ports
I get... you guessed it.. "PC not listed"

I then do the DRM delete thing
I get.. yup.. "PC not listed"

WTF MATE!?!?!?!?!? This is seriously pissing me off.

HELP!!!!

[quote name='christen25']I've gotten that sometimes. But you have to open the tray and reclose to have the disc read? The disc just won't play on startup of ur Xbox?[/QUOTE]

Right, I have to open the disc tray in order for the game to be read. I'm not sure if it's related, but sometimes my console hangs at the opening Xbox screen for a couple of minutes before moving on to the Dashboard. Sigh. I guess my console needs to be sent in. I'm on my third one.

lolz..loaded up Tversity and boom... 5 min later I'm watching video.

So.. wtf mate is wrong w/ just a simple M$ product communicating with another M$ product?

F'ING TITS!!!!

I had deleted the wrong DRM folder... I deleted the right one and BOOM... FINALLY!!! Xbox and PC are talking :)

Here's the link
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081005044236AAD87jA

And here's the post incase the link goes away
1) Make sure your 360 is on.

2) Goto Start -> Run: Type in "services.msc" without quotes.

3) Find the service called "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Serivce", Right-Click on it and select Stop. Close the Window.

4) Double Click "My computer", Select Tools -> Folder Options.

5) In the Folder Options windows, select the "View" tab.

6) Select "Show hidden Files and folders", and UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files".

7) Hit Apply, Hit Ok.

8) Double-Click on your C drive. If you see a folder called DRM then goto step 10.

9) Double-Click the "Documents and Settings" folder, double-click the "All Users" folder.

*If you still cant find your DRM folder, Goto Start -> Run , Type in "regedit" without quotes. Expand "HKEY Local Machines" -> Expand "Microsoft" -> Expand "DRM". Double Click on the file in the right side of the window called "DataPath". In the new window called "Edit Binary Value" it should list the datapath to your drm folder along the rightside, itll look kind of scrambled. *

10) Double-Click the "DRM" folder, Click Edit -> Select All. Then Delete. If it asks you, "Are you sure that you want to delete this system file", answer yes to all. Trust me, this will not affect your system at all. Read more and it will be explained.

11) Select Tools -> Folder Options.

12) In the Folder Options windows, select the "View" tab.

13) Select "Do not Show hidden Files and folders", and check "Hide protected operating system files". Select Apply, Select OK.

14) Goto Start -> Run: Type in "services.msc" without quotes.

15) Find the service called "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Serivce", Right-Click on it and select Start.

16) Go into Windows Media Player 11, and make sure your 360 is detected and "Allowed" to share.

17) Goto your 360, Select Music or Pictures, Select Computer, Select Yes, and hopefully your pc will now be found

*DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, it has to to do with how media is shared with the programs (Zune, WMA, ITUNES, etc).*

Your problem should be solved now.

Hi guys,

I just picked up an Xbox 360 today. I wanted to check to make sure I have a jasper model before opening it, but it is kind of hard to find it through the box. So before I attempt to look and possibly cause some damage, should a date of 6-11-2009 have a Jasper model, or is that not a guarantee?

I just wanted to have an idea before I would do anything.

thanks!

EDIT: I also wanted to ask if Mirrors Edge and Forza 2 has achievements in the game. I also have a PS3 and there are some games that don't have trophies in them... I was thinking the achievements would make the games last a little longer in case I don't get any more in a little while.

Thanks!

[quote name='Salamando3000']While I can't answer your question about Jaspers, every game on the 360 has achievements...retail, arcade, bought at burger king, all have achievements[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that was what I was thinking, but just wanted to check. I don't really stress over the trophies, but when I get kind of board with a game it is fun to try and get some of them, so I think achievements will keep me playing the games longer.

Thanks again!

I just looked and to me it looks like it says: 12v - 12.1A; 5v - 1A

I believe that is the jasper, but just wanted to double check.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']Thanks, that was what I was thinking, but just wanted to check. I don't really stress over the trophies, but when I get kind of board with a game it is fun to try and get some of them, so I think achievements will keep me playing the games longer.

Thanks again!

I just looked and to me it looks like it says: 12v - 12.1A; 5v - 1A

I believe that is the jasper, but just wanted to double check.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I used as reference to check if your Xbox is a jasper

images

Thanks. I was just kind of hoping I could look and see before opening it. I thought you could tell by the voltage or something and just wanted to make sure before I open it.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']Thanks. I was just kind of hoping I could look and see before opening it. I thought you could tell by the voltage or something and just wanted to make sure before I open it.[/QUOTE]

I just checked my box (the green packaging) and I couldn't find any indicators of the board. The only unique numbers where the Lot numbers on the bar code.

If there is any unique identifier of a Jasper through the packaging, that would be good to know. I have heard read that most Xbox's out are either Falcon or Jasper.

Another way of figuring out if you'll get a Jasper is to go to places that restock a lot and get an Arcade with the free games (usually has Sonic on the box).

As far as I know, the only sure fire way of telling the three major revisions apart is how the physical power connector on the *console* itself looks (NOT the power connector on the PSU, as it can be anything, doesn't tell you what gen the system is).

I still don't see the huge need to go on a manhunt for a jasper....especially with the option to install games to the hard drive (which has drastically cut down on load times and of course, the horrible sounds of a machine working) and the 360's crazy 3 year warranty

I guess I could understand taking a quick glance at the lot number to see or whatever...but I don't understand people who go on manhunts for them in a store. I saw one person asking an associate to go look for XXXX just so he could get a jasper.

If it's that serious, you might just want to wait for the next new chip to come out....but then again, if you wait for the next new chip then you might want to wait for the next new chip...

bread's done
Back