The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

[quote name='strongpimphand']I still don't see the huge need to go on a manhunt for a jasper....especially with the option to install games to the hard drive (which has drastically cut down on load times and of course, the horrible sounds of a machine working) and the 360's crazy 3 year warranty

I guess I could understand taking a quick glance at the lot number to see or whatever...but I don't understand people who go on manhunts for them in a store. I saw one person asking an associate to go look for XXXX just so he could get a jasper.

If it's that serious, you might just want to wait for the next new chip to come out....but then again, if you wait for the next new chip then you might want to wait for the next new chip...[/QUOTE]

I got a Jasper because I didn't want to deal with any of the problems that came with the older chips. I had a Falcon that went 3RL on me, and not even a reflow fix the board permanently (a baking lasted longer).

I've read a lot about people still having issues with the Falcon chip. I figure if they are available I should try and get the jasper to have the best chance. Plus, it seems like having the newest technology would be the way to go. I've not really been hunting them down though, I've just been waiting for a good deal, once I found one I liked, I then went to Best Buy to see if they had a newer one and picked it up. I figure I'm going to do everything possible to keep this thing from RRing i.e. open area, downloading games, keeping it clean, etc. so getting a Jasper is just an extra step.

I've read some of the guides online but they all are in regards to the arcade model, so that doesn't help with my Pro.

From what I have read it looks like the power supply should read like:

12.1 amps (12,1A;5V - 1A) where the - stands for the line with three dots under it.

However, mine reads:

12v- 12.1A;5v-1A

So there are some differences and I was just wanting to double check.

Thanks!

[quote name='1NintendoFan']I've read a lot about people still having issues with the Falcon chip. I figure if they are available I should try and get the jasper to have the best chance. Plus, it seems like having the newest technology would be the way to go. I've not really been hunting them down though, I've just been waiting for a good deal, once I found one I liked, I then went to Best Buy to see if they had a newer one and picked it up. I figure I'm going to do everything possible to keep this thing from RRing i.e. open area, downloading games, keeping it clean, etc. so getting a Jasper is just an extra step.

I've read some of the guides online but they all are in regards to the arcade model, so that doesn't help with my Pro.

From what I have read it looks like the power supply should read like:

12.1 amps (12,1A;5V - 1A) where the - stands for the line with three dots under it.

However, mine reads:

12v- 12.1A;5v-1A

So there are some differences and I was just wanting to double check.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Open the unit and check if both chips are 65mm. :lol:

[quote name='christen25']Open the unit and check if both chips are 65mm. :lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol: Good idea!

I've looked around online, found some more sites and stuff explaining how to check, so I'm pretty sure I do have a Jasper, so I'm just going to go ahead and open mine up...

However, after thinking about it some more, I'm not kind of questioning if I should get the Arcade bundle and then get a 120gb hard drive instead. Having never downloaded games and stuff before, I'm a little worried that the 60gb hard drive won't last very long. On average, how many games would this hold, it seems to be putting the games on there would take a ton of space... I'm not really worried about save data as I'm doing fine with my PS3 and I don't plan to get too many Arcade games, but I'm a little concerned with downloading my games to the system.

Thanks!

Can someone recommend me a good cheap headset that will actually work longer that five months? I have had a 360 for maybe one full year and I have already gone through 2 of the official xbox headsets headsets that came with the system.

[quote name='macontosh2000']Can someone recommend me a good cheap headset that will actually work longer that five months? I have had a 360 for maybe one full year and I have already gone through 2 of the official xbox headsets headsets that came with the system.[/QUOTE]

The official wireless headset. It's such an improvement over the wired one. It's comfortable, louder, and more convenient. I wear it for hours and forget it's even there. It does have a few quirks, though. Rarely it will disconnect for about 5 seconds and then reconnect. Sometimes it will make a loud buzzing noise that you can only fix by turning it off and then back on.

Even with its few minor annoyances, I love it compared to the original wired headset.

[quote name='maigoyume']This thread should give you a general idea of how much space each game will take.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202456[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I actually found this after I asked the question. It was definitely less than I was hoping for, but I'm thinking I may keep the pro anyway and get a 120gb if I fill the 60gb. I'm not a fan of the Elite console and I'd like to have backwards compatibility, so I don't want the arcade.

Thanks again

[quote name='macontosh2000']Can someone recommend me a good cheap headset that will actually work longer that five months? I have had a 360 for maybe one full year and I have already gone through 2 of the official xbox headsets headsets that came with the system.[/QUOTE]

Codejunkies has a bunch of accessories. Haven't given them a try yet.

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/XB360-Gaming-Headset__EF000278.aspx

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/XB360-Communicator-Headset__EF000175.aspx

And they are CHEAPER too!

Thinking about getting a 360... any reason to get the Pro/Elite vs an Arcade and adding on a cheap HD from Amazon? Other than the HDD/colors are they basically all the same.

And if I buy a new machine, is there much chance of a RROD, or has that basically been solved by the newest chipset?

And while we're on the topic--is the Elite w/$70 Amazon GC the way to go?

with every new chip, microsoft has claimed to have fixed rrod, they have not, and i dont think they will fix this problem. only difference between arcade and pro that i know of is i believe the arcade does not have an hdmi port, and it dosnt come with component cables to hook up in hd, just standard cables. now dont quote me on this because i am not 100% on what i have said. the box of the arcade says it isnt backwards compatible, but im pretty sure all you need to do to make it backwards compatible is attach a hard drive. and i might go with the elite with $70 gc, exspecially if it is the halo3/fable2 combo elite, because then you also have two good games to start out with

A new arcade from Dell ($169 I thnk) is the best deal. If you want a hard drive buy one off ebay.

All new 360s have HDMI ports. Jaspers are the newest chipset, sometimes it can be tricky to figure out which skus/suppliers have Jaspers.

If you want easy target has a pro for $300 with $50 gift card (if you want component cables this may be the route to go)

If you are sure you want a 120gb and Fable 2 and Halo 3, elite from Amazon with $50gift card is a good deal too.

I just got another xbox 360 and it has the manufacture date of 06 (yea i know, a crap box). anyways, i took the faceplate off and saw only a silver ms sticker. and on the back where the serial is it doesnt have a remanufacture date on it either, just the regular date. anyone know how else to know if its a refurb?

I am fed up with the 360s loud ass disc drive and want a bigger hard drive to install my games on.

The 120gb is way too expensive and I got a halo edition anyways, irony is I dont have or really like halo.

But I've seen/read/heard about people modding their preexisting hard drives to upgrade to a 120gb. It looks tricky, risky, and confusing. So if anyone has any experience doing an upgrade please help me out. PM me or post, I'm very curious about this.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I am fed up with the 360s loud ass disc drive and want a bigger hard drive to install my games on.

The 120gb is way too expensive and I got a halo edition anyways, irony is I dont have or really like halo.

But I've seen/read/heard about people modding their preexisting hard drives to upgrade to a 120gb. It looks tricky, risky, and confusing. So if anyone has any experience doing an upgrade please help me out. PM me or post, I'm very curious about this.[/QUOTE]

Just check on PC World. They have a good reference. And I look at the process, doesn't seem that risky. If you can find the WD Scorpio hard drive, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Are you afraid MS will detect your upgrade and ban you? or just fcking up your current HDD? A fcked up HDD isn't that bad.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

There's the link.

-christen25

[quote name='1NintendoFan']
However, after thinking about it some more, I'm not kind of questioning if I should get the Arcade bundle and then get a 120gb hard drive instead. Having never downloaded games and stuff before, I'm a little worried that the 60gb hard drive won't last very long. On average, how many games would this hold, it seems to be putting the games on there would take a ton of space... I'm not really worried about save data as I'm doing fine with my PS3 and I don't plan to get too many Arcade games, but I'm a little concerned with downloading my games to the system.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Games dont take up too much space, there's a more descriptive thread with more sizes, but I would say around 4gb, some games can go higher towards 6,9,12+ while there are other games which are smaller. With a 60, you wont be playing more than a few games at a time anyways Im guessing, so you can delete/install games when you need to.

[quote name='Link927']Games dont take up too much space, there's a more descriptive thread with more sizes, but I would say around 4gb, some games can go higher towards 6,9,12+ while there are other games which are smaller. With a 60, you wont be playing more than a few games at a time anyways Im guessing, so you can delete/install games when you need to.[/QUOTE]

I'm still searching for a HDD. For Marvel VS Capcom 2. Coming out July 29!

[quote name='christen25']Just check on PC World. They have a good reference. And I look at the process, doesn't seem that risky. If you can find the WD Scorpio hard drive, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Are you afraid MS will detect your upgrade and ban you? or just fcking up your current HDD? A fcked up HDD isn't that bad.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

There's the link.

-christen25[/QUOTE]

This is so ridiculous. Microsoft has no option above 120 GB HD available for the public. What do they expect? Their users to buy 2 120GB HDs?

There is no firmware as of yet to support more than 120 GB, unlike the PS3. I heard you can plug in any HD into the PS3.

I think I will go with that 60gb starter pack.

I figured I only play 4 games right now, might go up in the future. But if each games is 6.6-6.9, what those 4 games range at, lets just call them 7.

thats only 28gb, out of maybe what, 50ish gb in the 60 HD. Or how much is the available space anyways on the 60gb?

I'd still have room for a few games, and DLC.

Plus that halo edition 20gb HDD has to be worth something, maybe $20 at least?

Hello everybody, I was thinking that I should buy an xbox 360 but since I don't have that much cash (damn college), I have been looking for the best deal. So, does anybody know where I can get a great deal on an xbox 360 new/used (doesn't matter as long as it works) preferably one that comes with a HDD. Thanks.

Also, if anybody is selling theirs, I'd love to take it off their hands.

Hey guys,
I haven't played a racing game since nfs:MW and I'm finally in the mood for another. I haven't kept up with the racing genre so I need your help.

I like more of an arcade racer, in the past I have enjoyed burnout, NFS, and Full Auto. My favorite has always been running from/being the cops. I'm looking for a game with more of a linear storyline that I can play through rather than a huge open world because my xbox live currently doesn't work.

What game Is right for me?
Thanks

Forget what I said about MW since you have already played it. Sry didn't read that

PGR3
PGR 4
Burnout Paradise (great but its open world)
Test Drive Unlimited (same as burnout)

If you're anything like me (and it seems like it) you won't like PGR 3/4, Midnight Club or Burnout Paradise (without the updates). I can't comment on Pure or Grid. I actually prefer Ridge Racer 6 to the four games above. After updates are applied or if you can get online to play you'll probably enjoy Burnout Paradise.

I haven't played NFS:Underground, but from what I know I think that may be your best bet. The biggest knocks in the review scores were due to frame rate which doesn't necessarily take away from the experience if you're looking for a casual game. You could also wait until Forza 3 comes out. I hate Sim racers but what they've done with Forza 3 is incredible. Turning all assists on, watching the spot-on racing line and using the rewind button makes it the most user friendly racer I've ever played. Not only did I enjoy playing it, but I also felt like I was learning as I was playing.

PGR4 is my favorite game over all but there are plenty of good racers.

Burnout Paradise is great but It's still not as good as the old style Burnout games.

Forza is great but will obviously be owned by It's sequel come October.

Dirt is the best rally game I played since Rallisport Challenge 2 (which is still my favorite Rally game) so I'm looking forward to Dirt 2.

Since this CAG, and you should look for games cheap I would recommend Burnout Paradise and Forza (since It's dirt cheap thanks to the pack in years ago). Also Riiiiiiiiidge Racer is like $6 at Gamestop used.

1. Target is throwing in a $50 gift card with an Xbox 360 60GB console purchase

2. This should be moved to the "request a video game deal" forum

you will have to buy/borrow one. xbox only gives them to you if you buy a new console and you have to provide the serial # of both consoles. at one point they let you claim you ordered a console online and are waiting for it to come in. but i believe they stopped doing that =( good luck

I would suggest if you happen to know anyone at a local store that sells games or electronics. Maybe they would let you borrow it?
A friend of mine borrowed a transfer cable off of a manager from a game store for a day to transfer the data. Maybe you can bring the console or the hard drives to the store and see if they can do it ?

Looking at a few sites I was correct that it was in the support section, but it appears they stopped sending them out now. I would suggest calling customer service and requesting one or if it comes down to it paying for shipping to and from another CAG to borrow theirs if you don't have a friend locally with one.

So my wife's friend needs to buy an xbox on the cheap. I'm generally opposed to refurbished, but it looks like it to me that microsoft is now giving 1yr on refurb's as well. Most sites selling refurbs indicate 90 days, but if you go to microsoft and search on refurb, the document clearly says 1 year. So what gives, do you have to buy a refurb from microsoft to qualify, the guy at gamecrazy today also indicated 1 year, but I'm not so sure he's a reliable source of info.

Anyone have any experience with refurbs and their warranties.

thanks

Ok, I picked up a wireless adapter today. Had some Best Buy gift cards and they price-matched WalMarts online price of $76.96....not bad, not great either...but it was instant gratification. Now, another problem I have.

I have a Linksys WRT-54G on my main floor in the back of the house. The XBOX with the wireless is on the second floor. I was able to get the 360 to connect to my network, but it was only at 1 RED bar. I tried streaming some video from my PC and it was choppy and basically unwatchable....to the point where it would not even play at times.

Any suggestions to fix this? Do I need like a middle man to help boost the signal? Would a better wireless router work? I could reposition my current router, which would take some work since I would have to re-run all my wires going to it. It currently sits next to my computer, kind of behind my monitor. I have a hutch on my computer desk and I could put it on top of the hutch, would that help possibly? I may need some longer Cat-5 cable since I have a few things wired to it currently.

[quote name='doubledown']Ok, I picked up a wireless adapter today. Had some Best Buy gift cards and they price-matched WalMarts online price of $76.96....not bad, not great either...but it was instant gratification. Now, another problem I have.

I have a Linksys WRT-54G on my main floor in the back of the house. The XBOX with the wireless is on the second floor. I was able to get the 360 to connect to my network, but it was only at 1 RED bar. I tried streaming some video from my PC and it was choppy and basically unwatchable....to the point where it would not even play at times.

Any suggestions to fix this? Do I need like a middle man to help boost the signal? Would a better wireless router work? I could reposition my current router, which would take some work since I would have to re-run all my wires going to it. It currently sits next to my computer, kind of behind my monitor. I have a hutch on my computer desk and I could put it on top of the hutch, would that help possibly? I may need some longer Cat-5 cable since I have a few things wired to it currently.[/QUOTE]

signal strength is key, if the wireless router is too far away, or you sharing it's wireless signal between too many devices your up shit's creek.

try moving the xbox closer to the wireless router to see if distance is the issue. If so then a wireless booster may be the solution.

[quote name='stoned99']signal strength is key, if the wireless router is too far away, or you sharing it's wireless signal between too many devices your up shit's creek.

try moving the xbox closer to the wireless router to see if distance is the issue. If so then a wireless booster may be the solution.[/QUOTE]

How does the wireless booster work? Do I need to run Ethernet to that also? My current setup, I have an ethernet cable running to my 360 downstairs, but the one upstairs is wireless. Should I put like a bridge next to my downstairs XBOX? (there is a PS3 that is wireless there also). I basically got the XBOX upstairs for my wife so she can stream videos from my computer to her 360. I'm using WMP11 to stream everything also, as that has worked just fine for everything.

The problem is I cannot really move the XBOX. I will try to reposition my router after I get some longer cables though.

If you have a compatible router, try flashing it to DD-WRT. It has a feature taht lets you boost your signal power to max. I can now get a 3/4 signal from the first floor of my home, in the opposite corner where my Wii is.

nvm you have the same router as me so it would work.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']If you have a compatible router, try flashing it to DD-WRT. It has a feature taht lets you boost your signal power to max. I can now get a 3/4 signal from the first floor of my home, in the opposite corner where my Wii is.

nvm you have the same router as me so it would work.[/QUOTE]

I'm always afraid to brick it....can you give me some pointers on this? I have WRT-54G Version 5. Not sure if that matters or not. Will I have to set up everything again to have it connect to it?

i bought an xbox 360 monday after geting adicted to halo on my pc .i bought a new arcade unit , halo 3 and sonic's genisis collection .

i am loveing it but my tv , well , is crap . its so old it has two dials instead of a digital tuner , i cant even use a remote lol . i have a viewsonic PS775 17 inch crt pc display that i was thinking of useing with a xbox 360 vga cable . any one here try the vga cable ? what is your impression of it ?

Uh, so are you just asking if you should use your 360 on your monitor instead of your really old T.V.?

If so, I'd say go with the monitor. I use the VGA cable on my HDTV and I really like it. Sounds like you need a new T.V. and/or monitor though.

I heard that the slightest movement of an Xbox 360 will scratch a spinning disc such as jumping around while playing Guitar Hero. My main concern is that I will be using a wired Xbox 360 controller to save on batteries/charges for gaming.

Do Xbox 360 consoles still scratch discs or was that problem fixed with newer models?

I played my 360 on my PC monitor with a VGA cable for over a year before I got a new (hd) tv. It looks and played fine.

I did have to buy a couple of audio cables/adapters to hook the red/white rca sound cables to my PC speakers, but ymmv depending on what you have.

If you can find the official VGA cables used in a Gamestop they are only $10, but I imagine the cables randeep recommended work just as well.

Now that my 360 is hooked to a large tv and I sit on the couch to play, I find it lacking for FPS games like Call of Duty. I grew up playing shooters on a PC, at a desk, and I kind of miss that.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I heard that the slightest movement of an Xbox 360 will scratch a spinning disc such as jumping around while playing Guitar Hero. My main concern is that I will be using a wired Xbox 360 controller to save on batteries/charges for gaming.

Do Xbox 360 consoles still scratch discs or was that problem fixed with newer models?[/QUOTE]

The xbox 360 is still capable of scratching the discs if you move it from the vertical position to the horizontal position or vice versa. I don't believe jumping around will cause any scratching on your games unless you somehow jump hard enough to move the xbox 360 significantly like it falling down

You can scratch the disc by simply ejecting it when the disc is still spinning. It happened to me just last week. The scratch was light, but visible. IMHO, this issue is another class action suit waiting to happen.

bread's done
Back