The General eBay Rant Thread

I might have to go through my listings and check the immediate payment with Buy It Now...........getting really tired of accepting offers and people not paying for days or not at all! WHY TF DID YOU SEND AN OFFER IF YOU DIDNT WANT IT?!

How annoying! Apparently you have to have something in the UPC box when listing from a desktop/laptop. I cant find a "None" option except for on the app. IDK WTF the UPC is on my old ass item Ebay! Im just gonna put in UPC numbers from other stuff!

HA people are so f'n cheap! I have Ben 10 PSP game up for $10 with free shipping. And Im throwing in the House of Flying Daggers umd. Girl sends a $5 offer, I came back with $8 because Im not interested in making 1 whole dollar on it after shipping...........she declines! WTF is $3 more dollars to a buyer?! That helps me with shipping.

Anyone understand this tax nonsense they're having to incorporate? Does it even affect private sellers?
Never understood this shit on ebay. Paypal isn't a fucking bank. That money should be the equivalent of store credit until it hits your bank account, IF you choose to take cash. If you spend it back on ebay, it should be untraceable. When you trade shit at Gamestop, do you put that on your taxes? fuck that shit.

Wow. And right as the holidays start. I guess eBay thought this was the best time to do it as many of us are already planning things on eBay to sell for the holiday season and eBay figures they won't lose a ton of buyers and sellers right now.

What do you guys expect? eBay is about the most corrupt, backstabbing website that exists right now. I half-expect their executives to start committing home-invasion robberies.

And my first experience with this tax thing, guy bought a game from me for $182 shipped.........theyre going to charge $18 for taxes to him!

Last edited by a moderator:
And my first experience with this tax thing, guy bought a game from me for $182 shipped.........theyre going to charge $18 for taxes to him!
I mean, do you have a storefront on ebay or are you just a private seller doing small time things? If they're going to charge tax across the board for sales, then they can fuck right off. Unless it's something with a ridiculously high ROI then I'm not even bothering. They can't fucking double dip sales tax if it's purchased from a store already; between the customer and myself we'd be charged twice for the same damn thing!

I do not have store front. I just list things when I feel like flipping something or getting rid of something. I agreed this time to bump the price down $10 for them but thats not something Ill keep doing!

In required states, Ebay will collect the sales tax on your behalf. It does not directly impact your bottom line. Buyers will see it in the total before they complete their purchase.

Online purchases and sales greatly impact state income, which in turn reduces dollars to education, roads, utilities, and other necessary services. This is a great step in recovering those funds.

"It does not directly impact your bottom line"........it might. A lot of people buy on Ebay because you didnt have to pay taxes on stuff. Now people are gonna be low balling even more because they have to pay taxes. "This is a great step in recovering those funds"...........STFU! Theyre trying to get sales tax from shit I/other sellers already paid sales taxes on!

You think people should be taxed for the stuff they sell at yardsales too?

Hence the word 'directly.' What you are referring to is an indirect impact.

If you are selling a used item at a price for less than you paid for it, then no - I don't think the item should be taxed. I think people should be taxed for things they sell at a profit (look up capital gains).

What's the list of affected states?

Juan, just ignore pig. He's a big government buttkisser. Our taxes and what we pay taxes on are increasing year after year. Two years ago it was tax on most stuff we buy on Amazon. This year, they're targeting eBay. We have to put our foot down or the government will put theirs down on our throats.

In required states, Ebay will collect the sales tax on your behalf. It does not directly impact your bottom line. Buyers will see it in the total before they complete their purchase.

Online purchases and sales greatly impact state income, which in turn reduces dollars to education, roads, utilities, and other necessary services. This is a great step in recovering those funds.
Taxation aftermarket aka private sale is double-dipping. They got paid; how about they utilize their budget better and eliminate the fat.

Just had to throw this out, in some cases theyre trying to triple dip! Someone paid sales tax on their item, it got donated to Goodwill and I paid taxes again on it, someone on Ebay from one of these states is gonna have to pay sales taxes again! Even if I am making a profit Im not sure how anyone can think thats okay!

Taxation aftermarket aka private sale is double-dipping. They got paid; how about they utilize their budget better and eliminate the fat.
Or you can utilize the processes in place to deduct your purchase tax when and where appropriate. Ebay isn't going to put the process in place for you to indicate your initial purchase price and whether or not you paid tax and where.

Bottom line: this entire system is a consequence of many here and more elsewhere that are cheating - either unknowingly or dishonestly.

"But I'd pay my taxes if the government were more efficient!" State governments - the ones you are neglecting with sales tax - are typically very lean. If you don't like how things are running, get involved at a local level.

Or continue making excuses that help you feel justified and allow the matter to be taken out of your hands.

Just had to throw this out, in some cases theyre trying to triple dip! Someone paid sales tax on their item, it got donated to Goodwill and I paid taxes again on it, someone on Ebay from one of these states is gonna have to pay sales taxes again! Even if I am making a profit Im not sure how anyone can think thats okay!
The Goodwill donor was made whole through the donation credit. That's why you pay tax to Goodwill.

It should only apply to sealed products in the first place. How the fuck can they justify applying tax to anything sold used? Someone laready paid the fucking tax once there.

I mean, used games from Gamestop are taxed still.

But yea, it should have only applied to the people who don't pay taxes when purchasing. Not people selling the games they finished playing.

It's even more than triple-dipping. If the item now changes hands 10 times on eBay, the government will try to get their "cut" 10 times. It's why I'm glad I stopped selling on eBay and now sell exclusively on FB Marketplace and CL. There's no way in hell the government can rob me there.

Just tried to buy something on eBay and they tried to charge me tax. I closed my seller account on eBay, now the entire account joins it. It was eBay's job to fight this. They failed. eBay failed me for the last time.

Just tried to buy something on eBay and they tried to charge me tax. I closed my seller account on eBay, now the entire account joins it. It was eBay's job to fight this. They failed. eBay failed me for the last time.
At the very least, someone should be fighting the double/triple dipping tax of items that are used and someone already paid fucking tax on them before. I've never understood why they're trying to make every online seller report to every fucking state though. If I go to Texas, and buy something at Walmart, I pay the local Texas sales tax, not the tax wherever the fuck I live. The sites would have it so much simpler if they were only reporting to their own state/local and fed.

At the very least, someone should be fighting the double/triple dipping tax of items that are used and someone already paid fucking tax on them before. I've never understood why they're trying to make every online seller report to every fucking state though. If I go to Texas, and buy something at Walmart, I pay the local Texas sales tax, not the tax wherever the fuck I live. The sites would have it so much simpler if they were only reporting to their own state/local and fed.
They are reporting to the state/local of the buyer, not the seller.

Also, you can deduct sales tax paid to other states on your state income tax.

They are reporting to the state/local of the buyer, not the seller.

Also, you can deduct sales tax paid to other states on your state income tax.
That was my fucking point. It's overcomplicating it. The seller should only be obligated to collect the same tax for everyone. He's not moving. You're doing business with someone in Vegas, That's the tax you should pay. Same as if you went there physically. fuck where you live.

That was my fucking point. It's overcomplicating it. The seller should only be obligated to collect the same tax for everyone. He's not moving. You're doing business with someone in Vegas, That's the tax you should pay. Same as if you went there physically. fuck where you live.
You have no idea how taxes work or their intent. As a resident if a particular state, your sales tax should go to that state. Pretty simple.

You have no idea how taxes work or their intent. As a resident if a particular state, your sales tax should go to that state. Pretty simple.
fuck my state. If I'm shopping somewhere else physically, I pay the sale tax there. Online should be the same way. If I'm buying from a guy in Ohio on ebay, it should be no different than if I actually went there. That would keep things simple.

Sorry man but you have to suck it up. The states are powerful and they took this to the supreme Court. The people lost because they were represented by the people.

Did any of you ever sell a used car? Most states collect on those each time they're sold, and that's alot more money than most of the eBay items you're all arguing about.

I have never sold a used car but my dad has and has never mentioned charging tax for his used cars. I've bought a used car and it was a flat price the lady wanted....

Did any of you ever sell a used car? Most states collect on those each time they're sold, and that's alot more money than most of the eBay items you're all arguing about.
Private sale, don't have to report. Once a title is drawn up in a state, that's it for tax collection. You can transfer, gift, whatever you want and it's none of the state's damn business.

The title agency collects the tax when the title is transferred in Ohio (and other states). This is for private sales also, and there is no limit on this. What some people do (illegally, I'm sure) is report a much lower price on the title than what was actually paid for the car to reduce the tax bite.

I agree taxes are too high — I even write for a group in D.C. that advocates for lower taxes — but I’m not sure why any of you thought eBay wasn’t going to implement what is now federal law concerning the collection of internet sales taxes.

I agree taxes are too high — I even write for a group in D.C. that advocates for lower taxes — but I’m not sure why any of you thought eBay wasn’t going to implement what is now federal law concerning the collection of internet sales taxes.
How bout because Ebay isn't technically a store, nor is Paypal a fucking bank. Ebay facilitates private transactions, and Paypal is a middle man for transferring funds. I've always said it's bullshit they report seller earnings. If you don't withdraw it from Paypal, it should be the equivalent of store credit, and nobody in their right mind claims their trade-ins at Gamestop on their taxes.

How bout because Ebay isn't technically a store, nor is Paypal a fucking bank. Ebay facilitates private transactions, and Paypal is a middle man for transferring funds. I've always said it's bullshit they report seller earnings. If you don't withdraw it from Paypal, it should be the equivalent of store credit, and nobody in their right mind claims their trade-ins at Gamestop on their taxes.
I didn't see any of those arguments in his post. Take a breath and try to realize that people aren't attacking you.

To add to the sales tax discussion, it's annoying they are charging sales tax on non taxable items. I ordered 2 shirts and wasn't expecting to see sales tax added. In my state almost all clothes are non taxable. I realize it's not easy to have it set up for items not to be taxed when in each state it is different but other sites have it working correctly.

To add to the sales tax discussion, it's annoying they are charging sales tax on non taxable items. I ordered 2 shirts and wasn't expecting to see sales tax added. In my state almost all clothes are non taxable. I realize it's not easy to have it set up for items not to be taxed when in each state it is different but other sites have it working correctly.
That's another reason I keep saying the way it's being handled is ridiculous. It's absolutely ridiculous to expect everyone to account for every state's bullshit. If I go to a store in Texas, I pay Texas sales tax. Nice and simple. Why not do the same if I buy from an ebay seller in Texas? That's what people should be advocating. Simplicity in tax code.

Really Ebay? Really? They took down my Xbox with XBMC and 320GB hdd.... but they had no problem with my 360 with an XK3Y modchip in it and over 40 games on it.....

Guy just asked me why the speaker on my Talk Boy doesn't work.... idk but I mentioned that in the post.

Guy left neutral feedback because the package took 15 days to arrive.... yeah because I can control where the box goes after the post office takes it!

*shakes head*..... Ive had 2 people this week ask me if my Genesis bundle has all the wires included.........heres the post

"Sega Genesis Model 1, Tomee composite video cable, 3.5mm to red/white so you can get stereo sound, Sega brand ac adapter, 2 Sega brand 3 button controllers, Game-Toy Story. Everything was cleaned and tested, works great."

You're talking about a 30-year-old system. There are adults now who never used a composite cable. If you were buying an 8-track or LaserDisc player, would you be sure you knew what you needed to hook up the system?

bread's done
Back