The General eBay Rant Thread

"When Unpaid Item Assistant opens a case, the buyer has up to 4 days to pay. When they buyer pays for the item, the case closes automatically."

You can set it beyond four days, but you aren't able to make it less. That is why the buyer has up to 4 days.

Tiki is right, but I don't understand why he seems so pissed off.

How long do you guys usually let your auctions sit for? I find that my stuff gets bought faster if I put a lower time on it like 3 days instead of 7.

"When Unpaid Item Assistant opens a case, the buyer has up to 4 days to pay. When they buyer pays for the item, the case closes automatically."

You can set it beyond four days, but you aren't able to make it less. That is why the buyer has up to 4 days.

Four days to pay once an Unpaid case is opened. lmz said he has it set to auto-open an unpaid case after two days... nowhere did he say anything about having it closed in two days.

Tiki is the dipshit that fails at reading and comprehension. (and misplaced anger)

Four days to pay once an Unpaid case is opened. lmz said he has it set to auto-open an unpaid case after two days... nowhere did he say anything about having it closed in two days.

Tiki is the dipshit that fails at reading and comprehension. (and misplaced anger)
Oh - I misread what they were fighting about.

Back to the old eBay rants. Nothing really new to complain about - just the usual people. Multiple people asking what condition something is when it says brand new and sealed.

The buyer for my phone finally messaged me yesterday saying they would be paying by tonight.  I'm giving them until tonight and opening an unpaid item case.  It's been 4 days and my patience has run out.

UPDATE: And she finally paid! Praise Jeebus!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, this guy is still spamming my inbox asking me why he's blocked.
I'm surprised you didn't respond and take this time to teach the interested buyer a lesson.

"You have been blocked due to eBay identifying you as a person with too many unpaid notices. Other eBay sellers receive this list of identified buyers so I am not targeting you personally, it's just am auto filter eBay provides for all sellers. If you want to get off that list, be sure to come through on your end for future transactions as you have been limited by eBay for the time being."

To be honest with you, I wish I received his emails since I'm feeling salty and vindictive lately. I would say "eBay has identified you as a very questionable buyer due to your history. You've been put on a watch list to protect sellers so you'll need to come through on future transactions to be back to unrestricted status. As a seller it's annoying to deal with buyers that don't take care of their end of the bargain. Frankly, this block shouldn't surprise you. Goodbye."

Wow, TiK just flew off the handle.

Asking this here because I know we have people well versed with Paypal. I ordered something off a site awhile back and paid with Paypal for it. Long story short it was a jacket for work and I needed a size smaller but couldn't wait to do a switch so I bought the one I needed and made arrangements for a return, which I did. They said they would do the refund once they received the other coat, I pay shipping, fair enough. Well over a month passes, they received the thing within 2 days of me sending it and no return but I wait anyway as it says they may take up to 30 days. Last week I sent an email asking about its status at this point it's been one month and two weeks. I get a call today from a person from the company and they tell me I can receive the credit but I need to give them my card number. As anyone else does when they get someone wanting a cc number over the phone I'm like whaaat and tell the lady I paid via Paypal so I think the refund would be done that way (I've gotten refunds from other sites non-ebay no problem this way too) but she gives me some explanation that really doesn't make sense to me as this is my day off and she woke me up so I'm pretty groggy. I finally just ask her for a number I can call back later to give her my details since I'm not making some dumb decision to give her any info over the phone yet.

I intend to call back in a bit but any idea why she said the needed a card? I really don't think this is a scam as unless my email has been comprised no one would even know I've been trying to do this return/refund and if that's the case I have bigger problems since this is my main email where I have things tied to. So unless this is just a sketchy worker there who is trying to make a scam on the side when she's supposed to be doing customer service I don't know what I should do. I don't even know how that would work even if it's legitimate since I don't think cc's are like debits that you can put money/credit on them. This is a reputable company as my employment gets their clothing all the time (industrial coldwear jackets and crap like that) so I'm just confused. 

It is up to 4 days. You can set it lower than 4.

attachicon.gif
2.jpg
I can screenshot you mine and it's 4 days.

I know that lowest is damn days to auto open a case. Nowhere did I say about having it closed in 4 days . Maybe you should learn how to read . Seriously WHERE DID I MENTION ABOUT A CLOSED CASE, you're so pathetic go back to your amazon.

Don't even know why I'm responding to a guy that ships a game addressed to a fictional character then complains about it when he gets ripped off.

Spooge is the dipshit that fails at reading and comprehension. (and misplaced anger)

Cause I don't like that guy or this spoogespaz

Asking this here because I know we have people well versed with Paypal. I ordered something off a site awhile back and paid with Paypal for it. Long story short it was a jacket for work and I needed a size smaller but couldn't wait to do a switch so I bought the one I needed and made arrangements for a return, which I did. They said they would do the refund once they received the other coat, I pay shipping, fair enough. Well over a month passes, they received the thing within 2 days of me sending it and no return but I wait anyway as it says they may take up to 30 days. Last week I sent an email asking about its status at this point it's been one month and two weeks. I get a call today from a person from the company and they tell me I can receive the credit but I need to give them my card number. As anyone else does when they get someone wanting a cc number over the phone I'm like whaaat and tell the lady I paid via Paypal so I think the refund would be done that way (I've gotten refunds from other sites non-ebay no problem this way too) but she gives me some explanation that really doesn't make sense to me as this is my day off and she woke me up so I'm pretty groggy. I finally just ask her for a number I can call back later to give her my details since I'm not making some dumb decision to give her any info over the phone yet.

I intend to call back in a bit but any idea why she said the needed a card? I really don't think this is a scam as unless my email has been comprised no one would even know I've been trying to do this return/refund and if that's the case I have bigger problems since this is my main email where I have things tied to. So unless this is just a sketchy worker there who is trying to make a scam on the side when she's supposed to be doing customer service I don't know what I should do. I don't even know how that would work even if it's legitimate since I don't think cc's are like debits that you can put money/credit on them. This is a reputable company as my employment gets their clothing all the time (industrial coldwear jackets and crap like that) so I'm just confused.
You can refund a credit card just as easily as a debit card. The company I work for has to do manual refunds to credit cards when our machines sometimes screw up and double-charge someone. We don't do an actual return in this case, but we can swipe the card and process the refund, or we can type in the credit card number and expiration date to process it. Technically, they could probably refund your credit card in a similar fashion.

Yeah, I know but in this case I didn't think you could do that since I never paid with a credit card in this transaction as I used Paypal. So you can just give them a card and they can add the credit on it even if it wasn't the one used in the transaction? I'm still not a fan of that, especially since I know how easy PP is to use. For all this place knows I don't even own a credit card (since you don't need one to buy things on their site) so how would one get their credit then? Curious what they would do then for refunding since apparently PP can't be used.

Yeah, I know but in this case I didn't think you could do that since I never paid with a credit card in this transaction as I used Paypal. So you can just give them a card and they can add the credit on it even if it wasn't the one used in the transaction? I'm still not a fan of that, especially since I know how easy PP is to use. For all this place knows I don't even own a credit card (since you don't need one to buy things on their site) so how would one get their credit then? Curious what they would do then for refunding since apparently PP can't be used.
I'm not necessarily suggesting that you give them your CC info for the refund, just that it can be done. Our company's policy is to only refund the card that was originally used on a transaction. People sometimes try to use a different card, and while technically we could, we won't refund somebody that way.

I know all credit card machines are different, but for ours we can select manual refund, type in the card number and expiration date, put in the amount, and then authorize the refund.

I'm trying again today in a bit once my cell charges. How much risk is there if I gave them my PP card number? If it doesn't have a balance or insufficient balance when you pay for something I know it draws the remaining funds from your bank account so I'm not too keen on that either since mine is connected. Really I shouldn't be worrying about this but it just irritates me they won't refund it through PP and be done with it. I honestly think I'm just going to tell them they're going to have to or send me a check or something and lie about not having any credit cards so they can get off that venture. It's not like I'm running some kind of scam, they know my paying Paypal email address and it's the same one I'll request. Considering I never paid with one in the first place I don't see why they're pressing it and honestly if I was better on the phone I'd press them to refund my shipping too since it's almost been 2 months since I sent them the return and I know they got it the same damn week and if it wasn't for me finally contacting them the thing would never be processed.

I had a buyer leave a positive feedback just mintues after he bought one of my games, I guess he liked the price and listing enough to do so.  Never had that happen before...

I've had, always from people with like 1-10k feedback. I just think they don't care, and want to leave feedback before they will obviously lose track.

Does FedEx tend to treat packages better? I had someone open a case because the small speakers I sold them got damaged even though I packed them well. Did it through USPS. Second time I ever had an issue with a damaged item in the past few years. I may just stop with selling electronics as I don't really like eBay anymore. Craigslist is a better option for me now.

Does FedEx tend to treat packages better? I had someone open a case because the small speakers I sold them got damaged even though I packed them well. Did it through USPS. Second time I ever had an issue with a damaged item in the past few years. I may just stop with selling electronics as I don't really like eBay anymore. Craigslist is a better option for me now.
It's all down to the weakest link (aka the individual employee) in which carrier treats the packages better, so its hard to say who wins in that regard. Keep in mind that one of the biggest customers of FedEx is USPS (and vice versa for certain regions), so most first class / priority packages are handled by both anyways.

Yikes. Asked the guy to show me a pic of the damaged speakers and turns out the box was damaged in a few places as well. Wonder if I could be covered for insurance, though I doubt it.

I'm probably going to just give the guy a full refund and not have him ship it back since it will cost almost $20. I bought these speakers for $10 so I don't really care about the loss.

Yikes. Asked the guy to show me a pic of the damaged speakers and turns out the box was damaged in a few places as well. Wonder if I could be covered for insurance, though I doubt it.
Did you send it by Priority Mail? They have $50 of insurance built in ($100 for Commerical Basic/Plus USPS customers (i.e. Top Rated Seller accounts)).

If not then it's only covered if you paid for insurance

Ugh, just sold something on eBay and the buyer is so shady. An odd username that has seems to be a bunch of random letters, registered on the date of purchase, mismatched payer and receiver, payer has a last name similar to something you could find at a burger joint, and the buyer's e-mail seems to have absolutely no correlation to any given names. I know everyone starts somewhere, but this is a shady start. I've had some shady buyers before, but not to this extent.

Ugh, just sold something on eBay and the buyer is so shady. An odd username that has seems to be a bunch of random letters, registered on the date of purchase, mismatched payer and receiver, payer has a last name similar to something you could find at a burger joint, and the buyer's e-mail seems to have absolutely no correlation to any given names. I know everyone starts somewhere, but this is a shady start. I've had some shady buyers before, but not to this extent.
when you sign up ebay assigns you a username like that until you change it

How do reserves work for seller, never did them before and curiou? So if I do an auction and it doesn't sell I don't have to sell it is what eBay says BUT how's that last part work? What if they pay instantly/or I have it checked so they have to pay immediately (don't even know if you have that option for an auction for making them pay immediately on auctions)? Do I have to go through the refund process and explain that since I set a reserve I'm not selling it to them or does eBay automatically close the auction for me if the winning bidder didn't match my reserve? Also it says if the winner bidder EXCEEDS my reserve too so if it does close automatically for reserves not met does it do the same if someone goes over the reserve or no?

How do reserves work for seller, never did them before and curiou? So if I do an auction and it doesn't sell I don't have to sell it is what eBay says BUT how's that last part work? What if they pay instantly/or I have it checked so they have to pay immediately (don't even know if you have that option for an auction for making them pay immediately on auctions)? Do I have to go through the refund process and explain that since I set a reserve I'm not selling it to them or does eBay automatically close the auction for me if the winning bidder didn't match my reserve? Also it says if the winner bidder EXCEEDS my reserve too so if it does close automatically for reserves not met does it do the same if someone goes over the reserve or no?
Reserve is the minimum the auction will sell it. If bidding doesn't hit your reserve by the time it ends, it doesn't sell and bidding means nothing. Auto pay makes no difference; if the reserve isn't met, the item will not sell.

If bidding goes over the reserve, that means it will sell but the auction keeps going until the time runs out.

Sounds good. I always thought reserves were public so I never bothered with them. I've been burned on a few gambles where I ended up selling things at a loss so this seems like a good failsafe,

Sounds good. I always thought reserves were public so I never bothered with them. I've been burned on a few gambles where I ended up selling things at a loss so this seems like a good failsafe,
There is also a fee for using an auction reserve (I can't recall exactly, but I think it's $2), so it doesn't do you any good to put a reserve on somewhat low-priced item.

You're almost better off to just start an auction at or near your selling price just so that you get your selling price or it just ends and you can relist.

Ya, I just set the starting bid at the lowest I'd take for it. Never got the point of a reserve really when you can do that, I don't bid on items that have one unless its already over and I'm sure many others don't either.

Yeah, auctions with reserves were a waste of time when I first started buying on there years ago, and they haven't changed much since then.

I hate when I get messages from buyers about one of my games saying "Uh, you do know _____(game) is X amount of dollars at ____, right?"

Like I'm committing a crime for choosing the price I want to sell my item for. I just block people like that immediately. It's like they will be angry if I make money off a game that is cheaper or something.

ebay has been down for a lot of the day today and checking on twitter, a lot of people aren't able to log in and it's saying their accounts don't exist.

Same thing on my end. Very weird. I wonder if they offer something for the screw-up, but knowing them, probably now.

Had my Tales of Xillia 2 CE DLC voucher up on ebay, listed correctly as will ship the voucher, but removed as "beta software"

Says ebay does not allow betas or demos on ebay. Probably marked by the developer or publisher.

um... cool

Idiots can't tell the difference.

Digital codes aren't allowed on ebay in any form, unless you are the license holder. As in, if you published a book, you can sell digital copies of it on ebay.

That is not true. Per the policies, you can sell vouchers if they are in voucher form.

You aren't selling the code, you are selling the voucher with the code on it.\

But it doesn't matter. It wasn't removed for that reason anyway. it was removed and said "this is beta/test software" which it is not.

You can't. People just say that thinking it's allowed. There's no policy stating that you can sell digital codes as long as you ship the voucher. If it was the case, people would be selling redeemed vouchers, and there would be no repercussions, since they got the physical voucher. The code doesn't need to work now, does it.

Gonna have to deal with another dope.

Got a message yesterday that states:

For the following tracking number ......  I put the wrong ship to addresses. When the item is returned can you send to

......... I will pay additional shipping charges. thank you.

The problem is the item has been "delivered" for a few days now. It is only a 10 dollar item, but I really doubt it is coming back. I have to assume eBay will fall on my side of this, but I don't feel like dealing with the headache of the situation.

You can't. People just say that thinking it's allowed. There's no policy stating that you can sell digital codes as long as you ship the voucher. If it was the case, people would be selling redeemed vouchers, and there would be no repercussions, since they got the physical voucher. The code doesn't need to work now, does it.
I was told directly by multiple ebay CS reps on the phone that it is allowed if you sell it that way. I was even sent an email once explaining the policy, that stated as such.

The latter part you mention would also apply to selling an Xbox Live or PSN+ subscription if the code didn't work, though. So it doesn't just apply to DLC.

bread's done
Back