The General Gaming Thread with a fabulous and interesting title #16!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think instead of continuning Zelda I'm going to try and plow through the 4ish hours I have left of HL2: Ep2 after hearing it listed as some people's GOTY this year. Ep 1 was fun, but didn't really feel that much different from HL2 itself.

playing some o' dat Godhand and Resident Evil Code Veronica (Ps2.) Last gen is the new next gen!

[quote name='Chacrana']The demo was off tha chain

No srsly, it's nuckin' futz.[/quote]

It looks sweet I'll have to pick it up sometime next week. Thanks for the input man. :)

Spent three hours on Fire Emblem yesterday. Currently on part 3 of the game. Also played a little bit of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. Game is tough as hell.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Been playing nothing but Mass Effect since it came out. So good...[/QUOTE]

True that, I would love to get all 1000 on this game.

I could see my self playing though it 3 times.

I beat F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate a second ago. Here is my Brief review of it.

F.E.A.R is F.E.A.R, The gameplay and the graphics are pretty much the same as ever, and that means really good. Overall though the gameplay has been tightened up in PM and also seems to be faster then before, meaning you have to make many more split second descisions. The Graphics, well they look like the original but with some more impressive explosions effects. The only complaint I have about the graphics is that the FEAR engine doesn't do outside enviroments well and almost the entire first interval is outdoors and it looks horrible.

You no longer play as the Point Man, but instead the leader of another F.E.A.R that was sent in along side the Point Man. The whole game revisits points from the first game as well as Extraction Point. Overall though the story answers almost no questions but brings up tons of them. It also leaves serveral gaping plot holes behind.

But how scary is it? The first few levels aren't scary at all but around the 4 interval things start getting freaky and it never stops.

Overall F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate is a Roller Coaster ride that never stalls, if you liked F.E.A.R then you definately won't want to miss this one. However there is very little new in it, so if you weren't a fan before there will be little to woo you over.

EDIT:

I give it a 8 out of 10.

thanks for the review db

hopefully that witcher is waiting at my place when I get back. the guy said he sent it priority, but he sent it kinda late, so it probably got screwed up by thanksgiving.

Hmm... I like that review. IGN gave it a 5.9, but they bitched about things like "it's FEAR! I WANTED FEAR 2!!" Y'know... typical bitchy review. If it's actually good though, then hells yeah I'll pick it up.

[quote name='Chacrana']Hmm... I like that review. IGN gave it a 5.9, but they bitched about things like "it's FEAR! I WANTED FEAR 2!!" Y'know... typical bitchy review. If it's actually good though, then hells yeah I'll pick it up.[/quote]

Yeah I got worried when I saw that review, but yeah I thought it was pretty good.

Well how would you compare the quality of PM to FEAR and Extraction Point? I really liked both of those... the original FEAR was clearly the best tho.

Aaaaanyway, I just got back from Best Buy after using a $10 off coupon to secure... UNREAL TOURNAMENT III COLLECTOR'S EDITION.

Wheeeeeeeee. No, I was neva gonna buy the PS3 or AIDS 360 version.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well how would you compare the quality of PM to FEAR and Extraction Point? I really liked both of those... the original FEAR was clearly the best tho.

Aaaaanyway, I just got back from Best Buy after using a $10 off coupon to secure... UNREAL TOURNAMENT III COLLECTOR'S EDITION.

Wheeeeeeeee. No, I was neva gonna buy the PS3 or AIDS 360 version.[/quote]

Well IMO FEAR extraction point was the best in the series. PM was kinda interesting because from the start of the game thru the end of Interval 03 there is almost no paranormal activity, I mean a few scares but nothing much. However it is interesting because during those intervals you are generally fighting in a squad which is awesome. However once interval 4 starts the paranormal activity starts getting insane.

Overall I think PM was the worst in the series, however it is still really cool if you ask me. To me it goes:

1. FEAR EP
2. FEAR
3. FEAR PM

Finally was able to boot up Mass Effect. The combat seems a little sloppy, but I haven't put enough time into it to make that a definite claim.

The family has been huddle around the 360 playing Scene It and Rock Band.

So what was everyone's Black Friday Haul?

I just stuck to online and picked up Civil War, Def Jam Icon, the latest Tony Hawk. I picked up FEAR, two other copies of Civil War, and PGR 4 as Christmas gifts.

Well, regarding TMK getting banned... That sucks, but it must have been something noteworthy for it to happen... (I'm a mod for a lot of sites so I deal with that stuff often) :/

But hey.... While he's gone I might as well get my shots in...

PS3 SUCKS!

lololol.... J/K... *hugs both of my PS3s*

no black friday hauls for me, nothing of real interest.

played kane and lynch yesterday and I'm enjoying it, tonight I might play either stranglehold or clive barkers jericho, or maybe even start up the copy of viva pinata that's been sitting in my roomfor 2 weeks now.

or I may even buy a new wii game since I currently don't own any..... so many decisions.

Yeah, was it just me, or were the black friday deals fuckin' awful this year? I mean, Best Buy's featured $4.99 game was... Brunswick Pro Bowling? Blow me.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, was it just me, or were the black friday deals fuckin' awful this year? I mean, Best Buy's featured $4.99 game was... Brunswick Pro Bowling? Blow me.[/quote]

I agree, I really wanted to pick some thing up but there wasn't any good game deals.

I dunno, I have never bought anything on Black Friday in my life until today. 60% off Sixaxis, Wii's available, Office S2 for $13? Yes, please.

STP61158.jpg

Pretty awesome after using a 17' 4:3 monitor for so long, with black barred games and such. It's a step up.

Here's my Shepard

STP61166.jpg

I think I'll go get a $9.99 copy of Guild Wars...at least the part before going over the wall is good.

I got NBA Stereet Homecourt for free with the deal at Compusa after buying Assassin's Creed. Is that game any good? I liked the second and never got around to buying the third.

And TMK got banned? I hope he's not taking it too hard. :lol:

Black Friday wasn't a complete bust for me, I went out anyways hoping to find something interesting and I ended up with some Beef Jerky and a Pepsi for only $4. Sweet.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Wow is anyone else playing ANYTHING besides OMG MASS EFFECT MASS EFFECT... Blow me.[/quote]I played a lot today that wasn't Mass Effect. Zelda, HL2:Ep2, GH3, PH3. A pretty solidly lazy but fun day overall. :)

I didn't play any games today. Instead, I was hanging with mah niggaz, setting up Christmas stuff, and making final decisions on computer parts. Ordered the video card and mobo today, and I know what processor I want. Just dealing with sticker shock before I buy that.

Also, I have a renewed interest in STALKER. Man do I want to play that shit.

[quote name='daroga']I played a lot today that wasn't Mass Effect. Zelda, HL2:Ep2, GH3, PH3. A pretty solidly lazy but fun day overall. :)[/quote]

Nice man! Some great games and different genres as well! Finally someone that isn't posting about Mass Effect. ;) Don't get me wrong the game is okay, from what I played. I am just tired of hearing about it every fucking day. Whether it be on here at Cag, or at work, or at home with my bro playing it. It gets old and fast hearing about it every damn day. The hype that game gets is really ridiculous IMO, while other deserving games don't get the same kinda hype.

I played MASS EFFECT

And Played through my favorite Halo 3 level "The Covenant" on my new Monitor.. it looked great! Actually I play earthbound on PSP any chance I get and took down master belch today and helped ALL MR SATURNS KAY-O?

I almost bought stuntman, but I got my fun out of that game in the demo. GRAW 2 is pretty nifty though.

Just to make things even, I found a recipe for Assassin's Creed, it was spotted in Jade Raymond's garbage. 1 part prince of persia, 3 parts Spider man 3, a pinch of crackdown, and just a sprinkle of zelda bits- Blend for 20 hours and don't forget liberal application of the matrix. Serves 200k first month.

PS3 baking directions- Use half the ingredients, serve equal portions game- Add water/ cardboard grindings to quantity. Throw in microwave for 30 seconds. Serve.

Played a JRPG for most of the day today.

Damn that game is good. Played about 5 hours straight yesterday and I've just started playing for today. It's going to be a long night.
Persona 3 btw

I can see why you think that's GOTY Zewone if you still think it is.

I found something I didn't like in every game I played today!

Zelda: Needlessly long and slow intros
Half-Life 2: Ep 2: Ant Lions--namely
Acid-spewing ones
Guitar Hero 3: Hard mode
Phoenix Wright 3: Lying jerks

It was a good gaming day. I'm on chapter 3 (just at the start) of HL2 Ep2, and I've got to say the
Ant Lion assault
was more fun than most of Ep 1 combined I think. Just a well setup and executed part of the game. :) Valve really knows how to put an entertaining game together, and the port to the 360 worked very well.

It's too bad that EA is butchering it to be on the PS3. :p Lazy developing for the loss. No execuse for that, with the power of the PS3 and a full 2 months extra work time. At least Portal, the truly important part of the Orange Box, is fairing alright.

How will consoles get HL2: Ep3? I'm kinda hoping for a bundling of it with HL1 Source to have the complete HL collection in one place. Maybe with Counterstrike Source too? I'd really rather not just DLC it with the Orange Box.

I don't think it's fair to say "no excuses" to EA when it comes to porting titles to PS3. There are a number of other devs who are having problems working with Cell. It happens with new architectures that don't have a wide library of tools to make things easier to program for. You can't always slap code from one platform to another and expect it all to just work itself out.

Two months may seem like a lot of time to us, but in software development time it's not necessarily so.

Edit: well, as for HL:3, are they building the game from the ground up? If they build a new engine, it might not be console ready a la Crytek and Crysis, but I haven't heard anything about a new HL game, so I can't even speculate right now.

If anybody plays STALKER, definately install the "Realism Mod" and check the box that says 130% Damage to everyone(You and your enemies) That makes the game sooooo much better.

[quote name='gunm']I don't think it's fair to say "no excuses" to EA when it comes to porting titles to PS3. There are a number of other devs who are having problems working with Cell. It happens with new architectures that don't have a wide library of tools to make things easier to program for. You can't always slap code from one platform to another and expect it all to just work itself out.

Two months may seem like a lot of time to us, but in software development time it's not necessarily so.[/quote]Last year I'd have bought that. The system's been in consumer hands for more than a year now, and it's not like EA hasn't had some experience putting software out on the console. There's no excuse for it to run like it is--and if it doesn't get fixed, it shouldn't be released. That low of a frame rate for a 5 year old game on that power of hardware? Come on.

[quote name='gunm'] Edit: well, as for HL:3, are they building the game from the ground up? If they build a new engine, it might not be console ready a la Crytek and Crysis, but I haven't heard anything about a new HL game, so I can't even speculate right now.[/quote]No, it's still going to be Half-Life 2: Episode 3, so it'll likely be ready to hit consoles (well, at least the 360) with the PC version. Of course, by the time Valve releases that it might be in the NEXT generation of consoles. ;)

Played more Bioshock last night. I'm really getting more and more absorbed into the story, and the art style continues to amaze me. I'm playing in
Arcadia
right now, and I especially love the world here, with the
trees and other greenery, and now that the gas has been let in the world, how it all looks so dead. The Houdini Splicers also gave me a good scare, especially when coupled with the music (and the fact I was playing in the dark at 1 a.m.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Wow is anyone else playing ANYTHING besides OMG MASS EFFECT MASS EFFECT... Blow me.[/QUOTE]
Too cool for fucking school, right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back