The Great Muta's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow he was spot on.. i had no idea that happenned

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck you vince... jesus christ another "ecw" wrestler gone...

whatever the fucked him up since the beginning with that stupid theme.. atleast he will be in svr

hopefully monty will be back in tna

the tna shots look bad ass.. then again so did early wcw nitro shots

[quote name='Midnite']The McGuinness vs Danielson match is probably the best match I've ever seen live. Can't wait to see the PPV, damn DirecTV, thank god my friends have Comcast.[/quote]

Hear that Myke? Don't YOU have friends? :D

[quote name='Zen Davis']Was it just pix? No hands-on preview?[/QUOTE]

While I'm thinking about it (just read the article, before I had just looked at pics), Jeff Jarrett and Sting were also in the pics.

The didn't really get into gameplay specifics. They mentioned that AJ and Joe are working with the programmers because they're both huge videogame fans (dorks) and that it has an arcade-y feel.

I suppose it won't be the second coming of King of Colosseum II that I was hoping for.

Still, it is gorgeous. It's tough to call anything photorealistic but in one of the pics Christian looks, well, nearly photorealistic.

That's what I'm worried about.

Then again, I'd rather see them try something new and totally screw it up than just make a copy of SvR with different wrestlers.

[quote name='Halo05']While I'm thinking about it (just read the article, before I had just looked at pics), Jeff Jarrett and Sting were also in the pics.

The didn't really get into gameplay specifics. They mentioned that AJ and Joe are working with the programmers because they're both huge videogame fans (dorks) and that it has an arcade-y feel.

I suppose it won't be the second coming of King of Colosseum II that I was hoping for.

Still, it is gorgeous. It's tough to call anything photorealistic but in one of the pics Christian looks, well, nearly photorealistic.[/quote]

My hopes died when I saw 3 or 4 different wrestlers using the torture rack in the pictures. :cry:

I wish they would have let AKI develop the game instead of switching to Midway Chicago.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Hear that Myke? Don't YOU have friends? :D[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, I can probably pay for the PPV in the form of a 12 pack of High Life. Better than $10, even!

[quote name='mykevermin']Now that you mention it, I can probably pay for the PPV in the form of a 12 pack of High Life. Better than $10, even![/quote]

There you go!

[quote name='guyver2077']when is that ppv airing?[/quote] ROH "Driven" will debut on pay-per-view this Friday, September 21st, on The DISH Network and TVN cable systems. Check your local listings for channel and price. You will not get this much great, athletic wrestling for such an affordable price from any other form of combat on PPV. "Driven" will debut on iN DEMAND on September 28th.

In Demand Showtimes
Sep 28
10:00PM

Sep 30
8:00PM

Oct 1
5:00PM
8:00PM

Oct 2
10:00AM

Oct 3
6:00PM

Oct 4
11:00AM

Oct 6
11:30AM
7:30PM

Oct 7

Oct 9
9:00AM

Oct 10
12:00PM

Oct 10
3:00PM

Oct 11

Oct 14
7:00PM

Oct 20
2:00PM
9:00PM

Oct 21
7:00AM

Oct 22

Oct 24
12:00PM

Oct 27
10:00AM

Here's the interview on GI's unlimited section(have to be a subscriber to the mag to get access to it). Since I am, I just copied & pasted the story so everyone could look at it.

Not much, but does tell some of the matches for the game.

Midway Los Angeles Studio Head Scot Lane reveals what will separate TNA Impact from the other grapplers.

Game Informer: Could you talk a little bit about the TNA league and what you think makes it different from the other wrestling leagues?
Scot Lane: TNA is much more acrobatic than any league I have seen. These guys are true athletes. To me, the Ultimate X matches really set them apart. Basically, there are ropes around 15 feet above the ring with a belt hanging in the middle. The first guy to climb up and get the belt wins, but it is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. I’ve seen these guys fall and land on their back, it looks real painful. You also have to be agile to get up there and get to the belt. It is really worth watching.

GI: We’ve heard that some of the real wrestlers have been consulted for the game. How have they been helpful to the development process?
Lane: We have met with a lot of the wrestlers, but Samoa Joe and AJ Styles have been in on the most meetings. First and foremost, these guys are gamers so they really understand games and they know what the real fan base wants to see in a game. They have contributed in many areas; the nuances between U.S., Japan, Europe, the pacing of the game, moves they think will translate to video games (they have also been in many mocap sessions as have several other TNA Wrestlers), controls, and a lot more. They have been really involved and are awesome to work with!

GI: Are there any aspects specific to the league that you think will translate well into a game?
Lane: Oh Yeah, like I mentioned earlier – the Ultimate X is specific to the league. We’ll also have other TNA match types, a lot of their wrestlers, finishing moves. Our goal is to give the fan base the game they want – TNA Impact Wrestling!

GI: How is TNA going to be different from the other wrestling titles out there?
Lane: Our primary focus is on gameplay and our goal is to have the smoothest, most responsive gameplay in the genre. We are running at 60fps and the game already feels great. We have two of the best combat guys in the business in Mark Turmell and Sal DiVita and these guys love wrestling.

GI: We also know that you have several people in development with an arcade background. Does this mean you are going for a more arcady play style?
Lane: There will be some arcade elements, but we are making a Next-Gen console game. Mark and Sal bring an attention to detail and a focus on “feel” that has remnants of the arcade days with a modern edge. They really focus on moment to moment gameplay and the subtleties of combat. Our team is so excited to get the game in people’s hands.

GI: What do you feel is the most exciting aspect of the gameplay?
Lane: This is a real tough question, because it is difficult to break it down to one aspect. Right now, we are working on reversals, so as of today I would be leaning toward that. It is super cool to get into a reversal battle with your buddy. Overall, we just love the combat feel and responsiveness. It’s also pretty cool pulling off a Canadian Destroyer to finish off a match, blasting someone with a chair, drop kicking someone off a turnbuckle. The list goes on and on.

GI: Crowds are an important part of wrestling; will TNA’s be distinctive in any way?
Lane: Absolutely, we have put a lot of work into our crowd. Our goal is to create an environment (including crowd) that feels like TNA. We are also focusing on making the crowds distinctive when you are in Japan, England or any different arenas. This is one of the things that Joe and AJ where very passionate about.

GI: Character creation is also a long-standing tradition in wrestling games; will TNA have a character creation system? If so, can you talk about it? If not, why?
Lane: We will definitely have character creation. This is another big feature. I can’t give away too many details yet, as it is in development but we want to give people a lot of flexibility in creating their character.

GI: TNA has a six-sided ring, does this change elements in the gameplay in any way?
Lane: Yeah, it speeds things up. More ropes and turnbuckles equal more angles in which to Irish-whip someone. Also, it means the ropes are much tighter so guys can walk on the ropes and do lots of cool spring moves off the ropes. The six-sided ring gives us a lot of flexibility to get exciting moves into the game.

GI: Can you talk a little about multiplayer or online?
Lane: It is pretty early but we will have both. As far as multiplayer, we will have lots of options; Tag team, fatal four way, Ultimate X, King of the Mountain and many more. We want to give lots of options so you can jump in and play against a friend or get online and test your skills against other fans.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Here's the interview on GI's unlimited section(have to be a subscriber to the mag to get access to it). Since I am, I just copied & pasted the story so everyone could look at it.

Not much, but does tell some of the matches for the game.[/quote]

Thank you!

Interview with Ken Gelman, the guy who got ROH on PPV.

Ken Gelman is a successful marketer who was integral in helping Ring of Honor get to Pay Per View. He has spent 15 years in this field, working most recently with WWE in helping the company maximize its revenues and winning multiple awards in the process. From there he turned his golden touch to ROH and helped them reach the new heights of a Pay Per View and On Demand deal. With ROH's second Pay Per View, Driven, debuting tomorrow on DISH Network and TVN and next week for InDemand customers, Pulse Wrestling had a chance to sit down with Mr. Gelman.

image44411.jpg
Pulse Wrestling: As (a) a businessman and (b) a fan, what about Ring of Honor first caught your attention that distinguishes itself from the competition?

Ken Gelman: As a businessman, the equation was simple for me. Do they have a quality product that is viable beyond their current scope and do they have people running the organization that are passionate and honorable? The answers were and are an emphatic "yes" to both questions. Never in my career have I worked with better human beings. From top to bottom, it's a first class organization all the way. It especially starts at the top with Cary Silkin and Sydney Eick. Beyond Cary and Syd, from Gabe, Ross and the rest of the team, right on through to the guys and gals in the locker room, working with ROH has represented a dream come true for me. And as a fan, seeing an ROH live event for the first time some months ago, it took me about 30-seconds to see that this product is the best thing going in the ring sports genre today—bar none.

PW: That's high praise considered the company you were last associated with. How do you feel about the recent negative attention pro wrestling has been getting in the mainstream media?

KG: Mostly sad. I know what a great business this is but unfortunately, there are negative aspects. The shame of it is that 9 times out of 10, the mainstream media have little to no idea what they are talking about when it comes to professional wrestling and the issues, so they inevitably turn to the lowest common denominator and go with sensationalism over substance.

PW: How will you measure "success" of Ring of Honor on PPV?

KG: For ROH as an organization, this platform is about exposing this high quality product to the masses. We view the success of this venture based on how we are able grow the audience and ultimately how we are able to move the brand forward. The numbers and buy-rates by themselves will not be the singular barometer. How this company and brand move forward will determine if we will become ultimately successful with this venture.

PW: In order to grow the brand, more outlets would doubtlessly be beneficial. Where do things stand with getting Ring of Honor on DIRECTV?

KG: We are currently engaged in negotiations with DIRECTV. Our discussions have been ongoing for some time. We are optimistic we will be able to provide DIRECTV subscribers with the same high-quality programming we are offering through our current PPV and VOD partners now, in the near future. With that said, as of today a deal is not imminent.

PW: Since you're a long time fan, who was your favorite wrestler growing up?

KG: I started watching WWF as a kid in the late 70's and remember Bob Backlund as my first favorite. He was quickly replaced by Sgt. Slaughter, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, Roddy Piper and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. Dragon's match at WrestleMania III remains my favorite all-time match to this day.

Did Spike screw-up last night? They had graphics during Impact saying that next week is a 2 hour show. I thought it wasn't for another 2 weeks that it went to 2 hours?

[quote name='guyver2077']sal divita? o fucking great... the fucking nba jam team? there goes my hopes of having another realistic wrestling game[/quote]

Don't forget he also worked on WrestleMania: The Arcade Game. My hopes just hit rock bottom for the TNA game after I read Divita is working on it.

[quote name='RawisJericho']Don't forget he also worked on WrestleMania: The Arcade Game. My hopes just hit rock bottom for the TNA game after I read Divita is working on it.[/quote]

I want to give it the benefit of a doubt. I'm not expecting anything terribly deep but SvR has gotten too sim-ish for my tastes. I welcome this.

haha.. yea i also got extremely turned off by divita's involvement..

fucking midway.. why couldnt they just have gotten aki..

the moves better not be like mortal kombat (even though i love mk) and wrestlemania

TNA used to have a 4-sided ring, right? That'd be cool if you could choose between different ring types in the match options.

I find it frustrating that WWF Attitude, of all things, still has the best system for setting up match options. You would select between a number of different win conditions, and then you could mess around with rule modifiers to make up all sorts of weird matches. It was really open ended. Much better than the pre-defined match types in later WWE games (it still pisses me off that you can't disable "Falls Count Anywhere" in a Cell Match).

[quote name='guyver2077']haha.. yea i also got extremely turned off by divita's involvement..

fucking midway.. why couldnt they just have gotten aki..

the moves better not be like mortal kombat (even though i love mk) and wrestlemania[/quote]

The thing that really pisses me off is that AKI was working on the game at the beginning. Then Midway got smart and decided to have Midway Chicago work on it.

Got this from an e-mail newletter I get. If it's true, would be a good move by Vince.

In the wake of the Chris Benoit killings the WWE is
sending out letters to former employees offering to pay for
any kind of treatment they require for substance abuse.
We're told the letters were hand signed by Vince McMahon.
Here is what we believe to be a transcript of what the company
is sending out:

"Over the last ten years, an inordinate number of wrestlers
have passed away. Some of those deaths may in part have
been caused by drugs and alcohol. In an effort to prevent such
tragedies in the future, the WWE is willing to pay for drug
and/or alcohol rehabilitation at a certified treatment chosen by
WWE for any performer with a prior WWE booking contract
who may need this service. The WWE will pay for this service
in full.

There is no cost to you or your family. Help will be provided
regardless of the circumstances of your departure from the
WWF or the amount of time you performed for the WWE.
If you do not have a drug and/or alcohol problem, but know
you know a former WWE performer who does, we are asking
you to try to help them by encouraging them to take advantage
of this opportunity. Liz Difabio has been appointed as a
representative in this matter. Liz has been with the company
for over 24 years and has been directly involved with the majority
of WWE performers who have received treatment for substance
abuse. She understands emotions that individuals and family
members go through in this process. Any conversation you have
with Liz will remain confidential and will not be released to the
public. In many instances, an individual in need of help is in
denial and will not want rehabilitation. There are professional
intervention companies that will help persuade that person that
they need treatment. Liz will be able to facilitate such interventions,
should they be necessary. An intervention and treatment will be
at the cost of WWE exclusively.

This service is being provided for performers with a prior
WWE booking contract only. No family or friends. Please reach
out to Liz if you think you might have a drug or alcohol problem
or if you know someone who does. We all need to do anything
we can to help prevent another tragedy. Sincerely, Vincent K.
McMahon. Chairman, World Wrestling Entertainment"

[quote name='BustaUppa']TNA used to have a 4-sided ring, right? That'd be cool if you could choose between different ring types in the match options.

I find it frustrating that WWF Attitude, of all things, still has the best system for setting up match options. You would select between a number of different win conditions, and then you could mess around with rule modifiers to make up all sorts of weird matches. It was really open ended. Much better than the pre-defined match types in later WWE games (it still pisses me off that you can't disable "Falls Count Anywhere" in a Cell Match).[/quote]

But the gameplay was piss poor. Like so so piss poor.

[quote name='Zen Davis']But the gameplay was piss poor. Like so so piss poor.[/QUOTE]My point exactly! It was such a waste. I'd love to see a better game get the same versatility in match parameters that Attitude had.

[quote name='mykevermin']Y'gotta admit, those character models make Smackdown vs. Raw look pathetic by comparison.[/quote]

Oh definitely. I imagine SvR 2009 to be completely overhauled graphically. I hope the animation on TNA Impact is top notch because the SvR 2008 cast move like robots.

[quote name='mykevermin']Y'gotta admit, those character models make Smackdown vs. Raw look pathetic by comparison.[/quote]

Indeed, the WWE games character models look too shiney, and everyone seems to have a perfect 6-pack, the wrestlers pretty much look more like their action figures than themselves.

The textures are more "imperfect," making them look more realistic, as you point out, they have their real bodies, and not some bullshit no-love handle substitute a phony-lookin' six-pack torso. The lighting looks very natural as well; check out Sting holding up JJ in the :lol: torture rack.

[quote name='mykevermin']The textures are more "imperfect," making them look more realistic, as you point out, they have their real bodies, and not some bullshit no-love handle substitute a phony-lookin' six-pack torso. The lighting looks very natural as well; check out Sting holding up JJ in the :lol: torture rack.[/quote]
The problem is that they all still have the 1000 yard stare. Like they're dreaming of a time long ago when they survived and their comrades did not through World War 3.

[quote name='guyver2077']whats the deal with this whole wedding thing..im watching it now[/quote]

After reading the spoilers I'd say you're going to be very disappointed. In the word(s) of the Sheik "WORSE" than Kane and Lita's wedding.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']After reading the spoilers I'd say you're going to be very disappointed. In the word(s) of the Sheik "WORSE" than Kane and Lita's wedding.[/quote]

yea just finished watching it.. how stupid.. the suprise guest was cool though...

atleast the edge wedding had the hardy tease

[quote name='guyver2077']yea just finished watching it.. how stupid.. the suprise guest was cool though...

atleast the edge wedding had the hardy tease[/quote]

Yes, but it didn't have Hardy show up. The writers dropped the ball on that big time. Had Matt showed up it would've generated a crazy buzz. Instead they keep his return a secret and have him pop up backstage attacking people. Leading to me turning to my friend and saying... that wasn't Matt Hardy was it? Man that could've been such a killer storyline.

Best Buy had the whole "preorder now, get a demo of Smackdown vs. Raw 08!"

..I caved. Sorry if any of this has been posted before, i've been avoiding coverage.

The main menu music seems to be entrance themes instead of shitty band songs.. Playable characters in the demo: Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, Lashley, Undertaker. Arenas: Raw, Smackdown, ECW. Match types: Normal, Hardcore.

Crowd cheering/booing actually, and FINALLY sometimes drowns out the music a little bit.

First match: Orton vs. Mysterio at ECW. Ring announcer (Is his name Justin Roberts or something?) sucks. Nice touch: During Orton's entrance, they showed me (Ray), at ringside getting pumped.

Dirty tactic: Use the ref as a shield.. hit A, then hit A again to shove him at your opponent.

Left bumper runs. You can run around in any direction at any time. You can run in circles if you want. Awesome.

I hope this means we'll see a demo on XBLA soon.

I wanted to buy the PS3 version, but after seeing the lopsided "console exclusives," and that the 360 version had custom entrance themes, there was no question which one I wanted.

Did you see what "bonus" the PS3 has that the 360 doesn't? If you hold down L1 or R1 or something during a wrestler's entrance, you get to see the entrance from their perspective? Whoopie fuckin' doo, man. :roll:

I would have preferred to see exclusive superstars. Give the PS3/360/Wii each a legend. That'll sucker in the hardcore types, and not create such a lopsided experience. I have a feeling the 360 version will outsell the other 2 versions 7-to-1 (the 1 being the combined PS3/Wi sales).

Any word on DLC wrestlers?

Yep, I have heard that there are DLC wrestlers.. for PS3 only. So there's the exclusive features, I guess. PS3 gets first person and DLC, 360 gets custom sountracks.

I like how wrestler's theme music is the main menu music. Good touch. I've heard Triple H and Sandman so far. You can have a manager come out with you in exhibition. If your opponent is down in the corner and you have a chair, you can run and hit the attack button and it'll do a dropkick with the chair.

Man, the new free run system is great. Took some getting used to, but the ability to run in any direction makes it feel much better.

Sounds much improved. Thanks for the input.

DLC for PS3 only? Hmm. Crap. Could be a double-edged sword. I don't want to sacrifice custom themes, a "free" inclusion I've wanted for ages (but was only implemented in the shit-ass Xbox 1 games), for the chance at DLC which is, in all likelihood, overpriced (fuck you, $5 for Kevin Thorn!), and full of wrestlers I wouldn't be interested in (OMG MATT STRIKER IS ON PS3 ONLY!).

Custom themes it is. And, of course, since liongames had it so frickin' cheap.

That picture still cracks me up. I loved the T-shirt someone shopped where it listed the legends killed and it had "holiday inn" as one of them.

1190231681120hm1.gif

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That picture still cracks me up. I loved the T-shirt someone shopped where it listed the legends killed and it had "holiday inn" as one of them.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back