The Guild Wars/2 Topic *Its Out All the Way Now!*

Perhaps proof of another incoming stress test (if you're a wishful kind of thinker), a fairly small update is available for the client. UPDATE NOW!

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']A look at the "Professions" page on the GW2 Wiki would do you a TON of good. 20 minutes there and another hour or so looking at specific weapons/video of weapons in use and you'll have a basic understanding of some things.[/QUOTE]
I was looking at the page and thief sounded closest to my style of play, but I've been burned bad in other games with horribly unbalanced classes that no amount of skill could fix. I just want a class that in the right hands will dominate. Traditionally, caster type classes are pretty much faceroll in every MMO I've ever played, so I like PKing them to knock them down a peg. I'll probably just stick with thief since I like to backstab people and then vanish into a sea of their tears.

Oh, and I am a terrible person to play with. . .if you're red. :twisted:

Again dude, there's no such thing as PKing in GW, neither 1 or 2. There are separate instances for PvE and PvP, so it isn't like you can sneak up and gank some unknowing noob who's just standing there, or get someone to rage quit. Sad to hear that's how you get your rocks off, but glad to know you won't find GW to your liking because of it.

Yeah, you can go stealth, but it is short lasting and they will already know you are in the vicinity. And no serious PvPers are going to be alone, so as soon as you attack you'll be ganked by the rest of the party. Your gameplay preference doesn't exist in either GW game, run along to whatever trashy and cheesy MMO you normally play.

[quote name='Jodou']I was looking at the page and thief sounded closest to my style of play, but I've been burned bad in other games with horribly unbalanced classes that no amount of skill could fix. I just want a class that in the right hands will dominate. Traditionally, caster type classes are pretty much faceroll in every MMO I've ever played, so I like PKing them to knock them down a peg. I'll probably just stick with thief since I like to backstab people and then vanish into a sea of their tears.

Oh, and I am a terrible person to play with. . .if you're red. :twisted:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't like those unbalanced classes either. Fortunately the casters like Elementalists and Mesmers are quite vulnerable, especially the Elementalist. Both have light armor and the Ele just seems to be getting worse and worse during every stress test/beta, etc. The Mesmer looks good with their condition damage, but I haven't tried them out personally yet.

I'm gonna be on Crystal Desert with a buddy or two from work if anyone plans on playing on that server as well.

I've only tried Thief, Hunter, Necromancer since I haven't had a lot of time when they ran the betas but I enjoyed all of the classes, may roll a Warrior since I'm hearing great things and haven't tried one yet.

Regarding PVP, people are saying how great a PVP game this is because the PVP, on paper at least because the game isn't out yet, is balanced. There's no gay resilience that automatically makes you better at PVP than someone without, in the battlegrounds everyone(unless it's been changed since the very first beta) has the same gear based on class, the same quality gear, and everyone is leveled to the highest level and has available the highest level skills for their class. You don't have to grind to anything to be viable in PVP, that alone in my opinion makes it superior to WoW.

If anyone wants a FREE Tormented Weapon to add to HoM, then do all 4 of the Wayfarer's Reverie quests in GW1. Ends on August 30th.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wayfarer's_Reverie
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Reverie_Gift
Note: The quest reward is 1 per account, not per character. Also the Tormented Weapon is character bound when opening Reverie Gift so you can't sell it.

Anyhow, I'm now at 27 poiints in HoM. Not even sure if it's worth it to get to 30. All I really need left is a Destroyer weapon, Oppressor weapon, and get the mats for Vabbian armor. With everyone else trying to finish HoM, finding people to sell Destroyer/Oppressor weapons is difficult. Tried a few hours yesterday and today with no luck.

Oppressor weapon you can basically get for free if you do the whole War In Kryta series of quests. In fact I think you get enough to get almost 2. And with the cash you make you can buy mats for a destroyer wpn if needed.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']If anyone wants a FREE Tormented Weapon to add to HoM, then do all 4 of the Wayfarer's Reverie quests in GW1. Ends on August 30th.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wayfarer's_Reverie
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Reverie_Gift
Note: The quest reward is 1 per account, not per character. Also the Tormented Weapon is character bound when opening Reverie Gift so you can't sell it.

Anyhow, I'm now at 27 poiints in HoM. Not even sure if it's worth it to get to 30. All I really need left is a Destroyer weapon, Oppressor weapon, and get the mats for Vabbian armor. With everyone else trying to finish HoM, finding people to sell Destroyer/Oppressor weapons is difficult. Tried a few hours yesterday and today with no luck.[/QUOTE]
Nice. Going to hit this up for the nostalgia factor.

I was at 27, and needed one oppressor wep and some money for armor. I ended up going through WoK and barely got enough for two oppressor weapons. Sold one and used one for the HoM and got to 30.

There seems to be another update through the launcher....about 475 mb or so.

edit: someone else already posted about the stress test....DERP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='newtype06']Desperately looking for a deal for this game... sadly I couldn't find any :([/QUOTE]

The only deal i know thats still going on is the Amazon one....$5 gaming credit + 3 day headstart access.

[quote name='newtype06']Desperately looking for a deal for this game... sadly I couldn't find any :([/QUOTE]

You're gonna have a hard time, its a MMO without a monthly sub, so they are counting on the $60 buy in and the POSSIBILITY of micro transactions from you

Green Man Gaming has a 20% off coupon right now I think

I got it for 20% off about a month ago with the last sale, made it $48.

Green Man Gaming, Gamefly and Newegg have all had deals very recently. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think Newegg is selling it for $49.99 right now.

Man, I never really got far in the first game but I still want to pick up the second one as I have a few friends who will be getting it and I played in one of the betas. I'll most likely be a Sylvari Necromancer at first. lol I looked at the Hall of Monuments and I'm at a whole 7 points! I'm playing a bit of the first one now but I'll be lucky if I even get a couple of extra points at all.

OK, I pre-ordered the game over at Newegg with the $12 off coupon code. $48 seems like the cheapest deal I could find even when compared to past promotions.

Curious though -- has anybody pre-ordered over there as well and has access to the 3 day early access thingy?

[quote name='MoCiWe']Man, I never really got far in the first game but I still want to pick up the second one as I have a few friends who will be getting it and I played in one of the betas. I'll most likely be a Sylvari Necromancer at first. lol I looked at the Hall of Monuments and I'm at a whole 7 points! I'm playing a bit of the first one now but I'll be lucky if I even get a couple of extra points at all.[/QUOTE]

If you pull up the calculator, there are a decent number of easy things you can do. I'd say you could probably get to 10-15 before launch day. Check all your character inventories for birthday gifts for minis. Then pets/heroes. Then titles or weapons seems the be the easiest. Just playing through all the campaigns will net you a few points. And with all the drops and bonuses going on now, really easy to max a bunch of titles quick.

[quote name='newtype06']OK, I pre-ordered the game over at Newegg with the $12 off coupon code. $48 seems like the cheapest deal I could find even when compared to past promotions.

Curious though -- has anybody pre-ordered over there as well and has access to the 3 day early access thingy?[/QUOTE]

Pre-order is not the same as pre-purchase. A pre-order you can cancel up until it ships, a pre-purchase your money is gone and they give you a game code immediately. Pre-purchase gets a 3 day headstart. Pre-order I think only gets a 1 day head start, assuming your game shows up in time.

So I caught the end of the stress test for about an hour or two just checking out the WvW and to me it just feels like Warhammer 2.0. Not in a literal sense, but just oh so familiar and zergy. I just headed towards the sounds of nerds clashing and found a large group of friendly players smashing everything red in their path. Then, just like in Warhammer, we'd start chasing after another group of players in windmill fashion of turning bases over. Not hating on the game, but I just wasn't that impressed.

Playing the thief didn't feel very unique either, but then again I was level 2 the whole time I PvP'd. Just seemed like I had three abilities including steal, some sort of leaping strike, shadow shot, and all three did the exact same thing: leap to the target, do some damage. It just failed to be very engaging at all because I wasn't finding any variety in how to attack people. I didn't notice any sort of CC ability tied to each either, so it felt like I was just pushing buttons to push buttons. Again, very low level but failed to impress.

Also, is there a bug right now where when you use a shadowstep-like ability that all players just vanish and slowly spawn back in again? I had another issue where I'd use the same abilities and get ported to a nearby town instead rofl. VERY buggy and this comes out Saturday? Embarrassing.

I'd still like to give it more time seeing as I get three free days, but early impressions are that this is another game built for the zerg guilds to dominate. I already hate the concept of forcing everyone to PvP in PvP areas, because that just allows the carebears to hide in PvE zones. I like ganking and being ganked unexpectedly because it sharpens your skills to always be on guard. Without any risk, PvE is incredibly boring as well. I sound like an old man, but back in my day there were no PvE servers -- every server was PvP period.

Is there an incentive in getting the standard boxed version? I mean, aside from the case and possibly a manual -- do you believe there's anything else inside? I'm actually considering canceling my Newegg order and opt for the Amazon digital one instead since I have GCs to spare.

i would assume you get a disc with the client on it too. save some dl time if you're like one of my friends and it would literally take you a week to dl 10gb.

[quote name='newtype06']Is there an incentive in getting the standard boxed version? I mean, aside from the case and possibly a manual -- do you believe there's anything else inside? I'm actually considering canceling my Newegg order and opt for the Amazon digital one instead since I have GCs to spare.[/QUOTE]

At best their might be a folded paper map. That's what was in Nightfall and Factions box.

EOTN maybe had a map too, but I bought the digital.

If you want to pay less, go Amazon. The game won't care.

[quote name='Jodou']So I caught the end of the stress test for about an hour or two just checking out the WvW and to me it just feels like Warhammer 2.0. Not in a literal sense, but just oh so familiar and zergy. I just headed towards the sounds of nerds clashing and found a large group of friendly players smashing everything red in their path. Then, just like in Warhammer, we'd start chasing after another group of players in windmill fashion of turning bases over. Not hating on the game, but I just wasn't that impressed.

Playing the thief didn't feel very unique either, but then again I was level 2 the whole time I PvP'd. Just seemed like I had three abilities including steal, some sort of leaping strike, shadow shot, and all three did the exact same thing: leap to the target, do some damage. It just failed to be very engaging at all because I wasn't finding any variety in how to attack people. I didn't notice any sort of CC ability tied to each either, so it felt like I was just pushing buttons to push buttons. Again, very low level but failed to impress.

Also, is there a bug right now where when you use a shadowstep-like ability that all players just vanish and slowly spawn back in again? I had another issue where I'd use the same abilities and get ported to a nearby town instead rofl. VERY buggy and this comes out Saturday? Embarrassing.

I'd still like to give it more time seeing as I get three free days, but early impressions are that this is another game built for the zerg guilds to dominate. I already hate the concept of forcing everyone to PvP in PvP areas, because that just allows the carebears to hide in PvE zones. I like ganking and being ganked unexpectedly because it sharpens your skills to always be on guard. Without any risk, PvE is incredibly boring as well. I sound like an old man, but back in my day there were no PvE servers -- every server was PvP period.[/QUOTE]

You don't have enough experience or know-how of the professions to get a sense of how to effectively use them and make them truly unique. Every class is unique is some form and the Thief especially has a lot of interesting dynamics to it, you just need to learn them. It is a lot more then just shadowstepping everywhere.

I would agree with the whole zerg thing though. I'll give it some...well, give...just because it is a stress test and few people are putting real effort into anything. More strategy will come when real guilds are going to be in PvP. WvW will have a lot more strategy as well. For the stress tests though I assume people were just zerging all over the place because most of them had a Warrior or Guardian and just wanted to get into the action.

P.S. I wouldn't judge a game off of 1-2 hours of gameplay. It takes a hell of a lot longer then that to get any moderate understanding of the aspects of the game, particularly the combat and what is effective.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']You don't have enough experience or know-how of the professions to get a sense of how to effectively use them and make them truly unique. Every class is unique is some form and the Thief especially has a lot of interesting dynamics to it, you just need to learn them. It is a lot more then just shadowstepping everywhere.

I would agree with the whole zerg thing though. I'll give it some...well, give...just because it is a stress test and few people are putting real effort into anything. More strategy will come when real guilds are going to be in PvP. WvW will have a lot more strategy as well. For the stress tests though I assume people were just zerging all over the place because most of them had a Warrior or Guardian and just wanted to get into the action.

P.S. I wouldn't judge a game off of 1-2 hours of gameplay. It takes a hell of a lot longer then that to get any moderate understanding of the aspects of the game, particularly the combat and what is effective.[/QUOTE]

I'm impressed at the patience you're showing with the guy who wants to be the obvious troll no one would want to play with.

Really looking forward to this Saturday/Friday night.

[quote name='xycury']At best their might be a folded paper map. That's what was in Nightfall and Factions box.

EOTN maybe had a map too, but I bought the digital.

If you want to pay less, go Amazon. The game won't care.[/QUOTE]

Well the digital release on Amazon has a free $5 off coupon. So it's either that or a box with a manual and (possibly) a map. Decisions decisions...

[quote name='Genocidal']I'm impressed at the patience you're showing with the guy who wants to be the obvious troll no one would want to play with.

Really looking forward to this Saturday/Friday night.[/QUOTE]

:bouncy: There are enough things in life to get your jimmies rustled about, the Internet is not one of them.

[quote name='BrentronD']Question, did you guys establish which world server to call home?[/QUOTE]

Well, the server lists have come out so a lot of people are starting to dedicate themselves to some servers. I have an idea of which one I am going to, but nothing will be finalized until the game comes out. Of course, everyone will be switching around a lot for the first week or so while server transfers are free.

Oh god those are great, the Norns getting the Carlton dance seems weird but it's frickin hilarious, as are the Asura and Humans, the Charr is alright but it fits them, and my Sylvari is going to look weird doing that, but it's all good

Those were interesting to say the least. I am a bit disappointed that there aren't nearly as many dances as there were in GW1 (only one per race this time), but they are solid enough. Dances aren't a big deal but nobody wants to see crappy ones, although funnily enough most people aren't impressed with any of them.

Glad I'm going with the Human, one of the best IMO. :rofl:

[quote name='Genocidal']I'm impressed at the patience you're showing with the guy who wants to be the obvious troll no one would want to play with.[/QUOTE]
I just call it as I see it. I've been doing this for a long time and seen it all, so it doesn't take long for me to pick up on certain vibes. What I do know is they're smart to keep the game F2P, because it feels less like an MMO and more like a game people will pick up and play for a couple hours before being bored, like a MOBA almost. Again, the bigger your guild is, the more enjoyment you'll have out of it.

Zerg games like that get old fast for me.

[quote name='Jodou']I just call it as I see it. I've been doing this for a long time and seen it all, so it doesn't take long for me to pick up on certain vibes. What I do know is they're smart to keep the game F2P, because it feels less like an MMO and more like a game people will pick up and play for a couple hours before being bored, like a MOBA almost. Again, the bigger your guild is, the more enjoyment you'll have out of it.

Zerg games like that get old fast for me.[/QUOTE]

zerg in stress test yeah. In the final, guilds can "sponsor" keeps. So they will earn more rep for defending. Strategy will come into play more post launch.

Part of the problem is, with a short time to play there is no way to really know how the server rewards/buffs affect the pve Game. Once the rewards are shown to be desirable, I think we will see more coordinated efforts.

And little guilds will have place too. Can help resupply keeps or take smaller outposts. Or just jump in and help or anywhere you want. Plus I think you can join multiple guilds. So no reason why you couldn't join a large wvwvw crew and have a smaller one of you can friends only.

[quote name='Jodou']I just call it as I see it. I've been doing this for a long time and seen it all, so it doesn't take long for me to pick up on certain vibes. What I do know is they're smart to keep the game F2P, because it feels less like an MMO and more like a game people will pick up and play for a couple hours before being bored, like a MOBA almost. Again, the bigger your guild is, the more enjoyment you'll have out of it.

Zerg games like that get old fast for me.[/QUOTE]

Its a STRESS TEST. Of course everybody was just being zergs because they put no effort into anything. I saw a guy or two just yesterday saying "its a stress test, who cares if you win?". No lie, an exact quote.

The game has a lot of depth to it but most people did nothing but run around in PvE killing wolves or go into PvP/WvW and test out the balancing of the whole competitive landscape. You are putting too much stock into a stress test in which 99% of people barely even touched crafting, harvesting, the marketplace (in any depth) or anything else aside from purely killing stuff.

When the game launches...in two days...you will see many more people exploring the game more in-depth. The marketplace and organized destruction of PvP/WvW will become more common. As a sidenote though, I don't think a bunch of perfectly organized SWAT teams in PvP will ever be that common...that mode is, for the most part, just meant to be a random-on-random kill-fest. WvW on the other hand...

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I don't think a bunch of perfectly organized SWAT teams in PvP will ever be that common...that mode is, for the most part, just meant to be a random-on-random kill-fest. WvW on the other hand...[/QUOTE]
wut. do you not remember gw hoh? that shit is cutthroat. fucking koreans always winning favor for their region. had to wait till they went to sleep to win it for us and god help you if you were japanese. a pug had just about 0 chance doing anything other than flareway, minion factory, or iway and even then you were going to get shit on unless the other "real" teams were drunk.

I already heard about late night 2AM attacks in WvW that guilds put together. It is going to be tough to take a guild into WvW and automatically excel unless you are truly dedicated to it. Waking up in the middle of the night to pull off a late night raid on an objective point is pretty intense.

With sPVP they said they want to push that into esports. I don't think they have any streaming or spectator features in yet, but they have them planned. So with planned tournaments (I think I saw weekly/monthly/YEARLY) I'm sure that'll entice some folks to build teams and wade into it.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I already heard about late night 2AM attacks in WvW that guilds put together. It is going to be tough to take a guild into WvW and automatically excel unless you are truly dedicated to it. Waking up in the middle of the night to pull off a late night raid on an objective point is pretty intense.[/QUOTE]
It's called alarm clock raiding and back when TR played Shadowbane we had a sister European guild (Sun) that protected our keep during the night hours. Likewise, we protected their keep when they slept. I highly doubt keeps will be even close to worth that kind of protection in this game, though. Losing a keep like that usually buried the guild with it.

[quote name='Jodou']It's called alarm clock raiding and back when TR played Shadowbane we had a sister European guild (Sun) that protected our keep during the night hours. Likewise, we protected their keep when they slept. I highly doubt keeps will be even close to worth that kind of protection in this game, though. Losing a keep like that usually buried the guild with it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, so I heard (about Shadowbane). Sounds interesting because keeps were THE most important thing in that game, but in GW2 the WvW system revolves around losing and regaining keeps over and over, really. I don't think anyone is intended to keep a structure for extended periods of time personally.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Yep, so I heard (about Shadowbane). Sounds interesting because keeps were THE most important thing in that game, but in GW2 the WvW system revolves around losing and regaining keeps over and over, really. I don't think anyone is intended to keep a structure for extended periods of time personally.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, which is really disappointing and hence the Warhammer vibe. Sure people can sponsor a keep and say come get some, but with so little investment involved it's like meh, who cares. Might be good for some forum drama the first few times it happens, but that got old in Warhammer fast for us.

There are incentives beyond bragging rights. Though I guess some lead to that. There are boons and buffs you are earn for entire guild. Those earn influence so you can "level up" your guild and unlock emblems and gear.

Maybe not enough for some, just I know the more influence the more, choices you have.

It isn't a dire need to keep any structures you get ahold of though, it means a lot less then some games. Of course, I don't think guilds are going to be lazy about defending their keeps and structures. Late night raids, large numbers and shocking cordination will be displayed in WvW I'm certain.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']It isn't a dire need to keep any structures you get ahold of though, it means a lot less then some games. Of course, I don't think guilds are going to be lazy about defending their keeps and structures. Late night raids, large numbers and shocking cordination will be displayed in WvW I'm certain.[/QUOTE]
Yeah see, that's the "so what" I'm talking about. How can I, as a GM, get my guild motivated to take a keep? Nobody cares about buffs or silly emblems, but give us a world boss to fight over that drops legendary loot and we're all over that. If we can't kill it, nobody will as long as we're there heh. PvP rewards are a farce, because the reward should be killing each other. If that's not fun, then what's the point?

I know the game isn't built for us, but I'm willing to give it a shot during the free 3-day trial. After playing Planetside 2 beta so much though, I'm already leaning towards just canceling my order.

bread's done
Back