The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

MinDRIoT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (97%)
Having recently acquired a couple of tremendous Arcade1Up machines on sale at a local Walmart. Very tremendous. I thought we needed a dedicated Arcade1Up deals thread to keep track of deals. I know deals people, believe me.

These deals are very YMMV but it seems many, many Walmarts are clearing these out right now. Clearing them out. Brickseek links provided where available, check your local stores for price and availability. Brickseek is not 100% accurate though, as I said ... YMMV.

Search your local area, or any ZIP, for in store deals with deals.consolekits.com (Site no longer exists)

Asteroids, Major Havoc, Lunar Lander and Tempest - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $164.99 online

Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles - as low as $75 in store, very hard to find or $174.99 online

Final Fight, 1944, Ghosts'N Goblins, Strider - as low as $125 in store $150 at Walmart online

Galaga, Galaxian - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Mortal Kombat I,II & III - as low as $150 in store $199 at Walmart online

Pacman, Pacman PLUS - as low as $150 in store

Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust, Defender - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Space Invaders - as low as $75 in store $150 at Walmart online

Street Fighter ll - as low as $75 in store $199 at Walmart online

Golden Tee - $299 at Walmart

Marvel Superheroes - $299 at Walmart

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Machine w/ Riser - $349 at Walmart

Star Wars w/riser - $399 at Walmart

Pac-Man Head to Head Arcade Table with Two Pac-Man Gaming Stools (No Galaga or DigDug)- $450 at Sam's

Street Fighter Head to Head Arcade Table - $430 at Walmart

Legends Ultimate Home Arcade Special Edition - $500 at Sam's

Arcade1up Riser - $44.88 online or order for instore pickup

I myself picked up the Final Fight and Rampage machines for $125 each for the Oval Office in the White CatCondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
CH did have a dip switch setting to give proper clues after death, but I can't remember if I ever saw it on any of the few machines I saw, or once I learned of DAPHNE(my almost 50 year brain is hazy to say the least). I think the first time I ever saw a cab in person(Del Amo Mall in Torrance CA), I actually saw someone finish it as well. Which was rare even for DL at the time, and CH was 10x more difficult due to lack of proper clues and two action buttons.

Yeah, it was pretty ingenious how they spliced content from several areas to make one game, to save on the cost of having to animate from scratch as Don Bluth had to for DL. I always wondered why CH never had the flashes or clues that DL did, and after learning the history pretty early on, I knew why.

I'm pretty sure your spot on in regards to Stern and the licensing expiring, as that was typical of so much anime from that time period and before. And with several sources being used for this one game, no telling the "who, what or why" of it all? Like I said, someone would have to do some serious work to make this happen(mini arcade, console release, etc.), and I just don't see the interest there to make it worth anyone's time. But I would so support it in whatever way possible if it ever happens, but I'm just not holding my breath.
I played the original back in the arcade and was even there when the guy installed it, and saw him put in the disc. The arcade did have clues (a dipswitch setting that was on in my arcade), but it was done with text that would indicate stick or button input being required (but not exactly what you needed to do). I believe it could be turned off or give more specific hints. Another dipswitch setting was to show the gallows after the death sequence, I guess they figured that might have been a tad over the top for a family arcade, but it was on in my arcade.

When I made my arcade cabinet I put several arcade games on it, and Cliff Hanger with the updated widescreen footage was an absolute must, right behind Space Ace (my favorite) and Dragon's Liar (the classic). If you are messing around with this, keep in mind Space Ace and Dragon's Lair have "enhanced" versions as well that fans put together that added in some missing scenes (the bridge in DL in particular) and worked on the game flow. They play a lot better, but of course aren't for you if you want arcade perfection.

Yeah, the gallows scene was another area were you see the creativity and downside to recycling already created animation. One of the best features of Dragons Lair(SA/DL2) was the unique death scenes for every wrong move. But CH either used a generic explosion, or the gallows, and it wasn't until adulthood that I realized the gallows didn't have to happen. It was pretty graphic(not to an 80's kid), but some could have found issue, and that's why the option was there to turn it off. It wasn't until years later did I realize CH had very few death scene options, especially when compared to Bluth's crazy creative death scenes. LOL

Yeah, the gallows scene was another area were you see the creativity and downside to recycling already created animation. One of the best features of Dragons Lair(SA/DL2) was the unique death scenes for every wrong move. But CH either used a generic explosion, or the gallows, and it wasn't until adulthood that I realized the gallows didn't have to happen. It was pretty graphic(not to an 80's kid), but some could have found issue, and that's why the option was there to turn it off. It wasn't until years later did I realize CH had very few death scene options, especially when compared to Bluth's crazy creative death scenes. LOL
There was a few nicely done death scenes in CH, like when the tree branch breaks if you fail to use your belt winch in time, the car appearing to blow up if you fail to dodge the grenades during the chase, Cliff being messed up by the underwater mechanisms, or appearing to die in the gears during the fight against the Count Draco/Caliostro in the clock tower. Others were very fitting, like Zenigata pointing a gun right at the player and pulling the trigger if you fail the opening scene, worked well. Still, not as good as Bluth's many death scenes.

When I played it on Daphne years ago, the DIP switch options allowed for clues to be given if the player failed a certain amount of times. These were present in the arcade as well. I think removing the gallows might also have been because it was tedious to have to keep watching it over and over, especially since not all of CH's moves were easily discerned. One guy I saw playing it would shake the machine when the gallows came on, and it would end the sequence prematurely.

So my Time Crisis project is complete.  

I finally finished up converting the TC to JAMMA.  But after I got that working, my board set had some graphical issues.  The game played fine but it just looked strange with glitches.

I got another board set that was working and swapped out 2 of the 4 boards into the one I converted, and now all works perfectly.

The game is such a blast i'm glad to finally have it working!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CSM4KO5cy0

So I posted a while back that I picked up an upright Turbo Outrun that runs blind. I just don't have the time to mess with it. Does this have any value as is? Any estimate? I think I'm just going to Facebook Marketplace it.

There was a few nicely done death scenes in CH, like when the tree branch breaks if you fail to use your belt winch in time, the car appearing to blow up if you fail to dodge the grenades during the chase, Cliff being messed up by the underwater mechanisms, or appearing to die in the gears during the fight against the Count Draco/Caliostro in the clock tower. Others were very fitting, like Zenigata pointing a gun right at the player and pulling the trigger if you fail the opening scene, worked well. Still, not as good as Bluth's many death scenes.

When I played it on Daphne years ago, the DIP switch options allowed for clues to be given if the player failed a certain amount of times. These were present in the arcade as well. I think removing the gallows might also have been because it was tedious to have to keep watching it over and over, especially since not all of CH's moves were easily discerned. One guy I saw playing it would shake the machine when the gallows came on, and it would end the sequence prematurely.
It would likely also end the machine prematurely as well. The laser disc players in those machines weren't really known for their quality or dependability (they were mostly bulk because the laser disc home market didn't take off), and forcing them into a read error by physically shifting the head is not a good thing.

So my Time Crisis project is complete.

I finally finished up converting the TC to JAMMA. But after I got that working, my board set had some graphical issues. The game played fine but it just looked strange with glitches.

I got another board set that was working and swapped out 2 of the 4 boards into the one I converted, and now all works perfectly.

The game is such a blast i'm glad to finally have it working!
That's pretty awesome. How many games are in that cabinet now?

It would likely also end the machine prematurely as well. The laser disc players in those machines weren't really known for their quality or dependability (they were mostly bulk because the laser disc home market didn't take off), and forcing them into a read error by physically shifting the head is not a good thing.
Yes, I remember many operators would convert laser cabinets to other games once the players failed. One operator told me he sent his cockpit MACH 3 to the dump when the laser player failed. Others recycled their cabs, converting them into other games. I still recall the disappointment I got whenever I saw a MACH 3 cockpit in an arcade, only to get inside and see it was converted to 1942, Sky Shark, or XX Mission.

That's pretty awesome. How many games are in that cabinet now?
I have 8 games total hooked up at once but one of them is "external" in the sense that I can change it without going inside the cabinet. It sits on top of the Rush cabinet right next to it. That is where I plan to hook up Time Crisis when connected to the switcher.

I have 12 games total though but only 8 can be connected at once.

Right now TC is hooked up directly because the switcher blew a relay and was being replaced but I have it back now and just haven't hooked it back up yet as I got it back like a week ago.

But I purposefully designed it so i have one slot in the switcher "external" so I can change with easy. I am contemplating now finding a Namco gun with solenoid to use exclusively with TC too. It just adds so much more to the feel but those things are not cheap and/or easy to come by.

The microswitch in my arcade1up TMNT isn’t working right for the one joystick. Took it apart, pried the cover off the microswitch, and now it’s clicking and working. Not sure how long that’ll last. Anyone have a recommendation for a new microswitch?

Anyone seeing the preorder for the atgames pinball?
What engine are they using to render their tables? Pinball physics are notoriously difficult to convincingly render in a video game. Previous machines like this, such as Virtuapin, played poorly, despite having excellent cabinets and a good selection of classic Bally/Williams tables. Which brings me to another point - this machine comes with 22 Gottleib tables. Gottleib is what people who want a pinball machine in their house, but don't want to spend the ridiculous amount of money a new Stern, Jersey Jack, or vintage Bally/Williams costs. If it allows you to add your own games like their Arcade Legends cabinet does, that could be awesome, but getting good table simulations will be a lot more complicated than simply finding and installing roms.

Does anyone have the Arcade1Up NBA Jam cabinet? Can you recall how many firmware updates it has had? I found news on their first fw update from August but wonder if there has been another. Thanks

We're you interested to begin with and if so, what were you expecting the price to be? Most pre-made entry level Vpins start @ $1000+, so $700 doesn't out of the gate scream unreasonable to me...
$700 is an absurd value IF you can add tables and it uses decent pinball physics.

If it wasn't tiny I would maybe consider it because I saw a local guy who had a real sized pinball machine that he converted to a digital one and I gotta say I was a bit more impressed than I expected.  And this was like in between 6 of his real pinball machines.  

It still doesn't feel like a real pinball game or anything but it was still neat.  And the way he could switch up playfields at will was awesome as well.  The actuators when you press the side buttons was impressive though.

$700 is an absurd value IF you can add tables and it uses decent pinball physics.
Exactly, and that's why I said "out of the gate" . There's nothing in the original comment about why it's an automatic pass other than the $700 reference, which to me implies it's "too expensive". I'm still going to wait for reviews, but having just bought an ALU and being extremely happy with it (particularly the BYOG feature), I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll pull this off. Time will tell.

Physics better be more than decent, especially with the less than stellar table lineup. Of course, this could be a good deal if outside programs can be used, like Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball, which both have good physics and native cabinet support. Visual Pinball is user supported, so the quality and cabinet support varies by table, but some of them have really good physics and visuals, and you can get tables that will never appear on any other programs due to the impossibility of licensing, like Family Guy, Tron Legacy and Spider-Man.

Just a couple more days until the MvC cab at Best Buy drops. I was gonna pay full price like a sucker because of hype plus fear it of it selling out before I could find one after a clearance price drop. I still am paying full price I guess but I found a credit card offering $250 back after spending $500 in the next three months, and my wife said she’d pay $200 of it as a gift since it comes out on my birthday, so it’s only gonna run me $50 plus tax.
I’d much rather have a candy cab of MvC but I can’t wait around forever to find one of those that won’t cost me an arm and a leg, so I’m super excited for this.

i’m going to take my chances and wait for $450 from sams club with free shipping...that is what I paid for my ALU 1.0 (very happy) which has the same $599 msrp as the legends pinball

i’m going to take my chances and wait for $450 from sams club with free shipping...that is what I paid for my ALU 1.0 (very happy) which has the same $599 msrp as the legends pinball
I like this approach. I have the ALU 1.0 w/ the Sauce and I grabbed one of the A1up head to head cocktail tables from Sam's club when it was on sale. Space for a pinball table but be hard to find but I would love to add one in

Just a couple more days until the MvC cab at Best Buy drops. I was gonna pay full price like a sucker because of hype plus fear it of it selling out before I could find one after a clearance price drop. I still am paying full price I guess but I found a credit card offering $250 back after spending $500 in the next three months, and my wife said she’d pay $200 of it as a gift since it comes out on my birthday, so it’s only gonna run me $50 plus tax.
I’d much rather have a candy cab of MvC but I can’t wait around forever to find one of those that won’t cost me an arm and a leg, so I’m super excited for this.
It's so tempting but can't justify the purchase when I already have a modded Marvel cab capable of playing those games. If they ever do a perfect port of MvC2 however, I won't hesitate though.

Walmart also has a version with the riser and light-up marquee for $400: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacman-40th-Anniversary-Edition-Arcade-Machine-Arcade1Up/747431257

As for the Best Buy version, you're paying an extra $100 for a bar stool and a light up deck protector. It's up to you if you feel that's worth the extra $100 cost. From the review videos I've seen on Youtube, I'm unimpressed with the light up deck protector. I would've preferred the Best Buy version come with extra games or authentic Sanwa controls.
I was pretty much going to go with the Best Buy unit as an all in one deal since it is a gift. BB sold out before my new credit card arrived; I think it worked out better though because I just ordered the $399 one at Walmart and they had Galaga stools for $69 which I am pretty stoked to get since Galaga is probably her favorite arcade game.

Appreciate the advice on these, not sure I will be able to keep wraps on this thing with delivery and us both working from home.

My first A1Up purchase, I'm very comfortable with assembly but any tips or tricks on setting these things up?

EDIT: Maybe I was wrong. Nvm.
EDIT2: Nope, I was right the first time. The MvC cab at Best Buy is sold out now. Just got on since it’s finally release day and can’t get one. Guess I’m in for a lousy birthday today.

Honestly it's up to you but I'd wait on both. If anything grab the TMNT. A $269 Rampage isn't that great of a discount.
I agree about the discount on Rampage but you can't find those cabs anywhere. I know, because I've been looking. But I also know that it is supposed to be one of the worst A1Up cabs with myriad issues.

As for A1Up, I'd love to get the Outrun and Buck Hunter cabs, but I just can't find the room. I still have 3 that I haven't put together yet, along with my ALU, Golden Tee, NBA Jam & Pacman 40th.

I think you should take the screen protector off (at least the top) before screwing in the marquee. Part of the marquee sits over it so you can't reach it entirely otherwise.

I think you should take the screen protector off (at least the top) before screwing in the marquee. Part of the marquee sits over it so you can't reach it entirely otherwise.
The film on the screen/deck protector is always the most difficult part of this for me. Yes, I would remove the film on the screen before putting the marquee on because the marquee just leaves one more thing that can grab on to that plastic film and not let go. It's already bad enough that it's trapped by the screws. The last couple I've needed to take tweezers to pull off pieces of plastic.

I do use a powered screwdriver for the whole thing, but it is a very weak battery operated one.

Dude what credit card company is that.

My first A1Up purchase, I'm very comfortable with assembly but any tips or tricks on setting these things up?
Yes, save that giant customer service number on the screen because it's almost guaranteed that something will be scratched or damaged right out of the box.

Yes, save that giant customer service number on the screen because it's almost guaranteed that something will be scratched or damaged right out of the box.
Disagree. As with any large purchase, keep the receipt and hold onto the box for at least a couple weeks if you can.

If anything in that box is defective, go buy a new one and return the old one. Arcade1up takes FOREVER to get you replacement files.

Germantown, MD Walmart had it at $299 on Monday. Dunno what it is today. I might make a trip there to see if they dropped it further or not. There's a few in Bowie, MD that searches are saying are $200 for TMNT.

So here's the question, should I order the $269 Rampage? or grab the $299 TMNT?
Rampage is hard to find. And you can't wait for a clearance price drop that happened in the past and may not happen again. So if you want it, get it.

There are rumors that A1Up will be refreshing some of their older cabs, but we won't know which ones until it happens.

Disagree. As with any large purchase, keep the receipt and hold onto the box for at least a couple weeks if you can.

If anything in that box is defective, go buy a new one and return the old one. Arcade1up takes FOREVER to get you replacement files.
This really depends on your level of patience, threshold for hassel, and your store situation (i.e., distance, available inventory, etc). Even if you get a replacement, chances are something is going to be wrong with that one. Instead of getting trapped in some OCD part swapping exercise to form one completely acceptable unit, I've found it far easier to just put a ticket in and get a replacement piece sent right to your door for free. Given you're okay to wait a week or two for the part, it's not a huge deal.

If they tell you that part won't be available for 6 months or something, then I would default to the frankenstein store return strategy.

MvC is available again on Best Buy for store pickup
Thank you so much! After waking up from a calzone-and-ice-cream-cake-induced coma just now I was looking at CAG and saw your post. Immediately rushed to the site to purchase it. Since it’s my birthday month, I got 10% off too. Delivery says the 14th but honestly it could say next month and I’d still be happy to have secured one. Thanks again!

Link is dead now. I saw it working earlier and saw 2 in stock at my store. I wonder if it was a price mistake they caught onto?

Are those cocktail sets the same size as legit cocktail tables? I saw it said "full size" in the title. The one thing I hate about A1Up cabs are how tiny they are but a legit full size cocktail table for $100 I'd probably do.

Link is dead now. I saw it working earlier and saw 2 in stock at my store. I wonder if it was a price mistake they caught onto?

Are those cocktail sets the same size as legit cocktail tables? I saw it said "full size" in the title. The one thing I hate about A1Up cabs are how tiny they are but a legit full size cocktail table for $100 I'd probably do.
I put in an order for store pick-up and within 10 minutes of that I saw it go from out of stock to off the site. Seemed like a price error, which is one reason I didn't just hop in the car and drive over real quick.

I expect my order to get cancelled.

the cocktail cabinet is not full size

bread's done
Back