The House Of The Dead: Overkill - Gen. Discussion & Info 8/10 says Eurogamer

[quote name='-Never4ever-']And HotD4 sucked a giant D.[/quote]

Its true, it was alright but didn't pick up fast like the others do.

yeah, but HotD4 used a very different formula...

oh and update: I got Ghost Squad on wii a few weeks ago... damn good... I hope this game uses the same level up system.

thank you. you havesies good wii gaming tasties lilboo. I respecties yousies for thats.

I still love how you handcuff hostages and high-five the president.

Make sure you play Arcade mode and unlock the Bikini mode!! Shooting the bikini girls is great! But this is also the HotD Overkill thread, so we'll save that discussion for the Ghost Squad thread!

So, for people that have played 2 and 3 on Wii. Is it like real light gun arcading action where you're just aiming naturally as opposed to dragging a cursor?

[quote name='leveskikesko']So, for people that have played 2 and 3 on Wii. Is it like real light gun arcading action where you're just aiming naturally as opposed to dragging a cursor?[/quote]

Only if you use the Perfect Shot. It is sort of akward on the Zapper, but the aiming and the reloading are almost identical to the arcade style, so brings back a lot of memories and is also great fun. Only wish they actually did something with the graphics, but the gameplay was fun. Can't wait for Overkill.

handcannon116.jpg

Well looky at what the Aussies and the Brits are getting: the Hand Cannon shell and a bundle. The bundle comes with the game, and TWO hand cannons for just
USD$60
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/20...se-of-the-dead-hand-cannon-shoot-like-g-does/

See, I was excited, but the REAL guns don't seem to look anything like the one two posts above. If anything, they pretty much look like the Nyko one, but with a revolver grip.

Still, cool... hope we get some news about it in the US.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-review

8/10 says Eurogamer.
Combined with the occasionally grating script, these moments of weakness and imbalance can cause The House of the Dead: Overkill to feel flat at times. But that's only because they're thrown into stark relief by the rest of the game's frankly amazing quality, attention to detail and largesse: the impeccable presentation and production values, the clever and generous structure, the compelling scoring, the intoxicating flow of the levels. Incredibly for such a simple and strictly limited game, it almost never tries your patience, and it's made with such infectious and irreverent glee and such obvious pride, you can't help but join in.

A lot better than I expected!

The review has some really stupid parts, like insinuating that the game doesn't have leaderboards because of Nintendo, but it's nice to see some positivity from the VG media for a Wii game.

I've begun seeing preorders at $49.99, which seems to be a bit too much for a light-gun game IMO *cough*RE: UC *cough*. Maybe that's because of the low CDN dollar: $40 in the US?

D'oh, my GameStop only got two pre-order comics and I arrived too late. I read on Joystiq that Amazon was offering the comic digitally. If it's like the Prince of Persia Penny Arcade comic, they just emailed a link to a PDF file that anyone could access. So...did anyone pre-order from Amazon and receive such a link?

Dammit - I thought for sure I would get a copy of this from Gamefly today but they didn't receive the last game I sent in yet. HOTD was "available" this morning and now it's low availability. I might actually have to buy this since I want to play now and my local Blockbuster apparently hasn't heard about this thing called the Wii that lots of people have.

Has anyone picked this up?
I'm really excited for this.

I'm a bit skeptical. Not that it won't be good (I absolutely love zapper games), but Sega Wii games have a tendency to drop quick.

I might hold off until it's a bit cheaper...but.. I don't know! :(

[quote name='fatez']i love shooters... but the price really needs to be lower. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think it should have been $40 at most, but Sega is banking on the "hardcore" angle to cash in.

I too think the game will depreciate quickly, but I got it for $30 so I don't have to wait.

While I sort of echo the sentiments of 'it should be cheaper', I'm willing to let Sega slide. At this point, they are one of the few companies actually putting out some decent (or should be decent) ORIGINAL 3rd party games for the Wii. Honestly, the trifecta of HOTD: Overkill, Mad World, and Conduit are *more* than enough for me to throw some extra funds their way.

Oh, and Overkill is fantastic. It's a total departure from the other HOTDs aesthetics-wise, but it's a really really great original mature Wii title. (Too many words in that sentence!)

On the one hand, I figure that the price for this will drop quickly. On the other hand... what Camoor said. SEGA is being very good to the Wii, and is forcing me to be very bad to my wallet. I just wish there was more time between some of these things. I'd love it if MadWorld got pushed back to, say, August.

Just did my first runthrough with my roommate. Detailed impressions will be up shortly. Short version: holy fucking tits!

EDIT: Okay, here's the long version.

How's the Game Motherfucking Play?
Quite well, actually. It doesn't break new ground and the option to change the camera facing slightly is more-or-less irrelevant, but everything that it does, it does well. The combo system is satisfying (though thanks to the Freeman's Mind videos, I can't help but yell out "American Badass!" every time I get 25 kills in a row) but irrelevant to those of us who would rather just go all-out with our ARs. The continue system is particularly well thought-out - you can immediately hop back into a game at the cost of your ever-so-important score. I found that all but the last boss were comically easy with two people, though. The game plays fast as hell, though there unfortunately occurs every once-in-a-while a situation wherein you can't see the last zombie on screen very well, and thus are forced to look around blindly for a near-invisible (and almost invariably harmless) target. Far more annoying, though, is the fact that you can't break off a reload - not to switch to a secondary weapon to deal with an enemy in your face, and not to fire off a quick shell half-way through reloading your shotgun.

If it sounds like I'm being more negative than positive about the gameplay here that's because it's easier to do it that way. I run out of ways of saying "this was awesome" rather quickly, but I have no trouble nitpicking. So the short of it is that while there are indeed some nits to pick, the gameplay never drops below solid and rarely drops below fucking awesome.

How're the Guns, Motherfucker?
The selection's not the greatest. You start off with a basic handgun and can quickly upgrade to - in order of cost - a shotgun, an SMG, an assault rifle, and an auto-shotgun. Guns can be upgraded in recoil (surprisingly bad on the default pistol), damage, ammo, reload, rate of fire, and power, though a couple start higher by default. Thing is, once you get the auto-shotgun, you have no real use for anything else. The pistol is weak, the shotgun takes too long to reload (which isn't really that long, but the game is very fast-paced, and you can't break off a reload, as I mentioned before), and the other two weapons absolutely murder any chance to get a combo (required to get a good score, which is required to get new guns and upgrade existing ones). So while the AR is extremely satisfying to use and I did break it out from time to time, it's basically the Mask de Smith of House of the Dead.

I complained to my roommate at one point about the lack of a revolver in the game. Imagine my delight on seeing what was unlocked after clearing the game for the first time...

Motherfucker, How's it Look?
Good.
What the fuck you want from me? I'm sure it's no DDR or whatever, but yeah, it looks good. The zombies themselves all look well done, especially the bosses. I kinda get weirded out by the shoulders of the two main characters, though what exactly the problem with them is, I could not tell you - something about it just says "uncanny valley" to me. The game will occasionally suffer through slowdown when hordes of flaming zombies mutants flood the screen, though I personally like this, and I don't think that I'm the only person that sees that sort of technical hiccup as a nice throwback to the 16-bit days (my brothers and I used to call it "Sonic Slowdown" after our many races of Sonic 2). Less charming are the occasional full-out stutters, though this never seems to happen during combat, but rather during camera pans. It's also pretty dark during the carnival level, which is weird, because that seems like it should be the most lit-up level.

Do the Writing and Voice Acting Fornicate with their Progenitor?
I've heard it said that Isaac Washington's constant fucks do get a little old. And yes, it's true, they do. My roommate and I are planning on rectifying this by creating a drinking game out of it. One drink for Isaac swearing, two for G, three for Ms. Guns, and anyone with a Goregasm can hand out drinks at will.

But the thing is, even sober, every time you start to half-think, "Okay, Isaac, I get it - just get to killing things already, man!" the quality takes a steep jump. The whole last level is particularly well-written, and the ending is god damn fantastic.

Voice acting is... open to interpretation. Isaac is good, G's inconsistent, and Varla sounds... bored. One third of me thinks that this was just poor voice acting, the other two thirds think that it was a conscious choice to make Varla sound unconcerned for the main characters and her own wellbeing. This is part wishful thinking, and part me not believing that the developers could get so very many things so spectacularly right and yet fuck up on Varla's voice.

Mothafucka!
Indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I was on dial-up until this September. I can take motherfucking lag.
EDIT: Damn, I forgot one of the best bits: The music. Good god, the music is bitchin'. My only complaint there is that the song “Get Funky” only plays during menus and one cutscene. Woulda been awesome to actually play with that song going.

Agreed with most of Crotch's impressions, though I love Isaac and his constant use of the f-bomb. This will understandably get annoying during repeated playthrough, but at least after the first time it's skipable.

Not enough can really be said about the music. This is one of the few times I wish that there was a soundtrack to buy for the game as it fits the theme well and is all around fantastic.

The lag in single player doesn't bother me as it doesn't happen too often. While playing 2 player though the hitches were worse and while my wife and I were still enjoying the game, it was a noticable distraction. I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or an optimization problem.

I had trade in credit, but I would've paid full price. I want more of this on the Wii.

[quote name='Scrubking']
@ Crotch
Thanks for the Impressions. Interesting to see the lag didn't bother you.[/quote]
Yeah, thanks Crotch. As soon as you mentioned the lag and Sonic 2 I immediately became flushed with nostalgia and wrote a letter to my mother.

I should be getting a copy today or tomorrow. This is such a good month for zombies.

[quote name='lilboo']
I might hold off until it's a bit cheaper...but.. I don't know! :([/quote]Listen to the ghost of Lilboo past![quote name='lilboo']Day one.
Seriously.
Day one.
If I could get this the day before day one I would. :shock:[/quote]Though I can understand the temptation to hold off. It's not exactly a title that screams "I will stay at MSRP forever," now. I guess... do what'cha want. I just wanted something to shoot.

I do want this! But I REALLY, REALLY, have a feeling that I'll buy it this weekend and in like ~1 month it'll be $40.

I loved 2 & 3 on the Wii. Absolutely loved it!...but

Um.

Isn't it $40 now?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked Gamestop's site, and it looks like it is $50 in the US. Weird - it was $50 here, too, even though 99% of our games are an extra ten dollars.

Oh if it was $40 I would have jumped on it like a fat girl on cake.

I gotta see what's coming out. I'm possibly getting that Sonic's collection and I just don't want to buy 2 new games at once :(

Welcome to our newest member: Totally not The Crotch
Welcome to our newest member: Maybe The Crotch?
Welcome to our newest member: Still not The Crotch

Beat Story Mode tonight.

I couldn't possibly love this game any more than I do. It really is utterly fantastic. Totally recommend it, even at $50.

I also can't really believe just how, uh, over-the-top it gets. Seriously, a Wii-exclusive that's *this* M-rated? Some parent group is going to have a field day with this. Ha.

... now, go buy it.

Go.

Started playing this tonight and it's fantastic for not even being on my radar. So over the top and ridiculous.

I got mine today as well. Played it for a coupla hours and had no idea where the time went. Other than the occasional frame rate hiccup, the whole shebang is very well done and oh so over the top! The dialog is hilarious!

No regrets.

This game is amazing.

Lilboo, if you really liked HOTD 2 & 3 as much as you say, go get this game. Now. You are a cheapass, so I don't expect you to have to shell out more than $30 for it if you work hard enough. Even if you pay more, it is worth it. It's like HOTD2 and HOTD3 got together for hot (and slightly angry) intercourse of some kind and then a grubby but hip dwarf limped in and shaped the spongy leftovers into a polio doll. I actually kind of got off track there, but the point was supposed to be that this game is truly amazing. I can't begin to articulate how impressed I am without veering off into special needs fantasies.

bread's done
Back