The Hunger Games Pre-order Thread [8/18/12]

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The Hunger Games will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on August 18th. That's a Saturday, which follow's Liongate's Twilight release strategy. I figured it'd be good to have a thread details all of the various Retailer exclusive editions and pre-order bonuses being made.

Amazon

Just the regular 2-disc edition so far, no bonuses detailed

51ZNsLOdCxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Barnes and Noble

Bonus: Pre-order The Hunger Games now and receive a free 30”x40” cloth poster of Katniss as your gift with purchase. Gift available while supplies last, and quantities are limited.

176399308.JPG

Bestbuy.com and Bestbuy.ca (Canada)

This exclusive edition includes 2 DVD, 2 Blu-ray discs, and digital copy of The Hunger Games. It also comes with an acrylic Hunger Games keepsake that will be numbered, available exclusively at Best Buy in the US (also at Bestbuy.ca in Canada).

m2198992.jpg

Free Keychain w/ Pre-order of the DVD or BD (BB exclusive doesn't qualify apparently)

M2198991_1.jpg

Costco

Costco-DVD.jpg

Includes:

Parachute Compartment Necklace
Bag Clip with District 12 Seal
District 12 Nylon bag

Futureshop (Canada)

Exclusive District 12 Steelbook

M2198993_2.jpg

Exclusive Mockingjay Steelbook

m2198996_1.jpg

Regular edition Bonus: District 12 Keychain

FYE (In-store Only)

Reserve the Movie and get a free Tote bag. While Supplies Last

4kbhpx.jpg

Target

Exclusive Deluxe Edition with Bonus disc featuring forty-five minutes of exclusive content, and a video diary with stories from the Cornucopia and tribute biographies.

Walmart

Exclusive Mockingjay Pendant (see spoiler below) and Vudu Digital content: (The Stunts of the Hunger Game, Capitol Couture: The Styles of Panem)

0003139815563_300X300.jpg
0003139815563_AV1_300X300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gamegirl79']Does anyone know if the Best Buy CE digital copy is UV, iTunes, or both? Can't seem to find any info on the bb site.[/QUOTE]

From the pics it looks like they are both. One is for sure a UV copy.

[quote name='kklems']From the pics it looks like they are both. One is for sure a UV copy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Got my preorder in. Hoping for both UV and iTunes DC.

Those steelbooks look so nice. I just don't want to have to purchase multiple versions of this in order to get/watch all the exclusive content, though of course I understand why the publisher/studio would want to do this obviously $$$. I suspect there will be a "complete" edition released in the future that I will wait for. Haven't read the books so I can wait to rent it from netflix or redbox then pick some version of the movie up in the future assuming I enjoy it.

[quote name='karkyco']Those steelbooks look so nice. I just don't want to have to purchase multiple versions of this in order to get/watch all the exclusive content, though of course I understand why the publisher/studio would want to do this obviously $$$. I suspect there will be a "complete" edition released in the future that I will wait for. Haven't read the books so I can wait to rent it from netflix or redbox then pick some version of the movie up in the future assuming I enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

While I don't necessarily condone it, I'm sure the exclusive video content will be..."available" not long after the release.

[quote name='karkyco']Those steelbooks look so nice. I just don't want to have to purchase multiple versions of this in order to get/watch all the exclusive content, though of course I understand why the publisher/studio would want to do this obviously $$$. I suspect there will be a "complete" edition released in the future that I will wait for. Haven't read the books so I can wait to rent it from netflix or redbox then pick some version of the movie up in the future assuming I enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Read the book for sure. Having that back ground makes the movie more enjoyable and easy to follow. There were quite a few plot holes, unanswered questions and the movie does not develop the main character nearly as well as the book.

Really wish FutureShop would ship those Steelbooks to the US. I'm already buying Target, Walmart and BestBuy's versions, but I'd get both of those as well to complete the collection with Steel!

[quote name='trabbahabba']I just got my CE edition from Best Buy in the mail today.

I can confirm that the digital copy is BOTH iTunes and UltraViolet.[/QUOTE]
Where's the pic?

[quote name='ssjmichael']I hope that you redeemed it first, or don't mind parting with it.[/QUOTE]

Yes I redeemed it. Downloading now (for some reason it downloads the HD and SD versions both).

Last edited by a moderator:
going to rent it off redbox for a buck WOO then BURN IT WOOO :) then FREE MOVIE WOOOOOOOO

Then the FBI is going to bust into my house and send me to prison then i be going

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

all the time LOL

really though i rent it off redbox before buying it outright

[quote name='trabbahabba']I just got my CE edition from Best Buy in the mail today.

I can confirm that the digital copy is BOTH iTunes and UltraViolet.[/QUOTE]

What is the numbered collectable that is in it? Is it worth the price?

[quote name='SMBScooby']What is the numbered collectable that is in it? Is it worth the price?[/QUOTE]

Its an acrylic block, made in china. Has the logo on it. Mine looks cracked....

[quote name='trabbahabba']Its an acrylic block, made in china. Has the logo on it. Mine looks cracked....[/QUOTE]If it's cracked, swap it out in-store ASAP before they all disappear.

[quote name='WingsDJY']Why would they print the movie title backwards? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

It's not backwards. Took the picture with webcam and it reversed it.

The limited collector's edition from Best Buy would be so much better if the movie came in an actual blu-ray case. That way everything in the future would at least match if you shove them all in the box.

Do you guys think I need to pre order the BB CE and set it for in store pick up or will I be able to just walk in the day it comes out and grab one?

Crap. Totally forgot to cancel my Amazon pre-order, and now they won't let me. I was going to try my luck at picking up the Target edition tomorrow. Oh well, at least I got the Gold Box discount on it...

On the positive side, it looks like they changed it to release day shipping, even though it's coming out on a Saturday. Last time I looked, they were showing a Monday delivery date.

[quote name='arcane93']Crap. Totally forgot to cancel my Amazon pre-order, and now they won't let me. I was going to try my luck at picking up the Target edition tomorrow. Oh well, at least I got the Gold Box discount on it...

On the positive side, it looks like they changed it to release day shipping, even though it's coming out on a Saturday. Last time I looked, they were showing a Monday delivery date.[/QUOTE]Just refuse it for delivery, or if it's going to your house, put a signed note on your door with your signature that you're refusing delivery on the package.

If this was a Tuesday release, you should have still been able to cancel it, though as it's a Friday release..... ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']Just refuse it for delivery, or if it's going to your house, put a signed note on your door with your signature that you're refusing delivery on the package.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we'll see. I might just keep it. I wouldn't be able to get to Target until mid-afternoon at the earliest (by which point they may well be sold out of their limited edition), and I'd probably never actually watch the extra bonus disc anyway...

[quote name='shrike4242']If this was a Tuesday release, you should have still been able to cancel it, though as it's a Friday release..... ;)[/QUOTE]

It's a Saturday release actually, which is just weird...

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, we'll see. I might just keep it. I wouldn't be able to get to Target until mid-afternoon at the earliest (by which point they may well be sold out of their limited edition), and I'd probably never actually watch the extra bonus disc anyway...[/quote]You could try tomorrow and see if you luck out, and if not, then just keep the Amazon one.

If you never watch the bonus disc, then don't worry about it and keep the copy from Amazon.

[quote name='arcane93']It's a Saturday release actually, which is just weird...[/QUOTE]It's all been listed as "Friday midnight" everywhere I've seen it, which of course is Saturday to everyone else.

It's a Sat. release because Lionsgate is trying to reproduce the whole Twilight release schedule, which worked out just fine for them apparently.. I think it's pretty dumb personally, as the movie would probably sell just as many copies in the long run if it was released on Tuesday rather than Sat.

You can't really make a generalization about limited editions as some are truly limited and some definitely aren't. I heard the BB exclusive may be a little scarce, and I have a feeling that the Target one may be hard to come buy eventually too. Now whether they'll sell out the first week, or day even, is hard to say.

[quote name='Healingduck']Do limited editions tend to sell out? Do I need to pre order if I want one?[/QUOTE]

The Best Buy ad says that there is a minimum of 4 per store. I'm guessing the pre-orders with in store pick up will be deducted from the total that the store is allotted.

[quote name='trabbahabba']
pic of the Best Buy exclusive boxset
[/QUOTE]

:lol: It was too early for me when I was scrolling down through this thread and caught the top of your pic before I scrolled down further. You don't want to know what the top left of your pic (the couch) looked like to me :puke:

crack.jpg

[quote name='Serpentor']Man, that looks pretty darn good, what's the price?[/QUOTE]

Word via Blu-ray.com from someone who works at Costco is it'll be $40

Do any of them have a DVD a Blu combo other than that massive Best Buy exclusive? Need both and $30 is a little much, but that box is to massive and unwanted by me..

Cheapest I've seen is $19.99 on Blu, $16.99 ( I think) on DVD

Got my BestBuy Collector's Edition in the mail today. It's very nice. Pictures make the box look much larger than it is in my opinon. I expected a huge box in the mail, but it's quite a nice size.

for those that have their hunger games bluray or dvd, for the digital copy (everyone says its UV and iTunes is that true?) anyone know it we are getting the hd or sd version of the movie? also for the itunes copy are we getting the exclusives?

The exclusive bonus disc at Target. Is it a Blu-ray or DVD?

Plus, are there anything that's really must see on there?

All of it is exclusive to Target?

How much Jennifer Lawrence is on there?

[quote name='LoveDragonDon']The exclusive bonus disc at Target. Is it a Blu-ray or DVD?

Plus, are there anything that's really must see on there?

All of it is exclusive to Target?

How much Jennifer Lawrence is on there?[/QUOTE]
Exclusive bonus disc is Blu-ray.

[quote name='tahoesnowboarder']for those that have their hunger games bluray or dvd, for the digital copy (everyone says its UV and iTunes is that true?) anyone know it we are getting the hd or sd version of the movie? also for the itunes copy are we getting the exclusives?[/QUOTE]

I'd really like to get an answer for this as well. Thanks in advance :)

did anyone here go to a midnight release for this? I was kinda shocked myself to see some retailers doing this. I wonder what the pulse is on how many of the BB Exclusive sets each store got. I'm going to one right at opening, but highly debating whether to drop $30 on something that won't look good on the shelf anyway and probably be put in a box, esp when there isn't even a regular case housing the film.

A midnight release for a movie is quite surprising to me as well. I saw some ads about that and I was surprised to see that treatment for a movie.

bread's done
Back