The Hunger Games Pre-order Thread [8/18/12]

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The Hunger Games will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on August 18th. That's a Saturday, which follow's Liongate's Twilight release strategy. I figured it'd be good to have a thread details all of the various Retailer exclusive editions and pre-order bonuses being made.

Amazon

Just the regular 2-disc edition so far, no bonuses detailed

51ZNsLOdCxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Barnes and Noble

Bonus: Pre-order The Hunger Games now and receive a free 30”x40” cloth poster of Katniss as your gift with purchase. Gift available while supplies last, and quantities are limited.

176399308.JPG

Bestbuy.com and Bestbuy.ca (Canada)

This exclusive edition includes 2 DVD, 2 Blu-ray discs, and digital copy of The Hunger Games. It also comes with an acrylic Hunger Games keepsake that will be numbered, available exclusively at Best Buy in the US (also at Bestbuy.ca in Canada).

m2198992.jpg

Free Keychain w/ Pre-order of the DVD or BD (BB exclusive doesn't qualify apparently)

M2198991_1.jpg

Costco

Costco-DVD.jpg

Includes:

Parachute Compartment Necklace
Bag Clip with District 12 Seal
District 12 Nylon bag

Futureshop (Canada)

Exclusive District 12 Steelbook

M2198993_2.jpg

Exclusive Mockingjay Steelbook

m2198996_1.jpg

Regular edition Bonus: District 12 Keychain

FYE (In-store Only)

Reserve the Movie and get a free Tote bag. While Supplies Last

4kbhpx.jpg

Target

Exclusive Deluxe Edition with Bonus disc featuring forty-five minutes of exclusive content, and a video diary with stories from the Cornucopia and tribute biographies.

Walmart

Exclusive Mockingjay Pendant (see spoiler below) and Vudu Digital content: (The Stunts of the Hunger Game, Capitol Couture: The Styles of Panem)

0003139815563_300X300.jpg
0003139815563_AV1_300X300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I just picked up the Target special edition. It comes with 3 disks, all Blu Ray. It also comes with a digital copy. It reads as follows: "Code for either iTunes or Ultraviolet". I chose Ultraviolet since other people on my account can watch it. Then i used the same code with the iTunes redemption and it worked there as well. Evidently it's not one or the other despite the wording.

On the flip side it has a code for some hunger games facebook non-sense.

Got a Target Deluxe copy. They said they only got about a hundred in, but I went about an hour after they opened and they were putting them on the shelves. Planned on getting the BB one so I could get both the DVD and Blu Ray, but decided to get this for the bonus content..... Still thinking about getting the BB one though.

Got the Target Deluxe Edition BluRay today. Went to the store at about noon and I got one of the last 5 copies left on the shelf (possibly more in the back?) Either way, get it while you can.

holy geez..was just at my local BB, all the Exclusives were gone! reason I'm stating it is that had a 4-section floor stand. On each corner of each side, 5 shevles worth, is where they had the $30 copies, all gone. Now I realize only 2 may have fit in each slot, but to have gone thru about 40 since midnight..crazy.

[quote name='ssjmichael']What about Walmart?[/QUOTE]

I picked up the $23 Walmart Mocking Jay pendent edition. Is there anything different than the pendent???

Pre-ordered the collector's edition at Best Buy with an in-store pick up. Initially, I couldn't do it with the keychain. When I went to get my order today, I noticed they still had a few keychains on an end cap. Manager had no problem giving me one.

Got the Target exclusive blu version. Looking forward to watching this.

Store in Cape Giradeau, MO had probably 20+ left.

Looked at the WM version, was meh.

Ok someone with the target version can you tell me if the tribute's are like behind the scene's of the games or like real behind the scene's of the making of the movie? Its confusing and holding me up from buying it over other editions.

Anyone redeemed the UV copy yet? My wife bought it while she was on lunch and sent me a text with the code so I could watch it before she got off work but I can't find it as an option on the flixster site. Did they give a special link on the redemption paper or is it just not up yet?

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Anyone redeemed the UV copy yet? My wife bought it while she was on lunch and sent me a text with the code so I could watch it before she got off work but I can't find it as an option on the flixster site. Did they give a special link on the redemption paper or is it just not up yet?[/QUOTE]

www.thehungergamesmovie.com/redeem

hope this helps :p

not sure if this was answered or not. please answer

for those you redeemed there apple digital copy of the hunger games movie.

1. is it only SD version or both (HD and SD)
2. Do the iTunes extras come with it?

please let reply so i can decide whether to get the physical blu ray or not! thanks!

is it just me that thinks the bestbuy version is hideous?

I do not like the box at all, and the case the movies are in is very awakward.... the exclusive is kind of lame too. It is just glass with a picture behind it. Now if it was etched INTO the glass I would pick it up no questions.

The Target special edition is just so much nicer looking im leaving right now to go get it. (Hope they have it still )

[quote name='therealdanhill']Is this movie any good? If anyone wants to sell their digital copy let me know, I'd like to check it out![/QUOTE]
https://www.redbox.com/movies/the-hunger-games-blu-ray

Only $1.50/night. ;)

[quote name='cigaro']
The Target special edition is just so much nicer looking im leaving right now to go get it. (Hope they have it still )[/QUOTE]
Yeah same here, that is what I got. I usually go for target exclusives unless best buy had a steelbook.

[quote name='cigaro']is it just me that thinks the bestbuy version is hideous?

I do not like the box at all, and the case the movies are in is very awakward.... the exclusive is kind of lame too. It is just glass with a picture behind it. Now if it was etched INTO the glass I would pick it up no questions.

The Target special edition is just so much nicer looking im leaving right now to go get it. (Hope they have it still )[/QUOTE]

Yea, the size was a turn-off. The sleeves shut me down. I hate sleeves.

Ended up buying a Target version.

I didn't like BB's collectible either. You couldn't really tell what it was in the pictures, but I'm glad I didn't get suckered in for that.

I don't understand why the collectible is so thick.... Like the other guy said it would be cool if it was maybe etched in it or something. I actually like the box though.

[quote name='therealdanhill']Is this movie any good? If anyone wants to sell their digital copy let me know, I'd like to check it out![/QUOTE]

I felt the film was just....ok. It was very well done, but the story takes place on such a grand scale that it would be close to impossible for any film to truly do it justice. Given the constraints of film as opposed to books, I thought the movie was a good adaptation, but not a great one. There are quite a few fairly important plot points that are left on the cutting room floor, and the movie would definitely leave those unfamiliar with the source material asking a lot of questions at the end.

Another thing that hurts the film is that the book is very violent, particularly for something that's supposed to be fairly light adolescent reading material. The constraints of a PG-13 film being what they are however results in a movie that has a lot of wide or close up shots to minimize the violence and leave most of it to the viewers imagination. The director's decision to film a lot of the action sequences using handheld "Blair Witch Project" style shots was also a mistake, and many sequences end up being jumbled and distracted as a result.

Overall, it's not a bad movie, far from it, it's just not entirely the Hunger Games movie I would have liked to see. They certainly got the tone, visuals, and atmosphere of the book correct, but the adaptation of the story left a lot to be desired. I blame much of this on the director who used his creative license a little too liberally in many instances, and he has thankfully been replaced going forward. Based on what I've read however, it looks like the script for Catching Fire has been and is going through multiple re-writes, so I won't hold my breath.

I give it a 7/10 thumbs in the middle leaning up.

[quote name='gravel']I didn't like BB's collectible either. You couldn't really tell what it was in the pictures, but I'm glad I didn't get suckered in for that.[/QUOTE]

Heh, and after seeing Target's special edition in a Target store tonight, I'm really glad now that I just got the regular edition from Amazon. Saved a few bucks (I got it with a Gold Box discount), and more importantly, the digipack that the Target edition is in looks incredibly flimsy. I hate digipacks, especially when they're not sturdy enough to stay square. Would have been nice to have the extra disc, but I'd have probably only watched it once if at all, so whatever.

[quote name='spmahn']I felt the film was just....ok. It was very well done, but the story takes place on such a grand scale that it would be close to impossible for any film to truly do it justice. Given the constraints of film as opposed to books, I thought the movie was a good adaptation, but not a great one. There are quite a few fairly important plot points that are left on the cutting room floor, and the movie would definitely leave those unfamiliar with the source material asking a lot of questions at the end.

Another thing that hurts the film is that the book is very violent, particularly for something that's supposed to be fairly light adolescent reading material. The constraints of a PG-13 film being what they are however results in a movie that has a lot of wide or close up shots to minimize the violence and leave most of it to the viewers imagination. The director's decision to film a lot of the action sequences using handheld "Blair Witch Project" style shots was also a mistake, and many sequences end up being jumbled and distracted as a result.

Overall, it's not a bad movie, far from it, it's just not entirely the Hunger Games movie I would have liked to see. They certainly got the tone, visuals, and atmosphere of the book correct, but the adaptation of the story left a lot to be desired. I blame much of this on the director who used his creative license a little too liberally in many instances, and he has thankfully been replaced going forward. Based on what I've read however, it looks like the script for Catching Fire has been and is going through multiple re-writes, so I won't hold my breath.

I give it a 7/10 thumbs in the middle leaning up.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, i was suckered into best but version because i had $10 in RZ certs....regret my choice over target version. Though the wife is happy

[quote name='shadowkast']Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, i was suckered into best but version because i had $10 in RZ certs....regret my choice over target version. Though the wife is happy[/QUOTE]

I picked up the Target Set myself, I can't be fooled by tchotchkes and knick knacks anymore, I have too much junk as it is!

Is Amazon for about $19.99 with Digital Copy the cheapest w/ Digital right now? I do not care about extras, trinkets, etc. I'm just going to take out the disc and put in a wallet and put he case in a rubbermaid in the basement. The digital copy is nice for on the go, Apple TV, Quick Access when remote, etc.

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, and after seeing Target's special edition in a Target store tonight, I'm really glad now that I just got the regular edition from Amazon. Saved a few bucks (I got it with a Gold Box discount), and more importantly, the digipack that the Target edition is in looks incredibly flimsy. I hate digipacks, especially when they're not sturdy enough to stay square. Would have been nice to have the extra disc, but I'd have probably only watched it once if at all, so whatever.[/QUOTE]

I was actually surprised at how flimsy it was and kind of disappointed. But they probably figure why make it sturdy when you can make it cheap.

Scored a 2 disc blu ray for $15.79 at best buy today with a pm. They had tons of the ce and it didn't seem like anything special. Glad I held off

[quote name='tahoesnowboarder']not sure if this was answered or not. please answer

for those you redeemed there apple digital copy of the hunger games movie.

1. is it only SD version or both (HD and SD)
2. Do the iTunes extras come with it?

please let reply so i can decide whether to get the physical blu ray or not! thanks![/QUOTE]

WHAT!?!?!? I thought iTunes digital copies were always in SD! I've been giving my DC codes to my friends cause they were worthless to me if they were in SD. Is there a list anywhere of which blurays comes with the HD versions?

another ? for those who redeemed the digital copy of the movie

1. is the vudu ultraviolet only? (not flixster version?)
2. what is the quality on it as well (sd or hd?)?

I think the best deal I could find is at Krogers of all places. Its $20 buy comes with a free coke, bag of chex mix, and a razer. All those items add up to about $8.

Also for those wondering, the rental versions do no include the second disc. So if you really want to see that 2 hour making of you need to buy it.

[quote name='Healingduck']I redeemed mine and it said there was only the SD version.
But the iTunes version has SD, HD, and the extras.[/QUOTE]

UV is SD only on PC and iPhone. You do get the HDX version, just confirmed on PS3, and VUDU has 3 free featurettes, as well, FYI.

I always go for the UV, since I can share my account within my fan and friends. I trade the blu back in immediately to MovieStop and preorder the next flick. Yes, I have a crazy UV account ;)

I can confirm as well that the iTunes digital copy is in HD via download + Apple TV streaming. If only more digital copies came this way!

I can confirm that Hunger Games is HD on the Xbox360 as well through Vudu. Don't know about the 3 features as I didn't get the Wal Mart one but the code with the Best Buy one showed up as HD when launched from my 360.

Sorry to be a pain and ask such a dumb question but what is the difference between the UV codes and the old-fashion digital copy codes? Also for those of you that mention the Vudu service how do the codes work with that or are you guys just renting the movie from there?

[quote name='ajh2298']Sorry to be a pain and ask such a dumb question but what is the difference between the UV codes and the old-fashion digital copy codes? Also for those of you that mention the Vudu service how do the codes work with that or are you guys just renting the movie from there?[/QUOTE]

I redeemed mine today and here's how it worked:

You are given one code. That code works for both iTunes & UV so you get TWO digital copies if you want: one iTunes copy & one UV copy. You redeem that code separately with each account so you could potentially sell/swap codes if you wanted one digital version & not the other.

* ON iTUNES...you get SD version, HD version and some random iTunes exclusive special features. For use on iOS devices and AppleTV.

* UlTRAVIOLET...once redeemed, you link it with your Vudu account. You receive SD, HD & HDX (1080p stream). This is tied to your account for good so it is NOT just a rental. You can view the movie on PC, Android devices, XBOX, PS3 and certain BluRay and Internet-ready TVs. I think it probably works with Google TV too but i don't remember off the top of my head. Also, if you don't already have a Vudu account, you will also receive a bonus $5.99 account credit once you link a device to your account (like a PS3 or BluRay player).

And to specifically answer your question: other digital copies have been either one or the other. The fact that you can choose between iTunes & UV (and in this case, get both) is great.

If you pre-ordered through Amazon they gave you a copy in your Amazon video account as well since they couldn't guarantee a Saturday delivery for everyone.

I saw it in my account at 12:01 AM Saturday morning. I haven't played it to see if it's a rental or permanent video. Hopefully it stays in my account because I prefer to use Amazon for streaming as well.

[quote name='aaronmills']I redeemed mine today and here's how it worked:

You are given one code. That code works for both iTunes & UV so you get TWO digital copies if you want: one iTunes copy & one UV copy. You redeem that code separately with each account so you could potentially sell/swap codes if you wanted one digital version & not the other.

* ON iTUNES...you get SD version, HD version and some random iTunes exclusive special features. For use on iOS devices and AppleTV.

* UlTRAVIOLET...once redeemed, you link it with your Vudu account. You receive SD, HD & HDX (1080p stream). This is tied to your account for good so it is NOT just a rental. You can view the movie on PC, Android devices, XBOX, PS3 and certain BluRay and Internet-ready TVs. I think it probably works with Google TV too but i don't remember off the top of my head. Also, if you don't already have a Vudu account, you will also receive a bonus $5.99 account credit once you link a device to your account (like a PS3 or BluRay player).

And to specifically answer your question: other digital copies have been either one or the other. The fact that you can choose between iTunes & UV (and in this case, get both) is great.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So if my TV has a VuDu app I would be able to watch it from there whenever I wanted meaning I would or could sale off the blu-ray or just try and purchase the UV code from e-bay or something, correct?

p.s.
Are all movies with a UV code linkable to the VuDu service?

bread's done
Back