The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='SteelSD']Well, I posted a thread about this at the end of Feb., but maybe this thread will garner better responses:

While at a semi-local flea market, I found the following item:

cb1.jpg

That's a Pelican Codebreaker D.J. for the PS1 and PS2 systems. What does it do? Well, apparently, it allows the user to load a CD player skin on the PS1 and/or PS2 and then adds animated backgrounds when the CD is played. So, in short, it doesn't do much that I know of. But what I know of it isn't much either. It does come with an additional CD soundtrack compilation that includes songs from the Final Fantasy, Virtual Fighter, and Resident Evil series of games. Here are pics of the discs:

cb3.jpg

cb4.jpg

What I'm looking for is some expert information as to rarity, additional uses, and potential value for the set. I can't find real info or value on it anywhere. The one place (not Amazon) I did show it formerly in stock had a price of $99.99 listed. I'm assuming that it's a very rare find and don't plan on selling it, but I'd sure like to know more about exactly what I have.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could provide an assist!
[/QUOTE]
ive seen this before. they're probably rare considering the additional content included. but i wouldn't hold my breath in the water for it though because its a compilation. unless theres a rare track only available on this disc, then yeah the value of that would be even more.

as for the codebreaker itself, it is pretty valuable right now because they don't make these anymore. its not because they dont want to, its because retailers like target or bby or tru doesn't want to carry them anymore.

if its a codebreaker for the ps1, i'd say around $40-$50. for the ps2, it usually depends on the version. looks like yours is an older version since its like a transition item since it supports the ps1. probably $10-$20 or more.

the only cheat system being made right now is the action replay for the ds. those will probably be made for a while because kids use them to get extra pokemons for their pokemon games.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Guess I'm gonna have to find a second copy to actually play, ha.
Since it's apparently not completely unique (I'd be amazed if it was), I guess I don't need to be actively spreading knowledge of its existence, then, at least (which is good, because I have no clue how I would do that).

I was curious about club nintendo stuff, do you think it'll increase in worth over time? I don't much care for swag, and was going to include my mario hat with that lot of stuff I posted about a page or two back, but I'm now wondering if I should keep it.

[quote name='eastshore4']I was curious about club nintendo stuff, do you think it'll increase in worth over time? I don't much care for swag, and was going to include my mario hat with that lot of stuff I posted about a page or two back, but I'm now wondering if I should keep it.[/QUOTE]
a few years later maybe. that stupid recycled hat from japan, the one they gave away last year, will probably not be worth anything. you can message me in 10 years and tell me you sold that for $100 though.. :bouncy:

[quote name='warmsignal']NTSC Stadium Events sealed for the NES... is this rare? I have about 15 of these just sitting around.[/QUOTE]

You didn't even try.

Not even a little.

[quote name='warmsignal']NTSC Stadium Events sealed for the NES... is this rare? I have about 15 of these just sitting around.[/QUOTE]
Nope, their not worth the plastic there wrapped in...

you like being called a dick? or is your name dick?

This isn't a game, but does anyone know if this thing is rare or worth anything at all? I can't find any history of it online and there isn't any engraving on the back with a brand or something.

2uo28tj.jpg

[quote name='RoadDogg']This isn't a game, but does anyone know if this thing is rare or worth anything at all? I can't find any history of it online and there isn't any engraving on the back with a brand or something.

2uo28tj.jpg
[/QUOTE]is this a promotional item for a 007 game? goldeneye maybe? what does it say in the back.

[quote name='RoadDogg']This isn't a game, but does anyone know if this thing is rare or worth anything at all? I can't find any history of it online and there isn't any engraving on the back with a brand or something.

2uo28tj.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's cool. It looks like some kind of a promo item usually given to retailers or maybe at E3 but I can't find anything on it... it looks too nice to be a bootleg.

I know it is for Goldeneye, I just can't figure out where I got it from. The back is totally blank so I can't figure it out. It isn't extremely high quality, but its better then some cheap knock off would be. I just don't get why they don't have a Nintendo/Rare/MGM or something marking on it. I wouldn't have bought something like this so I would have had to of won it in some kind of contest or gotten it free some how.

The battery is dead so I was going to replace it, I will have to see if there are any markings inside it.

[quote name='zlatour']I am 100% sure I saw that watch in a Sears catalog many years ago when they were also selling GoldenEye[/QUOTE]

I was actually going to suggest if it may have been from one of those Nintendo Power catalogs... I know they used to sell lots of Zelda and Mario watches. I remember those since I always wanted to buy one.

[quote name='zlatour']I am 100% sure I saw that watch in a Sears catalog many years ago when they were also selling GoldenEye[/QUOTE]

I guess someone bought it for me then. Still kind of weird that I can find no traces of it anywhere online.

they use to sell these oddball items back then not to promote the game, but just to cash in on a popular game. they had disposable cameras for the n64, pens and other things i cant remember.

but usually those things are made cheap. most of these items didnt really survived and/or have gotten lost somewhere they think they can sell these. i used to go to these salvage stores back in the day and often see these items.

check out the old sears circulars.. most likely if these were from sears then youll see them advertised there. there was a site that had alot of scans of older sears circulars dating back to the NES and gameboy days. very cool to look at.

it makes you wish you bought a castlevania legends sealed and saved it for 20 years so that you can sell it for $700-$800.

If you ever come across that site with old sears circulars I would love to dig through it. I can't seem to find any sites similar to that though, every I find only has really old ads (1930's) or a sears boxer add where you can see a guys wang...

i wonder if there's a full uncensored version thrill kill box copy somewhere. now that was a one of a kind game. i was lucky to play that version years back, some guy had it on a burned cd on his modded ps1. damn ea. wish they would release it someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RoadDogg']Did they turn Thrill Kill into some Wu Tang game instead?[/QUOTE]

No. They went on to use the engine they developed for Thrill Kill in a subsequent Wu Tang game, but the Thrill Kill game itself was shelved entirely.

[quote name='True Hitoare']Not quite. XP
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa44/True_Hitoare/MPTMisprintDark.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa44/True_Hitoare/MPTMisprintBright.jpg

Camera's kinda junky, can try to take more pictures if you're looking for a specific angle or something. Still in the shrink wrap, of course.
(I suppose I was technically holding it upside-down for those pictures, the back cover lines up with the Wii bar, ESRB rating, etc.)[/QUOTE]
It's like the I on masterpiece on the back of the FF7 cover.

[quote name='time2play']i wonder if there's a full uncensored version thrill kill box copy somewhere. now that was a one of a kind game. i was lucky to play that version years back, some guy had it on a burned cd on his modded ps1. damn ea. wish they would release it someday.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause:Someone else with a Thrill Kill avatar, FINALLY!! But yeah, the game was shelved by EA for being 'too violent' and I think it happened about 2 weeks prior to it's scheduled release.

Damn you Richard Branson for selling Virgin Interactive to fuckin' EA at that time.:bomb:

I actually still have an issue of Tips & Tricks magazine from 1998 with a full moves/combo list inside for the game.

However, from everyone I've spoken to who played the game it supposedly really sucked, so maybe it was for the best that it was cancelled.

I DID play(and currently own a disc only copy of)the Wu Tang game they made using the engine from TK and it's so-so. If you're a fan of the WTC though, it's decent since it has their music all throughout I believe.

My local Target had a copy of the Purple SE Mario DSi. It was MSRP, but I can't help but say I'm tempted. Did I make the right decision in letting it go or should I go back and pick it up? (I already have a giant Purple DS, Zelda DS Lite and I'm planning on getting a DSi XL when it comes in some colors that don't suck)

I also saw the Assassin's Creed 2: Master Assassin's Edition at Gamestop. I already played/beat it, but is it worth picking up?

[quote name='KillerRamen']
I also saw the Assassin's Creed 2: Master Assassin's Edition at Gamestop. I already played/beat it, but is it worth picking up?[/QUOTE]
is it for the 360? if not then dont pick it up.

[quote name='rainking187']Why do you say that? Is the 360 version a lot rarer or something?[/QUOTE]
its worth more. it is also harder to find.. but at $80 i believe they are still out there.

is there an actual list of rare import games? theres this one game thats at the tip of my tongue and i can't remember... all i remember was it was in a HUGE box.. ps2 i believe.. japanese import . i'm thinking it was released around 1999

one that comes to mind is Ibara for the Ps2. its a shmup and it goes for insane amounts of money. last year i saw one at around $600 for a sealed copy. theres one right now on ebay at $188.. hes one of the guys from Sealed game heaven.

here are used copies
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...1&_okw=ibara+ps2&LH_Complete=1&_fsct=&guest=1

if youre in nyc and if you want to see one in person, head down to videogamesnewyork down at 6th st in nyc. someone traded one of these (maybe the guy needs some crack money).

[quote name='True Hitoare']Not sure what you mean...
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/1/197341_88285_back.jpg
What about it?[/QUOTE]

For one of the black label print runs of the game, the "i" in masterpiece is offset above the word itself (see allyourblood's post above). Because of the error, a copy with the offset "i" used to be worth a fairly significant premium versus the regular copy. From my own experience, I've run across nearly as many of the variant than the other (correct) black label version. However, variant collectors want it and FFVII is a high-value, it not actually rare, game. Many people don't even know the variant exists, so they price each black label version equally. Because of that an astute observer used to be able to grab one for the price of the "correct" version and flip it to a variant collector for nearly twice what they paid.

IMHO, the FFVII Greatest Hits copy variant with the double Sephiroth interior cover art is far cooler and far FAR more difficult to find.

[quote name='SteelSD']For one of the black label print runs of the game, the "i" in masterpiece is offset above the word itself (see allyourblood's post above). Because of the error, a copy with the offset "i" used to be worth a fairly significant premium versus the regular copy. From my own experience, I've run across nearly as many of the variant than the other (correct) black label version. However, variant collectors want it and FFVII is a high-value, it not actually rare, game. Many people don't even know the variant exists, so they price each black label version equally. Because of that an astute observer used to be able to grab one for the price of the "correct" version and flip it to a variant collector for nearly twice what they paid.

IMHO, the FFVII Greatest Hits copy variant with the double Sephiroth interior cover art is far cooler and far FAR more difficult to find.[/QUOTE]you can still get $10 or so more if you advertise its the misprint.

[quote name='darkslime']you can still get $10 or so more if you advertise its the misprint.[/QUOTE]

Yep, but the good old days of selling the normal version for $70 and clearing $100 for the "masterp ece" misprint are long gone. I used to gobble up any copies at @$50 or less, but I won't even touch them at the $35 price point right now, and I run across them pretty frequently.

And I'm still surprised that the GH double-Sephiroth misprint doesn't fetch a huge premium, but we collectors are a fickle bunch and don't much like green labels on our PS1 games I guess...

thanks to psn rereleasing ffvii for $10, its much cheaper than a used copy of the original version which fetched around $80-$120 for a used copy before. its lingering around $70 if you do it really good. the 2 recent FF games for the playstation platforms, dissidia and ffxiii did no spike in the value. it did raise some value for some of the older ps2 games though.

[quote name='SteelSD']Yep, but the good old days of selling the normal version for $70 and clearing $100 for the "masterp ece" misprint are long gone. I used to gobble up any copies at @$50 or less, but I won't even touch them at the $35 price point right now, and I run across them pretty frequently.

And I'm still surprised that the GH double-Sephiroth misprint doesn't fetch a huge premium, but we collectors are a fickle bunch and don't much like green labels on our PS1 games I guess...[/QUOTE]

Indeed, we are :) I have my copy of FFVII (barely played it though it was one of two games I bought brand new when I *finally* picked up a PSOne). I recall seeing MGS and thinking I had to own this console someday.

Anyways, my FFVII is a GH copy but it seems even Sony thought at some point that the GH green was simply ugly looking. The exterior of mine is nearly all original black release -- the only indication that it is a GH is along the spine of the case; there's a small part of the spine that says Greatest Hits. My guess is that this release was in between the black release and Sony trying to figure out how to design the Greatest Hits labeled titles. :)

I've not seen any other GH games that look like this. I suppose eventually Sony decided to go ahead and label the front with the GH green, too -- much to most collectors' dismay.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Indeed, we are :) I have my copy of FFVII (barely played it though it was one of two games I bought brand new when I *finally* picked up a PSOne). I recall seeing MGS and thinking I had to own this console someday.

Anyways, my FFVII is a GH copy but it seems even Sony thought at some point that the GH green was simply ugly looking. The exterior of mine is nearly all original black release -- the only indication that it is a GH is along the spine of the case; there's a small part of the spine that says Greatest Hits. My guess is that this release was in between the black release and Sony trying to figure out how to design the Greatest Hits labeled titles. :)

I've not seen any other GH games that look like this. I suppose eventually Sony decided to go ahead and label the front with the GH green, too -- much to most collectors' dismay.[/QUOTE]

Y'know, that's interesting because I've run across a couple copies like that at used game stores. I just assumed that the copy the store took in had a cracked case and, in the process of replacing them, mixed the GH and BL front and back artwork up. Weird.

[quote name='SteelSD']Y'know, that's interesting because I've run across a couple copies like that at used game stores. I just assumed that the copy the store took in had a cracked case and, in the process of replacing them, mixed the GH and BL front and back artwork up. Weird.[/QUOTE]

Yeah -- I can see why some people would think that. I bought mine brand new from BB a looong time ago, and it would seem like that could be true but then the side of the case isn't a typical GH design. Only the first part of the spine has a small GH indication at the top, the rest of the spine is black (like a normal release).

Again, my guess is that these were the titles Sony releases right in between the black releases and the traditional GH titles. I wish Sony just kept him this way -- the total green on the front and the side in regular GH releases was horrible :p

That said, at least the GH editions for PS3 look rather nice.

[quote name='phear3d']thanks to psn rereleasing ffvii for $10, its much cheaper than a used copy of the original version which fetched around $80-$120 for a used copy before. its lingering around $70 if you do it really good. the 2 recent FF games for the playstation platforms, dissidia and ffxiii did no spike in the value. it did raise some value for some of the older ps2 games though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as a collector, I wasn't at all happy about the digital releases via the PSN. I mean, it's cool to be able to play FFVII via the PSP system, but Sony gimped a few secondary market values with their digital releases. Suikoden plummeted, but has somewhat recovered. A physical copy of Castlevania Chronicles is a pretty tough get, but dropped about 20 bucks in the secondary market when put on the PSN digitally. Ditto Silent Hill and a more extreme drop for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (although the PS3 physical case w/card version is likely the most rare "normal" PS3 US release).

To Sony's credit, they haven't released most of the more rare valuable games (Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II, Tactics Ogre, Brigandine) digitally. If they do, games like that will still likely carry a decent premium due to actual rarity rather than simple demand (like FFVII), but I won't be a happy camper.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind if Sony would produce English-language digital ports of some of the more rare non-English release games. I'd like to play me some Harmful Park!

[quote name='romeogbs19']Yeah -- I can see why some people would think that. I bought mine brand new from BB a looong time ago, and it would seem like that could be true but then the side of the case isn't a typical GH design. Only the first part of the spine has a small GH indication at the top, the rest of the spine is black (like a normal release).

Again, my guess is that these were the titles Sony releases right in between the black releases and the traditional GH titles. I wish Sony just kept him this way -- the total green on the front and the side in regular GH releases was horrible :p

That said, at least the GH editions for PS3 look rather nice.[/QUOTE]

Hmn. I'll have to check out some cases. Not sure if I've noticed that variance in spine art. Good info.

I dunno about the PS3 GH releases. The new ones are decent-enough looking with the PS3 logo re-design, but the initial GH versions' cover art looked horrible and, IMHO, just kind of thrown together from a design perspective. I actually like finding alternate cover art for games online, but it's hard to match some of the cooler stuff up with the red cases. Oh well.

what was the name of that game that was an early release for the ps2...might have had "shadow" in the name? while i was playing heavy rain, i was reminded of it, as they have similar gameplay. anyway, all i distinctly remember was the villain homunculus in the game. i haven't seen the game in years, so i'm assuming it's somewhat rare.

[quote name='hand 21']what was the name of that game that was an early release for the ps2...might have had "shadow" in the name? while i was playing heavy rain, i was reminded of it, as they have similar gameplay. anyway, all i distinctly remember was the villain homunculus in the game. i haven't seen the game in years, so i'm assuming it's somewhat rare.[/QUOTE]

I think you're thinking of Shadow of Destiny. It's not the most common game, but I wouldn't call it rare, and it's certainly not valuable.

bread's done
Back