The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='Segasonic01']I'll return it then. $38.xx seems to be a bit much, & I know I'll find one for cheaper at a pawn or the flea market one day. And besides, the store Im returning it to just got in a PS2 Network Adapter ;)[/QUOTE]
even better :applause:. i hope they dont charge you the same amount for the adapter.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Return Fire was cancelled for the Saturn.[/QUOTE]
maybe hes got the bootleg copy. yeah, should be rarez :)

[quote name='RudyPants']Ok - this is not really a game but I saw this on Craigslist and I wanted to know if anybody had ever heard of it:

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/ele/1188589383.html

It's an NES / Sharp television combo. The seller says that only a few were produced and he's selling it for $225.

I'm not really interested, but it definitely caught my attention. Anybody know anything about these?[/QUOTE]

I've heard of it, though I thought it was a different brand tv with it. Outside of having heard about them, I don't know much about them though.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Are there really not that many rare/valuable original xbox games excluding obvious ones (Steel Battallion, Fatal Frames, etc)?

I was trying to do a little research on some but really haven't found much (and I am mostly talking about opened/loose ones more so than sealed)[/QUOTE]

Add Futurama and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 to that list, though neither really goes for over $30.

I had the two I mentioned in my Xbox collection for a LOOOONG time.

FYI: Futurama for the Xbox can be bought for $15 USED at FYE if you can find it. That's where I picked up my copy I had.

I believe Psychonauts also goes for a good buck. I happen to have a SEALED copy I picked up from Kmart about 2-3 years ago for $3 sitting in my closet. I never did complete it before selling my opened copy, which I think I ALSO bought from a different Kmart for $3.

I still want Steel Battalion, just to say I played it(much like Thrill Kill for the PS1, which was cancelled and never officially released), but the closest store with it in stock is a GS in central NJ.

So unfortunately, I guess I'm not going to be buying it anytime soon.

Thing is, two or three Gamestop stores around here had a couple of the bundles EACH up until a few months ago. But my Xbox was in storage until I had to ship out my PS3 for repairs in late April.

[quote name='RudyPants']Ok - this is not really a game but I saw this on Craigslist and I wanted to know if anybody had ever heard of it:

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/ele/1188589383.html

It's an NES / Sharp television combo. The seller says that only a few were produced and he's selling it for $225.

I'm not really interested, but it definitely caught my attention. Anybody know anything about these?[/QUOTE]
It was like a kiosk demo in some store when the NES first came statside. Very htf a working one.

[quote name='Segasonic01']It was like a kiosk demo in some store when the NES first came statside. Very htf a working one.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured. Definitely a rare find.

whats with the inflated nes prices?? 4 years ago I had a few chances to get stadium events for around $200 on ebay, now it goes for $1000?? maybe its finally time to offload my sealed action 52 :)

I've got two questions, hopefully they can both get answered.

First, does anyone think sealed copies of Professor Layton & The Curious Village will garner worth later down the road? Is it worth keeping a copy sealed?

Second, does anyone know (roughly) the print run of Steal Princess? To my knowledge, no stores are carrying it and it's online only, so I can only assume it's going to be one of those pricey Atlus titles later down the road.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I've got one.
How about the Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Limited edition. Still Sealed.
Also Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 that came with the game. Still Sealed.

Oh yeah, the MGS3 Subsistence LE plastic packaging has a small opening on the front because it's signed by Hideo Kojima on the cardboard. Is this rare.. and how much would it be worth?[/QUOTE]

Probably around the same price of my near mint Snatcher signed by Kojima.

[quote name='Fayt13']I can't seem to find a solid price for a sealed Tales of the Abyss. I've seen it go from anywhere from $40-$65.[/QUOTE]

I think you answered your own question. Because of a lot outside factors, most games have a wide variance in price.

[quote name='SL4IN']I've got two questions, hopefully they can both get answered.

First, does anyone think sealed copies of Professor Layton & The Curious Village will garner worth later down the road? Is it worth keeping a copy sealed?

Second, does anyone know (roughly) the print run of Steal Princess? To my knowledge, no stores are carrying it and it's online only, so I can only assume it's going to be one of those pricey Atlus titles later down the road.[/QUOTE]

Professor Layton - As long as, it doesn't become one of those ugly cover DS reprints (Hotel Dusk, Castlevania: DoS). Originals will be worth a bit more, but over a shorter time horizon, I can show just as many examples that the reprinted version for an out of print game will be approximately the same value as a 'white label' version. Honestly, I think it's a bit early to speculate. The game is still easily obtainable.

Steal Princess - These days, you can't use the "just buy Atlus and it will go up" rule of thumb. GQD, random Atlus reprints and some poorly reviewed Atlus releases have destroyed that idea. The reviews for this title are in the sixes, so I wouldn't bet on high value. Unless, you were willing to hold on to it for a really long time. Eggs of Steel from Atlus is finally picking up some steam for sealed copies ($28 to $55), but it took over a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys should see the prices for marvel vs capcom 2. what a shame. if anyone here is looking to find a copy for less than $30, its probably possible to do that now. the release or announcement of marvel vs capcom 2 for the xbla and psn has really hit the physical format of the game very hard. i would have to say that alot of people didnt really care much about it until the magazines hit the shelves. i just received my copy of game informer and i think i might have read a small bit about it.

looking at VGPC the game had a dramatic drop
http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/game/playstation-2/marvel-vs-capcom-2

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Add Futurama and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 to that list, though neither really goes for over $30.

I had the two I mentioned in my Xbox collection for a LOOOONG time.

FYI: Futurama for the Xbox can be bought for $15 USED at FYE if you can find it. That's where I picked up my copy I had.

I believe Psychonauts also goes for a good buck. I happen to have a SEALED copy I picked up from Kmart about 2-3 years ago for $3 sitting in my closet. I never did complete it before selling my opened copy, which I think I ALSO bought from a different Kmart for $3.

I still want Steel Battalion, just to say I played it(much like Thrill Kill for the PS1, which was cancelled and never officially released), but the closest store with it in stock is a GS in central NJ.

So unfortunately, I guess I'm not going to be buying it anytime soon.

Thing is, two or three Gamestop stores around here had a couple of the bundles EACH up until a few months ago. But my Xbox was in storage until I had to ship out my PS3 for repairs in late April.[/QUOTE]

I got a minty copy of Baldurs Gate 2 for $10 :whistle2:D about a month ago. It has held up in value for the ps2 as well right?

[quote name='Fayt13']I can't seem to find a solid price for a sealed Tales of the Abyss. I've seen it go from anywhere from $40-$65.[/QUOTE]

That should tell you that there is no solid price, the market for that game is volatile. I would say $60 is probably a good average for a sealed copy last I checked, but prices do seem to be falling.

Is the Mac Version of Orion Burger rare? I can't find any listings anywhere, and I'm at work, so Googling isn't helping me (since most gaming sites are blocked) though I see snippets of what looks like that it is indeed rare.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I got a minty copy of Baldurs Gate 2 for $10 :whistle2:D about a month ago. It has held up in value for the ps2 as well right?[/QUOTE]

I believe it's far more valuable on the PS2, as are most multiplatform rarities of that generation.

[quote name='phear3d']you guys should see the prices for marvel vs capcom 2. what a shame. if anyone here is looking to find a copy for less than $30, its probably possible to do that now. the release or announcement of marvel vs capcom 2 for the xbla and psn has really hit the physical format of the game very hard. i would have to say that alot of people didnt really care much about it until the magazines hit the shelves. i just received my copy of game informer and i think i might have read a small bit about it.

looking at VGPC the game had a dramatic drop
http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/game/playstation-2/marvel-vs-capcom-2[/QUOTE]

I wrote an article about that last month (HERE). The prices on the PS2, Xbox, and Dreamcast versions dropped a ton after this announcement. They have continued dropping too.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Thanks.. Good chance for flipping right there. Nice

Also, of course its rare, but is 45 a good price on a mint condition black label final fantasy 7?[/QUOTE]

It is not rare when you consider they made millions of copies, just highly sort after. It is not bad if you are looking for a copy to play.

[quote name='62t']It is not rare when you consider they made millions of copies, just highly sort after. It is not bad if you are looking for a copy to play.[/QUOTE]

not trying to be the "spelling police" but the word is "sought" as in "sought after". if it was me, i'd want to know.

as you were, folks. ;)

Anyway, $45 for complete black label FF7 is a good price, if you want to keep it. For flipping, well, it'll still work, but your profit margin won't be all that great.

[quote name='Fayt13']Darn, I was hoping a sealed copy of Tales of the Abyss would still appreciate from $60.[/QUOTE]

It has appreciated... the game retailed for $50 (or maybe $40?) originally.:lol:

I would honestly hold on to it. It should become more valuable in a year or two.

Just throwing this out there , i have a copy of X-com : ufo defense PS1 longbox. Is this game a highly sought after game & if so how much could i possibly get for it?? On a side note found my storage box of PS1 games in the back of the closet last week , and this one was on top.

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']Just throwing this out there , i have a copy of X-com : ufo defense PS1 longbox. Is this game a highly sought after game & if so how much could i possibly get for it?? On a side note found my storage box of PS1 games in the back of the closet last week , and this one was on top.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for sp. / grammar, I'm in a rush.

It's one of the more highly sought after titles.

I've seen them complete as low as $50, and as high as $100+ for MINT (no scratches AT ALL, no bends on manual, long box is in great shape) copies.

Sealed ones can go from $80 on up to $150+.

[quote name='phear3d']only $45? FFVII GH - $75+sh http://cgi.ebay.com/Final-Fantasy-7-FF7 ... tsupported
thats for the GH. there are other similar auctions too. if you can get more, then why not. your auction might sit for awhile but at least you know you'll be getting more.[/QUOTE]

Is getting a single disc much of a hassle? I have a GH version, but it's missing the third disc. It was given to me by a friend, but he didn't know it was incomplete. He hasn't been able to find the other disc, so I was thinking of just picking up the third to have a complete copy.

[quote name='Shady3011']Is getting a single disc much of a hassle? I have a GH version, but it's missing the third disc. It was given to me by a friend, but he didn't know it was incomplete. He hasn't been able to find the other disc, so I was thinking of just picking up the third to have a complete copy.[/QUOTE]

you can just buy it on ebay.

[quote name='62t']you can just buy it on ebay.[/QUOTE]

I'd figure as much, but I was kind of wondering what the going rate for it was. I probably wouldn't bother if it were near a third of what a complete copy goes for.

[quote name='phear3d']it will be but not right now.[/QUOTE]

They're reprinting DDS2? Where'd you hear about this? I'm actually kinda surprised they haven't already...

it wont be reprinted for awhile i dont think. there really isnt that much of a demand for it. though the game sells for $90 right now :)

[quote name='As I Bleed']is cubivore for the gamecube rare?[/QUOTE]

It's uncommon but not worth much.

Greatest Hits FF7 selling for $75 is a thing of the past. The game was just announced for PSN (by the ESRB; but remember what happened with MVC2?). I sold a copy for $51 yesterday and was extremely pleased.

The individual discs can be gotten for pretty cheap though.

Yeah, I'm glad I unloaded the extra FFVII I had.

This is off topic, but I don't want to make an entirely new topic for this-- I bought a game off of Amazon which was supposed to be factory sealed-- Spirit of Speed for Dreamcast-- and it seems like a reseal job. The only seam is one that runs through the back of the case, in the middle. Manual looks like it has a crease on the left by the staples, but that may not be proof of anything. Mostly every DC game I ever bought had Y-seals. I asked the guy and he said that since it has the seam on the back, then it makes it factory sealed. Any ideas?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I'm glad I unloaded the extra FFVII I had.

This is off topic, but I don't want to make an entirely new topic for this-- I bought a game off of Amazon which was supposed to be factory sealed-- Spirit of Speed for Dreamcast-- and it seems like a reseal job. The only seam is one that runs through the back of the case, in the middle. Manual looks like it has a crease on the left by the staples, but that may not be proof of anything. Mostly every DC game I ever bought had Y-seals. I asked the guy and he said that since it has the seam on the back, then it makes it factory sealed. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, some Dreamcast games also had the legitimate cheap shrinkwrap that you sometimes see on modern DS, PS2, 360 (think Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon), or Gamecube games today. In fact, the only games that I've never seen have the cheap shrinkwrap are PS3 games.

I had about a dozen titles with line-seal shrinkwrap. Some of these included MK Gold Hot Fix Version and Capcom Vs. SNK. The contents were all brand new.

On the other hand, from one eBay seller, I purchased three line-style titles and found out they were all illegitimate. Those were Marvel Vs. Capcom, Dead or Alive 2 and something else. I ended up getting my money back, but not without complications.

I haven't opened it up yet, so I will do that-- kind of wanted to keep it sealed since it's a crappy game and I have no interest on playing it. But it's fairly valueless anyway, so I'll crack it open. Good to know that some DC games didn't have Y-folds-- I was trying to remember all of my purchases since half of my collection was sealed at one point. The games I have left sealed are the Y-Fold style seals.

I'm glad I'm not in the predicatment of "Is this sealed or resealed" with some game of actual value. Worst case scenario, I overpaid a buck or two for a resealed game.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I haven't opened it up yet, so I will do that-- kind of wanted to keep it sealed since it's a crappy game and I have no interest on playing it. But it's fairly valueless anyway, so I'll crack it open. Good to know that some DC games didn't have Y-folds-- I was trying to remember all of my purchases since half of my collection was sealed at one point. The games I have left sealed are the Y-Fold style seals.

I'm glad I'm not in the predicatment of "Is this sealed or resealed" with some game of actual value. Worst case scenario, I overpaid a buck or two for a resealed game.[/QUOTE]

Some PS1 games had the heat shrinkwrap too.. Vanguard Bandits and Silhouette Mirage are two that I know of (might have been a Working Designs thing).

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
This is off topic, but I don't want to make an entirely new topic for this-- I bought a game off of Amazon which was supposed to be factory sealed-- Spirit of Speed for Dreamcast-- and it seems like a reseal job. The only seam is one that runs through the back of the case, in the middle. Manual looks like it has a crease on the left by the staples, but that may not be proof of anything. Mostly every DC game I ever bought had Y-seals. I asked the guy and he said that since it has the seam on the back, then it makes it factory sealed. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

that's just how SoS was sealed, from the factory. here's a couple shots of my sealed SoS and Wetrix, both of which use that cheaper sealing method. Spirit of Speed has a tear/opening on the back because i peeled off one of those RF security tags.

wetspeed.jpg

wetspeed00.jpg

bread's done
Back