The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

You have to ask yourself what is rare? In terms of availability? In terms of resale value?

We have no way of knowing number of copies printed because publishers rarely disclose those numbers, so we go by demand and price on ebay.

Okami, not rare, more like... uncommon with a following.

broadband adapter, about the same. uncommon, with only a select few that are interested in obtaining one.

Well, I originally meant in terms of availability, but since you point it out, that doesn't really matter to me. It's resale value indeed.

Sometimes when you get on eBay, there's a wide range of prices, or just not many of that item for sale. Okami, for example. I saw one completed for $5 and one completed for $50. The Broadband Adapters, however, rarely show up.

But back to my Twilight Princess, the question wasn't whether it is rare or worth something now, but whether it will be years down the road.

I remember you from the other thread, though, and you were very helpful. Thanks!

Edit: ayb, you're always so helpful. Thanks.

If you keep it sealed, yes, it will be worth something. Probably a lot, at least twice what you paid for it. But that's only if you're willing to wait 5-10 years.

Like I said before sealed first party games like Mario and Smash Brothers are hard to find (as in more than double their original value). Eventually the game will worth more than what you pay for, but it could take 2 years or 5 years.

Well that's fine by me, I'm a Zelda fanatic and I doubt I'll ever sell it. It will be nice to have a pretty shelftop display that's also worth a good chunk of change.

Edit:
!BW-v!GgBmk~$(KGrHgoH-C4EjlLlyhrPBKZ9z9vcUw~~_35.JPG

There she is, boys. On her way via the United Staes Postal Service. Isn't she beautiful? I know it's hard to tell, but what do you "reckon" the VGA grade is on that bad boy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Say, what's the correct amount to assume when several ebay auctions end at different prices? Like say a game sells for $5, then on another $20, etc. etc. I have bust-a-move for SNES cart only, got it for 2 bucks at a flea market recently, completed listings range from 5-16-20, so would around 18 or so be a base or? it's a fun game, played it for about 3 hours straight before the music gets annoying

I'm not sure where exactly I found it, but eBay has an average sold price for most items. I think if you go on to list it and get most of the way through the process, they'll tell you what the average sold price is for your exact item.

i just got one of those game and watch collections from the nintendo club, and i was wondering if it was something i should keep sealed and hold on to, or just put it on ebay

i was never a huge fan of game and watch, so getting this collection was really just an extra free thing

[quote name='breakingcustoms']i just got one of those game and watch collections from the nintendo club, and i was wondering if it was something i should keep sealed and hold on to, or just put it on ebay

i was never a huge fan of game and watch, so getting this collection was really just an extra free thing[/QUOTE]

I would guess that they would hold their value well... maybe not immediately but since they're exclusive to Club members and most people don't have access to them, they should be worth some money in the future especially if you keep it sealed.

[quote name='Lavron415']Is GTA: San Andreas rated 'M' version rare?[/QUOTE]

All of the copies of San Andreas are rated M..

[quote name='Scorch']All of the copies of San Andreas are rated M..[/QUOTE]

I was gonna say. I think he means the one with the sex minigame, which I don't think is that rare. GTA games sell so many copies when they're released, and that wasn't discovered for at least a few months after, IIRC.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Say, what's the correct amount to assume when several ebay auctions end at different prices? Like say a game sells for $5, then on another $20, etc. etc. I have bust-a-move for SNES cart only, got it for 2 bucks at a flea market recently, completed listings range from 5-16-20, so would around 18 or so be a base or? it's a fun game, played it for about 3 hours straight before the music gets annoying[/QUOTE]

http://www.ebay.com/sell

there's a thing that says "What's It Worth?" right in the middle of the page that you can use to find the average price.

How much are the following worth-

DBZ Budokai 3 Limited Edition PS2 Sealed
Godfather the Game Limited Edition PS2 Sealed
NFS MW Black Edition Mint for PS2
Pokemon Emerald Sealed
Final Fantasy VI Advance Sealed
GTA San Andreas PC 1st "Hot Coffee" Version Sealed

DBZ Budokai 3 Limited Edition PS2 Sealed - The Limited goes for around $40, not sure about sealed...
Godfather the Game Limited Edition PS2 Sealed - $20 max.
NFS MW Black Edition Mint for PS2 - $10? Maybe $15.
Pokemon Emerald Sealed - Around $40.
Final Fantasy VI Advance Sealed - $50
GTA San Andreas PC 1st "Hot Coffee" Version Sealed - That's only worth about $20 on eBay because you can't list it as that since that version was pulled. List it as that and your listing will be removed. Plus it's not that rare since it's a GTA game. They fly off the shelves at launch. (Didn't someone just say this?)

I personally would leave Pokemon and FFVI in their wraps and open the rest because the value won't go up a whole lot, but some might disagree.

I just found an odd item in a local gamestore.
It's a Panasonic Q gamecube controller.
Now I know the system is worth a lot(dunno if they have the system), but I'm not sure how much the controller is worth.

I'm not even sure if they're selling it, it's in a bin of controllers for using.
I at least want it to get sold by the store instead being used by little kids.

[quote name='phoenix529']^Nice! I would have snatched it right up, but I do that...

If you ever do find an iQue, you could have an extra controller.[/QUOTE]

Well, my problem is how do I offer to buy it?
They already have some gamecube controllers for sale, so it would seem a little odd trying to buy that particular one. They might catch on that it's worth something...

What's an iQue?
The controller I'm talking about comes from this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JP-Nintendo-Pan...ames?hash=item518b660fb1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

An iQue is this:
2744771590_3c52451d97.jpg

And me being stupid tired at 1:30am. I of course meant the Q, which is your picture. I'm dumb. It's bed time.

As for asking for it, I don't know. Say you want the grey one? That reminds me. I was at a garage sale today and saw a GameShark for N64. I asked the lady how much and she said "What is it?" And I said: "I don't know, some old game my nephew might like." She laughed and said "a quarter." Did the exact same thing at the next garage sale 5 minutes later for a Gamecube 251 Memory Card. $.50

So yeah. I bought 'em both.

And I don't have a nephew.

[quote name='paradise2894']How much are the following worth-

DBZ Budokai 3 Limited Edition PS2 Sealed
[/QUOTE]

I got about $30 for a sealed one of these not too long ago.

[quote name='phoenix529']No, phear3d, lol. I wasn't interested, I was being stupid. Sorry.[/QUOTE]
i know. but its still worth money and not alot of people are aware of that system.

I came across what seems to be a gameshark for the original gameboy. It's definitely made for A gameboy, and judging by the dull grey color I was thinking it was for the original. I'm having a hell of a time finding it's value though... basically all my search queries hit on the GBA/Color versions. Anyone know if this has any value to it?

[quote name='eastshore4']I came across what seems to be a gameshark for the original gameboy. It's definitely made for A gameboy, and judging by the dull grey color I was thinking it was for the original. I'm having a hell of a time finding it's value though... basically all my search queries hit on the GBA/Color versions. Anyone know if this has any value to it?[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure they didnt make any game boy only cheating device aside from game geneie

875197-game_genie_super.jpg

Is Pokemon Sapphire sealed rare? I got one for $9 from the Target clearance to play myself or trade but I keep being told to keep it shrink wrapped. :(

I'd have to agree, buddy. Keep it shrink-wrapped. Cart-only copies still fetch $20-25, official Nintendo games only go up, especially sealed. If you wanna play it, I'd say get yourself another copy.

[quote name='62t']Well seeing how they are no longer being made the price is only going to go up[/QUOTE]

That is, unless Nintendo reprints it or re-releases in some way, shape, or form, which is what they've been doing a hell of a lot lately.

[quote name='eastshore4']I came across what seems to be a gameshark for the original gameboy. It's definitely made for A gameboy, and judging by the dull grey color I was thinking it was for the original. I'm having a hell of a time finding it's value though... basically all my search queries hit on the GBA/Color versions. Anyone know if this has any value to it?[/QUOTE]

They seem to be less common than the Game Boy Color ones, but they're not really valuable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GameShark-for-Gameboy-Color-Pocket-Game-Shark-Game-Boy_W0QQitemZ300333387490
http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-SHARK-FOR-GAME-BOY-AND-GAMEBOY-POCKET-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ310159451089

Being the entrepreneur that I am I picked up 3 or 4 boxed copies of Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection after reading that they were VERY limited edition and were going to be sold out. After forgetting about them and now rediscovering them I was wondering if I should sell these for a loss or hold onto them hoping they will become rare. Thanks

Jesus' Bush;6154813 said:
Being the entrepreneur that I am I picked up 3 or 4 boxed copies of Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection after reading that they were VERY limited edition and were going to be sold out. After forgetting about them and now rediscovering them I was wondering if I should sell these for a loss or hold onto them hoping they will become rare. Thanks
Hello,

I suggest you go to ebay.com, click the advanced search button, type in "metal gear solid: the essential collection," check the completed listings box, and then proceed to click search.

Was that so hard?

Now now, darkslime. I think he already did that since he asked if he should sell them for a loss or hold on.

As to whether they'll become more rare, are they sealed?

[quote name='phoenix529']Now now, darkslime. I think he already did that since he asked if he should sell them for a loss or hold on.

As to whether they'll become more rare, are they sealed?[/QUOTE]

Uh, I'm with darkslime on this...
and now, now...do you think he bought and then opened multiple copies??:roll::roll:

I doubt they will go up a meaningful amount until ~
a. the holiday season..should fetch more than now
b. a few months before the next installment/version breaks...which might be some time from now...

Donut's B would be correct.

Wait until the next MGS game comes out, whichever one it will be. Then list one or two and see what you can get. If it's not what you want, wait longer for the other ones.

[quote name='phoenix529']Good call, donut, I wasn't clear, I meant are they sealed individually or as a set?

My mistake.[/QUOTE]

They aren't sealed individually. there's a seal around the outer box, but the DVD cases themselves aren't sealed.

Interesting. When I grabbed the Devil May Cry set brand new, they were sealed individually, essentially losing any value they may have as a full sealed set later.

But yeah, like everybody else said, sell em when/if MGS 5 is about to drop.

That is odd. I was gonna pick up the DMC set this weekend. I'll post here if it's individually sealed. I did get the MGS set new from Sears when I was scouting out clearance games.

Yea they are all still sealed and yes, I did check the ebay listings. They are going for the same price as I bought them so if I sold them I may break even. Just wondering if they would go up or not. Ill see what MGS Lightning (or whatever the hell it's called) will bring.

Any reason to hang onto BlazBlue LE? The PS3 version seems to be in demand still but only internationally. I'm guessing it'll drop once it drops in Europe if it does.

[quote name='Shady3011']Any reason to hang onto BlazBlue LE? The PS3 version seems to be in demand still but only internationally. I'm guessing it'll drop once it drops in Europe if it does.[/QUOTE]

Considering they aren't printing the LE anymore, yeah, I think that would be reason enough to hold on to it.

[quote name='Josef']Considering they aren't printing the LE anymore, yeah, I think that would be reason enough to hold on to it.[/QUOTE]

Most companies don't reprint limited editions: hence, "limited". But most don't hold any kind of value.

I'd hold onto it, purely from a collector's view.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Most companies don't reprint limited editions: hence, "limited". But most don't hold any kind of value.

I'd hold onto it, purely from a collector's view.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if it's still sealed, sealed LE's almost always go up in value eventually.

I know you guys just said LE versions of games tend to gain value, but are there any examples that haven't?

I ask because I have two copies of the GTAIV Special Edition for PS3 which have languished on my TL. I have $31.79 invested in each and I'd hate to be forced to lose money on either.

I also have a black label Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. The disc(s) don't LOOK resurfaced and it's minty. But I wonder if the value of it has dropped just like the value on FFVII did a bit.

Will Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots LE be rare later? I have 6 additional sealed copies of the game, along with the art book and saga dvd volume 2 stored in a box somewhere in the garage.

bread's done
Back