The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='Squall835']Is Dragon Ball: Final Bout (Japanese Version) worth anything? I saw one at a thrift store a few days ago, but wasn't sure if it was worth picking up.[/QUOTE]
Nope.

[quote name='Squall835']Is Dragon Ball: Final Bout (Japanese Version) worth anything? I saw one at a thrift store a few days ago, but wasn't sure if it was worth picking up.[/QUOTE]

Only the ORIGINAL US copy is worth something, but with the re-release of the game in the US a few odd years back the Original copy isn't worth what it used to be.

Nope the Japanese and PAL versions got a normal print run not like the short run here in the US. I got two copies of the PAL version a long time ago, one to play and one to keep shrinkwrapped. It was also rereleased so you have to be sure you get the first limited run or you're getting ripped off. A lot of ebay sellers like to use the photo of the older one when they are really selling the rerelease so you have to be extra careful buying it on ebay now.

[quote name='CheepGamez']How about a complete in box ChronoTrigger for SNES?[/QUOTE]

Not rare in the sense of how many copies are out there(though SNES boxes due to their cardboard exterior are getting rarer and rarer to find)but rare as in the value people put on it. CT will fetch $40 min but as much as $100 depending on the day you put it on ebay and the condition of your game.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Just bought 2 new copies of Star Wars Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition for PS3. :D Thanks for the heads up guys! Paid a bit under $80 for both.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Super Metroid']where did you find this game? i've been looking everywhere for it.
any help would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

I had been wanting to pick this up and put it in the backlog, but after searching a while I had no idea it would be a difficult game to get for the PS3.

I finally was able to locate it on Walmart.com. I found four copies for the PS3 at Wal-Mart the other day...bought all of them...this game was extremely hard to find...75+ miles away...must have been a real low print.

You can search WalMart.com and they'll return results within a 50 mile radius...play around with zip codes.

http://www.usnaviguide.com/zip.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Muthafodder']I had been wanting to pick this up and put it in the backlog, but after searching a while I had no idea it would be a difficult game to get for the PS3.

I finally was able to locate it on Walmart.com. I found four copies for the PS3 at Wal-Mart the other day...bought all of them...this game was extremely hard to find...75+ miles away...must have been a real low print.

You can search WalMart.com and they'll return results within a 50 mile radius...play around with zip codes.

http://www.usnaviguide.com/zip.htm[/QUOTE]

How reliable is this? I have called 2 Walmarts relatively close to me and the employees say they don't have the game yet the online locater says they do.

[quote name='schuerm26']How reliable is this? I have called 2 Walmarts relatively close to me and the employees say they don't have the game yet the online locater says they do.[/QUOTE]
Never call. Just burn the gas and roll the dice.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone heard anything about the print run of Infinite Space or Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey?[/QUOTE]
I'd like to know this as well. I bought mine and it's a ton of fun but I just don't think I can sink a whole lot of time into it. I'd trade or sell it if I think I can get a fair price.

[quote name='schuerm26']How reliable is this? I have called 2 Walmarts relatively close to me and the employees say they don't have the game yet the online locater says they do.[/QUOTE]
Not all employees check if you ask them to.

[quote name='freeorelse']Never call. Just burn the gas and roll the dice.[/QUOTE]

In regards to Gamestop and Blockbuster I agree. Im not to worried about an electronics worker at Walmart knowing the value of a PS3 game. The store is about 20 miles away and Ill be in that area tomorrow so going to stop in and check.

Did they do a reprint on Eternal Darkness for Gamecube? For some reason I keep thinking this was in the 60-80 dollar range a while back, now they're more like $15-20 and I've found the game twice at flea markets and such.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Did they do a reprint on Eternal Darkness for Gamecube? For some reason I keep thinking this was in the 60-80 dollar range a while back, now they're more like $15-20 and I've found the game twice at flea markets and such.[/QUOTE]

Not that I am aware of, the game has always to my knowledge been in the $10-$30 max range.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone heard anything about the print run of Infinite Space or Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey?[/QUOTE]
cant really tell unless you look at the NPD numbers or ask the publishers themselves (which i dont prefer doing).

strange journey had a problem with the soundtrack so initially i dont believe those copies would be worth anything unless the game sold really poorly and they are the only ones atlus ever produced.

i know dark spire is oop but there really isnt much of a demand for it yet. it is an old school dungeon crawler game so that might be why.

[quote name='phear3d']
i know dark spire is oop but there really isnt much of a demand for it yet. it is an old school dungeon crawler game so that might be why.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if there ever will be. I didn't think it was as good as other modern old school dungeon crawlers.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I saw a complete Lufia II on ebay end at $87 and change. I can't find a value on a sealed copy. Anyone have a clue to the value or how I could find out it's worth?[/QUOTE]

Lufia 2 is rare so a sealed copy is incredibly rare. A used copy of the game in good condition complete with box, case, manual and map usually runds anywhere between $50 and $80 on average(iv seen it break $100 frequently). So a brand new sealed copy at $87 if its legit is PROBABLY a really good deal.

The copy I saw on ebay was just complete. I saw a sealed copy and some crappy little flea market store. The guy sells every really expensive. Told me he could get $50 for the complete Zelda Collectors Edition of Ocarina of Time on ebay and he wouldn't sell it to me. I was thinking of seeing what he wanted for Lufia II. It has a $79.99 EB Games price tag on it.

I saw 3 sealed Lufia II's go on Ebay in recent years. They ranged from $150 to $187 with shipping. Just make sure it isn't resealed. If you need help identifying a reseal, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

i'm in the same boat, i used the locator and 2 stores had it listed instock, called both stores and both said it was unavailable. might just make the trip tomorrow

[quote name='War Machine']How about The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2?

[/QUOTE]
dont sell it because you might regret it. its really hard to find in the wild but ebay seems to have calmed since MGS4. i was able to sell a couple for $60 2 years ago (around the MGS4 craze).

I found this a few days ago:

P6200101.jpg

I think it's essentially a Guide on how to use the Super Game Boy and it highlights some of the mini-games that can be played on it with certain games.

[quote name='Super Metroid']i'm in the same boat, i used the locator and 2 stores had it listed instock, called both stores and both said it was unavailable. might just make the trip tomorrow[/QUOTE]

I would be wary of the Walmart stock locator. It says 5 walmarts right around me have Sith Ultimate PS3 in stock. None of them do.

[quote name='confoosious']So I'm looking for the cheapest new gamecube game i can find (really just need the case) and I came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Madden-NFL-08-G...Item&pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c1354318c

wtf? is there something i'm missing on the rarity of Madden 07? it seems every gamecube owner thinks their new game is ultra rare or something.[/QUOTE]

That copy is not even new. Read the description:

"NEVER USED. WRAPPER OPEN."

And then these types of crappy sellers wonder why they get negative feedback.

[quote name='confoosious']So I'm looking for the cheapest new gamecube game i can find (really just need the case) and I came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Madden-NFL-08-G...Item&pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c1354318c

wtf? is there something i'm missing on the rarity of Madden 07? it seems every gamecube owner thinks their new game is ultra rare or something.[/QUOTE]

I see it for something like $10 sealed on amazon, so it could be an out-of-date opium dream price.

[quote name='TheOtherBarber']I found this a few days ago:

I think it's essentially a Guide on how to use the Super Game Boy and it highlights some of the mini-games that can be played on it with certain games.[/QUOTE]

That's a neat guide to have in a collection even though it isn't worth much ;) I think Nintendo Power used to give these out for just having a subscription--and wiki seems to confirm my vague memory of such things:

In 1994, shortly after the Super Game Boy release, Nintendo sent the Nintendo Power magazine subscribers the "Super Game Boy Player's Guide", a 72 page instruction book / guide to using the features of the Super Game Boy. These features gave detail about proper and improper usage of graffiti mode (examples of when it is/is not appropriate to allow drawing over the playable area of the screen), and examples of how color palette changes can make game play eye straining (getting light/dark colors reversed or out of order such as 1324 or 4321 instead of 1234), or duplicating a color as a way of deleting it from the palette (1134 or 1214 or even 1221 and 1114 layouts). The first 15 pages were instructional, followed by 55 pages of very brief overview style walkthrough of several games. These walkthroughs highlighted various points of the games and often pointed out color schemes to set that area's intended mood. (Games included: Super Mario Land 1-3, the new released Donkey Kong which had a special "Super Game Boy" border and color palette, Metroid 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Pinball Land, Tennis, World Cup, Alleyway, Dr. Mario, Yoshi, and Tetris.)

Went hunting for a Star Wars Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith for PS3 today. This thing is definitely scarce. After coming up empty at Walmart (website showed inventory but there was nothing to be found when I checked, even followed up with a phone call), Gamestop (apparently the one used copy they had sold yesterday), Sears, TRU and KMart I may resort to buying one on Ebay...

the only madden game that could count as rare is Madden 09 for the Xbox. very low print run and its the last original xbox game in the U.S. good luck finding one at gamestop since they have the B1G2 on all Xbox games.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']That's a neat guide to have in a collection even though it isn't worth much ;) I think Nintendo Power used to give these out for just having a subscription--and wiki seems to confirm my vague memory of such things:[/QUOTE]

They were also packaged together with the Super Game Boy itself.

The Ninja Gaiden Sigma II Collector's Edition looks like it's going for around $70 on eBay in the few listings it has... and ridiculously inflated prices on Amazon, of course. Any speculation on this one?

[quote name='GuardianE']The Ninja Gaiden Sigma II Collector's Edition looks like it's going for around $70 on eBay in the few listings it has... and ridiculously inflated prices on Amazon, of course. Any speculation on this one?[/QUOTE]
the first one was rare on day one since they didnt have alot of it. the second one was mildly sought after after its release but you can still find them at gamestops for $50 or $60 i think. when theres more out there the prices usually go down.

Anyone heard anything about the print run of Mega Man Zero Collection? I know the GBA games were semi rare and did not receive the biggest print run. Something is telling me they are going to print an incredibly small number of the DS collection too.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone heard anything about the print run of Mega Man Zero Collection? I know the GBA games were semi rare and did not receive the biggest print run. Something is telling me they are going to print an incredibly small number of the DS collection too.[/QUOTE]

Only the first 3. You can still get MMZ4 for around $15.

[quote name='62t']Only the first 3. You can still get MMZ4 for around $15.[/QUOTE]

Think you misunderstood me. I am asking about the DS collection not the GBA games. I am wondering if the just released Mega Man Zero Collection on the DS got a decent print run or not. My gut is saying that it probably got a small print run and if I see it at a decent price to pick it up(like I had the chance to grab it for $15 the other day), but id prefer to wait for price drops if they would happen(something that's pointless if it got a very limited print).

[quote name='MSI Magus']Think you misunderstood me. I am asking about the DS collection not the GBA games. I am wondering if the just released Mega Man Zero Collection on the DS got a decent print run or not. My gut is saying that it probably got a small print run and if I see it at a decent price to pick it up(like I had the chance to grab it for $15 the other day), but id prefer to wait for price drops if they would happen(something that's pointless if it got a very limited print).[/QUOTE]
If Mega Man ZX and Advent are any indication of its rarity, I wouldn't worry.

i have a complete stubbs the zombie
heard they printed a small amount of these games but seeing as u can buy it on xbl i just wonder

I have a couple of games i find are quite rare:

1.Kula World For PS1 - I have only seen this in a shop once about 2 years ago and that was fetching about £30

2. Micheal Jackson Moonwalker for Megadrive - I feel this isnt rare but i thought i would add it anyway

3. Monster Rancher PS1 - I had this game for about 10 years now and only ever seen it in a store twice.

bread's done
Back