The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I have 2 copies. One of the Dual Shock Version & one non-dual shock. It isn't rare by any means. The price does fluctuate a bit but not too much. The biggest spike was when RE5 came out last year. It is what is called "uncommon" but then again you can probably say that for most PS1 games now since there are a lot of them you don't see everywhere.

What would you guys say the rarest non-CE/LE/SE Resident Evil is(US Release)? I would think RE2 on Dreamcast maybe?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ... good question. Thing is I like to equate rarity with value and the problem with Capcom's RE titles is that the games are SO widely available across multiple consoles that hardly any RE game is that rare. RE2 for example also came out on PC, Dreamcast, and later on the Gamecube. The same goes for Nemesis. The GCN versions were essentially ports of the DC versions. Of course, we know the trend hasn't changed with RE4 and RE5.

That said, I think the rarest RE release is probably one of the GCN ones -- may be Nemesis or Veronica. I don't think Veronica was part of the GCN triple pack, which would mean Veronica GCN never got a double-dip on the console -- so IMHO, Veronica GCN would be the rarest.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I have 2 copies. One of the Dual Shock Version & one non-dual shock. It isn't rare by any means. The price does fluctuate a bit but not too much. The biggest spike was when RE5 came out last year. It is what is called "uncommon" but then again you can probably say that for most PS1 games now since there are a lot of them you don't see everywhere.

What would you guys say the rarest non-CE/LE/SE Resident Evil is(US Release)? I would think RE2 on Dreamcast maybe?[/QUOTE]

Resident Evil Gaiden?

Gex: Enter the Gecko for PC. I don't see this listed on either Amazon or Ebay.

Resident Evil Gaiden for what, the Gameboy was rarely seen anywhere. Veronica probably comes in second though, because that's not something often seen either.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Resident Evil Gaiden?[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. Easily by a damn mile too. I always forget about that for some reason. :booty:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Resident Evil Gaiden for what, the Gameboy was rarely seen anywhere. Veronica probably comes in second though, because that's not something often seen either.[/QUOTE]

Veronica only if it is the gamecube version.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Oh yeah. Easily by a damn mile too. I always forget about that for some reason. :booty:

Veronica only if it is the gamecube version.[/QUOTE]
I've noticed that RE2, 3, and CVX on Gamecube are going a bit down. They were really hard to find places in my experience and sold for a LOT on eBay. It's since gone down, and in fact I can usually pop into a Gamestop and find any of the aforementioned games. I think RE2 and RE3 are both $20 and CVX $30?? Either way, less than what they used to go for (RE2 used to go for $40).

theres so many resident evil games. but there are only a few that really stand out that i consider rare

resident evil longbox sealed - i know its sealed and it usually belongs on a separate category. but it is very hard to find a sealed copy of this since it was one of the first few games to ever come out of the ps1 library.

resident evil gaiden - the game really didnt sell well cause it didnt really work well. i think after this game they gave up on the idea of having the "survival horror" genre on a handheld until the ds game came out.

resident evil 4 demo for gamecube - its rare but not valuable. its great to have though.

resident evil pure evil (boxset) - thanks to gamestop, alot of these are probably gone or have been destroyed. gamestop has a habit of selling the boxsets separately so the boxes gets thrown and destroyed. these were somewhat in limited numbers cause only a few retailers carried it and it was kinda silly to have this and the two games that came with it were still in circulation.

resident evil 10th anniversary (boxset)- again the same with pure evil but i think these were even limited than that one. i think most of the copies of this game were gutted which really didnt help sell the game at all. who would want to pay $40 for games that looked like they've been chewed on by employees?

resident evil 4 special edition gamestop tin - this is a really great set imo. im not sure how many they sold but they were at $20 at one point at GS (i bought 2 sealed ones - sold one for $120 and kept the other). these were really expensive then but since the 5th's hype died down the value kinda calmed a bit.

resident evil remake for gc (black label sealed) - its expensive and you really cant tell if its the reprint. which is a good thing

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bjm']But what about Kula World for ps1[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure the US Version is called Roll Away or something like that. I used to sell it on ebay and you would get a lot of hits if you put Kula World in the title. That game is hard to find.

[quote name='nnthomas']Did Kororinpa Marble Mania get a reprint? I thought this was supposed to be a $$$ wii title but its only showing for $20.xx or so.[/QUOTE]
i think theres still plenty of copies of this game out there. though TRU is probably sold out of it by now.

[quote name='nnthomas']You sure you dont mean the second one - Marble Saga? Marble Mania was the first one[/QUOTE]
right i forgot the name was marble saga. and no i dont think marble mania had a reprint - amazon would have had it if they did.

Weird, guess the second one plummeted the first. Thanks. I saw it on GameFly for cheap and looked it up. Should still be there for anyone interested.

[quote name='nnthomas']Weird, guess the second one plummeted the first. Thanks. I saw it on GameFly for cheap and looked it up. Should still be there for anyone interested.[/QUOTE]
it was still sort of valuable when the marble saga came out. but i think when marble saga went on sale at TRU or maybe the price drop, the interest kinda went away. it happens alot. like for instance bioshock and mass effect limited editions were worth alot of money then but nowadays youre lucky to get $150 for your Bioshock 1 LE for 360.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I don't have it, but you know what I bet is rare. Blasto. Anyone remember that? Talk about some hard jumping areas.[/QUOTE]

also awfule controls+ Phil Hartman as Blasto! but i had fun with that game.

At BestBuy I saw a copy of dissidia with a black cover. It had villians from the series on it. All other copies that had were white? Any help?

[quote name='phear3d']it was still sort of valuable when the marble saga came out. but i think when marble saga went on sale at TRU or maybe the price drop, the interest kinda went away. it happens alot. like for instance bioshock and mass effect limited editions were worth alot of money then but nowadays youre lucky to get $150 for your Bioshock 1 LE for 360.[/QUOTE]

That seems to happen with every special edition... BlazBlue LE, MGS4 (PS3) and Demon's Souls were worth something for a long time too and they dropped. The only one that I can think of that's still holding its value is Tales of Vesperia. Peace Walker is slowly dropping...

[quote name='Estebon']Ok, I found that out. However, I got mine at Bestbuy factory sealed like that. Does it add any value to it?[/QUOTE]

Regarding sealed ones, I have no idea - did you check eBay's completed listings?

So today, I saw a really strange 52 in 1 cart for the original Game Boy. Unlike most multicarts I've seen, this one was huge. Like, three carts tall. I'd say this sucker was about as tall as an NES cart, though still the width of a regular Game Boy game. Anybody here seen something similar, or know what that sort of multicart is worth?

[quote name='Vinny']That seems to happen with every special edition... BlazBlue LE, MGS4 (PS3) and Demon's Souls were worth something for a long time too and they dropped. The only one that I can think of that's still holding its value is Tales of Vesperia. Peace Walker is slowly dropping...[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's also Bioshock LE, Star Wars TFU Ultimate Sith Edition(PS3), Mass Effect 2 CE and Ninja Gaiden Sigma CE. I know that some of these are only rare or worth anything if they're sealed, but I still thought they'd be worth a mention.

I don't think MGS4 LE was ever worth much, to be honest. Konami printed way too many copies at launch and a lot of them just collected dust. It was also ridiculously priced for it came with. Even at $20 new they still pretty much just sat there.

[quote name='Estebon']Ok, I found that out. However, I got mine at Bestbuy factory sealed like that. Does it add any value to it?[/QUOTE]
i would imagine it will but you might have to emphasize on that fact. if those copies are all like that, then its a normal thing. if you see just one copy with the black cover, then it could be just a variant mistake which would make it a little interesting. the only thing about it is that youre almost gambling with it since you wont really know for sure if its going to be rare or valuable later on. but i were to find such a copy, i wouldnt hesitate to buy that shit. :)

if you are planning on buying it, make sure that it isnt resealed. you have to keep it sealed though otherwise, it just looked like you just flipped the cover :)

[quote name='ducksoda7']Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's also Bioshock LE, Star Wars TFU Ultimate Sith Edition(PS3), Mass Effect 2 CE and Ninja Gaiden Sigma CE. I know that some of these are only rare or worth anything if they're sealed, but I still thought they'd be worth a mention.

I don't think MGS4 LE was ever worth much, to be honest. Konami printed way too many copies at launch and a lot of them just collected dust. It was also ridiculously priced for it came with. Even at $20 new they still pretty much just sat there.[/QUOTE]
the bioshock le was really worth alot of money even if it was used (complete and with unbroken big daddy figure seems to be the winner of them all). i was able to squeeze $300 for each of the 3 sets i sold just shortly after bioshock 2 came out. the sealed copies were going for as much as $350 but i think nobody really wanted to buy them for too much. but if i had a sealed set with an unbroken figure, i wouldnt really let that go for less than $400. but thats just me.

the mgs4 limited edition sets started to go down when gamestop in canada had it on sale for $20. ebay was filled with alot of cheap copies for months and months at a time and that really killed whatever value it had before. and yes they did produce alot of it and when theres of alot of it available, the demand will be less. maybe rising will bump it up a little.

[quote name='phear3d']i would imagine it will but you might have to emphasize on that fact. if those copies are all like that, then its a normal thing. if you see just one copy with the black cover, then it could be just a variant mistake which would make it a little interesting. the only thing about it is that youre almost gambling with it since you wont really know for sure if its going to be rare or valuable later on. but i were to find such a copy, i wouldnt hesitate to buy that shit. :)

if you are planning on buying it, make sure that it isnt resealed. you have to keep it sealed though otherwise, it just looked like you just flipped the cover :)[/QUOTE]

I did buy it and it has um, "Y folds" and looks factory sealed. I could post pics if you want. Also, I looked at a few of your photos. Where did you buy those game box thingies for sealed games. I'm interested in them.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but probably not. Ghost in the Shell SAC did that for the PS2 and people thought there were two covers but it was merely a flippable one. The fact that one game shows one image and another the other is usually random as the factory pieces it together to make the game covers have variants -- but this isn't like comic books where you only get that one cover vs. another. Here, you do get both, just one showing the other not.

SO, in other words, no, your version isn't worth any more. In fact, (sadly) it's more likely to turn away confused buyers who'll think you're selling a bootleg.

[quote name='Estebon']I did buy it and it has um, "Y folds" and looks factory sealed. I could post pics if you want. Also, I looked at a few of your photos. Where did you buy those game box thingies for sealed games. I'm interested in them.[/QUOTE]
http://www.clearbags.com/

PS2,Xbox,Gamecube,Xbox360, and so on... (General DVD size) : 5 5/8 x 5/8 x 7 5/8
PSone (jp), Sega Saturn (jp), PCengine, Dreamcast (us,jp), and so on (General CD size) :5 5/8 x 5/8 x 5 9/16
SNES/N64/Mega Drive (Genesis) : 5 3/8 x 1 1/4 x 7 3/8
Dreamcast (PAL), PSone (PAL), NDS : 5 5/8 x 1 x 5 9/16
GBA : 5 1/8 x 1 x 5 1/16

had to dig the thread at sealedgameheaven forums. i ordered from them before and they're pretty good. the only problem i have with them is that their shipping price is a little too high. if you want, you should try to order in bulk so that you save on shipping. i ordered the GBA/DS cases from them. i think they're definitely worth it especially when you have alot of sealed games. you can also use the PS2 cases for the psp games.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Don't mean to burst your bubble but probably not. Ghost in the Shell SAC did that for the PS2 and people thought there were two covers but it was merely a flippable one. The fact that one game shows one image and another the other is usually random as the factory pieces it together to make the game covers have variants -- but this isn't like comic books where you only get that one cover vs. another. Here, you do get both, just one showing the other not.

SO, in other words, no, your version isn't worth any more. In fact, (sadly) it's more likely to turn away confused buyers who'll think you're selling a bootleg.[/QUOTE]
just because it happens in comic books, doesn't mean it happens on video games too. 2 completely different games. you cant compare that to something like a final fantasy which have a lot more following than GITS. why would people think its a bootleg? this is kind of a similar situation with DDS2 which had 2 different covers (see below). and why do collectors prefer a misprinted version of final fantasy 7 vs. the normal version? if you have the misprinted version, it goes for a little more. they may not be worth alot now (its summer) but it was before.

what it is is variant, a different version than the normal one people are used to seeing. if not enough people knows such a thing existed, it wouldn't go for anything other than the normal value.

speaking of cover variants, before the reprint of Digital Devil Saga 2, the sealed version of the other cover, the white version, typically goes for a little more than the more colorful original version since they were a little harder to find and they actually matched looked similar than the first release. but that didnt really last long since DDS2 got a reprint and the cover they chose was the white version this time around. now that the market is flooded with the white version, i'm assuming the sealed original version of the game should be harder to find which will probably go for more later on.

Ever had a unicum? Did you sell it for cheaps? Is there a game that you've seen once or twice and wondered where to get it now?

CAVEAT: This is not where you discuss what your game is worth(although you may hint and make us all jealous).

This is a thread for the above, games that are nearly impossible to find. Let me start with an example:

--------------------------------------

Landed a copy of Vampire Killer(Castlevania MSX2) not long ago. Gonna boot it up tomorrow and relive some of that sweet feelin' that I haven't felt in yeeeeeeears.

I also booted up Ninja Masters(MVS) and kicked some serious arse.

--------------------------------------

Now you, tell us all about ********* and where you got it. And what you paid :lol:. And why you love the game so much :cool:.

[quote name='phear3d']just because it happens in comic books, doesn't mean it happens on video games too. 2 completely different games. you cant compare that to something like a final fantasy which have a lot more following than GITS. why would people think its a bootleg? this is kind of a similar situation with DDS2 which had 2 different covers (see below). and why do collectors prefer a misprinted version of final fantasy 7 vs. the normal version? if you have the misprinted version, it goes for a little more. they may not be worth alot now (its summer) but it was before.

what it is is variant, a different version than the normal one people are used to seeing. if not enough people knows such a thing existed, it wouldn't go for anything other than the normal value.

speaking of cover variants, before the reprint of Digital Devil Saga 2, the sealed version of the other cover, the white version, typically goes for a little more than the more colorful original version since they were a little harder to find and they actually matched looked similar than the first release. but that didnt really last long since DDS2 got a reprint and the cover they chose was the white version this time around. now that the market is flooded with the white version, i'm assuming the sealed original version of the game should be harder to find which will probably go for more later on.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I didn't say the comic book comparison was perfect -- what I was alluding to was the fact that in comics, a variant is in fact a "real, actual" variant because the comic book doesn't come with all the other covers inside. Unlike DDS2, the game you guys were talking about is a flippable cover (like GITS SAC for the PS2). I get that people might be willing to pay more for a game that shows a different cover, but when it's merely the fact that the cover art is flipped over and the other cover does come with the game, well, the variant means a lot less.

Hopefully, that makes sense. It's one thing when there's an actual error in the cover art which is later corrected. It's quite another thing to have a completely different cover like DDS2. A cover that merely is different because the other one is flipped underneath ... well, that one is not really exciting or unique at all given -- again -- companies do that so they can vary up their game cover on the shelf. I'm surprised more games don't do this.

i was comparing DDS2 to dissidia because it does have a flipped cover but unlike dissidia, the cover is very different. still, thats not going to stop collectors for getting a sealed version of that at a premium since its more collectible now than other.

a higher value takes time and since dissidia only came out last year, i dont think it would really matter much to collectors. people will get this game at a regular price or a discounted price. it took a 8 or so months, at least, for final fantasy crisis core with the foil cover to gain some value over the regular blue cover. ruling it out as it is is kinda like saying a greatest hits version is almost as valuable as the original one.

[quote name='Nogib']Dissidia with the cover simply reversed is NOT going to ever make it magically worth more. Stop deluding yourselves.[/QUOTE]
thanks sherlock. now its perfectly clear. :applause:

I seem to remember that I spent all of community college searching for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for Playstation. Gamestops in malls were checked over and over again until one day, an elusive used specimen emerged and became a part of my life at the wonderful price of $24.99. I never saw a Persona 2 anywhere locally again--I'm sure Atlus meant for it to be like Abe Lincoln, driven around in a Jack Frost motorcar to make public appearances in each Maryland county.

Some guy at a yard sale had some NES games, all in pretty good shape. A few sealed, but mostly shovelware crap. Had stuff like Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man, SMB/Duck Hunt, Tecmo Bowl, Kid Icarus, Zelda, Yoshi's Cookie, Dr. Mario..you know, the usual. And some random sports game, Nintendo Championship Tournament, or World Championships...something like that. I dunno, I thought it was some kind of olympic style thing with Nintendo characters...I hadn't heard of it lol.

Needless to say, I passed on them.

[quote name='mr_bungle']And some random sports game, Nintendo Championship Tournament, or World Championships...something like that. I dunno, I thought it was some kind of olympic style thing with Nintendo characters...I hadn't heard of it lol.

Needless to say, I passed on them.[/QUOTE]

Needless to say, you have quite an imagination.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Needless to say, you have quite an imagination.[/QUOTE]

Well...I was hoping there might be one person to freak out :lol:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I seem to remember that I spent all of community college searching for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for Playstation. Gamestops in malls were checked over and over again until one day, an elusive used specimen emerged and became a part of my life at the wonderful price of $24.99. I never saw a Persona 2 anywhere locally again--I'm sure Atlus meant for it to be like Abe Lincoln, driven around in a Jack Frost motorcar to make public appearances in each Maryland county.[/QUOTE]

It got a pretty big reprint a few years back. GQD got them new and then just about every gamestop got opened new copies that they sold as used games. I wanna say this was 2006 or so? maybe 2005?

[quote name='mr_bungle']Well...I was hoping there might be one person to freak out :lol:[/QUOTE]

there might've been if you weren't the hundredth person to make a joke about finding something rare/valuable and not realizing that it's rare/valuable and passing it up

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']I've acquired 7 copies of teh sw:tfu:use ps3 already! :D i'm currently working on the 8th. ;)[/QUOTE]
Well I didn't realize people made those jokes...first time in the thread.

I actually have had a lot of those SW:TFU:USE in my area at one time...I don't know if they're still there though. I know a GS close by has one.

bread's done
Back