The Killer Kowalski Memorial (and George Steele) Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorch, that/Santino looks incredible. Awesome STO. :drool: Santino should use it. I hope they gave him a judo throw, as that's one of a few moves he does regularly.

Oh! And the salute diving headbutt! Ha!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Have they announced the full SvR roster yet?[/quote]

No. IGN's kicking off the daily announcements starting with Santino. Monday through Friday, one wrestler a day, until the game's launch.

Santino's abilities:

Dirty Pin Referee ShieldMove Theft Steal Taunt Possum Pin
no salute?

His entrance looks great, animations are down pat, and, for once, Lillian doesn't sound like a robot.. by god, I think she's got it down pat!

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14242649/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009/videos/santinomarella_090108.html

really hope they don't always pop up after the pin though, that's really awkward

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that UFC fighter Jon Koppenhaver has legally changed his name to "War Machine." Koppenhaver appeared on The Ultimate Fighter and wrote on his MySpace blog about how made he was that UFC wouldn't call him "War Machine" in his last fight because TNA threatened a lawsuit having trademarked the name in sports entertainment for Rhino. He said he has used the name for six years and even has it tattooed on his body. Koppenhaver had the following to say in response: "Turns out some gay ass wrestling federation threatened to sue them because they recently named one of their wrestlers The War Machine Rhino and trademarked the name. If you know my personality than you know damn well I am not gonna let some $$$$$$ ass fake wrestler steal my name."

I read that news awhile ago. Its dumb if its true that TNA went after UFC over the name. Has Marvel ever threatened anything towards TNA?

War Machine is a pretty generic name. Its just a nick name too, its not like Koppenhaver was selling merch with War Machine written on it. He just wanted to be announced as his nickname as all other fighters are.

I was so hoping that Charlie Haas would come down dressed as Mysterio last night.

And as much as I love D-Lo, he sure is losing...a lot.

[quote name='diddy310']Something tells me with the new name he's going to get a lot of those "random" airport security screenings[/quote]

Especially if he only shows up in his fighting gear. :shock:

[quote name='Mr. Beef']And as much as I love D-Lo, he sure is losing...a lot.[/quote]

I think D-Lo should be used in the IC division. Unfortunately, the division is small and someone's gotta lose. I think they would not support giving D-Lo a clean victory over, say, Kofi (the only other person in the division it seems).

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Santino looks fantastic in '09, and I hope that the Honka Donk Man is the one to end Santino's streak - at WrestleMania.[/quote]

I really like this idea. Like, really like this idea (like). That reads like something that would be in future WWE highlight reels. Which is good for Santino, as he should be remembered.

[quote name='guyver2077'] "Turns out some gay ass wrestling federation threatened to sue them because they recently named one of their wrestlers The War Machine Rhino and trademarked the name. If you know my personality than you know damn well I am not gonna let some $$$$$$ ass fake wrestler steal my name."[/quote]

He certainly sounds like an ultimate fighter. I'm pretty sure Rhino has been the "War Machine" since like 2001. (after his "Rookie Monster" nickname from ECW was no longer appropriate)

[quote name='chasemurata']I think D-Lo should be used in the IC division. Unfortunately, the division is small and someone's gotta lose. I think they would not support giving D-Lo a clean victory over, say, Kofi (the only other person in the division it seems).[/quote]
Well, there's always Burchill and Cade, whenever they decide to let him wrestle again. Or Regal, and even Haas.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Well, there's always Burchill and Cade, whenever they decide to let him wrestle again. Or Regal, and even Haas.[/quote]

I have a feeling Burchill is on some sort of chopping block. Best case scenario is, as you said, an IC division with Burchill, Cade, Regal, Haas, possibly London, Santino, Kofi, and D-Lo.

On paper that's a solid division with a lot of potential for great matches. Reality is mostly never as good as fantasy, though. :whistle2:(

That's what I was thinking, too. I could picture some good matches involving just about any combination of the aforementioned guys.

I just miss the belts being important. It still irks me that (was that a bout a year ago?) when they tried to make an IC division again, with Masters, Crazy, Benjamin, Hardy, Morrisson, etc... only to drop it completely. While I didn't support the way they went about it (large amounts of 6 man matches, little to no story, outside of them all wanting the belt), but I thought it was a nice effort.

I know it seems all rose-colored glasses and all, but I remember when I first REALLY started watching back in 1998, ALL the belts were important. Hell, the D'Lo/X-Pac chest protector feud for the Euro title is still one of my fonder memories. I think that's my biggest complaint as of late... there's a ton of non-main event talent, but very few of them are DOING anything. It's what I feared when WCW went under, which is that the lower card was no longer important, because now it doesn't matter if the WHOLE show is good.

I was hoping that after the pop some of those older lower card guys got on the 15th anniversary show (Blackman) that maybe, just maybe, they'd realize that people *do* care about wrestlers that aren't in the main event. Guess not.

Man the IC belt was one of my favs growing up. I liked so many of the guys who held it. Steamboat, Savage, Hennig, Hart, Von Erich, ect. It's kind of sad to see it as an after thought sometimes. Jericho didn't need it, Hardy didn't defend it, and truefully Santino dosen't need it. It is leading to some comedy with the Honk-a-meter, but it could be awesome. I always looked forward to the IC title match on PPV because you could usually count on a great match. Not always the case these days. The US title has been handled OK by MVP. He didn't want it back because he's ready to grab the WWE title. Hardy had to loose it after the draft so he had a lackluster reign, but Shelton adds something to it. He loves that gold :) That's my rant.

[quote name='guyver2077']The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that UFC fighter Jon Koppenhaver has legally changed his name to "War Machine." Koppenhaver appeared on The Ultimate Fighter and wrote on his MySpace blog about how made he was that UFC wouldn't call him "War Machine" in his last fight because TNA threatened a lawsuit having trademarked the name in sports entertainment for Rhino. He said he has used the name for six years and even has it tattooed on his body. Koppenhaver had the following to say in response: "Turns out some gay ass wrestling federation threatened to sue them because they recently named one of their wrestlers The War Machine Rhino and trademarked the name. If you know my personality than you know damn well I am not gonna let some $$$$$$ ass fake wrestler steal my name."[/QUOTE]

Something tells me this guy lacks the mental capacity to file the appropriate trademark that he should have, given he wanted the name so goddamned bad.

But he found his way to the courts to change his name; bet he knows the directions there by hand.

Can TNA even afford the lawyers to sue that guy? I'm surprised they can even keep the power on.

Am I honestly supposed to believe that Mysterio can dominate Kane? I'm all for wrestlers that aren't 6'6'' and 300 pounds getting a shot at the main event but I mean c'mon. His move set sucks. He has one of the worst finishers in WWE. I just can't believe that a guy his size could dominate anyone, much less Kane, who is supposed to be this hardcore badass monster guy who eats babies and shits demons.

And why is CM Punk looking like a little bitch? Isn't he the champion? None of this makes any sense. Champions, especially world champions, should at least look sort of tough. CM Punk is just a pushover champion.

[quote name='Blackout']Can TNA even afford the lawyers to sue that guy? I'm surprised they can even keep the power on.[/QUOTE]
These posts go tiresome, more so because they constantly need to be corrected:

Panda Energy International owns TNA.

Let me add a subtle bit of emphasis here:

[quote name='Brak']These posts go tiresome, more so because they constantly need to be corrected:

Panda Energy International owns TNA.[/QUOTE]

Yeah forgot about that. My bad. I feel stoopid now. :cry:

But still, does TNA even bring in money? Are they making profit now?

[quote name='Blackout']But still, does TNA even bring in money? Are they making profit now?[/QUOTE]

The dirtsheets have been reporting that TNA is making money (even enough to start paying back Panda for the money they put in) thanks to selling the international rights to Impact.

If they've got that energy company backing them up, I wonder why don't they work on revamping the low budget look. I felt embarrassed for last week's TNA, decided I could no longer stand to watch it, and canceled my season pass.

[quote name='Blackout']Yeah forgot about that. My bad. I feel stoopid now. :cry:

But still, does TNA even bring in money? Are they making profit now?[/QUOTE]

They've been making money in '08 thanks to Impact's international licensing deals and a bunch of other licensing deals (like trading cards and other merchandise).

lmz, it was reported weeks ago, and posted here, that TNA has a new HD studio that will house their tape library and be used to upgrade the look of the show (including a move to HD in the future). That'll at least help the low-budget look of the show a bit, although a large part of the problem with the low-budget look is the Impact Zone itself, which they'll still be taping TV in for the forseeable future.

A couple screens of the fantastic Hennig DVD preview -

[quote name='lmz00']If they've got that energy company backing them up, I wonder why don't they work on revamping the low budget look. I felt embarrassed for last week's TNA, decided I could no longer stand to watch it, and canceled my season pass.[/QUOTE]
Because they're given a budget.

I can't help but think that TNA bought some old WCW cameras when WCW went under. I swear, the shit looks just like WCW did as far as picture quality goes. WCW always had a flatter, grayer image to me than WWE did.

Those bitches need to work on their presentation (at least go HD), or they'll always seem inferior to WWE, no matter who they sign.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I was so hoping that Charlie Haas would come down dressed as Mysterio last night.

And as much as I love D-Lo, he sure is losing...a lot.[/QUOTE]

I think the loss to Santino was his first since returning, unless you count the tag match where he teamed with Kelly, and she got pinned.

ECW on Sci-Fi will be moving to 9PM ET on Tuesday nights starting at the end of this month.

[quote name='lmz00']Those bitches need to work on their presentation (at least go HD), or they'll always seem inferior to WWE, no matter who they sign.[/quote]

Shelly Martinez in HiDef? :wave:

Christy Hemme in HiDef? :drool:

Don West in HiDef? :fridge:

Looking at the entrance & victory video IGN has for SvR09 makes the entrance motions look gimmicky. Not to mention it'll be annoying to see the motions on screen too.

Also watching that video makes me hope that they'll offer a 2005-era alternate look for Jericho. Because the way that he looks in the game is just plain weird.

Just a reminder, GametrailersTV will be covering TNA Impact the game this friday night. Mentions in the promo that Midway will announce some of the dl-able wrestlers. Seems they're going to milk, especially since there's only about 20 wrestlers on the disc(which is a joke considering how much game discs can contain now).

After being evaluated by doctors, Shawn Michaels triceps injury will not require surgery.
He has been cleared to wrestle this Sunday at WWE Unforgiven PPV according to WWE. com.
Michaels commented on his injury: "Before the MRI my doctor was 99.9 percent sure that I had a full tear of my triceps and that I would experience bruising, swelling and a loss of my range of motion. Through the power of prayer, none of those things happened and I am ready for Unforgiven.

[quote name='lmz00']Those bitches need to work on their presentation (at least go HD), or they'll always seem inferior to WWE, no matter who they sign.[/quote]

Shelly Martinez in HiDef? :wave:

Christy Hemme in HiDef? :drool:

Don West in HiDef? :fridge:

ok so when midway and thq say downloadable wrestlers.. am I the only one expecting the entire package?

I want to see the dlc wrestler appear on the regular roster, with picture and stats (not a blank image or w.e), full intro with music, and his unique finisher etc.

If this is not the case then they shouldnt even bother.

For Midway, that's asking a lot, Guyver. ;) However, it would be good for people who buy the game. So, I hope it is indeed the complete package.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm expecting Don West for $4.50.[/quote]

FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY

FOLKS thisisyouronlychancetobuythisraresignificantitem

only ONE don west will come with a holographic jump suit

FOLKS ifyoudontbuythisnow someoneelsewillbuyitandyouwilldiealone

ya know what folks I WILL TOSS IN a TNA GRAB BAG set whichmayinclude j.b. JEREMY BORASH in a tutu OR mike tenay YES THE PROFESSOR nibblingonsomecorn

YES FOLKS nibblingonsomecor--

*Don West knocks over a bookcase that destroys half of Midway's computers that house the Don West DLC*

:whistle2:#

The Gillespsie agency just released the following:

September 3, 2008 - Statement from Mick Foley on leaving WWE, his future with TNA Wrestling and other opportunities.

"As of today, I am a free agent in the world of professional wrestling. I will always be grateful to WWE for affording me so many incredible opportunities over the past thirteen years, but feel the time is right to pursue other endeavors.

This move frees me up to participate in more film, television and voice roles, autograph sessions, speaking engagements, volunteer work, and will allow me the time to start work on a third novel, a fourth wrestling memoir and a new children’s story.

Over the next few weeks I will be working with my management team at Braverman/Bloom Co., Inc. in pursuing a couple of unique investment opportunities.

I can confirm I have had discussions with TNA Wrestling and have come to a short-term agreement. I am very excited about the specifics of this agreement and the potential it holds.
"

Mick Foley is available for booking through The Gillespie Agency.
For
more information contact Elaine Gillespie ([email protected]) or Nola Armstrong ([email protected]).

[quote name='chasemurata']FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY

FOLKS thisisyouronlychancetobuythisraresignificantitem

only ONE don west will come with a holographic jump suit

FOLKS ifyoudontbuythisnow someoneelsewillbuyitandyouwilldiealone

ya know what folks I WILL TOSS IN a TNA GRAB BAG set whichmayinclude j.b. JEREMY BORASH in a tutu OR mike tenay YES THE PROFESSOR nibblingonsomecorn

YES FOLKS nibblingonsomecor--

*Don West knocks over a bookcase that destroys half of Midway's computers that house the Don West DLC*

:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Too accurate! :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW9zkRfvlVA

Hmm. I am surprised I didn't see this earlier.

Well, Sid is in good shape for his age and he appears to have aged well.

But really, I would prefer WWE to focus on building towards the future (see: a significant portion of their present, big-name stars being injured). I would only support his return if it lead to progressive opportunities for younger talent.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Too accurate! :rofl:[/quote]

*bows*

Phrosty, even I let out a chuckle whilst typing it. Don West is like the cousin of Chris Farley that was dropped a lot as a baby. :whistle2:#;)

[quote name='Halo05']Well, at least Foley's run in TNA is short-term at the moment. Perhaps his legacy will survive.

I found this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz5-zDyEARY&feature=related[/quote]

:lol:

That reminds me, I need to find his recent IGF match. :whistle2:k

foley.jpg

http://www.tnawrestling.com/content/view/525/84/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back