The Kings Of Wrestling Reign Supreme Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny the Fujiwara Armbar thing came up. During the Rumble Striker mentioned a Michinoku Driver, and got the same treatment. "A what?" "I think I just bought one of those cars" etc. Was even more fucking stupid since it refers to a guy who was in the company less than 10 years ago and had a long run on TV.

During RR, I had flashbacks of Michael Cole from the Smackdown days. Striker referred to Nexus having an advantage via "the numbers game."

I damn near had an epileptic fit hearing that, thinking about Cole on SD.

EDIT: KaneRobot, do you recall when that happened during the rumble match?

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, it plays into two themes that we know are true:

1) WWE contempt for its fans, who are rubes and dolts. We are expected to know the "FU," but we're too herp-derp to know an exploder suplex.

I get stoked when announcers on WWE name wrestling maneuvers properly, because I can imagine the folks in the gorilla position shitting their pants and screaming at that announcer to hype "The Chaperone" instead.

2) WWE may think of itself as a global corporation, but it operates with a highly-American mindset. Anything "foreign" has to be dumbed down or ignored. Naofumi Yamamoto is too difficult and too Japanese, so (overlapping with point #1), we get "Yoshi Tatsu." So the technical names that often enhance the product are echewed because they might turn off an audience of beer-swillin', god-fearin' 'Mericans."[/QUOTE]

Vince has always played to the lowest common denominator, as most of us know. I've just gotten to a point in the last couple of years that I'm not willing to tolerate it anymore. I stopped watching Raw about 2.5 years ago (as I've mentioned numerous times :)) while sticking with SD since it's long been considered the "wrestling" show. HHH chased me away from Raw and Cole kept me from going back. I was frustrated when they added Cole to SD but decided to tolerate it since he was one of three announcers. In the last few weeks, though, he's annoyed me to the point that I'm seriously considering dropping SD. Two hours of his inanity is too much and just taints (huh-huh, taint) the whole show. He's a pox, plain and simple.

Now if only the prodigal son would return and legitimately take charge of the company. Here comes the money, indeed.

Unrelated to all of this, I watched Jeff Jarrett/Razor Ramon from Royal Rumble 1995 tonight. It wasn't a match with many "high spots" at all, or big, dangerous moves, but it was a goddamned good match (and I recall being furious when I discovered that Razor dropped the belt).

1) Is there anyone in wrestling who can throw a punch that looks as good as a in-his-prime Scott Hall? (I gotta admit, Lawler socking DiBiase last night was centerfold-beautiful in how it looked.)

2) The moves all made sense. Razor hurt his knee, and sold it beautifully. Jarrett's moves in the second half of the match all focused on the knee (and, importantly, the *correct* knee - I hate when wrestlers go after both, as that's not believable).

3) They had a great, intense stretch with about 2-3 minutes featuring nothing more than a figure four leglock - and they *made it work*.

4) The back-and-forth made sense. Hall never turned into super-Cena, immediately no-selling the beatdown he got, going from shoulder block to the five-knuckle shuffle (hehhehheh) to all that other nonsense he does. Razor fought back, *slowly* regaining the advantage. The way guys bounce back in matches now, it's like incorporating the conventional "hot tag" in a singles match. Which is as stupid as it sounds (and therefore why it doesn't work).

The story of the match made sense. Jarrett more or less won the IC belt clean. But he remained a heel. He knew Razor was hurt, so he got on the mic, ran him down using all TV-PG language, but still using words that adults would use. Jarrett mocked his 'machismo' and goaded him to come back in the ring despite his hurt knee - and in the end, Razor's machismo turned out to be his downfall.

It's not the best match in the fuckin' universe, or some sort of internet mark "FIVE STARS! FIVE STARS!" miracle. But it's a match that has flow, tells a great story, and just makes fucking sense. I don't feel that way very much anymore.

[quote name='mykevermin']During RR, I had flashbacks of Michael Cole from the Smackdown days. Striker referred to Nexus having an advantage via "the numbers game."

I damn near had an epileptic fit hearing that, thinking about Cole on SD.

EDIT: KaneRobot, do you recall when that happened during the rumble match?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I wasn't clear above...I meant the Rumble PPV, not the match. It was actually during the 4-way women's thing. Natalya did what was referred to as a "modified Michinoku Driver."

Oh I absolutely hate when WWE puts modified in front of everything because they're not actually sure if that's the move they're talking about it. Raven (who was always gold on commentary) was commentating with Coach in about 2002 and called a reverse DDT a "modified slop drop". It was classic.

I have to agree that I really liked the Razor/Jarrett feud except that it never had a blowoff really. They built up a really good story and then just dropped it. I know that Scott Hall didn't care whether or not he won matches (as evidenced by his 1995 run) but Razor should have won the blowoff since both were leaving anyway.

[quote name='davo1224']Oh I absolutely hate when WWE puts modified in front of everything because they're not actually sure if that's the move they're talking about it. Raven (who was always gold on commentary) was commentating with Coach in about 2002 and called a reverse DDT a "modified slop drop". It was classic.[/quote]

:rofl:

Raven has a very dry wit that comes off excellently at times.

I have to agree that I really liked the Razor/Jarrett feud except that it never had a blowoff really. They built up a really good story and then just dropped it. I know that Scott Hall didn't care whether or not he won matches (as evidenced by his 1995 run) but Razor should have won the blowoff since both were leaving anyway.

I don't recall how it ended. Guess I'll go see who became IC champ following Jarrett. Maybe it was Thurman "Sparky" Plugg.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Sorry, I wasn't clear above...I meant the Rumble PPV, not the match. It was actually during the 4-way women's thing. Natalya did what was referred to as a "modified Michinoku Driver."[/QUOTE]

Scouring YT for clips, it went something like this:
Lawler: A modified what?
Striker: Michinoku Driver.
Cole: Heh. A lot of people know what that is.
Striker: Read a book.
Lawler: I think that's a new car I...looked at the other day.

[quote name='mykevermin']I gotta admit, Lawler socking DiBiase last night was centerfold-beautiful in how it looked.[/QUOTE]King does throw a good punch. I know this all too well because I saw him wrestle Saturday night and punches were practically his ENTIRE OFFENSE throughout the match. Literally, he threw about 20 or so punches, backed away from a test-of-strength, pulled down his strap, rolled his opponent up with a school boy and that was it................I wish I was exaggerating. He didn't even bust out the dropkick. His performance was dialed-in, unlike the last time I saw him wrestle.

---

I simmed Undertaker VS. Sting last night in Fire Pro Wrestling D and, big surprise, Taker won.

I think Razor got the upper hand in a no contest handicap match and then the two of them just went in different paths. Jarrett lost the belt to Shawn and left.

[quote name='davo1224']I think Razor got the upper hand in a no contest handicap match and then the two of them just went in different paths. Jarrett lost the belt to Shawn and left.[/QUOTE]

danke schoen.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but someone just spoke of the possibility of Striker going to Raw. I can see this happening if they announce that Michael Cole is the Raw GM.

I'd kill to see Diesel vs. Undertaker.I would pretend it was the 90s again and everything hasn't gone to shit.

[quote name='Clak']I'd kill to see Diesel vs. Undertaker.I would pretend it was the 90s again and everything hasn't gone to shit.[/QUOTE]

It'd have to be somewhere around late '97, because let's face it, the mid-90's was a shit time for WWF.

I'd have to say we have all overlooked the most obvious explanation for the promos. It's definitely for the Undertaker. It's for the Undertaker announcing his opponent at Wrestlemania.

His opponent will be:
Evil_Dead_2_Crazy_Ash_Wallpaper_JxHy.jpg

Dude's been wiping out the deadites and other dark creatures for years. Tired of letting it slide, Undertaker is going to take him out and stop Ash before he comes after him. That's why the Undertaker is stalking him at his house out in the woods.

PWG has announced their teams for this year's DDT4 tournament taking place March 4th. Winner gets a shot at El Generico and Paul London for the tag titles.

The RockNES Monsters (Yuma & Goodtime)
The American Wolves (Richards & Edwards)
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin)
The Kings Of Wrestling (Hero & Castagnoli)
Willie Mack & Brandon Gatson
The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark)
Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It's not Sting, it's not 'Taker, they're bringing back Boogeyman![/QUOTE]

I think it would be awesome if they black out the arena and show that clip and then from in side the house you hear "OWWWWWWW" and its Hacksaw Jim Duggins. Sting will also return for a Bat vs Board match against him

[quote name='Purple Flames']It'd have to be somewhere around late '97, because let's face it, the mid-90's was a shit time for WWF.[/QUOTE]
Huh? The 90s were a great time for the WWF. things started sliding downhill when all the attitude crap started in the lat 90s early 00s.

[quote name='neocisco']
A couple of weeks ago on SD someone (don't remember who) used a Fujiwara armbar and Striker called the hold accurately and by it's name. Cole started laughing and mocking Striker, saying something along the lines of "A Fuji-wha!? What did you just say? Haw, haw!" It was the textbook definition of why Cole is a cancer and needs to be permanently removed from commentary.
[/QUOTE]

You can't work the eye muscle!!!

[quote name='Clak']Huh? The 90s were a great time for the WWF. things started sliding downhill when all the attitude crap started in the lat 90s early 00s.[/QUOTE]

The early 90's were all kinds of crap. Things didn't start turning around until about '96.

Jericho talks about his (hoppefully soon-to-be) return to WWE:

http://www.fanhouse.com/2011/01/31/chris-jericho-admits-he-considers-return-to-wwe-right-now/

Ever since Chris Jericho walked away from WWE four months ago, people have been wondering when he will be returning to the wrestling company.

Not just wondering either -- besieging him with comments saying that they want him back in the ring sooner rather than later. It's something that fans have been through before with Jericho as he left wrestling in 2005 and took a two-year hiatus before returning to WWE.

He has openly said that he's not sure when or even if he will be back in wrestling. But Jericho also admits that he considers a return right now.

"I consider it always because it's not like it was in 2005 where I was sick of wrestling." Jericho told FanHouse. "Sick of it is maybe a harsh word. Disenchanted, I guess, is a better word. I wasn't disenchanted when I left in September. It was just my contract was up. That was it. And there were other things just waiting to come through. Even if I was coming back, I always would have taken those four months, three months off to do the Fozzy tours. Then other things have kind of popped up to delay my return."

The six-time world champion has already spoke with WWE about a new contract which is actually close to being worked out.

"I mean, there's a deal on the table. A deal on the table that's 90-percent done. There's a couple of minor things that we had to hammer out. It would just be a matter of what other stuff is going on and how that stuff is going."
But Jericho says there are other things he had plans on right now though, including his band and promoting his highly anticipated second autobiography "Undisputed" which will be released on Feb. 16.

"I just have to feel the urge to come back to wrestling and I need to be there 100 percent. Now that ... Fozzy is doing really good and 'Undisputed' was coming out, I kind of had my eyes on other things and you can't do that. You got to be 100-percent committed to the WWE and if you're not, step aside and let someone else take over that is. So, it's just a matter of being 100-percent committed to doing it. Because now I have set such a high bar for myself -- which I'm glad -- and I need to match that and I need to not come in anything less than that."

"When the time comes for me to do that, I'll be happy to come back and if I never went back to wrestling, I'm happy with that too."

Yeah 1996 and 1997 was when you could expect mostly quality matches. It wasn't until 2000 that it picked up again after the horrid matches in 1998 and 1999.

[quote name='neocisco']The early 90's were all kinds of crap.[/QUOTE]

Eh. It's easy to say that now, but I enjoyed it at the time, when I was 11 or 12.

Personally I'd take the 90s over what we currently have. At least that was when some of the big names were in their prime, or in some cases still alive.

[quote name='JJSP']PWG has announced their teams for this year's DDT4 tournament taking place March 4th. Winner gets a shot at El Generico and Paul London for the tag titles.

The RockNES Monsters (Yuma & Goodtime)
The American Wolves (Richards & Edwards)
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin)
The Kings Of Wrestling (Hero & Castagnoli)
Willie Mack & Brandon Gatson
The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark)
Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa[/QUOTE]

That is a stacked tournament. :) I'd love to see the RockNES Monsters get a crack. If only the Fightin' Taylor Boys had made the tournament. They would be my pick. Chuck Taylor is gold.

I don't care what anyone says, the 90s wrestling was awesome. All you have to say is Stone Cold and The Rock, then followed by Undertaker, Mick Foley, etc.

[quote name='mogamer']Anyone who likes this has no right to complain about how dumb WWE and TNA are. :roll:[/QUOTE]

See here's the thing: this is INTENTIONALLY goofy. When WWE and TNA do shit like this, they actually take it seriously and think it'll make people wanna tune in.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I don't care what anyone says, the 90s wrestling was awesome. All you have to say is Stone Cold and The Rock, then followed by Undertaker, Mick Foley, etc.[/QUOTE]

Weren't they around during the close of the 90's, though?

I'm the last person to praise CZW—but that is quite hilarious. As Purple Flames touched upon, that is one way to implement comedy into pro wrestling. Colt Cabana also does a fine job. Chuck Taylor, and PWG in general, should also be watched. When WWE or TNA attempt comedy, it's, usually, always forced and poorly-executed/timed. Comedy is one of the most difficult acts to execute.

xpac has an internet show live right now on cowhead tv, the special guest tonight is kevin nash live right now at cowheadtv.com

Is there a link to that xpac thing that I don't have to register for the site over? I don't want yet another account I'll never use otherwise.

ROH 9th Anniversary Show Poster - 2/26/11

920.JPG

Full card (so far):

ROH World Title Match
Roderick Strong with Truth Martini defends vs. Homicide

World Tag Team Title Match
The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) with Shane Hagadorn defend vs. The All Night Express

First Time Ever- Dream Tag Team Match
Jay and Mark Briscoe vs. Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas

Special Attraction
Colt Cabana vs. Davey Richards

Order here:

http://www.gofightlive.tv/Events/Fight/Wrestling/ROH__The_9th_Anniversary_Show/920

And speaking of Kings of Wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mep-75X2Mb4

[quote name='Purple Flames']See here's the thing: this is INTENTIONALLY goofy. When WWE and TNA do shit like this, they actually take it seriously and think it'll make people wanna tune in.[/QUOTE]

Do you think that things like Swagger's eagle or the OJ/EY storyline in TNA are taken seriously by the powers that be? Those are goofy storylines that are treated as comedy. And I don't like them either.

Man, the Briscoe Brothers are some of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever seen, and that's never more evident than when they open their mouths.

I think that's why I like them so much - there aren't many people in pro wrestling right now that are as believable as those two. They'd be a great heel tag team in TNA or WWE.

I didn't even think about it, but this makes sense..

A source close to the situation notes that there may be something to the way the former members of The Hart Foundation were booked in the last week with David Hart Smith being pulled from the Royal Rumble, Natalya losing her Divas Title out of the blue and Hornswoggle giving Tyson Kidd an Attitude Adjustment.

also,

Well informed sources with World Wrestling Entertainment do not believe Steve “Sting” Borden has signed a contract. That’s not to say Sting can’t sign at some point, but it does not appear as though he has at the moment.

It appears Sting is still a free agent as sources within TNA aren’t aware of him re-signing with the company. For what it’s worth, he’s still listed on the TNA website roster page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back