The Kings Of Wrestling Reign Supreme Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I don't care what anyone says, the 90s wrestling was awesome. All you have to say is Stone Cold and The Rock, then followed by Undertaker, Mick Foley, etc.[/QUOTE]
Seriously, you had guys like Brett and Owen Hart, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Undertaker, Diesel, Bam Bam Bigelow, Vader, Jake the Snake (80s- early 90s), Jim Duggan (around same time as Roberts) the countless number of great tag teams. Maybe I shouls say the late 80s to around mid 90s.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Weren't they around during the close of the 90's, though?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but then you also had ECW and WCW didn't totally suck, etc.

[quote name='Clak']Seriously, you had guys like Brett and Owen Hart, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Undertaker, Diesel, Bam Bam Bigelow, Vader, Jake the Snake (80s- early 90s), Jim Duggan (around same time as Roberts) the countless number of great tag teams. Maybe I shouls say the late 80s to around mid 90s.[/QUOTE]

Yup

[quote name='JJSP']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU4TDGlbTz8[/QUOTE]

I think it's now gone viral...it got 20k views since I last laughed at it and I've seen it tweeted countless times.

[quote name='mykevermin']Man, the Briscoe Brothers are some of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever seen, and that's never more evident than when they open their mouths.

I think that's why I like them so much - there aren't many people in pro wrestling right now that are as believable as those two. They'd be a great heel tag team in TNA or WWE.[/QUOTE]

"Woop dat ays" x14 and "Man up" x37. I love that at the last PPV in NY they showed up wearing Confederate flag shorts and were promptly booed. Plus they were the faces in that match.

According to Lords Of Pain, Matt Hardy is trying to bring Lita into TNA.

I'm sure that'll end spectacularly.

[quote name='HydroX']While the video above is quite entertaining, stuff like this has been done before at the Cage of Death.

Besides, this is the Human Tornado![/QUOTE]

That was great also, but I don't see any hypnosis.:lol: That's what separates the two.

[quote name='neocisco']"Woop dat ays" x14 and "Man up" x37. I love that at the last PPV in NY they showed up wearing Confederate flag shorts and were promptly booed. Plus they were the faces in that match.[/QUOTE]

What makes that so hilarious is that they're from fucking Delaware.

I love the guys and they're my favorite modern-day tag team. I'm just sayin'.

In defense of the Briscoes, Delaware might as well be Alabama. I can't think of any useful reason to continue to recognize the state as anything more than a breeding ground for the future alcoholics of the northeast.

[quote name='mykevermin']Man, the Briscoe Brothers are some of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever seen, and that's never more evident than when they open their mouths.[/QUOTE]

Did you listen to them on Colt Cabana's Podcast? Dear lord. It was interesting, but I could have sworn they were from my neck of the woods. :)

[quote name='Clak']Does McMahon seriously have a yacht he calls sexy bitch?[/QUOTE]

It came up during the election cycle as some mudslinging by Blumenthal, so...I guess so. You're not shocked, are you?

I'd expect it to be called "the genetic jackhammer," personally.

[quote name='JJSP']In defense of the Briscoes, Delaware might as well be Alabama. I can't think of any useful reason to continue to recognize the state as anything more than a breeding ground for the future alcoholics of the northeast.[/QUOTE]

I grew up in KY, so I never recognized anything north of me as "southern." Now that I'm in Philly, it's all crystal fucking clear to me. Delaware and South Jersey are so fuckin' hillbilly it's incredible.

Also, I finished watching the 1995 Royal Rumble tonight. From a talent standpoint, the WWF then was in a similar situation to what they were Sunday. A deep lack of top card talent, a gimmicked Rumble match, and a match stuffed to the gills with guys who virtually all had zero chance of winning in the view of the fans.

HBK, Bulldog, and Lex Luger were the only genuine potential winners in that match. You also had Kwang, Duke "The Dumpster" Droese, Men on a Mission, the Bushwhackers, Jacob and Eli Blue as well as Well Dunn (neither of whom had members whose names were known by McMahon), The Heavenly Bodies (ditto), and so on. They had to use fuckin' *MANTAUR* as one of the "big guys who clear the ring and/or are hard to get out" in that match. The gimmick was the "fastest Royal Rumble match in history," with entrances every 60 seconds. The undercard featured the Razor/Jarrett match I was praising yesterday, but how's this for how anemic the roster was: The Undertaker wrestled IRS.

Take a moment and savor what that match looked like.

If history does repeat itself, we're in for a shitty 2011. The main event of the WrestleMania that followed the 1995 Royal Rumble? Not the title match, the main event, the final match on the card...

Bam Bam Bigelow versus Lawrence Taylor.

The WWF was awful for almost the entire year of 1995, and didn't show signs of life until a year and a half later, at King of the Ring 1996. That was the day Stone Cold Steve Austin began to take shape as the premier wrestler of the late 1990's.

I certainly don't feel too optimistic about this year after watching that pay per view.

[quote name='mykevermin']It came up during the election cycle as some mudslinging by Blumenthal, so...I guess so. You're not shocked, are you?

I grew up in KY, so I never recognized anything north of me as "southern." Now that I'm in Philly, it's all crystal fucking clear to me. Delaware and South Jersey are so fuckin' hillbilly it's incredible.

Also, I finished watching the 1995 Royal Rumble tonight. From a talent standpoint, the WWF then was in a similar situation to what they were Sunday. A deep lack of top card talent, a gimmicked Rumble match, and a match stuffed to the gills with guys who virtually all had zero chance of winning in the view of the fans.

HBK, Bulldog, and Lex Luger were the only genuine potential winners in that match. You also had Kwang, Duke "The Dumpster" Droese, Men on a Mission, the Bushwhackers, Jacob and Eli Blue as well as Well Dunn (neither of whom had members whose names were known by McMahon), The Heavenly Bodies (ditto), and so on. They had to use fuckin' *MANTAUR* as one of the "big guys who clear the ring and/or are hard to get out" in that match. The gimmick was the "fastest Royal Rumble match in history," with entrances every 60 seconds. The undercard featured the Razor/Jarrett match I was praising yesterday, but how's this for how anemic the roster was: The Undertaker wrestled IRS.

If history does repeat itself, we're in for a shitty 2011. The main event of the WrestleMania that followed the 1995 Royal Rumble? Not the title match, the main event, the final match on the card...

The WWF was awful for almost the entire year of 1995, and didn't show signs of life until a year and a half later, at King of the Ring 1996. That was the day Stone Cold Steve Austin began to take shape as the premier wrestler of the late 1990's.

I certainly don't feel too optimistic about this year after watching that pay per view.[/QUOTE]

That's what I said, '96. :)

Christ, I'd forgotten about the Mania with LT/Bigelow. The opening match was Luger and Bulldog against...Jacob and Eli Blu?!?

It's kind of depressing to think that of the four men in that match, the Harris Brothers are still wrestling.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yup

I think it's now gone viral...it got 20k views since I last laughed at it and I've seen it tweeted countless times.[/QUOTE]

You can thank Bill Simmons tweeting it.

The 1995 Rumble was heinous but thankfully quick. They atleast had the intelligence to know it would be painful if it went longer.

[quote name='TheRock88']You can thank Bill Simmons tweeting it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just noticed his tweet, as well, in my stream (probably fucked up the commas there).

The thing's up to 100k+ views. Really cool actually.

Oh man, I remember that LT/Bigelow match. Didn't they have LT coming out to What a Man by TLC? that was one of the weirder celebrity tie-ins they did. Considering his record, maybe LT should try wrestling again.

[quote name='mykevermin']It came up during the election cycle as some mudslinging by Blumenthal, so...I guess so. You're not shocked, are you?

I certainly don't feel too optimistic about this year after watching that pay per view.[/QUOTE]I guess I shouldn't be, but geez Vince, classin' up the joint aren't ya?

But yeah, every state has it's rednecks, hicks, hillbillies etc...

I usually wait for paperback but the Jericho book was in my gold box, and apparently it's shipping now, so I bought it. The preview I read was great, and I'll take pretty much anything to wash away the sickening disappointment of the Goldust book.

[quote name='mykevermin']Is there a link to that xpac thing that I don't have to register for the site over? I don't want yet another account I'll never use otherwise.[/QUOTE]

yea.. you have to register but good thing is I haven't received any kind of spam from them. Last week Colt Cabana was on, pretty cool show so far.

As little as I like him..at least this forced them to turn AJ face. The fight is kinda one sided now though.. AJ, Kaz, Beer Money, Angle, Steiner, Anderson, Crimson against the hardys,2 security guards, Rob Terry, and Jeff Jarrett.

I thought that whole angle was done pretty well, especially for TNA. I'm really interested to see where they go with it.

Well, they salvaged it and all, yeah. If Booker doesn't want to continue wrestling all that much, then TNA got lucky that they didn't end up with a half-ass, no-sting, MEM returning. Truly.

But it's still Bischoff and Dixie in the main angle on tv, followed by Angle/Jarrett in second place.

Ken Anderson, their champion, is merely a set decoration.

The show still screams of squandered potential, to me.

EDIT: 23 minutes of wrestling on a two hour show across four matches - one of those matches being a tag match between the two security douchebags and Jesse fucking Neal and Shannon fucking Moore? 3 of those matches taking up less than 11 minutes of air time (i.e., 4 minutes less than the opening segment alone)?

You can't defend this program. It's fucking terrible. I'd rather be treated like a mark than winked at like I'm a smart mark.

I thought the way they went with it is actually more interesting than MEM, but I guess that's just me. Would anyone honestly want to see Sting/Nash/Booker/Steiner? At least in this stable they have actual TNA guys, who can work the angle that Hogan/EB killing the company, etc. The rest of the show was way boring though. Sarita (is that her name?) had an OK match. Hardy/Kennedy was decent for a TNA match.

As for Anderson, you can't take him seriously as a champion anyway with the way he won the title. 20 run ins, kicked out of 4-5 Hardy finishes after a 20 minute match WHILE suffering from a concussion, etc. Plus, the Hardy title is an absolute joke. In fact I really can't remember the last time a TNA world champ meant anything, but maybe I'm being too short sighted.

That's more or less what I said.

thing is, Anderson could be a credible champion. But TNA overbooks fuckin' everything on planet earth, such that, given the way you described his win ("20 run ins, kicked out of 4-5 Hardy finishes after a 20 minute match WHILE suffering from a concussion"), my only reaction is this: no shit, it's a TNA title match.

In tonight's main event, you had a ref bump lead to no fewer than 8 guys kicking each other's asses in the ring for 2 minutes or so during a singles match, a sudden and abrupt face turn, and the show eneded with five minutes of talking centered around Eric Bischoff and Dixie Carter. That's TNA in a nutshell.

Acting like Ken Anderson can't be a credible champ b/c of the way he won the match is absurd - *everyone* who has worn that TNA belt in the past few years won in a similarly overcooked clusterfuck of a match.

I don't remember him being booked particularly strong in the month or two before he won the title, and he certainly hasn't since he beat Hardy. The match he won it in just made him look even more goofy and ridiculous. I just don't think he can be viewed as a credible champ right now. Even tonight he needed outside help to pin Hardy. I think it's just part of a bigger problem in TNA where you can't take the title or the champ seriously.

[quote name='JJSP']Is anyone in TNA not in a stable, or is pretty much 34 on 28?[/QUOTE]

:lol: You actually did a count, didn't you?

Anderson was "medically cleared" but did suffer from the concussion ~3 months prior. I'm not the biggest fan of Anderson being champ, but he's just as credible as Edge or the Miz. The Miz had to have whatshisface interfere in the last few successful title defends.

[quote name='Trakan']Anderson was "medically cleared" but did suffer from the concussion ~3 months prior. I'm not the biggest fan of Anderson being champ, but he's just as credible as Edge or the Miz. The Miz had to have whatshisface interfere in the last few successful title defends.[/QUOTE]

It's slightly different. Miz won his title that way -- cashing in his MITB seconds after Randy Orton got beat the fuck down. Miz looks somewhat cowardly and weak by doing it that way, and his role since then has been a guy who's a bit of a coward. That's his part, and he plays it quite well.

Anderson's supposed to be the conquering hero, taking TNA back from that awful... whatever the fuck faction they're supposed to be. Booking him similarly to booking a cowardly heel over in WWE isn't a good way to make your champ look strong.

well, let's be fair - Anderson is supposed to be the 'asshole,' but it doesn't feel conveyed in the booking of how he became champ.

Tito Ortiz was one of the greatest assholes in the business over the past decade and a half. When he opens his mouth, people boo him. For good reason: he talks shit, and either backed it up in the ring, or got his ass beat and continued to talk shit. Talking shit and fluking into your victories does not make one an asshole.

TNA is booking Anderson the same way ECW booked Mikey Whipwreck to run with their company's title, let me put it that way.

It's not that he lost steam but that he was never gonna go past the cruiserweights in WCW and that he was getting injured A LOT in WCW.

[quote name='davo1224']Do y'all remember when Mikey Whipwreck started balding and got really overweight? Kind of a shame :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sucked. I recently watched the three way dance from (I think) ONS 2006 between Tajiri, Super Crazy, and Guido. Whipwreck was in Tajiri's corner and looked baaaaaaad.

[quote name='Halo05']Yeah, that sucked. I recently watched the three way dance from (I think) ONS 2006 between Tajiri, Super Crazy, and Guido. Whipwreck was in Tajiri's corner and looked baaaaaaad.[/QUOTE]

585px-10.2.10MikeyWhipwreckByLuigiNovi.jpgp

...well, at least he retired those horrible, horrible t-shirts he used to wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back