The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Thanks for the tutorial. I was trying to figure out where I was supposed to bomb, and I wasn't even going in the right direction. All your tutorial needs is a picture of where the cave is after you bomb a hole in the cliffside, and it's solid.

Took stock of what extras I had for trading.

Hulls:
Demon Ship
Tropical Ship

Cannons:
Seapony Cannon

Handrails:
Pillar Handrail
Wooden Handrail

Bridges:
Restful Cabin
Shell Apartment x3

Chimneys:
Parasol Chimney
Stone Chimney x2
Demon Chimney

Wheels:
Battle Wheel
Insect Wheel
Red Wheel

Treasures:
9 Pink Coral
5 Pearl Necklace
10 Black Pearl Loop
4 Goron Amber
7 Helmrock Feather

My "rare" treasures are Crowns, Scales, and Rings. Not quite sure what parts I'd want, though I seem to have almost completed my stone and shell sets.

I just beat the 2nd dungeon
Yeah, I'm slow
, and going back to this Ocean King dungeon is already starting to get old. I don't get why you have to retrace every one of your steps. It's rather annoying. Do I have to do this a lot more?

[quote name='munch']
Yeah, I'm slow
, and going back to this Ocean King dungeon is already starting to get old. I don't get why you have to retrace every one of your steps. It's rather annoying. Do I have to do this a lot more?
[/quote]
I'm nearly finished with the game (just wanted to do some more side stuff before I finish up), and there did come a point (I think around the third trip down), that it became almost annoying enough to just give it up - but I went ahead and I think it actually gets a bit better right after that - there are a few hidden surprises (nothing super special but they make the dungeoning easier to handle). I suggest keep on keeping on.

[quote name='munch']
Yeah, I'm slow
[/quote]
Well, to be fair I found it pretty annoying on my 2nd visit too. I think I'm maybe half way through the game, but that dungeon gets better for 2 reasons.
1. You get more items/weapons. These open up some pretty good shortcuts. For example, on the first basement floor, (IIRC) there's a wall you can bomb in the upper right. Once you've got bombs, you can run pretty much directly to the key and to the stairs. On other levels, I'm sure different weapons give different shortcuts.

2. There's a checkpoint on B5 or B6. Once you've reached that checkpoint, you can choose to warp directly to that floor from the entrance. The only (small) catch is that it will deduct time from your clock. The amount of time it deducts is equal to the time it took you to get to the checkpoint originally. (Or your fastest time, if you've done it a few times)

So, what is everyone's high score with the Hero is the NW quadrant? I'm at 108 right now, but I like to just beat my score by 1 each time then die so I can get a prize. Real easy way to build up cash.

I also like to search out that Jolene girl and let her board my ship. More easy cash!

started this the other night after I bought it off some guy for $20. I'm enjoying so far, I have to admit that I shouldn't have doubted picking it up.

Finished the game Saturday night. Really loved it. I may go back and collect more ship parts, catch that last fish, and see if I can find the lingering spirit gems I'm missing to upgrade them all to x2.

I really hope we see more Zelda games in the Wind Waker universe. I love the nautical aspect so much.

[quote name='Rocko']So, what is everyone's high score with the Hero is the NW quadrant? I'm at 108 right now, but I like to just beat my score by 1 each time then die so I can get a prize. Real easy way to build up cash.[/quote]
I think I topped out at 124. Once you know the technique (dodging to the side once he starts twirling his polearm), it's not too difficult.

I also like to search out that Jolene girl and let her board my ship. More easy cash!
It's not an endless supply. Once Linebeck gives you the 200 rupee "tip" for defeating her, you get bupkiss. After that, getting boarded by her is just an annoyance. Use the frog warp to get away if she spots you after that. Though there is one more time when you'll want to seek her out (
as you're waiting for the blacksmith to forge the sword
), allowing you to more clearly establish her history with Linebeck.

Hmm. Anybody know how often the HoHos change treasure requests? the first one was no different than the Treasure Teller!

Just got the
grappling hook.
. That shouldn't be a spoiler, this is a Zelda game, after all.

So there's no way to get away from Jolene aside from warping? Bummer. She's boarded me like 20 times now. That's getting real old.

Really liking the game, so far.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']So there's no way to get away from Jolene aside from warping? Bummer. She's boarded me like 20 times now. That's getting real old.[/quote]

You can, in theory, shoot her torpedoes with your cannon, but it's VERY hard to do, especially once she gets close. Warping is your best bet.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Im starting to hit the frustration point with the Ocean King Temple... my third trip down.[/quote]

Push on through. The third time's the worst. After that, you get weapons that allow you to uncover some cool goodies and I think the warp that lets you skip 5 or 6 floors comes into play right around that point too.

I just
closed the DS to rub the symbol on my map
- this game is amazing and is really pulling out all the stops. I also love
having to blow into the microphone to put out candles or start windmills
- so clever.

I'm working my way to open up the path to the third pure metal atm. I hated the ocean king temple to I think I went in like 6 or more times (went in a time or two before I should have thinking I should be heading back there) by the time I got the last of the seacharts I was more than a little sick of the place.

[quote name='PhoenixT']I'm working my way to open up the path to the third pure metal atm. I hated the ocean king temple to I think I went in like 6 or more times (went in a time or two before I should have thinking I should be heading back there) by the time I got the last of the seacharts I was more than a little sick of the place.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mind it the 3rd time through, because of all the new shortcuts.

I'm assuming I don't need to go back there anymore, but I have no idea. I have all the sea charts unlocked.

Just beat that Goron minigame.

I really need to find the swordfish (how the hell do you find it?!) and beat the arrow minigame, as those are the only two "subquests" I haven't been able to complete thus far.

I saw a Golden part at Beedle's shop, but it was 7k rupees. Boo.

[quote name='Rocko']Just beat that Goron minigame.

I really need to find the swordfish (how the hell do you find it?!) and beat the arrow minigame, as those are the only two "subquests" I haven't been able to complete thus far.

I saw a Golden part at Beedle's shop, but it was 7k rupees. Boo.[/QUOTE]

I am still trying to get the complete golden set, I have so many of the other parts already. I wonder if you get more ship hearts for a full golden set over a full non-golden set.

Did you beat the ship cannon minigame? My high is 2800 on that one. I suck at the arrow game but have not really played it enough to get all that good at it yet. And the gordon minigame is not yet open for me despite just about beating the game.....

As for the swordfish, I see them all the time. I think I have have like 20 or so of them. I still need to find that last fish :(

How many points do you have at Beedle's shop? I am a VIP (over 200 points) with 2 of the 3 freebie cards left. I got lucky and found him on bonus point day

[quote name='fuss']I am still trying to get the complete golden set, I have so many of the other parts already. I wonder if you get more ship hearts for a full golden set over a full non-golden set.

Did you beat the ship cannon minigame? My high is 2800 on that one. I suck at the arrow game but have not really played it enough to get all that good at it yet. And the gordon minigame is not yet open for me despite just about beating the game.....

As for the swordfish, I see them all the time. I think I have have like 20 or so of them. I still need to find that last fish :(

How many points do you have at Beedle's shop? I am a VIP (over 200 points) with 2 of the 3 freebie cards left. I got lucky and found him on bonus point day[/quote]

Yeah, I beat the ship minigame.

I haven't seen one swordfish silhouette (spelling?) despite being told that I need one of those next.

I only have like 17 points at his shop. I don't buy much. I'm not sure how I could possibly accumulate enough rupees to become a VIP.

[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, I beat the ship minigame.

I haven't seen one swordfish silhouette (spelling?) despite being told that I need one of those next.

I only have like 17 points at his shop. I don't buy much. I'm not sure how I could possibly accumulate enough rupees to become a VIP.[/QUOTE]Selling treasure. I beat it last night and ended with 5000 rupees. The more expensive stuff you buy the more pts they are worth. VIP was a bust you only get 40% off items and a thank you in the mail.

Anyone got hints on beating the final boss? I just played it 4 times in a row. The sidestep jump gets me everytime. I back him into a corner and try to cross swords and it never happens. Seems like I get one set of hits in and then everything I do he destroys me. Im :wall: right now. fuck moving and attacking with the stylus. This is the second time I am super frustrated with the game because of the control.

[quote name='coltcannon']Anyone got hints on beating the final boss? I just played it 4 times in a row. The sidestep jump gets me everytime. I back him into a corner and try to cross swords and it never happens. Seems like I get one set of hits in and then everything I do he destroys me. Im :wall: right now. fuck moving and attacking with the stylus. This is the second time I am super frustrated with the game because of the control.[/QUOTE]
You need to hit him when he blocks, dodge the swings hit, and you will lock up with him and have rub out of it and hit him and that will free the hourglass orb. Three times of that and it's over.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Im starting to hit the frustration point with the Ocean King Temple... my third trip down.[/quote]
Same here. Nintendo includes a lot of time wasting crap in their games, but none of it should be obligatory.

[quote name='coltcannon']Anyone got hints on beating the final boss? I just played it 4 times in a row. The sidestep jump gets me everytime. I back him into a corner and try to cross swords and it never happens. Seems like I get one set of hits in and then everything I do he destroys me. Im :wall: right now. fuck moving and attacking with the stylus. This is the second time I am super frustrated with the game because of the control.[/quote]

Not that the other explanation was bad but there's an important step missing from it.

Try getting him into the corner so that he can't sidejump..keep swinging at him until you have to rub. Then hit him.

No d pad no thanks. I don't like my huge hand and the stylus taking up half the screen as I (nintendog drag) Link accross the screen by his collar.
Really no excuse for it.

After beating PH it motivated me to try to beat every Zelda game. Here's my list right now

Already beat
Phantom Hourglass
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Minish Cap
Zelda II The Adventures of Link

Need to beat
Link's Awakening (I know I'm ashamed..but I'm close only 2 dungeons left)
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
Zelda

I do own all these so it's just a matter of doing it.

Beat the game tonight
The ending working on two levels depending on if you've played Link's Awakening is awesome: Ballad Fish=Ocean King. fucking Awesome twist ending

[quote name='thorbahn3']Beat the game tonight
The ending working on two levels depending on if you've played Link's Awakening is awesome: Ballad Fish=Ocean King. fucking Awesome twist ending
.[/quote]

Yeah, I was wondering if that was an intentional reference.
If the Ocean King really was the Wind Fish, wouldn't he look a lot different (and be able to fly)? I guess it's enough that he's a whale, but I'm not sure I'm ready to call that a deliberate Link's Awakening reference or not.

Would love to get a definitive answer from the Phantom Hourglass creators on this.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Are you forgetting Wind Waker?[/quote]
I sure did forget that and I beat that one and love it. Highly unappreciated game. I knew something was missing. Adding it.

Two days ago my game randomly shut off after I had done an Ocean King Temple segement and a lot of sailing and random oddjobs. Haven't touched it since. Sigh.

[quote name='Rocko']Two days ago my game randomly shut off after I had done an Ocean King Temple segement and a lot of sailing and random oddjobs. Haven't touched it since. Sigh.[/quote]

Charger have?

[quote name='thorbahn3']Beat the game tonight
.[/quote]
The twist would been much cooler if there had been any hints at all before hand about it. Even the most arcane off-comment would have been appreciated. I still need to play it again to try to find a subtle hint, but my brother didn't see one either. I'm a huge Link's Awakening fan, and they threw teases everywhere in that game.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, I was wondering if that was an intentional reference.
If the Ocean King really was the Wind Fish, wouldn't he look a lot different (and be able to fly)? I guess it's enough that he's a whale, but I'm not sure I'm ready to call that a deliberate Link's Awakening reference or not.

Would love to get a definitive answer from the Phantom Hourglass creators on this.[/QUOTE]

It's not just that The ocean King is a whale. You got to remember that at the end, just like in Link's Awakening, Link wakes from a dream and only comes across subtle hints that the adventure even happened at all. Not to mention that both these games are sequels from console based Zelda games.

[quote name='thorbahn3']
It's not just that The ocean King is a whale. You got to remember that at the end, just like in Link's Awakening, Link wakes from a dream and only comes across subtle hints that the adventure even happened at all. Not to mention that both these games are sequels from console based Zelda games.
[/QUOTE]

Was LA ever linked directly to one of the console Zeldas?

I must say, after completing this game... i'm torn if it's the best Zelda game ever yet. My reasons are:

Absolutely addicting. Never had more fun playing any other Zelda game.

Best character ever. Linebeck is seriously the shit in terms of every Zelda character ever made.

So many references to every Zelda game made. There were so mane LttP references it was fantastic.

My hats off to the makers of this game for blowing away my expectations. For a touch screen only game (like KCC) it's remarkable how flawless the game plays out.

[quote name='Magehart']So many references to every Zelda game made. There were so mane LttP references it was fantastic.
[/QUOTE]

Is there a list of the references? I didnt really catch any other than the WW and LA ones.

[quote name='foltzie']Was LA ever linked directly to one of the console Zeldas?[/QUOTE]

Ripped from Wikipedia: The game is believed to be a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and if so, stars the same incarnation of Link from that game.

[quote name='Magehart']Best character ever. Linebeck is seriously the shit in terms of every Zelda character ever made.[/QUOTE] Yes, Captain Jack Sparrow
a disney character
is much better than any Zelda character :roll:

[quote name='thorbahn3']Ripped from Wikipedia: The game is believed to be a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and if so, stars the same incarnation of Link from that game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I dont normally rip on the acuracy of Wikipedia, but I dont remember anything that makes that point clear in the game.

Well, sure, but LOTS of games, movies, tv shows, comics, etc. use the
"It was all a dream....OR WAS IT?!?!?!" trope
. It's not like that uniquely ties it to Link's Awakening. But I see your point, and it is relevant.

[quote name='foltzie']Yeah I dont normally rip on the acuracy of Wikipedia, but I dont remember anything that makes that point clear in the game.[/quote]
Ditto that. Link's Awakening (which was probably my favorite Zelda game until PH) is almost entirely free-standing. I recall few, if any, links to LttP. But I could be wrong.

ok I think I offically hate this game with a passion the sole fact I have to repeatedly go down into this effing ocean king dungeon just pisses me off.
not to mention the fact I spent the last 30 effing minutes climbin my way back down from the 6th lvl to the 13th lvl only to mess up and click on a portal out of the damn dungeon so now I have to crawl all the way down the damn place again. Stuff like this makes me want to break the damn cart!

[quote name='foltzie']Yeah I dont normally rip on the acuracy of Wikipedia, but I dont remember anything that makes that point clear in the game.[/QUOTE]
The instruction manual states in the beginning sentence that this game takes place "After Link defeated the evil tyrant Ganon, and fulfilled the prophecy of the Legendary Hero." (Scan)

Plus, it was released a year after ALttP. And at the end of the game,
One of the forms of the final boss is a shadow of Agahnim, a character introduced LttP.

I can't say I loved the game. I mean, I thought it was really good, but the Ocean Temple just completely ruined everything. Frustration from that god awful place ruined the rest of the game for me, even after I
got the Phantom Sword and dug up at least 6 minutes worth of extra sand.
. If it wasn't the Phantoms, it was the fact that no matter how much time I had, it wasn't enough.

There's still a ton of mini-games and stuff to do, but I don't even feel like doing them anymore. Maybe after a break, I'll go back and get the ship parts. I really liked that part. I only need the Demon Wheel and the boat part of the ship to finish that series.

bread's done
Back