The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

[quote name='PhoenixT']ok I think I offically hate this game with a passion the sole fact I have to repeatedly go down into this effing ocean king dungeon just pisses me off.
not to mention the fact I spent the last 30 effing minutes climbin my way back down from the 6th lvl to the 13th lvl only to mess up and click on a portal out of the damn dungeon so now I have to crawl all the way down the damn place again. Stuff like this makes me want to break the damn cart!
[/quote]

Yeah that sucks I've done that too. I didn't play it the rest of the day and then just went back to it the next day. It wasn't so bad because I knew my way around the next time.

Off topic I'm right before the final boss of Link's Awakening!

[quote name='VioletArrows']I can't say I loved the game. I mean, I thought it was really good, but the Ocean Temple just completely ruined everything. Frustration from that god awful place ruined the rest of the game for me, even after I
got the Phantom Sword and dug up at least 6 minutes worth of extra sand.
. If it wasn't the Phantoms, it was the fact that no matter how much time I had, it wasn't enough.

There's still a ton of mini-games and stuff to do, but I don't even feel like doing them anymore. Maybe after a break, I'll go back and get the ship parts. I really liked that part. I only need the Demon Wheel and the boat part of the ship to finish that series.[/quote]
Dude... you can
kill Phantoms with the sword so IDK how you keep running out of time

I really did not mind going back to the ocean temple a few times.... each time I had different stuff that opened up new shortcuts or other goodies that made it worthwhile and different.

well I finally completed the game and it wasn't a matter of time not liking the ocean king temple I just don't like the entire concept of that dungeon. The whole thing just annoyed me from around lvl 5 on. It had more to do with having to repeatedly go back in the same dungeon again and again and redo the same steps over and over and over to see like one or two lvls of new content just made it not worth it to me really. The ending was pretty cool so was the last boss fight. I have to say the boss fights for me were almost the highlight of this game they were all really creative now if they hadn't done what they did with the ocean king temple I'd be giving this game nothing less than a 9 as it is I'd say 8.

One point lost for only stylus controls at times I really really REALLY wanted to use a d pad. Another point for what I feel as lack of creativity in the ocean king temple. You really shouldn't reuse one dungeon and force people to go through that many lvls of it repeatedly over and over again its just not fun for the player.

[quote name='fuss']I really did not mind going back to the ocean temple a few times.... each time I had different stuff that opened up new shortcuts or other goodies that made it worthwhile and different.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I think I shortcut to level 6 only using about 4 minutes 23 seconds and finished the entire dungeon with about 8:30 left. Starting with 23, I think. By the end, there are so many shortcuts you can take with the grapple, using the Bombchus and the Phantom sword just taking out Phantoms. I was never pressed for time. I was running around purposely to find extra stuff, while never even looking at the clock.

Finished the game last night. My only gripe:
I wish all boss battles were more like the second to last boss battle, in 2 Screen, 3D mode. I guess the giant wooden boss had that where you had to hit him with the hammer. And the snakes in the water. Maybe it was just the perspective was cool, though you could tell it was killing the DS's processor. And the last fight wasn't worth much at all.

I didn't really care about Linebeck, we could have had this adventure without him.

Now that I beat it, not sure what I'll do with the cart. I'm obviously saved right at the end, so I guess I use that game to do more exploration. Fishing, etc. The wireless game didn't really do anything for me.

[quote name='fuss']I really did not mind going back to the ocean temple a few times.... each time I had different stuff that opened up new shortcuts or other goodies that made it worthwhile and different.[/quote]

Same here although I'm only in the third dungeon so maybe I'll get sick of it but so far I think it's kind of cool to find the shortcuts and see how fast I can get through it...

[quote name='snakelda']Does anyone know how many hours left for me to beat it?I just finished boarding the ghost ship and beating the sisters.[/QUOTE]

I'd say you're a little over halfway done.

Just got the game. I'm not that experienced in this genre and was thinking of getting the guide. Should I or is there something online I should look at?

thanks

RC

[quote name='rscaramelo']Just got the game. I'm not that experienced in this genre and was thinking of getting the guide. Should I or is there something online I should look at?

thanks

RC[/QUOTE]

I don't think you need it, the puzzles are very thought out and make perfect sense. The guides at gamefaqs.com can help you with any extras you want to hunt for.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I don't think you need it, the puzzles are very thought out and make perfect sense. The guides at gamefaqs.com can help you with any extras you want to hunt for.[/quote]Agreed. Although I must say I think I will be picking the guide up at some point just because there are so many buried treasures and such; I might go through the game a second time to do everything I missed. But it's definitely not a necessity.

I own the guide and I think it is very nice to have. Plus with most Zelda guide they retain their value really well. I mean at one point the Minish Cap guide fetch decent money on ebay.

Just started playing it and having a blast thus far. Still getting used to the touch pad controls - I sometimes can't pull off a sword move correctly the first time.

[quote name='foltzie']Can someone tell me what happens when you win the Man-o-Smiles contest? Or is that a punchline in its own?[/QUOTE]

Any advice?

[quote name='foltzie']Any advice?[/quote]
You mean the trading quest that ends with
the postcard? You put it into a mailbox, and occasionally, you'll win a prize. If this is the first time you met him, then you've started the trading quest, and I believe the boat in the NW quadrant is your first stop.

Regarding the Temple of the Ocean King, the main part I found irritating was when you had to carry all of the blocks/triangles around, as it seemed to take forever. When I actually tried to avoid getting hit, the time limit wasn't so bad. I think I took 4:47 for my first halfway save, and 00:13 the second (could have had a better time, but took detours for treasure chests).

You can skip the first triangle after you get the hook shot, and it you got the extra key you can unlock the short cut that makes carry the 3 blocks a lot easier.

Just beat the game this morning. To anyone reading this that hasn't bought the game yet: Go get it now, it is an excellent Zelda game!

This is one of those games you hate to see end. Now I need to finish Twilight Princess.

[quote name='G33']You mean the trading quest that ends with
the postcard? You put it into a mailbox, and occasionally, you'll win a prize. If this is the first time you met him, then you've started the trading quest, and I believe the boat in the NW quadrant is your first stop.
[/QUOTE]

No I'm refering to getting something when you lose, but nothing when you "win". If I was missing something or if that was the intended joke.

HEy guys I just started and am having a bitch of a time rolling anyone recomend a technique they used. Im at the part in the beginning where you have to kill this dumb ass rat to get a key but it keeps escaping me and pissing me off.

[quote name='bill123']HEy guys I just started and am having a bitch of a time rolling anyone recomend a technique they used. Im at the part in the beginning where you have to kill this dumb ass rat to get a key but it keeps escaping me and pissing me off.[/quote]
You never ever really need to use the roll for any part of the game asides from getting one jem. But instead of doing a circle like the game suggest, do a little slanted scrible (as if you were trying to fill in a blank circle on a multiple choice test sheet) around the screen edges. After a few tries it becomes pretty easy but ofcourse you never really need it anyways :\

Oh and on the rat w/ the key...
Block off left exist hole then go wait in the little corridor next to the right hole. Wait till the rat starts to go the the block left hole (look on your map), then wait in the room with the unblocked right hole for the rat to come back. There's your chance!

[quote name='foltzie']No I'm refering to getting something when you lose, but nothing when you "win". If I was missing something or if that was the intended joke.[/quote]

I think that's its just a way to represent his personality. I don't believe that there's anything important about it.

Just finished the Ghost Ship. This game is SO fucking fun. I don't even mind the trips to the Ocean King's temple because I find the whole mapquesting aspect of the game intriguing. The game is just brilliant how it works so damn well for a pirate-Zelda game. The mapping and digging for treasure, the shipbuilding, everything really just feels like it has a natural place in the game. As many have said the game isn't as difficult as the other games, but it's not "easy" either. I've died a few times and have also found myself stuck for a few minutes at a time in the temples. But the game exudes so much charm anyway that it hardly matters. Now I've decided that I HAVE to play some Wind Waker when I can.

Who the hell is having trouble in the Ocean King temple. I only found one puzzel confusing the entire time and in fact quite enjoyed the way its built to enable shortcuts once you have later weapons.

I find the Ocean King Temple hard in the sense that I keep running very low on time. The puzzles are fairly simple, they just take me too long to do.

Finally picked this up since I'll be traveling most of the rest of this month. Played a little last night, just through the village saved when I entered that first dungeon on the island.

Liking the controls more than I thought I would. Not sure I'm digging them more than standard controls at this point, but they were much easier to adapt to than I'd expected thus far.

[quote name='foltzie']Who the hell is having trouble in the Ocean King temple. I only found one puzzel confusing the entire time and in fact quite enjoyed the way its built to enable shortcuts once you have later weapons.[/quote]

I'm having trouble with the third (fourth visit (the one that everyone says is the most tedious (after the checkpoint)))... i keep running low on time and then i get confused as to why I need to get on that little air vent. I run around on the ledges, get nowhere, waste time and then drop down.

part of the problem is i get frustrated and put it down for a week. then i have to rely on my map/notetaking to get me through and i still get confused.

Played some more last night. Finished the fire temple, then went to the Ocean King temple and got the next sea chart.

Still liking the game a lot, but have two issues with it so far. Edit Actually three issues.

1. Controls are better than I expected, but I'd definitely prefer just to play witih normal controls and use the stylus for note taking etc.

2. I've always hated timed sequences in games, so I hate the Ocean King temple. Just feels out of place in Zelda where I'm used to taking my time and exploring every corner of a dungeon.

3. The sailing is still boring as hell. Maybe even worse sense you just draw lines and watch it sail, tapping to shoot something everyonce in a while.

I got to the checkpoint in the OK Temple with 7:00 left. I don't think that's enough time so I'm going to try and do a "speed run" until that point... I'm really loving this game even thoguh it is taking me forever to finish... I play exclusively on the shitter at work though so that's probably the reason...

[quote name='javeryh']I got to the checkpoint in the OK Temple with 7:00 left. I don't think that's enough time so I'm going to try and do a "speed run" until that point... I'm really loving this game even thoguh it is taking me forever to finish... I play exclusively on the shitter at work though so that's probably the reason...[/QUOTE]

Mine was 6:58 or something and I had no big problems. Just keep playing and gaining more time. I even found some from a treasure map.

It truly is a fantastic game. I have to agree about the Temple of the Ocean King, however... it's not hard, it's just annoying having to go through there again and again.

I miss the feeling of exploring I got from Wind Waker, which I feel is lost with this new 'draw a line' sailing method, but it's still a damn fantastic game.

Ok so I beat it this AM...

WTF!? is up with these Zelda (This and TP) games where you get nothing when you beat the game? Nothing at all, not even a game save showing you beat it. Did I miss something?

Great Game otherwise!
-G

[quote name='carthitup']It truly is a fantastic game. I have to agree about the Temple of the Ocean King, however... it's not hard, it's just annoying having to go through there again and again.

I miss the feeling of exploring I got from Wind Waker, which I feel is lost with this new 'draw a line' sailing method, but it's still a damn fantastic game.[/QUOTE]

Agree with both of these. Especially the OK temple. Just went there for the 3rd time, and was very annoyed to have to do everything over again. That's just stupid. Once you've gotten a key and opened a door, it should stay open on future visits after you've cleared a portion and got the spirit. I hate doing shit over again.

I'm still liking the game, but currently (on way to the island with the 3rd spirit) its in the 8.0-8.5 range, where most Zelda games are in the 9-10 range for me.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Mine was 6:58 or something and I had no big problems. Just keep playing and gaining more time. I even found some from a treasure map.[/quote]

Can anyone confirm that you truly can pull off the third run with

The main thing is to make notes on your maps, so when you go back (or die and start over) you can do it as fast as possible without wasting time. Also make note of where the yellow pots that give you more time are.

It's definitely annoying though.

I like the Ocean King Temple a lot. Really stresses the map-marking and if you take good enough notes you shouldn't have any problem getting through really quickly. Coming back with a new tool always opens doors faster and in some cases you can practically skip entirely floors. I dunno, I think it's a lot of fun how different each run through it can be as you get more tools to play with.

I wish they had included a notepad along with the map, so I could just swith to it and write out actual sentences, like ideas for things to do later and such. The map is really cool but a lot of times I need more writing room.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I wish they had included a notepad along with the map, so I could just swith to it and write out actual sentences, like ideas for things to do later and such. The map is really cool but a lot of times I need more writing room.[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Personally I thought PH is the weakest Zelda out of all of them. Uninspired and linear dungeon design, no memorable music other than Linebeck's, small overworld coupled with sailing that still lasted too long somehow, the removal of Zelda game staples...I just didn't really enjoy it much.

[quote name='outlawmoogle']Personally I thought PH is the weakest Zelda out of all of them. Uninspired and linear dungeon design, no memorable music other than Linebeck's, small overworld coupled with sailing that still lasted too long somehow, the removal of Zelda game staples...I just didn't really enjoy it much.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree thus far. Just got to the ghost ship, and it's still probably an 8.0 game for me.

Just gets boring at times, and I don't like the controls much.

I just beat the game yesterday. Was my first Zelda game. Hated the The Ocean King Temple up until my last run through when
you could hit the guards and they would die.
The last battle was extremely easy once I read gamefaqs, and died a few times and finally understood what to do. Overall, it was a good, game, I give it an 8.5/10.

Also, this must be the only RPG game that when you beat it, doesn't save after the credits and stuff. Oh well, already sold it on amazon.com and will be on its way to a new owner tomorrow!

bread's done
Back