The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

[quote name='Richlough']Using the stylus to choose the boomerang's flight path looks sweet as hell .[/QUOTE]

I wonder if you can make it do such complicated figures as a star, heart, and a middle finger. :whistle2:s

This is crazy...

A new DS Lite, Super Bro game & Zelda for DS...

I just wet my pants....

This goin to put PSP in the Grave..

[quote name='Spoon_si']This is crazy...

A new DS Lite, Super Bro game & Zelda for DS...

This goin to put PSP in the Grave..[/quote]
You can say That again.

[quote name='pop311']You can say That again.[/QUOTE]

If this were about a month again I'd agree. But, of course conveniently, right after I sell my PSP, Sony busts out some great games and great plans for it. Daxter, Syphon Filter, PS1 Emulation, camera add-on.

I kinda wish I still had the thing, BUT my decision to sell it for a DS seems to be very wise after this announcement of the new Zelda and Mario game, along with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

GTA Liberty City stories is getting a port to the ps2. Some more games might as well if there good enough. I still can't believe they did that. A lot of people got the PSP for that. And this is a big fuck you to them.

[quote name='alongx']Well, looks like this is the second Zelda i'll be buying a full price this year, like a sucker[/quote]
There's nothing wrong with paying full price for a Zelda game.

[quote name='j.elles']GTA Liberty City stories is getting a port to the ps2. Some more games might as well if there good enough. I still can't believe they did that. A lot of people got the PSP for that. And this is a big fuck you to them.[/quote]

Really? I hadn't heard that. That is really shafting those who bought a PSP for GTA.

[quote name='Rig']Really? I hadn't heard that. That is really shafting those who bought a PSP for GTA.[/QUOTE]

actually its coming out in april and itll only be 30 bucks, cheaper than the psp version of the game.

Wind Waker forced me to get a GameCube, and Phantom Hourglass has done the same. It's good that it won't be out for awhile, so I can save up.

Yeah, this looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see more vids of it (probably E3). Now, if they would just make a port of OoT and Major's Mask, that would totally kick ass.

Damn!The big N keeps putting out these Zelda games, and I still need to play , LTTP, OOT, Majora's mask, Windwaker, minish cap.....

I thought it was interesting that the ship shown in the video is a steamship, not a sailboat. I wonder if you still use the wind or if you just motor around. As maybe the only guy on the planet who genuinely liked the sailing (well, at least up to the point that Link learned how to warp), I'm glad they're carrying over the nautical theming and gameplay elements.

Did you not see Link plotting his course. They'll probably insert a user controlled feature for getting around. But I for one will be using the hell out of the autopilot.

[quote name='evilomar']I really hope you don't use the sylus to move Link around, from the video they showed I got that impression.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you do, I just think the fairy (navi?) gets there before you do. That would be a very complicated and busy control system if that was the case.

[quote name='munch']I don't think you do, I just think the fairy (navi?) gets there before you do. That would be a very complicated and busy control system if that was the case.[/QUOTE]
Watch again, it's most defintely that the Fairy represents wher ethe stylus is and Link follows. I'm sure it'll be an option, but they'll likely have tradional play control in it as well.

No it won't be an option. Maybe for certain minigame type things. But seriously it would have to be like metroid prime for it to work because your hand would block the screen. And the shots had the action going on on the bottom screen in the shots you mention.

[quote name='daroga']Watch again, it's most defintely that the Fairy represents wher ethe stylus is and Link follows. I'm sure it'll be an option, but they'll likely have tradional play control in it as well.[/QUOTE]

Why couldn't it work in the same way the lock-on function did in the 3-D Zeldas? That's not to say you need a lock-on feature for this game, but the fairy may automatically travel to nearby enemies, switches, etc. That's what I had understood from the video. I really doubt full stylus control.

I'm still sticking by my statements, but I can totally understand what you guys are saying as well. Let's just wait for E3 when it's playable and see what happens. :)

[quote name='daroga']I'm still sticking by my statements, but I can totally understand what you guys are saying as well. Let's just wait for E3 when it's playable and see what happens. :)[/QUOTE]

The only reason why I say you don't control link with the stylus is that it would be a LOT of back and forth between the touch screen and buttons, which could be awkward. I'm sure if the Big N did do it that way they would find a way to make it intuitive. From the way I described it, though, it would be weird. Having a lock on system sounds about right, considering how this game probably uses a similar engine to OOT.

I have to agree with Daroga. I imagine that they will have button control(Which is probably what most people will use), but they will also have an optional setting where you can controler links movements with Navi and the stylus.

It looked a lot to me like you were stylus controlling the fairy and link followed, hopefully it's an option. I controlled my guy that way in animal crossing and it was nice, but with zelda you can't have your hand blocking half the screen like that.

So, who is the man again...
miya_knight.jpg

I think too many of you see the good graphics, and hear Zelda and bust your nuts too quick. I for one am worried about the game... it looks as if the ocean is back, meaning all exploration will be cut out just like in wind waker. Also, I'm not a fan of transistioning from stylus to control pad, and back to stylus, and back again on the fly. DS games need to be either "normally" controlled, or use the stylus exclusivily....none of the rush to get the stylus out and break away from the gameplay crap.

The game seemed a little lifeless to me as well, more like a straight up action game, no exploration, boring enemies, quick and uninteresting gameplay. Then again I could be 100% wrong about that because afterall, it is just a video. One thing I a am worried aout is the camera .... it looks really jerky, and too zoomed in. Too me it looks like an extremely generic Zelda game that's ripping off features here and there from other Zelda games, and the put in a DS package... not like a brand new epic adventure.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I think too many of you see the good graphics, and hear Zelda and bust your nuts too quick. I for one am worried about the game... it looks as if the ocean is back, meaning all exploration will be cut out just like in wind waker. Also, I'm not a fan of transistioning from stylus to control pad, and back to stylus, and back again on the fly. DS games need to be either "normally" controlled, or use the stylus exclusivily....none of the rush to get the stylus out and break away from the gameplay crap.

The game seemed a little lifeless to me as well, more like a straight up action game, no exploration, boring enemies, quick and uninteresting gameplay. Then again I could be 100% wrong about that because afterall, it is just a video. One thing I a am worried aout is the camera .... it looks really jerky, and too zoomed in. Too me it looks like an extremely generic Zelda game that's ripping off features here and there from other Zelda games, and the put in a DS package... not like a brand new epic adventure.[/QUOTE]

Your title suits you well.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']it looks as if the ocean is back, meaning all exploration will be cut out just like in wind waker. [/QUOTE]
Wait did you really mean to say this? The Ocean was nothing but exploration in Wind Waker. Each island was unique, had some quirky little thing or two on it, from money to pieces of hearts to triforce charts. I'd reserve your negitivity until someone gets some quality hands-on time with it.

[quote name='daroga']Wait did you really mean to say this? The Ocean was nothing but exploration in Wind Waker. Each island was unique, had some quirky little thing or two on it, from money to pieces of hearts to triforce charts. I'd reserve your negitivity until someone gets some quality hands-on time with it.[/QUOTE]

I think what he meant was that the majority of the vast ocean was empty; it felt like boring travel that mostly looked the same, rather than exploring on land, which is varied (and thus you feel like you explored something).

Speculating on a simple video. Now I understand why Nintendo cut the video or Metroid Prime 3 short at last years E3. Anyway lets just wait till we see some more screen shots, interviews, something. If it's coming out this year it won't be long before we hear some major news. And in the end the people who are going to buy it know they will already. Negative things aside. It's a Zelda game. Every Nintendo made Zelda game at the very least has been good. Most great.

[quote name='SpazX']It looked a lot to me like you were stylus controlling the fairy and link followed, hopefully it's an option. I controlled my guy that way in animal crossing and it was nice, but with zelda you can't have your hand blocking half the screen like that.[/quote]

After watching the video a few times I agree with you. It really looks like full stylus control for Link (at least in the video). If you look closely, the way Link moves looks VERY similar to the way your character moves in AC:WW when you are using the stylus. Kind of a "floaty" look to it.

Anyway, I really hope that stylus control is an option as well. It's one thing in AC when you don't have to be too precise very often. In Zelda, I can't imaging constantly battling using stylus control. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

BTW, I'm getting it regardless.

I too wonder if the story will be a continuation of WW. It has to be and to the previous poster(s) who said something with the finding or rebuilding of Hyrule, those are very good speculations that I wouldn't mind at all.

I love how a bunch of people are saying they can't wait to play this and we've been waiting for Twilight Princess since like two E3's ago. Yea I can't wait to play it either, but it sure would help if I actually had the Zelda game I was promised in November 2005. Iwata said Phantom Hourglass would be out later this year, I bet its pushed back a couple times for some more added functionality. Nintendo sure likes giving blue balls.

does anyone else get the subtle hilarity of the title?

a zelda game that we hadn't even really heard of all of a sudden pops up, called the phantom hourglass, when the game we've been waiting for has had its "hourglass" extended more than once?

Man. I sold my DS because i didn't use it much. That is looking to be a mistake right now. That looks great. Now if only they would do a remake of the SNES Zelda i would be in heaven.

[quote name='TBroo']does anyone else get the subtle hilarity of the title?

a zelda game that we hadn't even really heard of all of a sudden pops up, called the phantom hourglass, when the game we've been waiting for has had its "hourglass" extended more than once?[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's it. You're stupid.

I'm guessing a combination of stylus/button control, like Metroid: Hunters. Like, the stylus to move around, tap enemies to make Link swing his sword, tap Link to make him roll, L button to use secondary weapons. In this setup, the D-pad could even be mapped as action buttons. Or, D-pad to move around, L as secondary weapon, stylus taps to swing sword. Of course, I'm sure there will be a more traditional setup, but you would likely have to be pulling the stylus out a lot.

As far as your hand covering the screen, they could ship the game with an extendable stylus like this one: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b8-49-en-70-z2y.html

Edit: After watching the video again, I'm fairly sure about the "stylus taps for sword swings" mechanic, because Navi (or whatever the fairy is) turns red when Link swings his sword. I think it's also fairly safe to say you'll be drawing circles for the spin technique. As far as how you make Link move, most of the time where Navi moves, he moves, suggesting moving with the stylus, but sometimes Navi moves and Link doesn't follow. Also, not sure what it means, but the menu buttons disappear when Link runs. In any case, I'm sure we'll figure it all out at E3.

bread's done
Back