The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

I cant wiat... this game is sounding awesome. I watched On the Spot last night and they had it on there. I had no clue it was this close to release.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']This whole "collector's edition/limited edition" crap is getting out of hand. First games and now guides. What's next limited edition instruction booklets?[/quote]wouldn't surprise me one bit

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']This whole "collector's edition/limited edition" crap is getting out of hand. First games and now guides. What's next limited edition instruction booklets?[/quote]

imo, most games shouldn't have limited/collectors editions...but there are certainly games that deserve 'em

id have to agree on the limited edition guides - now those are just pointless

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']This whole "collector's edition/limited edition" crap is getting out of hand. First games and now guides. What's next limited edition instruction booklets?[/quote]

Anything to get more money out of fanboys.

Anyway,I'm gonna go the TRU route. Does anyone know the minimum amount of guides TRU stores can get?

Wasnt' sure about getting this, but I think I will go ahead and bite at TRU for the guide (the alternative would be getting a whole 10% off at EB). Most likely I will hope to return and rebuy it under the B2G1F in a couple weeks. The free guide might cause problems, but if all else fails, I'll give them the guide back too to get the game for free.

Ok I am about 30 into it and WOW what an awesome game. Looked better than I could have thought. I love all the classic sounds. The little fairy saying "hey." So cool. Tetra or Zelda should have her face slapped for being so stupid. Just a fast post I will post more later. I will play while watching Heroes.

Confirmed that my freebie from last year's B2G1 DS sale will be shipped to me tomorrow. Originally I had it for store pickup, but they canceled the order on me. After some calls, they reinstated the order sans tax and shipping charges. Now it's just waiting. Oh the waiting...

I couldn't manage to buy it anywhere today.. I see everyone on Gamefaqs with the game, yet my gamestop didn't have it.I guess Ill have to get it tomm.

Btw how many players is the wi fi battle?

[quote name='BREVITY']Just checked for you and it says Battle is Two player only.[/quote]

Damn, thats kinda lame.But its better than nothing.I hope to play one of you guys when I get the game then.

Got this a few hours ago....Have yet to check it out.
Can you just right into WiFi play or do you have the get to some point in the game first?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Got this a few hours ago....Have yet to check it out.
Can you just right into WiFi play or do you have the get to some point in the game first?[/QUOTE]
I went right into the wifi area. (though I didnt play any matches)

On a slightly different note, I got my (used) copy of Minish Cap in the mail yesterday and, aside from an unfortunately rather crushed box, the cart and instructions and inserts are all in beautiful shape. It doesn't appear to be a bootleg. Plays great. I'ved only put in a short time on the game so far, but I have to say that I found the game a bit boring initially. Too much wandering around. However, I'm in the first dungeon now, and it's definitely become a lot more fun (of course.) Anyway, glad to have this while I wait for my Phantom Hourglass to arrive from familyvideo. I also need to replace the touchscreen in my DS Lite first (I'm going to try it myself - I've got another thread on that and if anyone has done this before and has any advice/tips I'd appreciate them, but in that thread, not here.)

Gonna head to TRU for a the free guide in a few minutes.

The collector in me screams for the GS or CC offer, but a free guide is a free guide, and I'm sure I'll want the guide.

[quote name='Rocko']Gonna head to TRU for a the free guide in a few minutes.

The collector in me screams for the GS or CC offer, but a free guide is a free guide, and I'm sure I'll want the guide.[/quote]

GameFAQs' FAQ section says hello. ;)

I just picked up my copy from GameStop. I hope this game is good - I haven't played my DS in ages.... since Hotel Dusk maybe and that was like 6 months ago...

i'll probubly wait till i've beat the game to check out wifi. i'm curious about it. it looked pretty fun from the booklet's description. kind of a simple paper rock scissors strategy style game. maybe i'm wrong.

I picked up my copy today as well. Watched the opening cinematic and walked Link around a bit. The touchscreen mechanic works really well (at least so far) and the graphics are really nice. The Wind Waker style was definitely the right way to go with this game since the characters can be so expressive.

Can't wait to get into actual gameplay, but that will have to wait for later tonight.

As far as people being disappointed that the multiplayer is only 2 player, that has been the case all along. One person controls Link and the other person controls the 3 phantoms.

I just got off the inital island. I'm loving it so far, and am so glad to see the Wind Waker style revived. I just might have to replay that Gamecube gem one of these days.

[quote name='daroga']I just might have to replay that Gamecube gem one of these days.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of WW, is that game 16x9 and 480p? If so I might fire it up and give it a play through on my new HDTV before playing this.

Not plaining on picking up PH until next month when I have to do a bunch of traveling. Maybe I'll luck out and someone will have it on sale before then (none of the bonus items interest me).

Edit: Nevermind. Googled. It is 480p, but not 16x9. :( Still may give it a go though.

Any of you hear any news about the quill stylus? I registered my game and there was nothing about a free stylus.

Played a little of the main game and some multiplayer and it's good so far. Though, I've already had people disconnect on me...

[quote name='dmaul1114']Speaking of WW, is that game 16x9 and 480p? If so I might fire it up and give it a play through on my new HDTV before playing this.

Not plaining on picking up PH until next month when I have to do a bunch of traveling. Maybe I'll luck out and someone will have it on sale before then (none of the bonus items interest me).

Edit: Nevermind. Googled. It is 480p, but not 16x9. :( Still may give it a go though.[/quote]I think the Gamecube, while well populated with Progressive Scan games, has very few 16:9 games.

[quote name='hootie']GameFAQs' FAQ section says hello. ;)[/quote]

Thanks, Captain Obvious. I just have a thing for strategy guides. It's free.

It looks great but I'm still unsure about the gameplay with the stylus. I'm not far I just beat the Fire Temple. Using the boomerang is a pain in the ass and so is rolling into trees.

I would appreciate some tips on rolling. I'm maybe successful 5% of the time I try to roll. Considering I've only played Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, rolling isn't used that much and has always seemed to me kind of worthless, or am I missing something? Is it an attack?

Either way, it seems really hard to pull off so far, in Phantom Hourglass.

Taking a glance at GameFAQs, there are a ton of "rolling is broken" topics, so I guess everyone is having trouble.

I'd like to punch anyone that says the touchscreen works great. About 25% of the time I want to start walking, Link starts the run with a swing of the sword. Trying to slash sideways works about 50% of the time. When I want to roll, I have to try it 4 or 5 times before it works, and sometimes in the middle of running in a straight line I will inexplicably go into a roll. Game is a lot of fun though despite touchscreen idiocy.

[quote name='spoo']It looks great but I'm still unsure about the gameplay with the stylus. I'm not far I just beat the Fire Temple. Using the boomerang is a pain in the ass and so is rolling into trees.[/quote]

To roll into trees, just stand in front of the tree and then make the rolling gesture on the edge of the screen. Link will still crash into the tree regardless of whether he is standing still or running.

I haven't gotten the boomerang yet so I can't comment on it.

This is by far the best use of the boomerang ever. I can't wait to try out the bow and bombs when I get them. Especially bombs. One of the most annoying things about the 3D zeldas was always trying to throw the bombs in the right place, so this will be a relief.

Also, the control works fine, only problem is rolling like everyone says. But everything else is very smooth to me.

[quote name='buttle']i'll probubly wait till i've beat the game to check out wifi.[/quote]For what it's worth, the Battle Mode plays nothing like the regular game -- so you can jump in at any time regardless of your experience.
kind of a simple paper rock scissors strategy style game. maybe i'm wrong.
More like "Capture the Flag"

i am enjoying this quite a bit. Controls took a bit of getting used to, but i just finished the second temple, and i think i pretty much got it on lock. Lots of fun.

and i dont know what it is, but the wind waker style of characters always makes me laugh.
like the part after Linebeck shook Link all up and then gives him the key, and link's standing there wobbling back and forth. You got the small key! eyes all swirly...lol.

The rolling is the only hting giving me trouble now. It seems I am just holding the stylus down leading the way and I will just do a random roll. And hen I want to do the roll I have trouble. But this does not really bug me at all.

I love the boomerang! Really a few great ways to use it.

The rolling controls are annoying, but it's not needed too often(at least so far, I'm only through the first dungeon). I see what the touch controls have to offer, but on the other hand I don't think it's enough that the game had to be all touch controlled. They could've easily put all the drawing on maps stuff and all the touch controlled sailing stuff(which is easily my favorite part of the game) in and still gave us standard controls for Link himself.

I'm still enjoying the game completely so far. If nothing else, it feels great to get back to the Wind Waker universe. And like I just mentioned, the sailing is the best part. I liked the sailing in WW, minus changing the winds constantly. This game gives you all the great ocean exploration, without all the hassle of slowly aiming for the place you want to sail to and messing with the wind.

[quote name='botticus']As I realized this is a direct sequel to Wind Waker, I should probably hold off on this until I one day finish WW, no?[/QUOTE]There's a cutscene in the beginning that tells you all that you need to know, but as far as I can tell this is really a standalone plot featuring a few of the characters from WW.

[quote name='botticus']As I realized this is a direct sequel to Wind Waker, I should probably hold off on this until I one day finish WW, no?[/QUOTE]
not really they gave a quick summary of WW in the beginning. I avent played WW and didnt have any problem.

bread's done
Back