The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

oh man!!! i absolutely love this game. i thought it would be a very fun treat. but this game is awsome. i love writing on the maps whenever i want, and the puzzles that have for this are very fun. blowing in the mic is always fun, and yelling is even better. and there are more unique ds uses that i won't post for spoilers sake. but they are very very cool.

Like it so far. Looks to have a lot of collectibles. I can see this lasting me a good while since I'm not one to sit down and play for three hours at a time.

So can anyone confirm/deny that the guide from TRU is an actual guide and not a mini guide a'la the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon pre-order bonus guide?

[quote name='furyk']So can anyone confirm/deny that the guide from TRU is an actual guide and not a mini guide a'la the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon pre-order bonus guide?[/quote]

It's the full-fledged Prima guide (not the hardbound LE, however). It's ridiculously thorough, so if you suck at games (not you specifically, furyk) you'll be fine here. :lol:

Anyone else addicted to multiplayer? I've had some good fun online, unfortunately I need to employ a bit of strategy. I have to beat them enough to win, but not beat them too badly because then they will disconnect before the match is over. And did anyone mention there are achievements?? And 1p rewards for 2p accomplishments? I'm impressed.

My FC is 0602 4180 5416. I'd make a topic but I'd be far too lazy to update it.

Is it just me, or is this a really strange Zelda game? I mean, it feels like your typical Zelda game, until you think of all the standard things that are different this time. For one thing, there are no bottles, and it appears to me so far(though I can't be sure) that there are no wallet upgrades and no heart pieces as well. Also the dungeons thus far have had no compass and no map(well, no map that you need to find at least).

I can't say it's bad, because I'm enjoying this game a lot. Unfortunately, the dungeons are the weakest part so far, being straightforward and much simpler than I'm used to. Then again, there are some really brilliant puzzles mixed in as well, so maybe I'm being too hard on the dungeon design(and most likely it will get better as the game goes on).

That's why I'm loving this game. On one hand, it's something new and ambitious: an action-adventure/puzzler controller entirely with the touch screen. On the other hand, it incorporates many familiar gameplay elements from the popular Zelda series and manages to keep them fresh.

It's brilliant, and despite the good reviews, somewhat underrated. This is exactly the kind of game I like to see on the DS.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']Is it just me, or is this a really strange Zelda game? I mean, it feels like your typical Zelda game, until you think of all the standard things that are different this time. For one thing, there are no bottles, and it appears to me so far(though I can't be sure) that there are no wallet upgrades and no heart pieces as well. Also the dungeons thus far have had no compass and no map(well, no map that you need to find at least).

I can't say it's bad, because I'm enjoying this game a lot. Unfortunately, the dungeons are the weakest part so far, being straightforward and much simpler than I'm used to. Then again, there are some really brilliant puzzles mixed in as well, so maybe I'm being too hard on the dungeon design(and most likely it will get better as the game goes on).[/QUOTE]
yea, they seem to be going away from the formula a little here and there. which i think is great, just to keep it fresh. i especially like being able to collect so many rupees so early on. small wallets normally constrain my side quests in other loz games.

and i think it's cool that instead of giving you a compass they offer to sell you the info. for the chests anyway. i've started to not buy them just for the challenge.

[quote name='daroga']Anyone else addicted to sailing? I just love crusing around.[/quote]

Yup - and blasting the bad guys and jumping over the traps lol. I got theu the fog so now I have more to sail around. But darn that isle of gust or whatever the name is.... :cry:

Did I miss the bag for the bombs or the bow for the arrows?? Eh, maybe I don;t wanna know.

[quote name='buttle']and i think it's cool that instead of giving you a compass they offer to sell you the info. for the chests anyway. i've started to not buy them just for the challenge.[/QUOTE]I bought one for 20 rupees. Went over, opened it up -- and got 20 rupees. :lol:

Even though the world is much smaller, this retains the fun open world aspects of Wind Waker -- where you can just sail around discovering islands and exploring -- and get rewarded for your vigilance.

Can any of you folks with guides tell me if there's any use for collected treasures other than selling them? I have over 5k sitting in my inventory in unsold form, and want to know if I should just sell them.

i still need to explore in the game, I haven't found this fishing, even though I've just beaten the game

[quote name='Yertle']Can any of you folks with guides tell me if there's any use for collected treasures other than selling them? I have over 5k sitting in my inventory in unsold form, and want to know if I should just sell them.

i still need to explore in the game, I haven't found this fishing, even though I've just beaten the game[/quote]
Just in case.

Looking at the treasure section in the back of the map, no, they're just for selling, unless I'm missing something.

Also, for all of you, don't forget to go herehttp://www.nintendo.com/hourglass/thanks.jsp and get a free LoZ stylus!

[quote name='Rocko']
Also, for all of you, don't forget to go here and get a free LoZ stylus![/quote]

Yay - been waiting for the link to pop up! Thanks!!

So I bought a new DS a month or so ago. I'm playing Zelda the other day just as happy as can be, and I get to the second island where you're in that lower level and you have to "call out" to the other person. So I'm sitting there, talking into the mic, blowing into the mic, yelling into the mic. No response. I tried another game after that. Turns out the mic on my DS doesn't work. I need to call Nintendo. :cry:

bummer man :(. I"m really loving this game so far looks like they took everything unique to the DS and make it work pretty much flawlessly while still leaving zelda feeling like zelda. Wish the boomerang was a bit more combat friendly having to tap on the icon for it then draw a line to throw it takes longer than I'd like I miss just hitting the B button or whatever to toss the thing.

[quote name='buttle']ughh. i'm totally stuck. 24513. i don't get what i'm doing wrong.[/QUOTE]
You're looking at the numbers wrong. Flip the 4th from the left, then flip first from the left, then flip first from the right, etc etc
For selling treasures, in your game a certain item or two is worth more than the others. But in others peoples games, a different item is more valuable, to encourage trading.

[quote name='PhoenixT']bummer man :(. I"m really loving this game so far looks like they took everything unique to the DS and make it work pretty much flawlessly while still leaving zelda feeling like zelda. Wish the boomerang was a bit more combat friendly having to tap on the icon for it then draw a line to throw it takes longer than I'd like I miss just hitting the B button or whatever to toss the thing.[/quote]
Instead of tapping the icon you can instead press and hold a shoulder button, I prefer that method since it makes the gameplay feel tighter. The bigger pain is trying to switch items during combat

Found a trick to rolling. For me doing a double tap on the edge of the screen in the direction I want to go in generally gets the job done. Not perfect but does a better job than trying to draw circles.
-G

[quote name='daroga']Anyone else addicted to sailing? I just love crusing around.[/quote]

Me. That's my favorite part of the game. The scenery is beautiful and there's so much to see and do. I just started the game, so I haven't upgraded my ship at all, but that whole prospect has me very excited. I think people would have been more forgiving of Wind Waker's sailing if they could have made substantive upgrades to their ship and customized it.

I love the feeling of having an ocean in my pocket. ;)

Man, it never ceases to amaze me how some people love things that get hated on in reviews, and vice versa.

Last I heard, the sailing was considered one of the weakest parts of the game. Or I'm pretty sure I read that from 1up.

It's kind of like when a game loses points in a review for being too hard.

Then man the fuck up, bitch!

[quote name='Strell']

It's kind of like when a game loses points in a review for being too hard.

Then man the fuck up, bitch![/QUOTE]

Reminds me of reading somewhere when Hotel Dusk was knocked down a small bit due to the puzzles being too hard for newcomers.... like what the fuck
is wrong with people?

Hopefully Zak and Wiki doesn't get the same treatment...

On subject I picked up the TRU deal today.. I was going to leave Zelda sealed then I remembered the stylus bonus so now I will open it up..

I wanted to finish WW before playing this (yeah I am one of those that never finished WW).

Geez.

If you think Hotel Dusk is hard, you need to play some Monkey Island 2, Sam and Max, and The Dig.

I'm confident your head with asplode.

[quote name='Strell']Geez.

If you think Hotel Dusk is hard, you need to play some Monkey Island 2, Sam and Max, and The Dig.

I'm confident your head with asplode.[/quote]

I keep waiting for Link, Ceila, and Linebeck to break into a chorus of "A Pirate I Was Meant to Be."

[quote name='Strell']Geez.

I'm confident your head with asplode.[/QUOTE]

I dont think it was to hard. I was surprised to read that the reviewer thought it was to hard, and then proceeded to knock it due to that.

If the puzzles in Zak and Wiki end up getting knocked due to hardness that will be an injustice as well.

My adventure game collection is probably larger than all my other collections combined.

Oh, I knew you weren't the one saying it was hard. I was just saying in general.

I need to play through Sam and Max Season 1. I've had it for a few months now.

[quote name='Strell']Oh, I knew you weren't the one saying it was hard. I was just saying in general.

I need to play through Sam and Max Season 1. I've had it for a few months now.[/QUOTE]

I hear you there. Played the first two episodes... and then waited for the package to arrive as I got busy.. I was excited when it came with the bonus goodies, and now have yet to put it back in.

The deal with Zelda and the guide was way to good to pass up. Maybe I will jsut jump into this game before finishing Wind Waker... I hate going back to games I have not touched in a year or more and trying to get back up to speed.

I hate how I got it off their site with the extra DVD, and then they released it in store with MORE extra stuff.

Gahhhhhhhhh.

To take this back on topic....

That's when I asked the pirate about the steering wheel in his pants, and he said ARRRR! It's drivin' me nuts!

[quote name='Strell']I hate how I got it off their site with the extra DVD, and then they released it in store with MORE extra stuff.[/quote]

Link? I still need to get it.

Hey, I'm on topic. I said Link. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']Link? I still need to get it.

Hey, I'm on topic. I said Link. ;)[/QUOTE]

Here's what comes in the box. Basically just some character art, a poster, some extra little things like that. Plus, like, the box, which I thought I'd get when I ordered it off their site a few months ago.

Actually the only difference might be the box itself and the poster, but dammit, I'd love those! :(

[quote name='pete5883']
You're looking at the numbers wrong. Flip the 4th from the left, then flip first from the left, then flip first from the right, etc etc
For selling treasures, in your game a certain item or two is worth more than the others. But in others peoples games, a different item is more valuable, to encourage trading.[/QUOTE]

that's halarious. i've got to hope that i'm not the only one who has had trouble with this. thanks.

I'm really loving this game. This is the first Zelda game i've acually wanted to play. It may get me into the serious and get me to finally beat Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess :p

By the way, I didn't play windwaker too much, and I still play it fine.

I don't think the issue is that you have to have played Wind Waker before to enjoy this, but rather that the entire basic plot of Wind Waker is given away in the opening scene of Phantom Hourglass.

Anyway, I'm just to the third temple now. And I would have to agree with everyone who said sailing was the best part of this game, because it really is.

[quote name='pete5883']I thought the sailing and exploration was the best part of Wind Waker too. But people don't like that opinion.[/QUOTE]

Sailing was a lot better my second playthrough. I wasn't wrapped up in trying to finish the game. I appreciated the largeness of the world a lot more.

I finally started playing and I just made it off of the first island. VERY cool game so far - the touch controls were something I thought I would hate but they make the game.

Is Phantom Hourglass running on a fairly heavily tweaked version of the Animal Cross DS engine? Just the view and the way the shovel works, etc., makes me think that it might be, much like Ocarina of Time ran on the Mario 64 engine.

I'm thinking about picking up windwaker and maybe the collectors disk some time... the only problem is that there about $40 used at gs, and new there still like $50? (Windwaker, no the collectors)...

If I enjoy this, but I did not enjoy windwaker, should I give it another try?

Edit: wow its only 17 on gamestop.com... if its that price in store, i'll surely pick it up.

[quote name='ep2011']I'm thinking about picking up windwaker and maybe the collectors disk some time... the only problem is that there about $40 used at gs, and new there still like $50? (Windwaker, no the collectors)...

If I enjoy this, but I did not enjoy windwaker, should I give it another try?

Edit: wow its only 17 on gamestop.com... if its that price in store, i'll surely pick it up.[/quote]yeah, Wind Waker is a Player's Choice so is only $17 used. :)

[quote name='daroga']yeah, Wind Waker is a Player's Choice so is only $17 used. :)[/quote]

Or what I do a lot is get the non player's choice edition for the same $17 price :p (My store has 4+ so most likely they will have both)

bread's done
Back