The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Anybody run into this: I bought a ship part, but it never showed up in my inventory, and I can't upgrade to it.

For what it's worth, the part was the
sickle anchor

All other parts I've bought or found work fine. Is this a glitch or did I do something wrong?

Well, I just finished the fire temple and I'm wondering how I'll have enoguh rupees for everything! I've seen at least 2 gems by now that cost 500 rupees each, and I only have 300-some!

Fun game. Not too sure why everyone loves sailing though.

I'm 3 dungeons in and absolutely loving this game. I'm surprised some critics are ragging on it for being "more of the same" as I'm finding it to be the most original Zelda game in ages. Aside from the touch-screen controls, writing on maps, and other DS specific gimmicks there's all kind of changes to the Zelda formula. Like they've gotten rid of bottles, pieces of heart, and dungeons no longer require finding maps or compases. There's also all sorts of new items. I mean I'm genuinely curious and excited to see what these soul gem doohickies will do (so please don't spoil it for me). And lest we forget about the Metal gearesque Temple of the Ocean King. And while we've seen 2D Zelda games and sailing in the 3D realm, it's nice to see the 2 gameplay styles merge so seemlessly. Now I'm not saying all these changes are for the better (I'm a little worried they may have scaled things down a bit too much and made the game too streamlined and easy), but certainly the game feels pretty original.

On a side note, this game really makes me want to replay Wind Waker. Though I remember being dissapointed by that game's sailing as you had to play a song and watch a short cutscene every friggin time you wanted to change direction. Phantom Hourglass it a whole lot better in that regard.

Wow, talk about a game audience divided. I read some reviews and between them and the CAGs here I don't know if this is the greatest Zelda since the 64 days, or if this game is too mainstream/dumbed down, or if sailing is the best part or just a pain in the ass, etc., etc...

What did they replace bottles, pieces of hearts, and all the normal Zelda stuff with to make this game so fun besides ship upgrades? Seems like without that stuff it wouldn't BE Zelda!

Well crap. I completed the second visit to the Ocean King Temple and made progress on Cannon Island and forgot to save. I'm too used to Ratchet and Clank Size Matters and Taiko no Tatsujin Portable on PSP that autosave. :bomb:

Just finished playing some PH myself. Yes it's a neat game although I am still adjusting to the controls. I find it a little difficult to swordfight as my actions are often interpreted as regular "move" commands. Maybe I am just not being aggressive enough with the stylus. I am a little hesitant to play the DS really hard until I get a Hori screen protector (I bought some generic one at TRU when I got PH, and it completely blows. So bad that I didn't even bother to put it on after I took it out of the package). I like the note-taking on the map as now it will be easier to keep track of things you still need to do on the island. I only wish the screen were higher res or bigger so that I could write more on the maps :)

Anyways IMO sailing in this game is not as fun as I found sailing to be in WW. A very non-conventional viewpoint I know as many people hated the sailing in WW but I loved it. I think this time it's not as fun because there is no "active" control of the ship due to the pre-plotting of the course. That said, combat might be a lot easier later on with the ship on autopilot. It's not that sailing is bad in this game but I will definitely not be taking as many pleasure cruises as I did in WW (and yes I did sail for fun a lot when I played through WW)! As an aside, the King of Red Lions was also one of my favorite video game characters I have ever encountered. Don't know why, but it just struck me as a very creative and neat idea for a character.

The other thing I thought was kind of funny was that the old guy had to show you how to use the sword in the beginning. Obviously I know why they did it but if you think about it, this is supposed to happen soon after WW finishes, in which Link became a true hero- where is all the 1337 gear he picked up in the previous game? ;)
I don't think he left it behind at the end of WW when the underwater world flooded did he?

P.S. I recommend getting a full-sized stylus for this game, as I could imagine using the tiny DS stylus would get very fatiguing after a while. Personally I use a stylus pen that I bought several years ago for my PDA- it's the Sanford PhD Multi- a 3-in-1 pencil, pen, and stylus rolled into one unit. I'm not sure I would invest in a fullsize aftermarket stylus imported from Japan when you can pay practically the same amount (or probably less) and get a nice pencil/pen/stylus combo from almost any office supply store.

http://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-...00006IE59/ref=pd_sbs_op_1/002-1060100-0064818
(This is what I have)

Ruahrc

Does anyone have tips on how to roll? I still can't figure out how to do it consistantly. I sometimes roll randomly and sometimes I can't roll when i try to.

Also, I'm using the "Battle Stylus" from PDAPanache and I love it. This is the first time that I used it more than a few minutes, and I'm not getting tired and the orange tip really helps.

Lastly, if I like this game but didn't like either windwaker or twilight princess, do you think if I play orcarina of time again I will start liking the zelda series? I give up too easily, theres nothing to pull me into the series. Also, what are the chances my N64 cartriges will still be working (and saving)?

[quote name='ep2011']Does anyone have tips on how to roll? I still can't figure out how to do it consistantly. I sometimes roll randomly and sometimes I can't roll when i try to.[/quote]

You have to draw little circles with the stylus at the edges of the screen. You'll get used to it.

So far I've beaten the first three dungeons and the ship. That's probably just half of the game. The only things on the bad side for me are the low difficulty and not that strong storyline. Everyting else is like a Zelda should be.

[quote name='daroga']Exploding seagulls FTW.[/QUOTE]

I wondered if I was the only one to do this. They should attack, like Cuccos if you abuse them too much... that'd be great. ;)

[quote name='MisterHand']Anybody run into this: I bought a ship part, but it never showed up in my inventory, and I can't upgrade to it.

For what it's worth, the part was the
sickle anchor

All other parts I've bought or found work fine. Is this a glitch or did I do something wrong?[/quote]Are you going to the shipyard with them?

Is there any use for the fish you catch other than
showing them to the old man on Bannan Island
?

Also, I'm having trouble finding
bigger fish other than the first three you show the man to get the bigger lure

[quote name='Rocko']
Also, I'm having trouble finding
bigger fish other than the first three you show the man to get the bigger lure
.[/quote]

(about fishing)
I am still trying to catch a fish above the rusty swordfish myself. Every so often I see a second, different fish shadow pop up on the screen. This looks different and is faster than the shadow you get the basic fish from. But I can never seem to get a 'hit' on it.

And has anybody beaten the record of 2500 on the other game? The closest I got was 2460. :baby:

[quote name='fuss'](about fishing)
I am still trying to catch a fish above the rusty swordfish myself. Every so often I see a second, different fish shadow pop up on the screen. This looks different and is faster than the shadow you get the basic fish from. But I can never seem to get a 'hit' on it.

And has anybody beaten the record of 2500 on the other game? The closest I got was 2460. :baby:[/quote]

Fishing.
I can't find the swordfish! How did you find it? Was it a normal shadow? I can only find the 3 base fish.

I got 2500 exactly and got a special gift. It was:
A second bomb bag.

WTF? I always get screwed in Zelda fishing. I fished ~25 times and caught the same 2 types of fish every time. How the hell am I supposed to get different kinds of fish, because it's obvious the game is not going to tell me.

Beat the game last night, great game. But fuck fishing.

[quote name='MisterHand']What's the difference between choosing "left-handed" and "right-handed" at the beginning?[/QUOTE]
I'd imagine it switches the controls for the d-pad (map, items) to the XYAB buttons.

The d-pad stuff is always actively mapped the YAB buttons and vice versa, regardless of handedness. The actually difference is that the item icon is flipped to the other side of the screen for easier access, and the hearts end up on the unnatural right as well. The arrow on the dialogue balloons also flipps I believe

[quote name='Yertle']The d-pad stuff is always actively mapped the YAB buttons and vice versa, regardless of handedness. The actually difference is that the item icon is flipped to the other side of the screen for easier access, and the hearts end up on the unnatural right as well. The arrow on the dialogue balloons also flipps I believe[/QUOTE]I'm left-handed, and that's how it looks for me. Interesting. Makes sense, though, since you don't want your hand over critical information.

From screenshots, it looks like Link is always left-handed. Unlike TP for the Wii, which was a travesty.

Guys I"m stuck on something on the ghostship I shouldnt be anyone give me a hand?

Anyone know the order of the switches on the ghostship, I found the headstone with the order 24513 and when I pull them in that order from left to right it gives me an error even reversing it from right to left dosen't work its really pissing me off >_

[quote name='PhoenixT']Guys I"m stuck on something on the ghostship I shouldnt be anyone give me a hand?

Anyone know the order of the switches on the ghostship, I found the headstone with the order 24513 and when I pull them in that order from left to right it gives me an error even reversing it from right to left dosen't work its really pissing me off >_

[quote name='BLink']So far I've beaten the first three dungeons and the ship. That's probably just half of the game. The only things on the bad side for me are the low difficulty and not that strong storyline. Everyting else is like a Zelda should be.[/quote]

I'm close to where you are (beat the third dungeon, about to head out after the Ghost Ship) and I'm loving the game. The central story in this game seems a bit weak (as it was in Wind Waker), but I think the charm in both games is more in the side stories that you only see progress if you do the side quests (the Old Wayfarer and his family on another island, the mermaid and her sister the pirate, etc.) It's a bit like Monkey Island in that the islands function almost as little mini-worlds, so it's more like a collection of little stories rather than everything contributing to one central narrative as it would in, say, Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time.

I got 2,500 in the target game and I think I got a second bomb bag as well (though I believe you were allowed to choose from three chests...I suspect the others may have been ship parts...or maybe you would have gotten the bag no matter which you chose). One tip: If you do break 2,500, stop at 2,520. I stupidly rang it up to 2,560 or thereabouts, which is going to be really hard for me to beat to get another big prize (though the consolation prizes for coming close are decent).

The arrow game seems downright impossible. I see no way I'm going to even approach 1,700. The highest I was able to muster was 800 something.

The boss battles are indeed fabulous. How many of you freaked out
in the third boss battle when you realized you were seeing from the bosses POV?
?

The boss battles is what I heard the most complaints about before the game hit. Yet, I'm enjoying the bosses more in this game than any other Zelda game, and perhaps more than any other game, period. They're all well-designed and very, very different from each other and from most other bosses in the series (with similarities feeling more like nods to old bosses than recycled ideas).

[quote name='TheMoor']
Pull them exactly as it says, but not from left to right. Pull the 4th one first, then the first one, then the 5th one, and so on. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

ok this is so messed up the order is
Ok so the order is 4,1,5,2,3 why is that the order when the tombstone says it should be 2,4,5,1,3 ?

I like the travelers ship in the NW quadrant. It's a neverending source of treasure if you play your cards right and don't suck.

[quote name='Tybee']One tip: If you do break 2,500, stop at 2,520. I stupidly rang it up to 2,560 or thereabouts, which is going to be really hard for me to beat to get another big prize (though the consolation prizes for coming close are decent).[/quote]

Spoiler about prizes related to point amounts.

Beating your old high score only gives you a red rupee in addition to a prize. Otherwise, there are a few different prize tiers, the best being 2500+ and the second best being 2,000-2,499. The former is either a ship part or big green rupee (after you get the bomb bag), and the latter is (I think, not sure) a red rupee, big green rupee, or ship part. So you can't really lose if you get 2,000 points, since you'll at least make your rupees back.

Unrelated, can you trade items? I haven't looked into wifi at all but there's a lot of ship parts and I'm hoping you can trade to get a whole set.

If you can, it'd be a great way to get rich off of treasure if the Treasure Teller is different in every game. All of my treasures he is offering a mere 50 rupees for, but hopefully I could trade with someone else who can give me a valuable treasure (and mine will be valuable to them).

[quote name='Rocko']Spoiler about prizes related to point amounts.

Beating your old high score only gives you a red rupee in addition to a prize. Otherwise, there are a few different prize tiers, the best being 2500+ and the second best being 2,000-2,499. The former is either a ship part or big green rupee (after you get the bomb bag), and the latter is (I think, not sure) a red rupee, big green rupee, or ship part. So you can't really lose if you get 2,000 points, since you'll at least make your rupees back.

Unrelated, can you trade items? I haven't looked into wifi at all but there's a lot of ship parts and I'm hoping you can trade to get a whole set.[/quote]I'm pretty positive you can...
I found a place to do it (there's a cave on Mercay with an eyeball switch that opens up the path) but have no one to trade with; haven't tried over WFC since I never use it (can't be bothered to change my wireless security).

[quote name='MisterHand']I'm left-handed, and that's how it looks for me. Interesting. Makes sense, though, since you don't want your hand over critical information.
[/quote] Oh I know, I'm left-headed too; I rejoiced when I saw it was one of the first questions asked by the game when i was starting my file

I hate the target game too, the highest I can get is 1950. To get a 2000 you pretty much have to hit anything that's not a girl. I got 1900 one time and was able to count only two targets I wasn't able to get. The mini-games have extreme expectations

[quote name='daroga']TYet, I'm enjoying the bosses more in this game than any other Zelda game, and perhaps more than any other game, period.[/QUOTE]
Let's not go nuts.

Ooo...I'll have to find that trading cave. Sadly, I sold all my redundant ship parts. I'll hang on to them for trading from now on.

Ship parts are so irritating, I have a couple sets only missing one or two pieces, and I'm not finding them by killing enemy ships or daily shopping at beedle's. I'm a frikkin' platinum member at his shop

I have a question about when you fight Bellum

Anyone else having/have trouble trying to do Ciela's new power where she lets you stop time? I spent almost an hour just trying to do that shit once. And the sad part I looked into the guide I got with it and though I do what they say, the shit still doesn't work. fuckER!!

Executing that bit was a little tricky for me at first as well.
You have make the hourglass shape using the same stroke pattern as on the door. Also don't try to take up the whole box, just make a quick small one near the center of the box, works much better.

[quote name='Yertle']Ship parts are so irritating, I have a couple sets only missing one or two pieces, and I'm not finding them by killing enemy ships or daily shopping at beedle's. I'm a frikkin' platinum member at his shop[/quote]
You can get ship parts by killing enemy ships? Wha? I always just shoot them and they sink. Do I have to use the salvage arm or something?

[quote name='Tybee']You can get ship parts by killing enemy ships? Wha? I always just shoot them and they sink. Do I have to use the salvage arm or something?[/quote]

There are two sizes of pirate ships. The small ones aren't salvagable but when you take out a large one it temporarily leaves an X on your map that you can salvage from once.

[quote name='Draekon']There are two sizes of pirate ships. The small ones aren't salvagable but when you take out a large one it temporarily leaves an X on your map that you can salvage from once.[/quote]

Hmmm...I just completed the Ghost Ship, but I've yet to see a large ship other than the ships with the training guys on them. Do they show up on the map? How do you distinguish them?

They don't show up on the map, but they do show up consistantly in an area of the map which you can mark on your map as a reference. Often near islands

Latter part of the game.

On my mission to get the
Last Sea Chart
in an effort to aquire
the last Pure Metal
. I got my mid-way-point time on the Ocean King Temple down to 1 minute 58 seconds (down from an inital, horrid run og 8:05 ;) ). So that ought to help.

[quote name='Yertle']Ship parts are so irritating, I have a couple sets only missing one or two pieces, and I'm not finding them by killing enemy ships or daily shopping at beedle's. I'm a frikkin' platinum member at his shop[/quote]

Play the cannon game or fight the hero in the ship in the NW quadrant. Both yield ship parts.

I'm taking it slow myself and just revealed
the location of the third spirit

I keep winning rupees never ship parts from the cannon game, it's usually faster to farm enemy ships for me.

What's everybody's treasure values so far? mine off the top of my head:
Pink Coral: 50
Feather: 50
Pearl Necklace: 150
Zora Scales: 150
Ruto Crown: 150
Goron Amber: 800
Dark Pearl Loops: 800
Regal Ring: 1500

My treasure off the top of my head, sorta:

I only have a few versions of treasure. Feather, Scales, Crown and Amber dfinitely, and they're all 50. Boo!

Found the route to Freedle on my lunch break (he's on the little island on the NE side of Mercay.

It appears the trading happens via tagging (i.e., when you leave your DS wifi active and shut the lid and walk around and hope someone else is randomly doing the same), which is utterly useless. Can you trade directly via wifi somehow, I hope?

For instance, Yertle, I think the roc feather in my game is worth 1,500. I'm not sure because I just saw my first one today in the Mercay girl's store (the last treasure I hadn't seen) and she wants 1200 or something for it, so I'm assuming it's worth a lot because none of my other treasures are worth that much (maybe the Goron amber...haven't tried to sell that yet).

I was browsing the GameFAQs forums a while back and saw some guy who was looking for one item and said that he assumed every knew how to trade. Some other guy had what he wanted and they traded friend codes. So there must be some way, somehow, to trade directly.

Maybe it involves battling via wifi? The guy mentioned three chests, and putting items in them. Do you ante items when you battle a friend online? I haven't done the wifi battling yet.

[quote name='Rocko']The guy mentioned three chests, and putting items in them.[/quote]These are the boxes that are in the NE side of Mercay, I'm guessing, but I still have not done anything with it. I'm gonna be honest: I've played wifi online with Mario Kart like a year ago and not since. But perhaps I'll see what my friend code or whatever is, and then myself and others can experiment with this. Not now though.... feeling sorta sick and don't want to bother with it... so someone else will most likely step up before I get off my lazy ass.

bread's done
Back