The Madworld Thread (Sega/Platinum Games) - Out Now

It's good to hear that the reviewer found it hard. I mean, this is from the guys behind Viewtiful Joe, so it's expected, but the videos made it look pretty easy.

I don't get what the appeal is of this game. I watched the videos and it looks so boring. The enemy AI is dumb. You just grab them and throw them into stuff or cut them with some type of weapon and watch as the blood gushes out. It looks like it will get old fast.

[quote name='ananag112']I don't get what the appeal is of this game. I watched the videos and it looks so boring. The enemy AI is dumb. You just grab them and throw them into stuff or cut them with some type of weapon and watch as the blood gushes out. It looks like it will get old fast.[/quote]
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. You just described pretty much every video game ever.

[quote name='The Crotch']It's good to hear that the reviewer found it hard. I mean, this is from the guys behind Viewtiful Joe, so it's expected, but the videos made it look pretty easy.[/quote]

becareful with that. seeing many arguements from wiiskiier and dr.mariokart on dead rising wii, they proved that not everything is as what it seems. so don't rely solely on the videos. go check it out and see for yourself as wiiskiier himself did for dead rising wii.

I really want to pick this up, but full price for only 6hrs. and no one to play multiplayer with, I don't know if I should wait or not. It looks so awesome though!

[quote name='evergoo']It's really disappointing that this game is only in 480i.

That means if you are a component cable user, you would have to switch to composite in order to play the game. What a hassle to do so back and forth, especially when I cannot tolerate playing all my other games in 480i.[/quote]

What? You don't have to switch cables. 480i can be passed over component just fine.

They came out with dvd players that used component cables before they came out with progressive scan dvd players.

YES!!! SO happy this is getting good reviews. I just watched the IGN Video Review, and now I cannot wait until Friday to get this. This looks like it's shaping up to be one of the best games on the Wii. I'm totally digging the music, too. I would go out of my way to grab this tomorrow, but if I wait until Friday I can get the Resident Evil 5 + $20 giftcard deal at Toys R Us and get Madword for $30.

Madworld for $30 is win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops guys, I guess I've been smoking too much weed lately.
Just kidding!

I've been gaming through my monitor and X2VGA 2 for over 1.5 years now and haven't been able to play in 480i because the vga adapter only produces hd output and not sd. I also have an older vga adapter that accepts only composite cables because it can't do 480p or higher.

Time to edit my post and undue some of the damage. #-o

[quote name='js1']I really want to pick this up, but full price for only 6hrs. and no one to play multiplayer with, I don't know if I should wait or not. It looks so awesome though![/quote]
Ah, the old "length=value" argument. I've found this really only applies to male prostitutes and English cucumbers.

[quote name='js1']I really want to pick this up, but full price for only 6hrs. and no one to play multiplayer with, I don't know if I should wait or not. It looks so awesome though![/quote]

Do it to support Platinum games.

[quote name='The Crotch']Length != value, but has a huge impact on it.[/quote]
I've never understood this. It doesn't apply to movies, novels, music or any other art forms I may be excluding. I'd rather play a fantastic, shorter video game and then play it again sometime later than give up after 20+ hours of playing a decent (but not great) game and never go back to it. Yes, the pinnacle would be a long game that is consistently great all the way through, but the Okami's of the world are rare.

*edit* I just realized this comes out today. Dammit. I don't know if I will have time to get it. Stupid work.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wii skiier']I've never understood this. It doesn't apply to movies, novels, music or any other art forms I may be excluding. I'd rather play a fantastic, shorter video game and then play it again sometime later than give up after 20+ hours of playing a decent (but not great) game and never go back to it. Yes, the pinnacle would be a long game that is consistently great all the way through, but the Okami's of the world are rare.

*edit* I just realized this comes out today. Dammit. I don't know if I will have time to get it. Stupid work.[/quote]

same here and how did this idea of having more game time equals to better quality came about? there are some pretty good short games i've played [metroid for instance] and it sure beats those 60+ hour an rpg or games.

[quote name='wii skiier']I'd rather play a fantastic, shorter video game and then play it again sometime later than give up after 20+ hours of playing a decent (but not great) game and never go back to it.[/quote]False dichotomy. Yes, as you note, awesome and longish games are rare, but so's my money, and the fact that they're rare doesn't magically make short games somehow better.

Now, I bought House of the Dead 'cause I found it for $10 off. If I see something like that for MadWorld, it can come to papa. If not, I'll pick it up in September.

I have to agree with Crotch on this one. $50 is a lot to pay for a game that probably has little replay value and is only 6 hours long, no matter how good those 6 hours are. The fact that good games at a fair price are rare is no reason to overly praise games that are too short. Being too short, especially when you are paying $50 for the privilege, is absolutely a valid criticism.

Or to put this in the terms you folks have chosen to use, what if you paid $10 to see a studio film and it proved to only be 30 minutes long? You might feel a bit cheated then even if those 30 minutes were damn good, because what you got was a short film, not a feature length film, and nowhere in the advertising did it say that it was a short film.

EDIT: I suppose that 6 hours isn't *that* bad, though, so perhaps it isn't fair to compare to a short film. I think I'm just bitter about paying $50 for *any* video game. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']I have to agree with Crotch on this one. $50 is a lot to pay for a game that probably has little replay value and is only 6 hours long, no matter how good those 6 hours are. The fact that good games at a fair price are rare is no reason to overly praise games that are too short. Being too short, especially when you are paying $50 for the privilege, is absolutely a valid criticism.

Or to put this in the terms you folks have chosen to use, what if you paid $10 to see a studio film and it proved to only be 30 minutes long? You might feel a bit cheated then even if those 30 minutes were damn good, because what you got was a short film, not a feature length film, and nowhere in the advertising did it say that it was a short film.

EDIT: I suppose that 6 hours isn't *that* bad, though, so perhaps it isn't fair to compare to a short film. I think I'm just bitter about paying $50 for *any* video game. :)[/quote]
I have paid $10 - $20 many times for studio films that clock in under an hour. Even more at times to get out of print or foreign films. I think part of the disconnect here comes from the concept of "replay value" (I'm going to ignore the "too short" statement as it is entirely relative). If I love Madworld beyond belief and finish it in six hours, I will be that much happier because when I want to play through it again (which I do with games I love) I know I will be able to complete it in a set amount of time and can budget for that accordingly.

The other part I think comes from the fact that I have a tendency to dawdle and explore in games I'm enjoying which increases my total play time.

Thank you for seeing my point crotch, and thanks for being a dick wii skiier!;) The point is money is tight, I don't really have anyone to play multiplayer with and chances are I won't play through it more than once because I have other games I want to play and finish.

But, on the other hand I do have $20+ in GS credit that I can use towards it and I could trade some of the other game things I have towards it to lessen the cost.

Believe me when developers seem to go out of their way to create something fresh and new, I believe they should see some of my money on a new copy, it's just I usually seem to enjoy games that are in the 10 hr+ range. I guess it's one way that I trick myself into believing I'm getting more for my money.

[quote name='wii skiier']
The other part I think comes from the fact that I have a tendency to dawdle and explore in games I'm enjoying which increases my total play time.[/QUOTE]

This is what I tend to do when I play my games, so that's one of the reasons I tend not to replay games because I am generally so through when playing them. So, in the end I WILL get Mad World it's just a matter of when..

[quote name='The Crotch']False dichotomy. Yes, as you note, awesome and longish games are rare, but so's my money, and the fact that they're rare doesn't magically make short games somehow better.

Now, I bought House of the Dead 'cause I found it for $10 off. If I see something like that for MadWorld, it can come to papa. If not, I'll pick it up in September.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you missed the Amazon pre-order then. :(

[quote name='crunchewy']I have to agree with Crotch on this one.[/quote]I don't hear this often enought.

[quote name='crunchewy']$50 is a lot to pay for a game...[/quote]$60. And thank God I don't buy anything new for the 360. Ugh...

[quote name='wii skiier']I have paid $10 - $20 many times for studio films that clock in under an hour. Even more at times to get out of print or foreign films. I think part of the disconnect here comes from the concept of "replay value" (I'm going to ignore the "too short" statement as it is entirely relative). If I love Madworld beyond belief and finish it in six hours, I will be that much happier because when I want to play through it again (which I do with games I love) I know I will be able to complete it in a set amount of time and can budget for that accordingly.

The other part I think comes from the fact that I have a tendency to dawdle and explore in games I'm enjoying which increases my total play time.[/quote]I too dawdle a lot and own very few games that I don't replay (*glares at Warrior Within*). But replaying, say, Planescape: Torment is inevitably going to be a much richer experience than replaying a six-hour-long beat-em-up, and the length is a large part of that.

I may have missed it, but who has confirmed there's no replay value? I thought the gameplay looked sort of similar to the Devil May Cry style, and I've played DMC countless times...

I don't think anybody ever confirmed no replay value. Closest to that that I've heard is that the IGN reviewer complained that a lot of the combos that you do will be very same-y.

[quote name='js1']... and thanks for being a dick wii skiier!;) [/quote]
I dick, therefore I am.

Also, despite all the Internet arguing just for the sake of arguing I've been doing, I completely understand having to ration gaming purchases and using length as a decision-making factor. I'm at a point where it's not such a concern for me, but I spent many years scraping and flipping to be able to support my game habit and I'll never lose the approach of assigning a maximum reasonable value to any purchase whether I can afford full price or not.

[quote name='wii skiier']I dick, therefore I am.

Also, despite all the Internet arguing just for the sake of arguing I've been doing, I completely understand having to ration gaming purchases and using length as a decision-making factor. I'm at a point where it's not such a concern for me, but I spent many years scraping and flipping to be able to support my game habit and I'll never lose the approach of assigning a maximum reasonable value to any purchase whether I can afford full price or not.[/QUOTE]

:grouphug: It's cool. that's what I'm facing scraping and trying to get the most out of my purchases anymore since my hours got cut about a year ago at work. I think while I'm out Thursday I'll see if GS has any copies.

Ok, to me, most games these days have almost no replay value. The only games that have replay value are ones that are score based, and not where the score is completely meaningless and ignored by everyone. I mean where what matters is getting a high score and trying to beat your high score. Mostly this is just old-school arcade games and more recent games that take that as their approach, though often they muck it up and so are fail. Anyway, those kinds of games have replay value. Other games do not, at least not for me. I don't get value out of replaying other types of games. I also don't watch movies more the once, with rare exception, which is probably quite the same thing. Other people like to watch movies over and over, but I get no satisfaction out of doing that. I've got movies I own and I have absolutely no idea why I own them because I've only seen them once and will never watch them again.

A- from David Ellis of 1UP
4.5*/5* (Game of the Month, May issue) from Patrick Shaw and Tae K. Kim of Gamepro

And last but not least:
lol, outrage.
The National Institute on Media and the Family is giving Nintendo what for today over the release of the ultra-violent MadWorld, saying the Wii make has "shed its 'family friendly' reputation with MadWorld's release."

Seems NIMF missed the release of Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, and The House of the Dead: Overkill, as Dr. David Walsh bemoans Sega's MadWorld, which "brings violent videogames to a once family-friendly platform." Pfft. No one who has seen the atrocities performed in Escape From Bug Island has any illusions about the Wii being family-friendly anymore!

IGN's write-up of the press release—which we can't actually find on NIMF's web site or the usual press release hiding places—warns parents about the game's many decapitations, eviscerations and bisections, all performed with Wii Remote motion control.

We also don't see NIMF mentioning the actual publisher or developer of MadWorld, Sega and PlatinumGames, respectively, in the quoted release.

Hopefully, though, concerned parents will notice the "M for Mature" rating on the cover, just to the left of the dude wielding a bloodied chainsaw.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I may have missed it, but who has confirmed there's no replay value? [/QUOTE]

No one.

I'm renting this one first. Two issues for me is 480i ( I know standard def stuff looks like ass on my TV. ) and by all accounts the game seems pretty short. If there is any replay value I may still pick this one up somewhere down the line.

Am I the only one amused by the idea that something as subjective as replay value can be "confirmed" or not, as if it was just a yes/no bullet point somewhere? I expect to see "CONFIRMED: It's fun" next.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Am I the only one amused by the idea that something as subjective as replay value can be "confirmed" or not, as if it was just a yes/no bullet point somewhere? I expect to see "CONFIRMED: It's fun" next.[/quote]
CONFIRMED: Shut up your mouth.

I want to download the soundtrack really badly now, but I should probably play the game first. I like matching my music to a context.

Speaking of playing the game, has anyone started yet?

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I want to download the soundtrack really badly now, but I should probably play the game first. I like matching my music to a context.

Speaking of playing the game, has anyone started yet?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Amazon has yet to get this to me. But at least it just shipped and I won't be waiting too long. It should arrive Thursday along with New Play Control! Pikmin. I understood that Amazon usually did pretty good on delivering games on release day or the day after. But I wouldn't know since I rarely buy release day titles unless they are Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit. Was my understanding wrong?

Off topic, I never bought Pikmin (GCN) because it was $50 for so long and when it finally got clearanced, it was out of production and I couldn't find it in any of the stores near me that were supposedly clearing it out.

Amazon hasn't even put my pre-order into process yet. Guess I won't know how fun this is until next weekend. :p

Yeah Amazon must of received a lot of pre-orders for this, since it looks like I'm on the second shipment, Estimated ship date is the 16th.

I don't mind waiting when I get a deal.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I want to download the soundtrack really badly now, but I should probably play the game first. I like matching my music to a context.

Speaking of playing the game, has anyone started yet?[/QUOTE]

Man I want this soundtrack so bad...Damn you Sega for not giving NA a soundtrack!

[quote name='MorPhiend']Unfortunately, Amazon has yet to get this to me. But at least it just shipped and I won't be waiting too long. It should arrive Thursday along with New Play Control! Pikmin. I understood that Amazon usually did pretty good on delivering games on release day or the day after. But I wouldn't know since I rarely buy release day titles unless they are Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit. Was my understanding wrong?

Off topic, I never bought Pikmin (GCN) because it was $50 for so long and when it finally got clearanced, it was out of production and I couldn't find it in any of the stores near me that were supposedly clearing it out.[/quote]
Every time I have ever preordered a new release anything from Amazon I don't get it on release day and I live in the same city as one of their primary warehouses. When they do finally ship it a few days late, I end up getting it the same day it shipped though.

I saw the two Play Control games (which I will get soon) at Target today but not Madworld, which is what I actually wanted. I didn't have time to go anywhere else. If I don't find it by the weekend I'll probably order from Amazon since it's still less than MSRP and I have a $25 gift code + Prime.

bread's done
Back