The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

Seeing the Patriots kick the shit out of the Texans so far makes me hope that maybe all those Houston fans who became master shit-talkers all of a sudden will shut up. At least wait until they actually win something. Patriots fans never shut the fuck up, but at least they have a right to brag with their titles.

[quote name='bvharris']I pity anyone who went ahead and rolled with the Texans defense.[/QUOTE]

I would never start a defense against the Patriots. Never. It's rare that the Patriots offense loses them games and much more often that they run the score up to the fucking clouds.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Seeing the Patriots kick the shit out of the Texans so far makes me hope that maybe all those Houston fans who became master shit-talkers all of a sudden will shut up. At least wait until they actually win something. Patriots fans never shut the fuck up, but at least they have a right to brag with their titles.[/QUOTE]

They (Houstonians) mostly used to shit all over the Texans and now that they've managed to start getting winning seasons they're suddenly the greatest team ever. Worst fairweather fans ever. It's one thing to not support your team as strongly when they're losing but to actively shit all over them while their losing just to do a 180 as soon as they start winning is beyond fucking annoying.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Patriots fans never shut the fuck up, but at least they have a right to brag with their titles.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I remember being pretty quiet on February 4th, 2008. :cry:

[quote name='Calipso']I live in New England, been around the Pats craze more than most people since 2001.

I just don't see New England winning. I can see maybe a 2 or 3 point favorite due to home field.........but Houston is going to tear apart New England's horrible pass defense. When the Pats D finally steps up to stop the pass, Arian Foster will go around the outside to avoid Wilfork & Crew.

In lighter news: Sucks being a Panthers fan. Don't know how they lost to the Chiefs.[/QUOTE]

hehehe.. hohoho.. hahaha..

Patriots don't have a horrible pass defense; they just haven't been cohesive or consistent.

[quote name='GBAstar']hehehe.. hohoho.. hahaha..

Patriots don't have a horrible pass defense; they just haven't been cohesive or consistent.[/QUOTE]

Right.......:roll:

Already pretty drunk and I have a final tomprrow. This has been Schaub's absolute WORST game so far this season. Texans finally score at halfway in the fucking 3rd quarter. The only positive in this that I can see for the Texans is that they will be out for blood if they meet the Pats in the playoffs.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']They (Houstonians) mostly used to shit all over the Texans and now that they've managed to start getting winning seasons they're suddenly the greatest team ever. Worst fairweather fans ever. It's one thing to not support your team as strongly when they're losing but to actively shit all over them while their losing just to do a 180 as soon as they start winning is beyond fucking annoying.[/QUOTE]You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the Texans' fanbase. You can't be the youngest and 5th most valuable team in the NFL and have fairweather fans at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PimpLimp']Already pretty drunk and I have a final tomprrow. This has been Schaub's absolute WORST game so far this season. Texans finally score at halfway in the fucking 3rd quarter. The only positive in this that I can see for the Texans is that they will be out for blood if they meet the Pats in the playoffs.

You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the Texans' fanbase. You can't be the youngest and 5th most valuable team in the NFL and have fairweather fans at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, at this point that might be the case but 5 years ago they weren't. They've been winning for a couple seasons now so of course their value has gone up, as well as their fans' interest. Hey, I've been a fan of them since the beginning, I can even send you a picture of my David Carr jersey, I'm just sayin' there's a lot of people that haven't been their fans since the beginning though.

Edit-Had to wiki him to see if he was still playing and not only is Carr still a backup for the Giants but he also got a Super Bowl ring with them... Who'd have thought...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, at this point that might be the case but 5 years ago they weren't. They've been winning for a couple seasons now so of course their value has gone up, as well as their fans' interest. Hey, I've been a fan of them since the beginning, I can even send you a picture of my David Carr jersey, I'm just sayin' there's a lot of people that haven't been their fans since the beginning though.

Edit-Had to wiki him to see if he was still playing and not only is Carr still a backup for the Giants but he also got a Super Bowl ring with them... Who'd have thought...[/QUOTE]

He's still playing. Had some rough time with the Texans and that horrible offensive line they had for years. His brother plays too currently at Fresno State. Had a pretty good season for them

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, at this point that might be the case but 5 years ago they weren't. They've been winning for a couple seasons now so of course their value has gone up, as well as their fans' interest. Hey, I've been a fan of them since the beginning, I can even send you a picture of my David Carr jersey, I'm just sayin' there's a lot of people that haven't been their fans since the beginning though.

Edit-Had to wiki him to see if he was still playing and not only is Carr still a backup for the Giants but he also got a Super Bowl ring with them... Who'd have thought...[/QUOTE]Oh I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and I agree for the most part. But I think of the Texans fanbase as pretty diehard and who I was responding to just made a pretty dumb generalization IMO. And this is Texas we're talking about, anytime ANY football team does moderately well you're going to see bandwagoners.

And fuck David Carr. I knew the moment the Giants won last year that he was getting a ring that he didn't deserve.

Done watching this game too. I'd rather just not go to bed in a shitty mood.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Oh I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and I agree for the most part. But I think of the Texans fanbase as pretty diehard and who I was responding to just made a pretty dumb generalization IMO. And this is Texas we're talking about, anytime ANY football team does moderately well you're going to see bandwagoners.

And fuck David Carr. I knew the moment the Giants won last year that he was getting a ring that he didn't deserve.

Done watching this game too. I'd rather just not go to bed in a shitty mood.[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah, that was me that made that "dumb generalization" and followed up with the post you agreed with...
[quote name='PimpLimp']Already pretty drunk and I have a final tomprrow.[/QUOTE]
haha, now it all comes together... ;) Good luck on that final tomorrow.

Big deal Pats win at home ( all their "tough " games are at home ) and still have 3 losses with the NFLs easiest schedule against a team who had nothing on the line.

[quote name='usickenme']Big deal Pats win at home ( all their "tough " games are at home ) and still have 3 losses with the NFLs easiest schedule against a team who had nothing on the line.[/QUOTE]

Texans had nothing on the line?

If they lose both games to Indianapolis the Texans go from a #1 seed to a #5...

So I'd say there was a lot on the line in this game.

Although if the Texans want to stay positive about the loss, the same thing happened to the Jets 2 years ago. Get hammered 45-3 on Monday Night late in the season to New England and then beat them in the Playoffs the same season.

The 49ers vs Seahawks week 16 game got flexed to Sunday night. So the next two Sunday night football games will be 49ers at Patriots and then 49ers at Seahawks.

[quote name='DT778']The 49ers vs Seahawks week 16 game got flexed to Sunday night. So the next two Sunday night football games will be 49ers at Patriots and then 49ers at Seahawks.[/QUOTE]

Be interesting to see how San Fran looks to stop the Patriots.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Be interesting to see how San Fran looks to stop the Patriots.[/QUOTE]

Exactly how the Giants beat them in the Super Bowl twice, pass-rush the day lights out of them without having to blitz guys out of coverage.

[quote name='usickenme']Big deal Pats win at home ( all their "tough " games are at home ) and still have 3 losses with the NFLs easiest schedule against a team who had nothing on the line.[/QUOTE]

I brought that point up to my dad last night. They always seem to play big games at home and consistently have one of the easiest schedules in the league (or so it seems to me that is). Kind of... strange... if you ask me...

It's not like they go out and schedule games with Division II schools. There is a formula to the NFL schedule, and they play what they're given. Their schedule strength isn't helped by the shitty division they play in. I can't believe you buttheads are making me defend the Patriots.

I feel the same way right now pitfall...they've played the ravens, broncos, seahawks, rams, colts, texans and have the 49'ers coming up. It isn't like they are playing a weak schedule. You play the teams that you are given, and win the games in front of you.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It's not like they go out and schedule games with Division II schools. There is a formula to the NFL schedule, and they play what they're given. Their schedule strength isn't helped by the shitty division they play in. I can't believe you buttheads are making me defend the Patriots.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='perdition(troy']I feel the same way right now pitfall...they've played the ravens, broncos, seahawks, rams, colts, texans and have the 49'ers coming up. It isn't like they are playing a weak schedule. You play the teams that you are given, and win the games in front of you.[/QUOTE]

There are those who are a little delusional that think the NFL is staged just like the WWF (now WWE). My favorite theory is that the NFL handpicked the Patriots to go on a 10+ year run of success in response to the 9/11 attacks... (Patriots.. Patriotism.. Good for ratings... Good for business...)

Schedules are picked years in advance and worked around the TV networks. The patriots play the same amount of home and away games as every other team the NFL. I really doubt NFL executives try to guess what teams will be good and which ones won't over the next few years so that they can give the Patriots the easiest possible schedule.

Bottom line the patriots most likely aren't as good as they played against the Jets or the Texans and for sure the Texans aren't as good as their two loss record suggests.

[quote name='tgk2044']I brought that point up to my dad last night. They always seem to play big games at home and consistently have one of the easiest schedules in the league (or so it seems to me that is). Kind of... strange... if you ask me...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's total bullshit that everyone else in the NFL has to play the mathematically determined schedule and the Patriots get to pick who they play and where. :roll:

[quote name='GBAstar']
Schedules are picked years in advance and worked around the TV networks. [/QUOTE]

This is a common misconception. There is absolutely nothing about what teams are scheduled to play which that is "picked". The only manual part of the process is when the games are played (and I suppose which gets banished to London), but never who or where.

Every team plays:
- Home and away against every team in their division
-2 home and 2 away against a division in their conference which rotates every three years. The home/away in this series alternates as well.
-1 home and 1 away against teams from the other two divisions in their conference, corresponding to which teams finished in the same spots the prior year (so the 1st place teams always play the other 1st place teams, etc)
-2 home and 2 away against a division from the other conference which rotates every 4 years. These also alternate home/away.

There is zero choice involved, which makes the "why do they always have an easy schedule" thing one of the most bizarre conspiracies in sports.

The reason the Patriots always seem to have an easy schedule is because the rest of the teams in their division have been mediocre for the last decade. There is no mystery to it.

Well its like how playing the NFC West always seemed like to be give me wins, this year its a division you really don't want to play. Well aside from Arizona, but injuries and poor planning are playing a factor there.

Patriots schedule has been pretty tough, its not their problem the rest of the AFC East has a problem establishing a good team and that the NFC West has looked really bad the last couple of years. If the playoffs started now, the Pats have played 4 of the other 5 teams in the playoffs, the Steelers being the only team they haven't played.

[quote name='dafoomie']If you want to see a creampuff schedule, look at the Broncos.[/QUOTE]

that's idiotic. Atlanta, Texans, New England, Baltimore,

plus close to Playoff teams like Cincy, Steelers, TB

yeah they have KC but only 2 games.

Plus the Broncos have to actually go on the road for their though games unlike the Patsy's. The good teams the Patsy's played on the road = a loss.

[quote name='usickenme']that's idiotic. Atlanta, Texans, New England, Baltimore,

plus close to Playoff teams like Cincy, Steelers, TB

yeah they have KC but only 2 games.

Plus the Broncos have to actually go on the road for their though games unlike the Patsy's. The good teams the Patsy's played on the road = a loss.[/QUOTE]
Only good team the Broncos have beaten all year is Pittsburgh, at home.

Their last 11 games:

San Diego 5-8
New Orleans 5-8
Cincinnati 7-6
Carolina 4-9
San Diego 5-8
Kansas City 2-11
Tampa Bay 6-7
Oakland 3-10
Baltimore 9-4
Cleveland 5-8
Kansas City 2-11

Cream. Puff.

[quote name='soulvengeance']Patriots lost to Arizona, nuff said. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that's comforting to the Texans.

The Patriots are currently outscoring the next closest team (Denver) by more than a touchdown per game. Only one other team in NFL History has ever done that: the 2007 Patriots. Only two other teams in the last decade have even outscored the next closest by more than a field goal (and one of those was also the Pats).

No one is arguing that the Pats are invincible, they're clearly not. Nor is the NFL all about who scores the most points (though any one game is, obviously). But trying to make any argument that they're not an incredibly dangerous team is a one-way ticket to looking silly. It's especially silly after what happened last night. Their defense has also looked just light years better after the Talib trade. It's been night and day.

No team is perfect. Right now the Patriots are the top dog in the AFC.

Let's see what happens when the Niners defense goes up against the Patriots offense. Should be fun.

[quote name='bvharris']The reason the Patriots always seem to have an easy schedule is because the rest of the teams in their division have been mediocre for the last decade. There is no mystery to it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And this is what is so annoying about it - total incompetence for over a decade in that division. You need basically 10 wins to get to the playoffs (and sometimes more when Cassell is your QB) but that's basically 5 free wins on average every year give or take. So without doing anything you can pencil them in for 5 wins meaning they only need to go 5-6 against everyone else. Not that tough even though they obviously do better than that for the most part. Also, I'm just so sick of the Patriots and handsome Tom Brady (even though he is QBing my fantasy team to the title this year).

When I look at the most dangerous teams in the NFL right now that are playoff bound, I think to myself 'which team hasn't peaked yet?' I say that because that's the team that is going to win the Super Bowl. In my opinion, that team is currently the Green Bay Packers. They've won some important games here lately, and they're also going to be getting some key figures back soon while maintaining some semblance of comfort in the playoff hunt.

I think Washington and Indianapolis have peaked, and 2 weeks too early at that. If Washington gets in, they won't get past either SF, GB or SEA. Indianapolis will either face Denver or Baltimore; neither of which is a cakewalk IMO. But for Indy, I'd say Denver is the preferred matchup for them. But I think both of these teams have shown signs of wear the last couple of weeks with hard wins. Because of that, I don't think their chances of going deep in the Playoffs are high.

bushbodyslam.gif

-Loved the beat downs by the Seahawks, Giants, and Niners GG

-LOLtexans

-Chargers playing good once the rumors of norv being fired surface LOL

-Bengals turn into the Bungles and completely beat themselves with no thanks to the head official

-Detroit choking once again, there's no reason they shouldn't have been up 3 scores going into half other than being of course Detroit

-Falcons continue to look like one of the weakest top seeds in recent memory.

-Giants and Redskins playing like the 2 top teams in the NFC east like they should.

-Browns surprisingly playing for a low draft pick

-LOLjets even in victory

-AP showing more proof why he should be MVP

and next week will be crazy.

[quote name='bvharris']By the way, this is the Patriots offense playing without their best receiver. Just some food for thought.[/QUOTE]

Best redzone receiver maybe but i still give the title of best to Welker

Almost all of this week's games are going to be good - most have playoff implications. This is why the NFL is so popular - just about every team can suck on year and be relevant or even good the next unlike baseball where I cal already name 20 teams that have no shot at the post season next year.

[quote name='packerfan10']Hope the Packers can do it this week and with a little help from San Fran might be able to get a #2 seed.[/QUOTE]

I think the 49ers can beat New England by punching them right in the mouth. They are a tough team who won't have to blitz to get to Tommy Boy. Although, the Patriots offense is pretty sick - historic even - so who knows. They lost to the Cardinals which seems seriously impossible and like it happened 2 years ago.

[quote name='Javery']I think the 49ers can beat New England by punching them right in the mouth. They are a tough team who won't have to blitz to get to Tommy Boy. Although, the Patriots offense is pretty sick - historic even - so who knows. They lost to the Cardinals which seems seriously impossible and like it happened 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

You mean the 49ers/Patriots game hasn't been played yet? Listening to all the experts discuss the game, I thought they already had.

[quote name='Javery']I think the 49ers can beat New England by punching them right in the mouth. They are a tough team who won't have to blitz to get to Tommy Boy. Although, the Patriots offense is pretty sick - historic even - so who knows. [/QUOTE]

Their offensive line is no joke either. The problem with the "getting to Brady" approach, and what I'm sure keeps opposing defensive coordinators up nights, is that Brady gets rid of the ball so damned quickly. Being able to keep Welker and Hernandez from getting open will be the key. If they don't do that, it doesn't really matter how well their pass rush plays.

[quote name='Javery']
They lost to the Cardinals which seems seriously impossible and like it happened 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

In NFL terms, it basically did. People will cite that game all year no doubt, but the bearing it has on the way the team is playing right now is pretty much zilch. Every week the loss to the Cards seems more embarrassing and the loss to the Seahawks less, but neither is really instructive in terms of evaluating how the teams are playing now.

[quote name='bvharris']Their offensive line is no joke either. The problem with the "getting to Brady" approach, and what I'm sure keeps opposing defensive coordinators up nights, is that Brady gets rid of the ball so damned quickly. Being able to keep Welker and Hernandez from getting open will be the key. If they don't do that, it doesn't really matter how well their pass rush plays.[/QUOTE]

True but that is the blueprint to beating them - rush 4 and jam the receivers at the line so they can't do the quick slants and outs. They just kill you with 5 yard passes all day (which is why they are on pace to shatter the record for first downs in a season). They are more balanced this year with Ridley so that also leads to some defensive issues.

You need to have a solid game plan to beat the Patriots - even if you are more talented, Belichick will find your one weakness and make you do that for the entire game while at the same time taking away the thing you do best no matter what that thing is. God I hate them.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...this is a crazy story, and it's definitely one that doesn't really sound premeditated. If I had to guess, I'd say he got into a fight with his girlfriend (maybe she was cheating on him?), grabbed his gun and shot her, realized what he did, went to his coach for "help", found out that the police were on their way, and was so riddled with guilt and a fear of going to prison he acted rashly again and took his own life. I don't see the guy driving across town to kill himself in front of his coach intentionally. Just a crazy sequence of events there.[/QUOTE]

Looking like my educated guess was pretty close to what actually happened.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-son-questioned-paternity-160900469--nfl.html

As part of the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, the league and union will support Zoey through her college years. Under the "surviving-child" benefit, Zoey would be entitled to a $600,000 life insurance policy, a $100,000 retirement account and $200,000 for each of the four seasons Belcher played in the NFL.

Zoey's guardian or her estate will receive $108,000 per year over the next four years. When Zoey turns 5, she will receive $48,000 and then $52,000 per year until she is 18 or 23, depending on whether or not she attends college.

I didn't think your family could collect on insurance if you killed yourself. Knowing this I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cousins-start-injured-rg3-sunday-030733205--nfl.html

Kirk Cousins is starting for the Redskins against the Browns today, which I'd assume means that Griffin won't be playing at all since he would be starting if he could play close to his full capabilities.[/QUOTE]

I have never been a bigger Browns fan than I am today. My son thinks it is hilarious that the Browns have orange helmets but we will be rooting for them.

bread's done
Back