The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

[quote name='dafoomie']I did not agree with every call, but they lost because KG and Pierce didn't do the job tonight. [/quote]

And yet the Lakers still won the game despite Odom and Gasol not showing up to play.

As far as the Pierce knee episode Bill Simmons had a well written take in his article that posted today on ESPN

A: Probably the way the L.A. fans reacted to Paul Pierce, booing him for four quarters, shouting "faker!" at him and even carrying signs like, "Hey, Pierce, this is the Finals. Not the Oscars!" I'm starting to wonder if KneeGate is going to follow him for the rest of his career. Before it does, allow me to make two points in his defense since I have followed him for 10 years:

1. Before the 2000-01 season, Pierce was stabbed 11 times at a Boston nightclub, suffered a collapsed lung and nearly bled to death while staggering to the hospital. Less than two weeks later, he played in Boston's first exhibition game. If the same thing had happened to Vince Carter, he would still be on the injured list seven years later.

2. During the 2002-03 season, Pierce got slammed face-first to the floor by Amare Stoudemire, breaking his two front teeth. Thirty minutes later, he was back playing with a mouthpiece. The following day, he underwent emergency dental surgery for seven hours. The day after that, he played against Portland with a mouthpiece and ended up hitting the game-winner.

In my opinion, he's not only one of the toughest Celtics ever, he's one of the toughest Boston athletes ever. Not counting Tankapalooza 2007 (when the team shelved Pierce with a knee injury for half the season even when he probably could have played), Pierce missed just 21 games in nine seasons and played through a variety of injuries and ailments for mostly horrendous teams. So for anyone to insinuate that he is either (A) weak or (B) someone who would milk an injury, is just insane. On top of that, for the Lakers' fans to have the gall to question any other NBA star's character is three times as insane. In retrospect, Pierce's only mistake was not diffusing the Lakers fans before Game 3 by settling with his right knee out of court and buying it a $4 million diamond ring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080611

[quote name='Setzer']And yet the Lakers still won the game despite Odom and Gasol not showing up to play.[/QUOTE]
Pierce and Garnett >>>>>>>>>>>> Odom and Gasol

Pierce and Garnett are closer in talent to Kobe than they are to those two, especially Odom. I don't see Pierce and Garnett going 8 for 35 again, while Gasol has been on and off and Odom has been a no-show this entire series.

The Celtics played like crap. That was by far their worst game of the playoffs, yet they were still very much in it (thank you Ray Allen). If that was LA's best shot, I'm not afraid of them at all. LA should be at least a little better Thursday but the Celtics should be exponentially better if either Pierce or Garnett does anything.

[quote name='dafoomie']Pierce and Garnett >>>>>>>>>>>> Odom and Gasol

Pierce and Garnett are closer in talent to Kobe than they are to those two, especially Odom. I don't see Pierce and Garnett going 8 for 35 again, while Gasol has been on and off and Odom has been a no-show this entire series.

The Celtics played like crap. That was by far their worst game of the playoffs, yet they were still very much in it (thank you Ray Allen). If that was LA's best shot, I'm not afraid of them at all. LA should be at least a little better Thursday but the Celtics should be exponentially better if either Pierce or Garnett does anything.[/quote]

LOL

Lakers best shot?

They've played like shit the first 3 games of this series with the exception of the 4th qtr. in Game 2 and yet they still managed to pull off a win last night.

If Lamar and Pau had showed up to play last night, Boston would have easily been crushed. The Lakers haven't played their best against the Celtics and yet they're still in this series. If the Lakers can get a good performace out of Pau and Lamar tomorrow night, this series will be tied.

[quote name='jlarlee']As far as the Pierce knee episode Bill Simmons had a well written take in his article that posted today on ESPN

A: Probably the way the L.A. fans reacted to Paul Pierce, booing him for four quarters, shouting "faker!" at him and even carrying signs like, "Hey, Pierce, this is the Finals. Not the Oscars!" I'm starting to wonder if KneeGate is going to follow him for the rest of his career. Before it does, allow me to make two points in his defense since I have followed him for 10 years:

1. Before the 2000-01 season, Pierce was stabbed 11 times at a Boston nightclub, suffered a collapsed lung and nearly bled to death while staggering to the hospital. Less than two weeks later, he played in Boston's first exhibition game. If the same thing had happened to Vince Carter, he would still be on the injured list seven years later.

2. During the 2002-03 season, Pierce got slammed face-first to the floor by Amare Stoudemire, breaking his two front teeth. Thirty minutes later, he was back playing with a mouthpiece. The following day, he underwent emergency dental surgery for seven hours. The day after that, he played against Portland with a mouthpiece and ended up hitting the game-winner.

In my opinion, he's not only one of the toughest Celtics ever, he's one of the toughest Boston athletes ever. Not counting Tankapalooza 2007 (when the team shelved Pierce with a knee injury for half the season even when he probably could have played), Pierce missed just 21 games in nine seasons and played through a variety of injuries and ailments for mostly horrendous teams. So for anyone to insinuate that he is either (A) weak or (B) someone who would milk an injury, is just insane. On top of that, for the Lakers' fans to have the gall to question any other NBA star's character is three times as insane. In retrospect, Pierce's only mistake was not diffusing the Lakers fans before Game 3 by settling with his right knee out of court and buying it a $4 million diamond ring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080611[/quote]

Bill Simmons is a great writer, dude's a total homer though.

The problem I don't think your getting is that, nobody think's the guy is a pussy. Far from it, it's just that certain play made him seem weaker than he is. Will it follow his career? Probably. Nobody is generalizing him, their just calling out that one play.

[quote name='dafoomie']Pierce and Garnett >>>>>>>>>>>> Odom and Gasol[/quote]

Just because Pierce and Garnett are better than Odom and Gasol doesn't mean that you can discount their terrible offense because they are still rated as the 2nd and 3rd best players on the Lakers team. Yes, we all know that Pierce and Garnett played terrible in last nights game, but so did Odom and Gasol who averaged a combined 33 points, 18.4 rebounds, 7 assists, (a little over) 2 blocks per game in the regular season, but they both scored a paltry 13 points total in last nights game! Also, Odom has been getting into foul trouble early in each game which hurts him and the whole team as well when you factor in the foul limits and the free throw shooting.

[quote name='Setzer']If the Lakers can get a good performace out of Pau and Lamar tomorrow night, this series will be tied.[/QUOTE]
If Gasol and Odom play well, and Pierce and Garnett don't, certainly. But if all 4 play well, Celtics win.

[quote name='dafoomie']You seriously think he had the wherewithal to play up an injury he just suffered seconds before? Pierce heard his knee pop after a 280lb man fell on him, then he felt his knee hurt. He doesn't know whats going on. The doctors and the trainers decided to carry him off and not allow him to put weight on it until they could determine what happened. If Kobe were in the same situation, his doctors and trainers would've done the same.

What in the world would Pierce gain by playing up an injury? He was just getting hot. It could've completely deflated his team. Pierce had never not walked off the court under his own power in his entire life.

The doctors and trainers took every precaution, as they probably should. Thats their job. Maybe it was unnecessary but you don't want a guy to further aggravate an injury because he's too proud to be carried off the floor.[/quote]

Didn't you totally bash LeBron and post pictures of him holding up an Oscar?

[quote name='ph33r m3']Didn't you totally bash LeBron and post pictures of him holding up an Oscar?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because every time there was contact he'd put his hands up over his face like his eyes got gouged out.

Whatever, I'm not going to argue this anymore. If you guys want to say that a guy who got stabbed 11 times, got his lung punctured, came within minutes of bleeding to death and still played 2 weeks later and played all 82 games that year, is a wuss, is weak, is faking, or whatever, then feel free to look stupid.

[quote name='dafoomie']Yeah, because every time there was contact he'd put his hands up over his face like his eyes got gouged out.

Whatever, I'm not going to argue this anymore. If you guys want to say that a guy who got stabbed 11 times, got his lung punctured, came within minutes of bleeding to death and still played 2 weeks later and played all 82 games that year, is a wuss, is weak, is faking, or whatever, then feel free to look stupid.[/quote]

How do you know somebody didn't get contact on his eyes? Has somebody poked you in the eye? It hurts.

[quote name='dafoomie']Yeah, because every time there was contact he'd put his hands up over his face like his eyes got gouged out.

Whatever, I'm not going to argue this anymore. If you guys want to say that a guy who got stabbed 11 times, got his lung punctured, came within minutes of bleeding to death and still played 2 weeks later and played all 82 games that year, is a wuss, is weak, is faking, or whatever, then feel free to look stupid.[/quote]

I don't think Pierce is faking it, he just overreacted to the injury, everyone did. His knee is bothering him, but its not an excuse for the way he played last night, especially after the way he played in Game 2, and the rest of Game 1 (after the injury)

Check this out, Garnett's illegal screens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XoZ6R-rM-Y

There's five of them here, and only from Game 3, he finally got called for one at the end of the game.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_a.html?nav=ArticleList

3. Screening
When a player screens in front of or at the side of a stationary opponent, he may be as close as he desires providing he does not make contact. His opponent can see him and, therefore, is expected to detour around the screen.

If he screens behind a stationary opponent, the opponent must be able to take a normal step backward without contact. Because the opponent is not expected to see a screener behind him, the player screened is given latitude of movement. The defender must be given an opportunity to change direction and avoid contact with the screener.

To screen a moving opponent, the player must stop soon enough to permit his opponent to stop or change direction. The distance between the player screening and his opponent will depend upon the speed at which the players are moving.

If two opponents are moving in the same direction and path, the player who is behind is responsible for contact. The player in front may stop or slow his pace, but he may not move backward or sidewards into his opponent. The player in front may or may not have the ball. This situation assumes the two players have been moving in identically the same direction and path before contact.

[quote name='bardiya27']Check this out, Garnett's illegal screens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XoZ6R-rM-Y

There's five of them here, and only from Game 3, he finally got called for one at the end of the game.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_a.html?nav=ArticleList[/QUOTE]

I hate how inconsistently this and blocking/charging fouls are called. Honestly I don;t see a fix the players move so fast I can see why they get missed. It is funny that basketball is called a non contact sport and nothing could be further from the truth. Especially during boxing out.

[quote name='dafoomie']If Gasol and Odom play well, and Pierce and Garnett don't, certainly. But if all 4 play well, Celtics win.[/quote]

Doesn't matter what Pierce and Garnett do, if Gasol and Odom show up the Lakers win. Period. The Lakers are the better team, sorry.

[quote name='bardiya27']Check this out, Garnett's illegal screens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XoZ6R-rM-Y

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_a.html?nav=ArticleList[/quote]

Ok lets set the record straight here. There are a number of NBA rules that are completely derange from what they are suppose to be.

I think about 90% of all screens are illegal.....just like a good 40% of all drives to the basket are actually travel. Charging, over the back, blocking.

There basically isnt 1 nba rule that doesnt get completely worked over during the course of a season and play offs.

So lets not single out just one of the hundreds and try to make something of it.

Shaq charges people all the time.
Wade travles all the time
Jordan used to push defender off all the time as did Reggie Miller.

Hell there was one time during the Spurs/Hornets series that Tim Ducan literally followed around CP3 for about 6 seconds trying to set a screen. He was basically griding on his ass the entire time.

The fundamentals of basketball have long been overlooked. Lets not all of a sudden start picking out illegal screens when they have been going on in every game for the last 10 years.

This just in, Kobe allegedly involved in a 3 way:

68325384478f974345rk6.jpg

[quote name='dafoomie']This just in, Kobe allegedly involved in a 3 way:

68325384478f974345rk6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Neither of the three is Kobe. Sorry to bust your fantasy bubble.

nice randomly bringing in the lakers and not even being able to identify one :lol:

btw i found out how rondo prepared for the series
1175hnb.jpg

so thats why he has no jump shot

[quote name='jlarlee']I hate how inconsistently this and blocking/charging fouls are called. Honestly I don;t see a fix the players move so fast I can see why they get missed. It is funny that basketball is called a non contact sport and nothing could be further from the truth. Especially during boxing out.[/quote]

Who has ever called basketball a non contact sport? hahahahaha. Non contact sports are tennis and golf. The NBA allows limited contact during the course of a basketball game, thus making it a contact sport, and nobody is calling it any other way.

[quote name='unforeseen']We have a winner!!!

I like this one better though:

xinsrc_179484a8fb0011d7b21c00010313.jpg
[/quote]

How are the Spurs enjoying their offseason so far?

manu_tiger-794868.jpg

GINOBLI!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!

"oNeWiNgEdAnGeL" you still seem bitter about the way your team choked in Game 7 of the 2002 WCF. Gave up a 8 point halftime lead, let the Lakers score the last 8 points of overtime, and missed 14 of 30 free throws, all of this happened on your homecourt.

But again, based on your username and the way it's tYpEd, I understand if you do not remember any of this because 6 years ago you were probably 8 years old.

[quote name='bardiya27']How are the Spurs enjoying their offseason so far?

Same thing the Lakers will be doing in a week:

FISHING!!!!

Kobe fishing in Eagle, CO.

kobefishing2.jpg

This thread has gone from in the beggining to a respectable topic, to now shit you'd see in GameFaqs.

If there was a way, I wish both teams would lose, i'm hoping David Stern calls off the NBA Finals due to the allegations made by Tim Donaghy.

But, I do find it funny that guy posted the wrong picture of Kobe. Looks like Kwame Brown but it looks to short to be him...Aaron McKie maybe?

[quote name='ph33r m3']This thread has gone from in the beggining to a respectable topic, to now shit you'd see in GameFaqs.

If there was a way, I wish both teams would lose, i'm hoping David Stern calls off the NBA Finals due to the allegations made by Tim Donaghy.

But, I do find it funny that guy posted the wrong picture of Kobe. Looks like Kwame Brown but it looks to short to be him...Aaron McKie maybe?[/quote]

It's Horace Grant, he joined the team for one year when Malone and Payton came. Hard to recognize him without the goggles.

well u kno the lakers are back when everyone starts to hate again ;)

also sorry cant resist but the guy who healed pierce was this guy
samcassellhumpao6.jpg

on a sidenote now to stop opening ignored posts

[quote name='Nelo Ice']well u kno the lakers are back when everyone starts to hate again ;)

also sorry cant resist but the guy who healed pierce was this guy
samcassellhumpao6.jpg

on a sidenote now to stop opening ignored posts[/quote]

No, people are hating against your team and every Laker fan that's posted in this topic so far, is because your acting like fuckin' idiots.

[quote name='ph33r m3']But, I do find it funny that guy posted the wrong picture of Kobe. Looks like Kwame Brown but it looks to short to be him...Aaron McKie maybe?[/QUOTE]
The caption claimed it was Kobe, but I wasn't paying attention. I try not to look too close at men kissing men. This is all tongue in cheek by the way.

This is clearly Kobe:
kobegayir7.jpg

[quote name='ph33r m3']No, people are hating against your team and every Celtics fan that's posted in this topic so far, is because your acting like fuckin' idiots.[/quote]

Fixed it for ya.

[quote name='bardiya27']Haha, I thought you did too because of that LWO under your username.[/quote]

yep btw u should drop in my 360 thread :D

[quote name='bardiya27']"oNeWiNgEdAnGeL" you still seem bitter about the way your team choked in Game 7 of the 2002 WCF. Gave up a 8 point halftime lead, let the Lakers score the last 8 points of overtime, and missed 14 of 30 free throws, all of this happened on your homecourt.

But again, based on your username and the way it's tYpEd, I understand if you do not remember any of this because 6 years ago you were probably 8 years old.[/QUOTE]

Do you read the newspaper or ESPN or anything about sports? In the past 2 days, the NBA is getting ripped apart based on what is the worst officiated game in the history of the NBA and possible in sports. It should have never gone to a Game 7. Kings had it and the refs took it away from them.

Why the hell so some laCker fans deny it? Are Kobe's ass cheeks blocking your view?

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Do you read the newspaper or ESPN or anything about sports? In the past 2 days, the NBA is getting ripped apart based on what is the worst officiated game in the history of the NBA and possible in sports. It should have never gone to a Game 7. Kings had it and the refs took it away from them.

Why the hell so some laCker fans deny it? Are Kobe's ass cheeks blocking your view?[/quote]

Idiot.

Do you read the newspaper or ESPN or anything about sports?
Let me explain, the NBA is not getting ripped apart based on ONE game, it is getting ripped apart on the whole series. A SERIES THAT INCLUDED 7 GAMES, NOT ONE GAME.

Listen, I know this whole basketball thing is complex for you, and like I said you were just a child when the series took place so let me break it down for you:

For the whole series, the Sacramento Kings shot 204 free throws.
The Lakers shot 188 free throws.
That's an advantage of 16 free throws for the Kings throughout the whole series.

"WHAT!?! WHAT!?! IT CAN'T BE, THE NBA FIXED IT FOR THE LAKERS TO WIN, HOW COULD THE KINGS EVER SHOT MORE FREE THROWS THAN THE LAKERS!?!"

In Game 6 that you won't stop crying about, or as you might remember it: THE FIXED GAME. The Lakers shot 40 free throws!
Goddamn! 40 free throws!
How many free throws for the Kings? 25.

"WOW A DIFFERENCE OF 15 FREE THROWS, FIXED GAME! FIXED GAME!" (and you doubt that anything shady was going on in game 2 of the current finals where the difference in free throw shooting was 28)

But guess what? That difference of 15 free throws, you can chip 8 of those free throw attempts away. Because 8 free throws came in the last 30 seconds of the game as the Kings intentionally fouled the Lakers to get the ball back.
So that really turns the difference of 15 free throws into 7.
An advantage of 7 free throw for the home team. Wow! I guess your right, the game was fixed!

Oh, and one last thing about this "fixed" Game 6, the lead referee was Dick Bevetta one of the better referees in the league, not Tim Donaghy (the locked up ex-referee who claims the whole series was rigged).

Now let's compare the stats of Game 6 which you claim was fixed with those of Game 5:

Game 5 was at Arco Arena.
The Kings shot 33 free throws, and the Lakers 23.
That's a difference of 10, and none of the Kings free throws came off intentional fouls because the game came down to the wire with Kobe missing a potential game-winning jumpshot.

So now that you know why you are an idiot, let me give you some info about the foul trouble the Lakers number one guy and number two guy had to go through during the series:

Game 3: Kobe fouls out (only 17 times in his career), Shaq ends with 5 fouls.

Game 4: Kobe had 5 fouls.

Game 5: Shaq fouls out, Kobe ends with 5.

Game 7: Mike Bibby draws Kobe's fifth foul with 6 seconds left in regulation, Bibby sinks the free throws and sends it to overtime. BAILED OUT.

So yeah, I guess your right, Game 6 and the whole series was fixed, the Kings were robbed and lost because of Stern and the refs not because of your teams incapability of executing down the stretch:

The missed free throws during crunch time throughout the whole series,
Webber's turnovers in the 4th quarter of Game 6,
Webber's bricks in the 4th quarter of Game 7,
Vlade passing Horry the ball with his tip at the end of Game 4 for the game-winning buzzer beating 3 pointer (Divac's heart was still bleeding purple and gold, can't blame him for that one),
And the most astonishing one, the 3 point champion himself: Peja Stojakovic, missing a wide open 3 pointer that would have put the Kings up by 2 with 11 seconds left in the regulation of Game 7, Peja's missed 3 pointer was an AIRBALL.

Idiot.

What the hell happened to this thread?

Can we chill out with the stupid pics and constant trolling and go back to real basketball talk. I am not a laker or boston fan and I also wish they both could somehow lose and give the championship the the Hornets.

Man I guess its a bad idea to have this many days in between games

[quote name='bardiya27']blah blah blah[/QUOTE]

lmao you're seriously talking about how many FTs a team shot more than the other team? It's never going to be the same you fucking idiot. One team is more aggressive than the other. What is being questioned here is one officiated game, mainly the 4th quarter where laCkers shot 27 FTs in the 4th quarter in a closely contested game. Not to mention both Vlade and Pollard getting fouled out on BS calls and with Bibby getting a foul for doing this:

2chuq9e.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sacto12-2008jun12,0,6183177.story
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=21&objectid=10515734

Read. I'm sure you're reading comprehension shouldn't be too bad to understand that it's no secret Kings got jobbed.

bread's done
Back