*THE OFFICIAL 2008 ELECTION RESULTS * -President Obama picking Cabinet now

[quote name='thrustbucket']They are similar enough. Both parties are similar enough.

What is ludicrous is anyone that really wants real "change" that continues to vote for the same two parties that have been in control since before any of us were born. Now that is ludicrous. Because that is not change.[/QUOTE]

So you readily admit that there would be no change after this election.

Which means if your boy had gotten in, there'd still be no change.

Except what would change is that you'd still be gloating around with a smug sense of condescenion, safe and secured with your defeat of the liberal uppity black man.

Man, all the conservatives must be fat from having their cake and eating it too, and then spitting on everyone else's cake. That analogy makes more sense when you consider how much iron is in the cake, which is a lot. So much so that we could call it Irony Cake.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to all the conservatives on CAG who thought that Obama could/would never get elected.

Go fuck yourselves you wrong bitches! HA!

Nice touch on the Irony cake too strell, Thrust is just a sore loser.

GO OBAMA!

Wow, the pizza is back

Hate to burst your boner pizza, but I don't think there was a conservative on CAG that didn't think Obama would/could get elected. If anything, it was mostly Obama supporters afraid racism would prevail.

[quote name='thrustbucket']They are similar enough. Both parties are similar enough.

What is ludicrous is anyone that really wants real "change" that continues to vote for the same two parties that have been in control since before any of us were born. Now that is ludicrous. Because that is not change.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for defining "change" for us in a way that serves your needs. People think "change" is about rebuilding the entire nation, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused...waitaminute...

In any case, change is relative to Bush's policies for most people. It's hard to see amid all the insanity over Obama, but that's what it is and that's an attainable and commendable goal.

[quote name='Strell']
Except what would change is that you'd still be gloating around with a smug sense of condescenion, safe and secured with your defeat of the liberal uppity black man.

Man, all the conservatives must be fat from having their cake and eating it too, and then spitting on everyone else's cake. That analogy makes more sense when you consider how much iron is in the cake, which is a lot. So much so that we could call it Irony Cake.[/QUOTE]

I hear a lot of spitting going on, and it's not coming from the conservatives. There's a lot of smugness and condescending attitudes as well. Unsurprisingly, they aren't coming from the conservatives either. We come from moral families that taught us how NOT to be sore losers OR sore winners.

[quote name='bmulligan']I hear a lot of spitting going on, and it's not coming from the conservatives. There's a lot of smugness and condescending attitudes as well. Unsurprisingly, they aren't coming from the conservatives either. We come from moral families that taught us how NOT to be sore losers OR sore winners.[/QUOTE]

This is like how a lawyer says to someone that they love lawyer jokes, and then that person tells the lawyer "That's because you don't get them."

Thrust I'm going way back, to around this time last year, and alot were thinking that he wouldnt or coudlnt get elected.

I'll admit, I was afraid of the role racism had to play in this election, but I have a renewed faith in my country b/c people were able to rise above. Truly, what greater accomplishment could a minority acheive in this country?

Spitting not coming from conservatives eh BMull? Better tell that to the people booing and hissing at the mention of Obama's name in McCain's (quite classy, graceful and honorable) defeat speech.

[quote name='bmulligan']I hear a lot of spitting going on, and it's not coming from the conservatives. There's a lot of smugness and condescending attitudes as well. Unsurprisingly, they aren't coming from the conservatives either. We come from moral families that taught us how NOT to be sore losers OR sore winners.[/quote]

Seriously, Conservatives are going to take the moral high? Seriously?

Sorry, I had to say it since the forum is full of left-ers and would eventually be said anyway. As Americans, none of us can REALLY take moral high ground anyway... since we, as a nation, fail in this regard.

What do you think of the post I made here last night ranting about how the Libertarians are too lazy and misguided? They have little to no representation at lower levels, which kills their legitimacy when running someone for president. They have no foundation to stand on.

It's like me and my friends thinking we deserve to be in a BCS game, because one of us owns a football.

They need to establish a legacy, or else they'll continue to trot out jobber after jobber every 4 years.

What did your Ron Paul vote get you other than some symbolic satisfaction that you made an attempt at change that had as much impact as staring at your car really long and hard to fix a flat tire?

If you want to bitch about the two party system, work locally and help install a third party. Help get that legacy moving. You're a somewhat savvy guy; you can't possibly be foolish enough to think that the public at large will EVER get fed up enough with both major parties that they'll throw up their hands and vote for one of the "other guys." A true third party is possible, provided it's a party that isn't so self-centered that it feels it only deserves a shot at the top every four years and has no other work to do.

So get off your ass and contribute to building that legacy. Seriously. A third party is possible, but this top-down philosophy is beyond absurd.

Where the hell can I find data on third-party popular votes? No fucking media source seems to have 'em.

[quote name='Strell']
Which means if your boy had gotten in, there'd still be no change.
[/quote]Don't think Thrust really has a boy.

Well, except for the one that he keeps locked underneath his garage, but we don't speak of him.

[quote name='ninja dog']He's talking about cooks who make food for the restaurant but are not owned by the restaurant.[/quote]

Naw, I'm seriously a green party cook. I cook for the green party functions.

I meant kook XD.

Regardless of me being a third party cook/kook, I am excited for the change Obama will bring. Not quite the change I have in mind, but definitely moving in a very positive direction.

[quote name='ninja dog']Thanks for defining "change" for us in a way that serves your needs. People think "change" is about rebuilding the entire nation, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused...waitaminute...

In any case, change is relative to Bush's policies for most people. It's hard to see amid all the insanity over Obama, but that's what it is and that's an attainable and commendable goal.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If you're a solid democrat you just wanted no more of Bush type policies.

I want to see the US work to regain it's international respect, stop pre-emptive military strikes, torture etc. Do more to help the middle class and not give tax breaks to the wealthy, invest more funding for science etc. etc.

I'm fine going back to Clinton era policies, with extra tweaks for health care, alternative energy etc. We don't need massive change IMO.

[quote name='mykevermin']What do you think of the post I made here last night ranting about how the Libertarians are too lazy and misguided? They have little to no representation at lower levels, which kills their legitimacy when running someone for president. They have no foundation to stand on.

It's like me and my friends thinking we deserve to be in a BCS game, because one of us owns a football.

They need to establish a legacy, or else they'll continue to trot out jobber after jobber every 4 years.

What did your Ron Paul vote get you other than some symbolic satisfaction that you made an attempt at change that had as much impact as staring at your car really long and hard to fix a flat tire?

If you want to bitch about the two party system, work locally and help install a third party. Help get that legacy moving. You're a somewhat savvy guy; you can't possibly be foolish enough to think that the public at large will EVER get fed up enough with both major parties that they'll throw up their hands and vote for one of the "other guys." A true third party is possible, provided it's a party that isn't so self-centered that it feels it only deserves a shot at the top every four years and has no other work to do.

So get off your ass and contribute to building that legacy. Seriously. A third party is possible, but this top-down philosophy is beyond absurd.

Where the hell can I find data on third-party popular votes? No fucking media source seems to have 'em.[/quote]

Thanks for this post. How would one get involved in this? I'm a youngin' compared to the rest of you guys so I don't know where to start.

Contact the Libertarian Party? Figure out their platform from head to fucking toe, and if it's something you identify with, run for office at the local level (unless you're too young). Have meetings; monthly? biweekly? I dunno. Get folks together to talk about local issues, the libertarian platform on the whole.

Politics is influencing the way our government regards our society. Politics is a verb, man (well, a noun, I know, but bear with me). Politics is something you do. So if you want to do it, do it.

The modern Libertarian party is Michael Jordan joining MLB, or Brock Lesnar trying out for the NFL. They don't want to go through all the nasty steps necessary to earn their cred. The only way parties will happen that way is if they sop up the carcass of a dead party. We could see a massive schism of the Republican party, where the fiscal conservatives (the closet libertarians) split off from the White Power and Jebus wing of the Republican party. But I wouldn't put any money on that really happening (and that's not only because I'm not a betting man).

15s57c4.jpg

I kinda wanna give him a hug.

[quote name='Purple Flames']
15s57c4.jpg

I kinda wanna give him a hug.[/quote]

yeah thats a sad pic, atleast he's still a physician and senator

[quote name='The Crotch']Don't think Thrust really has a boy.

Well, except for the one that he keeps locked underneath his garage, but we don't speak of him.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']Contact the Libertarian Party? Figure out their platform from head to fucking toe, and if it's something you identify with, run for office at the local level (unless you're too young). Have meetings; monthly? biweekly? I dunno. Get folks together to talk about local issues, the libertarian platform on the whole.

Politics is influencing the way our government regards our society. Politics is a verb, man (well, a noun, I know, but bear with me). Politics is something you do. So if you want to do it, do it.

The modern Libertarian party is Michael Jordan joining MLB, or Brock Lesnar trying out for the NFL. They don't want to go through all the nasty steps necessary to earn their cred. The only way parties will happen that way is if they sop up the carcass of a dead party. We could see a massive schism of the Republican party, where the fiscal conservatives (the closet libertarians) split off from the White Power and Jebus wing of the Republican party. But I wouldn't put any money on that really happening (and that's not only because I'm not a betting man).[/quote]

Hmm thanks for the tips. I don't think I'd be fit for public office or anything like that but getting people together and discussing things sounds like a good idea. I've looked into the Libertarian Party and I really like what they are saying, but I'm not sure in reality if *all* of what there saying could be enacted. It seems like a "perfect world" scenario sort of deal. Are there any other parties out there that you could direct me too? I know there is the Green Party, Constitution Party, etc. I don't identify with the Democrat or Republican Party in the slightest bit, so I'm looking for something I can get involved in. I'm about to turn 19 and I'm already sick of the two party system. I probably won't even "join" a party, but maybe just identify with what their saying. I don't want to get involved in the whole party loyalty thing.

Heh, too bad they can't get things going like Brock when he first came on the scene. I guess they have to go the Brock UFC route, lol.

[quote name='mykevermin']Prohibition Party?

;)[/quote]

The way the world is going I'm gonna need as much booze as possible, so no thanks! :D

[quote name='mykevermin']What do you think of the post I made here last night ranting about how the Libertarians are too lazy and misguided? They have little to no representation at lower levels, which kills their legitimacy when running someone for president. They have no foundation to stand on.

Where the hell can I find data on third-party popular votes? No fucking media source seems to have 'em.[/QUOTE]

Well you are absolutely right, myke. Most of what you just said has been weighing on my mind quite a bit the past weeks.

But first, I'm not a registered libertarian. I have a lot of libertarian views, obviously. A lot of registered libertarians I have met are kind of fringe and scary. It scares me to join a party, for some reason. I guess I don't want to end up like someone like Sean Hannity, where if the party is for it, so am I. Cart before the horse, ya know?

But I don't really know what to say, other than you are right. Driving around today, all I thought about was making bumper stickers that said stuff like "Want change? Vote third party" or "A vote for Democrat or Republican is a vote for more of the same".... etc etc....

I dunno what to do. I have one foot in the apathetic "who gives a shit this country is doomed" and another foot in the "What can I possibly do to get people out of the two party mindset". And I know my posts reflect that dichomety.

I'm a lost soul. I'm working on it.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I dunno what to do. I have one foot in the apathetic "who gives a shit this country is doomed"[/quote]

As much as I disagree with you on issues, you gotta stop that attitude 100% if you want anything to change. I get sick of the people who refuse to vote at all because thuh whole wurld sux, mayun. Not voting isn't going to get anything done unless absolutely nobody votes.

Which would actually prove to be an interesting theoretical topic to explore. Polls open but not one single person casts a ballot.

Anyway. I could sit on my ass and bitch like a lot of queers are after prop 8 passed, but I'm not. My dismay and anger are being fueled towards fixing the issue, rather than just going wahh, dey be steelin mah rites.

:)

Just saying. You can't be at all apathetic if you want things to change. I've been telling my friends, the hard work we put into the world now will be reaped in future generations. We might not see what we want happen now, but if you put the effort into it, then you'll know you at least contributed.

[quote name='Strell']I hope everyone just watched tonight's South Park. Best one in a good while.[/QUOTE]

fuck. They actually had a good episode? Guess I'll catch it tomorrow.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Well you are absolutely right, myke. Most of what you just said has been weighing on my mind quite a bit the past weeks.

But first, I'm not a registered libertarian. I have a lot of libertarian views, obviously. A lot of registered libertarians I have met are kind of fringe and scary. It scares me to join a party, for some reason. I guess I don't want to end up like someone like Sean Hannity, where if the party is for it, so am I. Cart before the horse, ya know?

But I don't really know what to say, other than you are right. Driving around today, all I thought about was making bumper stickers that said stuff like "Want change? Vote third party" or "A vote for Democrat or Republican is a vote for more of the same".... etc etc....

I dunno what to do. I have one foot in the apathetic "who gives a shit this country is doomed" and another foot in the "What can I possibly do to get people out of the two party mindset". And I know my posts reflect that dichomety.

I'm a lost soul. I'm working on it.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. Identifying with a party doesn't mean supporting everything it does. Being Libertarian, additionally, you have the added advantage that most of their policy is a shade undercooked. What's their take on foreign policy? Domestic security? Terrorism?

The benefit of working grassroots for a party is that you'll be able to help shape and adapt the group's ideals at an individual level. Which is what parties are at the base. It's much easier with a group like this than the established ones, even.

The part where you're locked in, though, is that, if the ultimate goal is to get a non-D/R in the presidency, you must work within the party. We're a brand-oriented country, and you have to have an established foundation and legacy to become credible, not the other way around. The party serves the function of linking those who are involved but separate (folks in Maine as opposed to, say, Oregon) - but also helps create those links for those who aren't interested or paying attention. Fostering familiarity.

But identifying with a party adds a necessary, if unfortunate, element of legitimacy. Grassroots by yourself with no party id? You'll lack that cred. You're just "another guy who's fed up with it all."

It's a necessary evil, but one that's malleable due to its lack of integration into the political establishment, and has to work in the opposite direction it has been trying in order to make a real difference.

(But I won't spoil this by telling you that many parliamentary systems can politcally resemble two-party systems, as alliances are formed in a quid-pro-quo manner in order to get things accomplished. ;))

South Park was pretty funny tonight. Better than it has been, and that's not saying much. The "chaos" element was really funny, but the Ocean's Eleventeen was only kinda funny.

I think a viable 3rd party might be coming soon. The current crisis is one where if you get a deal done and that turns up pure BS for the country, if they find out both parties were involved heavily, someone's going to come out of it on another ticket and they'll look pretty good.

The japanese are fucking insane.

Some of those people waving their arms have this look like "why am I waving my arms like this? Who the fuck are you people?!"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_cevV4ZnI[/media]

[quote name='Hex']The japanese are fucking insane.

Some of those people waving their arms have this look like "why am I waving my arms like this? Who the fuck are you people?!"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_cevV4ZnI[/media][/quote]

hot

[quote name='thrustbucket']
[/QUOTE]

There is no possible way for the libertarians to ever be a viable third party. The problem is that children are not taught self-reliance, about individual liberty, about limited government as a necessary evil.

People who hold these ideals are vastly outnumbered by those who have their hands in the public trough, controlled by that majority.. When the government centrally controls most aspects of society, specifically education, the ideals of freedom can be easily, and completely extinguished for the common good. Welcome to the Village. Be seeing you. ;)

[quote name='The Crotch']Shit, narrow-thread disease. Mulligan, can you delete your post please?[/quote]

I think it's billyrox's post actually. You can't quote youtube vids for some reason.

[quote name='Hex']The japanese are fucking insane.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_cevV4ZnI[/media][/quote]

WILL IT CHANGE?!

[quote name='Strell']This might be one of the most hilarious TheOnion articles of all time.[/quote]

great article.

So Obama has chosen Emaunel as Chief of Staff, I wonder who else he will choose.

Current Cabinet Positions:

Vice President: Joe Biden

Chief of Staff: Rahm Emanuel

Press Secretary: Robert Gibbs

Secretary of Treasury:

Secretary of State: ?

Secretary of Defense: ?

Secretary of Education: ?

Pretty cool pick on Robert Gibbs. He can hold his own, anyone watch him taking on Sean Hannity? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJE-pO9FapY

around 3:20.. that was hilarious

http://www.mlive.com/us-politics/index.ssf/2008/11/little_shock_in_gibbs_pick.html

I think he should create a position for Ron Paul. Now before you guys laugh at me and say I am just another crazy RP supporter think about it. Think about how long the guy has been in the senate, think about all the experience he has. Think about the fact that he is a moderate who could bridge the gap to not just the Republican party but also libretarians(who are a small but growing force). I dont think RP fits any of the positions left....if anything his stance is horrid on them, clashing horribly with Obama. But I think RP is a very smart man and creating a position for him(maybe a position designated to stopping excesse spending and elimanating goverment waste)is a smart move.

Not sure how I feel about Emanual. The guy is smart and capable.....but extreamly partisan.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I think he should create a position for Ron Paul. Now before you guys laugh at me and say I am just another crazy RP supporter think about it. Think about how long the guy has been in the senate, think about all the experience he has. Think about the fact that he is a moderate who could bridge the gap to not just the Republican party but also libretarians(who are a small but growing force). I dont think RP fits any of the positions left....if anything his stance is horrid on them, clashing horribly with Obama. But I think RP is a very smart man and creating a position for him(maybe a position designated to stopping excesse spending and elimanating goverment waste)is a smart move.

Not sure how I feel about Emanual. The guy is smart and capable.....but extreamly partisan.[/quote]
From what i understand he gets shit done but he can be an extreme hard-ass.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I think he should create a position for Ron Paul. Now before you guys laugh at me and say I am just another crazy RP supporter think about it. Think about how long the guy has been in the senate, think about all the experience he has. Think about the fact that he is a moderate who could bridge the gap to not just the Republican party but also libretarians(who are a small but growing force). I dont think RP fits any of the positions left....if anything his stance is horrid on them, clashing horribly with Obama. But I think RP is a very smart man and creating a position for him(maybe a position designated to stopping excesse spending and elimanating goverment waste)is a smart move.

Not sure how I feel about Emanual. The guy is smart and capable.....but extreamly partisan.[/quote]

I heard that Emanual's brother is who Ari Gold from Entourage is based on. And some guy from West Wing is based off Rahm Emaunual

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']From what i understand he gets shit done but he can be an extreme hard-ass.[/QUOTE]

Ya newsweek did an article on him last year. They said after Clinton won the election they were all sitting around a fire at a picnic table celebrating and talking about the things they would accomplishm. Emanuel apparently all of a said screamed the name of some Republican and stabbed the table with a knife and said dead. He then pulled the knife out of the table and proceded to time and time again say a Rep name and stab the table saying dead over and over. The guy also is missing half of his middle finger and apparently is known to flick off Republicans with his stub.

The guy like I said seems smart, capable and 1 reporter suggested he has mellowed in recent years......but he still has a history.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The guy also is missing half of his middle finger and apparently is known to flick off Republicans with his stub.
[/quote]

Epic. If I had to pick a chief of staff, I'd make sure he was known for something awesome like this.

Collin Powell - Secretary of Defense. Would be a great choice IMO.

Jokingly,
Oprah - Secretary of Treasury... maybe she can put some of that money she made exploiting housewives to good use... rather than renting tropical islands.

Anyone read what the specific hold up is in calling North Carolina and Missouri. Both have been 100% in since Wednesday with Obama taking NC and McCain MO by small margins. Do the states have mandatory re-counts or something?

Not that it matters, just curious as they haven't been called but I haven't seen any articles on the reason why.

bread's done
Back