The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JFJ Easy Pro. That little machine has saved so many games, CDs, and movies for me. It's less than $150 and will work for many scratched discs (though gamecube and wii seem to have the most trouble reading a buffed disc).
Thanks, I will look into that! I live in fear that my mother will fall behind in her storage locker payments because all my toys from the 80's/90's are in there. I live 2000 miles away from her so retrieving them atm is not an option.

[quote name="notaspaceship" post="12694556" timestamp="1431834231"]Thanks, I will look into that! I live in fear that my mother will fall behind in her storage locker payments because all my toys from the 80's/90's are in there. I live 2000 miles away from her so retrieving them atm is not an option.[/quote]

Should you just start paying for her storage unit then?

Got:

PS3

NCAA Football 14

UFC Undisputed 3

GTA V

Black Ops 2

All for $16.

Not a bad first trip out this year. Rest of the sales yesterday were a waste though.

Had 3 Community Sales around me this weekend. Here is the loot!

10nt8iv.jpg

From various sales. Total paid for all pictured = $58.75

Also found Last of Us Remastered and Watch Dogs for $10 each

Really fun weekend~!

here is a close up of the games

98d43m.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Finds 9-6-14

Time to jump into the time machine.

Found Super Mario World, Contra III, Wing Commander IV and The Air War in Europe in the middle of the day in a vendors dump bin for $0.25 each. They were mixed in with rusty old tools and other stuff you would expect to see in the garbage. Breath of Fire and Dino Crisis were $1 each from the same place. Yes, that is Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell in Wing Commander.
D/
Hamill & McDowell actually both started with Wing Commander 3, the first of the last 3 mainline WC games to go FMV. Hamill played your character, Christopher "Maverick" Blair while McDowell played Admiral Tolwyn.

Not a great weekend for me, but I still found some decent stuff. Unfortunately I don't have pics, as I had to send a lot of the stuff off to the MAGFest warehouse already so my wife wouldn't kill me. ;)

First sale was only posted the night before and mentioned NES and Genesis stuff. I got there 30 minutes early and there was already someone there, but he seemed to be interested in purely NES stuff. The seller was still setting up, so we ended up standing around for a while. After all was said and done the seller couldn't find the NES stuff, but I did get the following items:

-a Model 1 Genesis

-a Model 3 Genesis

-a Model 2 Genesis AC adapter

-5 Genesis controllers

-a Telegames pinball/breakaway console

-an original Gameboy with Tetris

-a stack of Nintendo Super Power Club trading cards

-a bag of Earthworm Jim toys

-an antique turtle toy (for my brother)

-a Space Jam DVD and a big Space Jam ceramic statue (for a friend)

Unfortunately I choked when he asked me to make him an offer and said $70, which he accepted. I really need to start going back to just offering $20 for boxes.

Hit a few sales after that but kept being told that someone had already come by asking for games. I did pick up an old 3d camera for $8, which I bought solely for the instructional video that stars VIncent Prince (they wouldn't separate the video). Fortunately I've already found a friend to buy the camera for $7. I also found a couple of GBA SP 101s at a sale for $13 total.

Final find for Saturday was in the city, where I scored Okami, Vampire Night, Genji, and Alien Hominid for $1 apiece at a local flea market.

I also went out Sunday and found a few things then, as well. I picked up Army of Darkness and Black Dynamite on DVD for $1 apiece, and then a complete PS2 for $10.

First real yard sale scores of the season:

t

Most of this came from one location - landed the Pokemon Gamecube w/two controllers, all hookups  and six games (Pokemon Colosseum, Luigi's Mansion, Kirby Air Ride, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Mega Collection, and Super Monkey Ball 2) for $50, and the rest of the items came to $13.00. Brain Age 2 is sealed, but it's not really worth anything. Not shown - Monsters Inc Scream Arena. 

Fun fact I learned earlier this year: NFL Street Vol. 2 is actually a little uncommon and is worth about $20.
I picked it up because I thought the artwork was great. The resale value was a pleasant surprise, considering I paid a little under two dollars for it. It'll probably remain in the collection at this point - I don't think I own a second copy.

Picked up an NES with 2 controllers and 3 games (Goonies II, Dreammaster, and City Connection) for $5 today literally across the street from my house. I was pretty pumped.

Also picked up Yu-Gi-Oh: Duelist of the Roses for 25 cents. Technically it was free though because the guy in front of me paid for it for me. I love nice people.

Fun fact I learned earlier this year: NFL Street Vol. 2 is actually a little uncommon and is worth about $20.
This is why I always double check the values on sports games and/or have a mental list of some of the less common ones. You can make a nice tidy profit from finds at yard sales/thrift stores since most people instinctively pass them up.

I think I got a good deal today. Picked up a blue gamecube with a complete gba player with start up disc along with animal crossing for $10 at a local garage sale. Did I pay too much or you guys think I got a good deal? Sorry to ask, but I really have no idea.

[quote name="appleseed127" post="12703568" timestamp="1432352320"]I think I got a good deal today. Picked up a blue gamecube with a complete gba player with start up disc along with animal crossing for $10 at a local garage sale. Did I pay too much or you guys think I got a good deal? Sorry to ask, but I really have no idea.[/quote]
You did pretty good. The gameboy player with the startup disc was worth $50+ last time I checked.

Finally a big day tomorrow, hoping to hit 20 single sales listed as well as a pretty big sounding community sale. Hopefully some good stuff pops up.

I did okay yesterday, not as good as last week but what can you do.

Got a slim PS2 with Metal Arms and TNA Impact for $5.00

Grabbed a stack of PS2/PSP games (Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Incredibles Rise of the Underminer, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Dynasty Warriors V, Lego Star Wars II, Prince of Persia and Spyro a Hero's Tail) for $5.00

Got Buffy seasons 2-7 with 6 and 7 still sealed for $6.00.

Weak day sale number wise around here.

#1 - got close and realized it was this lousy flea market sale that happens a few times a year so kept driving

#2 - got two Ren & Stimpy trade paperbacks for 50 cents

#3 - N64 w/ no controller and Dreamcast for $10

#4 - nothing

#5 - nothing

And that is all I could find in the usual area. I'm guessing because of the holiday most people didn't bother having one today.

[attachment=14453:image.jpg]

Was an awesome day to be the day when everyone and their Mom goes yard sailing. I missed the GameCube generation so I had some goals this year of finding some classic GameCube games..today delivered.

Got the Zelda Collectors Edition, RE 4 and Tekken 4 for $1 each. Day complete right here..very happy.

Next found the N64 and WCW/NWO for $6. She said they had a ton of n64 games but couldn't find them. Left my number and tried to be friendly, so here's hoping. Then found Pilotwings64 by itself for $1 on a random table.

Finally almost near the end of the day I saw some Ps2 games and asked if they had anything else. He mentioned he had a ton of GameCube stuff that he didn't bring out. So I wait for him to grab it and almost crapped my pants when he walked out with a stack of 20 games. 10 were PS2 war games and 10 GameCube games. I passed on Britney Spears' dance beat..but got Double Dash, Sunshine, Animal Crossing and Warioware for $5 each. Everything complete excep Warioware with no manual.

Great day!!

Yesterday, picked up a NES lot for $10

-console (works)

-3 controllers

-2 guns

-4 games (Golf, 2 Duck Hunts, Super Mario Bros)

Today found a GBA lot for $15

-GBA 001

-GBA carrying case and game carrying case.

-6 games (Advance Wars 2 was the best out of the bunch)

The sale I picked up the GBA at also had some nice GC games, but they had looked them up on interwebs and were priced accordingly.  Really wanted the black label Pikmin they had for $35.

Saw an NES with 2 controllers, Zapper, cables, and Id say 14 games. They had it marked $80. I only had $30 on me, was gonna offer it to the older lady I thought was running the sale, then a 30 something year old guy walked outside. I was like "yeah thats probably his stuff, which is why its marked $80.....". I guess I shouldve tried but I passed. 

[attachment=14454:image.jpg]

This was it from last week after 5 hours of yard sailing. Was a really tough day and I kept hearing "oh I just sold everything to the raging dick neckbeard 10 minutes ago". Someone was ahead of me the entire day and was buying all their lots of games.

Anyway shot the breeze with a guy around 12 when I was ready to quit and asked if he had any games and he brought his entire 360 collection down. Had a newborn and he was thinking he'd never get to play them again. He gave these to me for $2 each..so pretty great ending to a tough day. I still have AC3 in the shrink wrap so I need to catch up!

Bummer of a weekend for me at the yard sales. I went out for 3 hrs Friday morning and hit a couple this morning here is what I came up with

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3 individually cased (Blu Ray) - $3 for all (almost bit on the 4 pack at target a couple weeks back glad I waited!)

Various toys for my daughter including a Doc Mcstuffins doll that talks and was in brand new condition

Talked to this lady running a sale I went to on Friday morning around 8 and she told me she sold two N64's with games to a girl Thursday morning and one of them was still in the box NEW for $40.... I about threw up. Friday sucked. She took my number and told me she'd ask her son if he had any games he wanted to sell but I'm not expecting a phone call.

Hope everyone had better luck than me!

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Was an awesome day to be the day when everyone and their Mom goes yard sailing. I missed the GameCube generation so I had some goals this year of finding some classic GameCube games..today delivered.

Got the Zelda Collectors Edition, RE 4 and Tekken 4 for $1 each. Day complete right here..very happy.

Next found the N64 and WCW/NWO for $6. She said they had a ton of n64 games but couldn't find them. Left my number and tried to be friendly, so here's hoping. Then found Pilotwings64 by itself for $1 on a random table.

Finally almost near the end of the day I saw some Ps2 games and asked if they had anything else. He mentioned he had a ton of GameCube stuff that he didn't bring out. So I wait for him to grab it and almost crapped my pants when he walked out with a stack of 20 games. 10 were PS2 war games and 10 GameCube games. I passed on Britney Spears' dance beat..but got Double Dash, Sunshine, Animal Crossing and Warioware for $5 each. Everything complete excep Warioware with no manual.

Great day!!
Dude, so jealous. Great finds! :D/

No yard sales again for me. But, I did drop off a trailer load of stuff at the auction house. Next weekend my friend and his wife are coming in from Ohio. She loves yard sales, so I'll probably take her to a few Saturday morning while my buddy sleeps in and/or plays video games at my house.

Only thing I picked up gaming-wise today was a collector's edition of Crash Team Racing for PS1 in an incredibly beat-up case. $1.

Other cool find of the day was a brand new Batman & Robin Monopoly for $5, they wouldn't come down on the price. Apart from that, got some books and household stuff, nothing very exciting.

Only found video games at two yard sales today.  The first I saw had 2 DS games (Pac Man and Lego Indiana Jones) for $5 each, but I passed on those.  At the next I found a wii system with hookups, remote, and 6 games for $20. The best game in the lot was Wii Sports Resort.  It also came with 4 empty cases one of which was Mario Kart.  I was hoping it would be in the system when I got home...but No.  Not as good as last week but I'll take it considering I do not have a wii!

Missed a good yard sale today. They had advertised Video Games on Craigslist. I was a few mins late and I saw the guy I had seen at a few other sales with a big box of stuff walking out to his car. 

I asked about video game stuff and they confirmed that he had purchased everything....oh well. He uses a scanner too, I remember he was scanning a small collection of original Xbox games about a month ago. They were mostly common stuff.

Checking prices is fine, but having decent knowledge about the value of games is better

Well, to top off today's crappy day of being beat to yard sales I just found out that the collection of Sailor Moon DVDs I picked up for a friend are actually very convincing Chinese bootlegs. That's $25 I'll never see again.

Only found Tetris Evolution for 5$ on 360, and 3 DS games for 1$, COD Modern Warfare, Sims 2 and Flushed Away.

Did get Blokus and Blokus Duo Board games complete though, very fun and actually pretty valuable board games.

very first yardsale i went to at the official start of the season.  I doubt i will ever find another better deal then this.

http://i.imgur.com/JqZ8Odf.png

JqZ8Odf.png

got the best haul i will probably ever get today.

got a 3ds XL price: $15  Yes, that is not a typo, FIFTEEN DOLLARS!  i would have easily payed $100 for it.  it is pink, not that i care, and it also came with the manual and the charger.  i had already been planning on getting a new 3ds xl but im beyond happy getting this one.
all other games were $5.  All together, it was $50.  best $50 i have ever spent and will probably ever spend.

3ds
Yoshi's new island (liked the snes/gba one so im curious)
Animal Crossing (probably sell this or give it to my 7 year old nephiew
pokemon x (wasn't hung up about which version i wanted.)

ds
pokemon platinum (originally had a friends copy but now i can own it for myself)
Pokemon Silver (only cartridge.  played gold and crystal as a kid.  VERY happy with this find, gen 2 is my favorite gen so getting a chance to re-live some of that is nice)
kirby mass attack

gba
Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga (been wanting to play this for a while and....couldn't get any roms/emulation of it to work.  i would much rather have the original cartridge anyway.  hopefully it saves fine.  EDIT:  it saves fine.  all of them work perfectly fine)

Despite not appearing as such, Animal Crossing is actually a lot of fun. If you've never played an AC game you should give it a shot. It looks like a game for babies but like half of my office was addicted to it at release and we're all grown men.

Good lord. $15 for a 3DS XL is bloody FANTASTIC. I wish I could afford one for my mother, as she's currently getting by with the old aqua model 3DS. I didn't realize until after I upgraded just how small the screen is on the older models.

Big time disappointment today.  Stopped at an unadvertised sale and spotted some average PS1 games for $1 each.  Pick out a few and head into the garage to look at movie posters (he used to be a manager at a theater).  I spot a few SNES and NES games sitting on a shelf and ask about them.  He tells me they aren't for sale, he's keeping them.  He then said he had a SNES and a Genesis that the first guy in that morning bought along with most of his other stuff, spending about $600 (I'm assuming games and he mentioned vinyl movie posters and other stuff).  I arrived at about 9 am, wish I had gotten there earlier.  Quite sure I'll see most of the stuff on the local ebay page in a day or two.

Despite not appearing as such, Animal Crossing is actually a lot of fun. If you've never played an AC game you should give it a shot. It looks like a game for babies but like half of my office was addicted to it at release and we're all grown men.
i've seen Chuggaconroy's youtube vids on animal crossing and from those, i can get the appeal of the game and if it came down to it, i probably would like it, just im also the kind of person that can't really play a game without an end or a point where it becomes obvious ive done everything the game has to offer. animal crossing feels like the kind of game that i can never truly beat so i lack some desire to play it. ill give it a shot inbetween of games though when i feel theres just too much going on.

Had a pretty good day considering the late start we got. Had my hubby and 1 yo with me so by the time we got to the neighborhood sale it was after 10:30. I know the fact that the neighborhood sale was not advertised on CL played in my favor. Especially for all the games I found so late in the day. Usually they are pretty picked over unless they are overpriced.

[attachment=14462:IMG_4914.JPG]

Found these wii games at a couple different sales in the neighborhood $1 each

[attachment=14463:IMG_4915.JPG]

One sale had a whole bin of TV series blu ray and DVD for $1-2 each. Pretty much bought all of them

[attachment=14464:IMG_4916.JPG]

Picked up these wii & 3ds games $12 for all. They were awesome kids that I had fun talking about games with. One kid was really into project spark.

[attachment=14465:IMG_4913.JPG]

Pokemon bags were $2 each except the small draw string one was .50 the 2 other bags were .50 each

[attachment=14466:IMG_4917.JPG]

Got a box of Pokemon Phantom Force Cards for $8 and the R2D2 computer was $1

Also picked up a bunch of books for work and a few things for the kiddo, hubby didn't find anything this time.

It was a nice day and a great neighborhood to just walk around and hit the sales. This one will def go on my list to remember for next year

I love looking at this thread and I miss posting my finds. Hopefully now that the baby is a bit older I will have more time to post.

This weekend is kind of a blur. Memorial Day weekend is pretty big sale-wise around here, but oddly I didn't go to that many.

Thursday: Bought a few Gameboy Advance games from a guy that buys out storage units. Just bought the Nintendo staples. He had Super Mario Advance, Donkey Kong Country etc. Also got a white slim PS2 (was filthy but it cleaned up fine).

Friday I bought a couple of PS3 controllers and a charging dock for them, but unfortunately they don't seem to work. I have to fiddle around with them to see if it's the charger, the controllers or both. Also found a "Twilight Princess" case/artwork/manual but no disc and the person let me have it for free.

Saturday I found a "Twilight Princess" with no manual, and look, on Friday I got one for free. How about that for weird. Also got Wind Waker on Gamecube. They were only $4 each and I was shocked they were still there at 10 am because the person had a picture of them on Craig's List.

Oh! I also bought a filthy filthy SNES system that I didn't even want but the person wanted to sell their stuff as a bundle so I bought it, the games and some PS2/PS1 rpgs for $40. Nothing super rare or amazing but definitely worth the money. I'm hoping that a magic eraser or even good old soap and water will work but...it looks kind of moldy. I don't know. At least the controllers look ok and I wanted some SNES controllers for my Retron so that made me happy.

I got a unit earlier this week for $150. It's been awesome so far, but I can't help but be disappointed. In it I found a Wii, a Halo 3 edition 360 (works great, but I don't have the green controller!), Game Boy color, and model 1 Sega Genesis. But, no games showed up except for a couple PS2 sports games and DKC 3 for Game Boy Advance. I got through the rest of the unit just hoping to find some Genesis games. It's been awhile since I've found any in storage.

I am intrigued by the idea of buying storage units but the initial cost is so high (or so it seems to me) and I have an irrational fear of finding a dead body buried underneath the debris.

I am intrigued by the idea of buying storage units but the initial cost is so high (or so it seems to me) and I have an irrational fear of finding a dead body buried underneath the debris.
I'm more concerned about filth. Rusty stuff, needles, animals, etc.

Kinda related story from today:

I'm officially a garbage picker. Our dumpster was overfilled because someone cleaned out a unit. There were two vintage pyrex bowls sitting right on top. I grabbed a rag, some dishsoap, and an old plastic cup from inside and washed them before taking them in. No chips!

Basically worth about $30 for the two bowls.

I can't believe how wasteful people are. They had pots and pans, a whole bedframe, a mirror, tv, and other stuff they just tossed. They could at least donate it or call a scrapper. Hell my neighbor is a scrapper and he is parked right next to the dumpster. Hopefully he will recycle some of the stuff that they left.

I enjoy buying storage units, but I'm not much of a gambler. So, many weeks it's a waiting game for the right unit to come at the right price. 2 of the 4 units I got last week have been unreasonably good. The other 2 were good enough. Now I have a couple days of dump runs and trips to thrift shop ahead of me. One think I like about it, is I'm constantly learning the values of things I would never look twice at. Like crystal and china sets... 95% of what's out there is worthless to try and sell, but the stuff that is good is really good (though for all the complete china sets I get, whenever I come across a brand or pattern that would be worth $40-50 a plate, I only have a couple pieces).

Going through the "Russian" unit today, I got to a laundry bag full of clothes. Went through it and found nothing but leather and fur coats. The one fur coat had the receipt... it was purchased at a discount for $600! Shearling. Most of the time storage is more trash than treasure, but every now and then you get a room that keeps on giving.  

If I remember.. I'll post a picture of what my storage unit currently looks like... I'm just shoving everything in that I'm keeping so I can get these units cleaned out on time. Haha, I got what looks like an authentic Louis Vuitton bag a few weeks ago... just don't ask me what box it's in!

I'm fine with scanning, but like others have said, it shouldn't be relied upon exclusively. It takes some time to find, but many things have patterns and hints at value, and once they're learned it's easier to make educated guesses. With records, it could be labels or years, with games it could be publishers, assumed genre, etc...

With game guides, NO IDEA. I still haven't cracked that one. Guides I think would be worth more aren't, and guides I wouldn't look twice at are.

As for being discreet with a scanner... If I use mine (which has been broken for months now) I usually let the seller know what I'm up to and ask if they mind. Most people having yard sales know there are resellers out there. If I find something worth paying their asking price, I don't haggle (and have offered more a few times... like when I got a complete Suikoden II.. I told the lady it was worth a lot more than $1, she said, "ok, pay $2" lol).
One thing to remember is those who hold garage sales would like (for the most part, except those who do it as a business) to get rid of those stuff lying around their house that they no longer need. So, if you scan their items first or grabbing items that you like as you go, it's good for them and would most likely sell them to you at your price or a lower price than tagged.

I remember buying a game once. It was tagged $2 and I asked the seller if he would take $1. There were about 6 other games on the table and he said "if you buy the lot, I'll give them all to you for $5. So, I got all $5 and just gave them away. :) because I already had them. I got the game I wanted. At the same time, I was able to spread good cheer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back