The Official 2016 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
13621578_1138985866144446_363293027_o.jpg

Finally get back to posting some finds.  Local sale that has atleast 2 or 3 sales a season, and always some gaming stuff. 

Picked up the games for 5 bucks each, Got the mario anniversary dsi xl for 25, since it wouldn't power on and had no charger.

Worked fine when i got it charged

Finally got up off my lazy behind and hit a few sales this morning.

At one sale I got Quake 1 and 2, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and a boxed copy of The Punisher for PC and Croc for PS1 for $2.00. As the woman running the sale was talking to some weird guy I noticed a Gameboy charging off to the side with a few games. I patiently waited for the guy to leave and asked her about it. It ended up being a Blue Gameboy Advance SP. I ended up getting that, 2 Yu-Gi-Oh games and 2 copies of Pokemon Blue for $12. Those were Cart only unfortunately. The Gameboy works perfect but does have some cosmetic damage to the screen and is scratched up a bit. The Screen damage is barely noticable when playing a game.The funny thing is I know next to nothing about portable games, I stick to consoles like Gamecube, Genesis, PS1 and PS2 for deals as well as PC games. I just know Pokemon Go is super hot right now so when I saw 2 copies of a Pokemon game there I made an offer. This score ranks up there with finding Hotel Mario for the CD-I at Goodwill earlier this year for .99. Also not game related but my Mother's 40' TV's HDMI ports took a dump so she needed a TV. I found 2 Samsung TV's, one 40' for $50 and a 42' for $55. I scooped up the 42' one.[attachment=23095:20160729_171935.jpg][attachment=23096:20160729_171109.jpg][attachment=23097:20160729_173227.jpg][attachment=23098:20160729_173349.jpg][attachment=23099:20160729_173556.jpg][attachment=23100:20160729_174917.jpg][attachment=23102:20160729_172433.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got up off my lazy behind and hit a few sales this morning.

At one sale I got Quake 1 and 2, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and a boxed copy of The Punisher for PC and Croc for PS1 for $2.00. As the woman running the sale was talking to some weird guy I noticed a Gameboy charging off to the side with a few games. I patiently waited for the guy to leave and asked her about it. It ended up being a Blue Gameboy Advance SP. I ended up getting that, 2 Yu-Gi-Oh games and 2 copies of Pokemon Blue for $12. Those were Cart only unfortunately. The Gameboy works perfect but does have some cosmetic damage to the screen and is scratched up a bit. The Screen damage is barely noticable when playing a game.The funny thing is I know next to nothing about portable games, I stick to consoles like Gamecube, Genesis, PS1 and PS2 for deals as well as PC games. I just know Pokemon Go is super hot right now so when I saw 2 copies of a Pokemon game there I made an offer. This score ranks up there with finding Hotel Mario for the CD-I at Goodwill earlier this year for .99. Also not game related but my Mother's 40' TV's HDMI ports took a dump so she needed a TV. I found 2 Samsung TV's, one 40' for $50 and a 42' for $55. I scooped up the 42' one. If someone can tell me how to post pics on here I can show off some of my finds.
i upload my photos to photobucket then just copy and paste the image link into the post

I was a bit hesitant on this since it didn't turn on, it was alittlw beat up, and was missing the stylus but took a chance. $45 and it works great.

Not much today but I did end up with

Naruto 1, 2, and 3 for 360 for $9

Sleeping Dogs PS4 - $5

Metal Gear Solid V PS4 - $5

The Division PS4 - $5

Also ended up with 8 DC Rebirth #1s and 2 other DC comics for $5 (Includes DC Rebirth and Batman Rebirth 1)

Also ended up with 11 Anime (I believe One Piece and Naruto) figures / PVC display figures for $11 from the people that sold me the Naruto games.

So after a basically lousy day of driving around and finding nothing at all I was about to call it a day when I stopped at a final sale and there was hardly anything out but since the 2 running it were mid 20's or so I figured I'd ask about video games. He tells me he has a N64 and a Gamecube he forgot to bring out. We settled on $80 for the whole lot.

[attachment=23111:20160730_173156.jpg][attachment=23112:20160730_173140.jpg][attachment=23113:20160730_172834.jpg][attachment=23114:20160730_172822.jpg]

So everything I received for $80

Atomic Green N64 with wires and 2 controllers (Green and Black)

Super Mario 64

Donkey Kong 64

Pokemon Snap

Diddy Kong Racing

Mario Golf

Tony Hawk 2

Indigo GameCube with wires and 2 black controllers and a MadCatz Memory Card

Kirby AirRide CIB

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles CIB

Enter The Matrix (Box and Discs only)

Starfox Adventures CIB

Mario Kart Double Dash (Box and Disc only)

Looking at everyones finds is better than going out myself. I haven't stopped at a single sale this season because I've been incredibly low on cash and busy with life.

"Missouri is #1 flyover state" - Jabroni Times

Looking at everyones finds is better than going out myself. I haven't stopped at a single sale this season because I've been incredibly low on cash and busy with life.

"Missouri is #1 flyover state" - Jabroni Times
Same here. The area is slam with people buying anything. Saw someone got a N64 for $40 and wasnt in a great condition.

The rough times continue. It seems like yardsales have gone up and died here the last two years. Went out at 8 done at about 10:30 (and that was with going to two other towns to hit a few).

Hit a total of 8 sales. I spent $15  at one sale. Got a $3 Tetris lamp that I will put up in the spare room I guess and $12 for a small bag of Real Ghostbusters action figures. I will probably just sell the Ghostbusters to pay for the gas and time for yesterday.

The other problem with almost no sales is that people are thirsty. I use to not have many problems with people saying multiple people have asked about video games but the sales pretty much all said other people had asked. One had a person in front of me (with a NES shirt) ask about them and the Ghostbusters sale person was complaining how people keep asking about it (without me even mentioning it).

Now with so few sales in the area all the people are being forced to go to the same few. It has gotten ugly yard sale wise this year.

I hit up a community sale this weekend and it was almost bone dry as far as video games go. I did snag these for $12 from the last house I went to, but other than that all I grabbed were a few books for the kiddo.

Garage sales have been slow for me this summer. Usually they're way overpriced for games. Stopped at one with original xbox games for $5 each, which would be fine if they weren't all sports games and SpongeBob games. Passed on cel damage and left.
Next one I stopped at I found a sealed copy of Gun for PS2. I dont have any sort of Playstation buy I couldn't leave it there for $1.
Also ended up getting a yugioh duel disk for $0.50 and 2 fist size bakugan characters for $1.

Garage sales have been slow for me this summer. Usually they're way overpriced for games. Stopped at one with original xbox games for $5 each, which would be fine if they weren't all sports games and SpongeBob games. Passed on cel damage and left.
Next one I stopped at I found a sealed copy of Gun for PS2. I dont have any sort of Playstation buy I couldn't leave it there for $1.
Also ended up getting a yugioh duel disk for $0.50 and 2 fist size bakugan characters for $1.
Don't blame ya there. Been seeing plenty of sports games lately at yard sales and thrift stores. $5 is just too much for them or those other ones.

Picked up the Hairspray/Pecker DVD combo for $3.

And this is my find of the summer. 29 x 41. Velvet. This will look awesome in the game room. $20.[attachment=23209:image.jpeg]

Half the people posting here are in Maryland. No wonder why by 9 o'clock people at yard sales tell me 3-4 people were here before you asking about games.
I'm in NE Baltimore myself, not really hunting too aggressively these days. Too hot out this time of year anyway; you must be running into swarms of crazy nooblets :whee:

NES stuff was $71. Alittle more then I like to spend at 1 time but all the major stuff I tested works.

Barkley shut up and jam - $1
Mario Kart - $3
GB/GBA games were 4 for $5

Paid $10 for NBA Jam, Taz and Jumper pack.

Paid $10 for Xbox 360 games, Controller, and PS3 games. Never seen God of War games with that kind of case before. The sale that I picked these up at was supposed to happen last week but never did. I got there about 5 mins early and some guy had already beat me to abunch of stuff. The owner said he bought a Gamecube, like 30 xbox 360 games and other stuff. He had paid $5 for a red ring xbox 360 and games as I got there so he probably got a killer deal on the other stuff.

NES stuff was $71. Alittle more then I like to spend at 1 time but all the major stuff I tested works.

Barkley shut up and jam - $1
Mario Kart - $3
GB/GBA games were 4 for $5

Paid $10 for NBA Jam, Taz and Jumper pack.

Paid $10 for Xbox 360 games, Controller, and PS3 games. Never seen God of War games with that kind of case before. The sale that I picked these up at was supposed to happen last week but never did. I got there about 5 mins early and some guy had already beat me to abunch of stuff. The owner said he bought a Gamecube, like 30 xbox 360 games and other stuff. He had paid $5 for a red ring xbox 360 and games as I got there so he probably got a killer deal on the other stuff.
NES stuff is always fun to find. Nice haul!

Haven't posted here in a while, but I figured you guys would appreciate this haul. I went to a little flea market at a record store about 20 minutes from my house. I was just hoping to score some cheap CD's (I did). Anyway, there was one guy there with a pile of about ten games among a bunch of various things. I look closer and in the stack is the Gamecube Zelda Collection. So I ask the guy his game prices and he says " I really want to get rid of them...how about $15 for the stack?"

Uhhhhh....

So for $15 I got (all minty mint):  

Gamecube

Legend of Zelda Collection

SSX 3

Xmen Legends

Xmen Legeneds 2

WII

Wii Sports (lone disc but clean as hell) 

Llinks Crossbow Trainer

Active

Wii Fit Plus

Mario Strikers Charged

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword w/music disc.

He also had a Wavebird, complete and minty so I took that for an extra $5. He threw in 2 memory cards as well. Not a bad score for a crazy hot day.

I found a fat load of nothin' at the yard sale I went to yesterday. I'd like to get one of those flight joysticks for older games, the kind you see by the dozen while yard sailing, but do you think I could find any RECENTLY? Feh, no. I could get one on eBay for $25, though! (growls)

Hmmm, I wonder if we've ever crossed paths...of if I've ever cursed your name after getting to a sale late. ;)
It's possible; I've been hunting on and off for a good six years or so. I'm actually doing more of the flea market thing now to sell/trade-off the excess from previous hauls-- should be setting up sometime in Oct-Nov if you want to pay a visit.

Thursday was pretty much a bust. Got 3 Xbox games for 1.00 apiece. Buffy, Blitz and Atari Anthology. Nothing great. Saturday was pretty good. It rained off and on all day so at about 1pm I decided what the heck, I'll go out for a bit. Only hit about 5 sales but I got some good stuff.

First sale advertised PS2 and PS3 games. Just the usual sports and dance titles overpriced. The PC games were $1 apiece though so I picked up.

Tony Hawk PC (New, Sealed)

Call Of Duty 2 PC (New, Sealed)

Emperor: Battle For Dune PC (Complete)

[attachment=23351:20160820_191216.jpg]

At a later sale I was looking through some random overpriced games (GTA V Xbox 360 $40) Ugh, when I see 2 SNES boxed games sitting with them. They were priced at $5 each. I asked if she would take $5 for both. She said no because she looked them up online and said they were going for $20 each. I said ok $10 is fair then. O:)

[attachment=23352:20160820_192949.jpg][attachment=23353:20160820_192706.jpg][attachment=23354:20160820_191751.jpg][attachment=23355:20160820_192053.jpg]

And my find of the year as I was leaving another sale there was a free box off to the side with some odds and ends and a couple of games. So I grabbed 2 of the games. Both Brand New, Sealed. One has a slight tear in the wrapper on top but oh well. :D/ :D/ :D/

[attachment=23356:20160820_192255.jpg][attachment=23357:20160820_192353.jpg]

Closest to a game find at the flea market this morning was a Pac-Man thermos (without the cup lid) for $1. I laughed at someone trying to sell a disc only copy of Fallout 4 (PS4) from redbox for $19, so that was a thing...

Other finds:
$1 DVDs - Splash! (sealed), Tank Girl
$1 CDs - Gorillaz "Plastic Beach," Cypress Hill "Los Grandes Exitos En Espanol," DevilDriver "The Fury of Our Maker's Hand"
Battlebots "Backlash" toy - $0.25
Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange" book - $0.25
A collection of 18 Edgar Allan Poe stories for my son for $0.50.

I think yardsales are dead. I was out for about 20 minutes and found two sales driving around town. None were posted on craigslist this week (just people selling stuff, but not at a yardsale). 

I think the facebook groups has taken a huge chunk out of the sales and then some of the other local selling programs like offer up or whatever they are.

Went to probably the most disappointing community sale this weekend.  Advertised 200 houses, there were maybe 20, and I found absolutely nothing at any of them.

At two outlying sales, I found a Wii for $5. It has a bad drive, but has some games installed on it; I may just softmod it and out it in my kids' room.  At the other sale, I got a copy of Gamepro and a Bradygames guide for Mace, both were in a box marked Free.

Other than that, it's been a shit show around here lately; and with summer vacations winding down and kids back to school this week, I'm sure sales are going to drop off for the year.

Went to probably the most disappointing community sale this weekend. Advertised 200 houses, there were maybe 20, and I found absolutely nothing at any of them.

At two outlying sales, I found a Wii for $5. It has a bad drive, but has some games installed on it; I may just softmod it and out it in my kids' room. At the other sale, I got a copy of Gamepro and a Bradygames guide for Mace, both were in a box marked Free.

Other than that, it's been a shit show around here lately; and with summer vacations winding down and kids back to school this week, I'm sure sales are going to drop off for the year.
Cant believe how many yard sales and end up with nothing. around 2011 was a good time with games. Now, not so much.

Was at a goodwill and saw a small trash can with a sensor on it ,but didnt work. Price at $8 and asked for a price reduction. Came back and said do you want to buy it for the $8 price? Asked again to see if they wcould at least reduce it. Come back again and tell me they have to throw it away. I ask if I can have it and said no. So u want people to buy broken stuff, but if they claim to throw it away, what is the problem letting someone have it? They probably will put it back out later. The sad part is that the all games are $3.99, wii balance board $9.99, etc. Looks like they using ebay to price stuff.

I think yardsales are dead. I was out for about 20 minutes and found two sales driving around town. None were posted on craigslist this week (just people selling stuff, but not at a yardsale).

I think the facebook groups has taken a huge chunk out of the sales and then some of the other local selling programs like offer up or whatever they are.
Yeah, I was actually surprised how little there were this year. A couple of years ago I would have seen at least 20 listings on Craigslist, not to mention several signs posted across the neighborhood. This year there have only been 2 to 3 listings on Craigslist in my town and barely any signs. I only went out once and only bought some kid's books for 10 cents each.

I think the boom in sales years ago was because of the economy.  I was finding all kinds of great stuff for cheap from 2009 - 2012.  That is when I picked up most of my collection.  

The last three years have been shit as far as gaming goes though I have started to find a few ok things recently.  I think the local game re-sellers are cooling off because they are having a hard time moving merchandise for the inflated prices they believe the stuff is worth.  I think we're past the peak of the gaming binge but the damage has already been done; there will always be people that think the stuff is a get rich quick scheme.

I doubt it. Stuff have stayed at the high values compared to what they were in 2009-2012. For example, a cart-only copy of MUSHA was like $70 around then, and $200 now.

Yeah, I don't think we've hit the peak yet.  I've been holding on to my NES Bomberman 2 ever since it was selling for $60.  It's now up to around $130 and still seems to be climbing.

Yeah, I don't think we've hit the peak yet. I've been holding on to my NES Bomberman 2 ever since it was selling for $60. It's now up to around $130 and still seems to be climbing.
sold a copy of Clay Fighter's sculptures cut for 200 1.5 years ago. It goes for ~350 now...should have held onto that one.

Video Game collection as a hobby is interesting in that it hasnt experienced that big collapse that comics / sports cards / almost any other affordable collectable market has.

The problem with Game collecting is there seems to be more resellers than actual collectors by quite a bit and this will eventually cause backlash in the market as product wont be able to move and which we have already seen with Play N Trade starting and fading quickly, Gamestop buying up smaller chains, and Blockbuster closing up (knocking out Gamerush).  Games are not particularly cheap either.

The unique thing about game collecting is that a game can be used with little risk of lowering value (if its already open).  I think this will keep the collectable market growing and will maintain price increases on physical items long after they are available digitally, which we are now seeing physical games hold value.

I'm very interested to see how companies like Limited Run Games and other companies affect the market.  I know there have been companies collector minded but Limited Run Games is unique in that they purely exist because collectors want a physical copy of mostly previously available digitally games.  Their products will be interesting to watch value wise over the next few years. 

Video Game collection as a hobby is interesting in that it hasnt experienced that big collapse that comics / sports cards / almost any other affordable collectable market has.
I think one difference from sports cards / collectible cards / other collectibles is video games can actually be used. I think there will always be people out there that want the physical original retro games simply to play, not necessarily to just put on a shelf / case for display. (although I DO think most collectors just display their games at this point)

It seems like too expensive of a hobby to get into now if you were just starting out. If I was interested in SNES or NES games I wouldn't even bother getting started if I didn't already have a big collection - especially since the amount of resellers has gotten huge and the amount of games out in the wild has dwindled down to near nothing.

I think we are hitting up the peak of the prices though. There will always be some of the extremely rare  games that keep increasing up - but I just can't see the prices for the popular but uncommon games continuing to jump. I think there is a ceiling on what the average collector will pay for these games and we are hitting it soon.

I consider myself a pretty big collector and I would never pay the prices that people pay these days for 99% of the games. Maybe I'd go out and pay big bucks for one or two holy grails, but in general I would never just go out there and throw the kind of cash I see people paying for games. Even the games I've been selling myself. I'd never pay close to what I've been able to sell them for.

I think one difference from sports cards / collectible cards / other collectibles is video games can actually be used. I think there will always be people out there that want the physical original retro games simply to play, not necessarily to just put on a shelf / case for display. (although I DO think most collectors just display their games at this point)
I'm really hoping to getting around to playing all of the stuff I've picked up. I also like to think of my collection as more of a library that's available for people to borrow from, as long as they're careful.

Finally found an actual deal at a garage sale. Grabbed a complete sega Saturn with about 10 games, 2 controllers and gun for $10.
I've wanted one of these for a while now just to play panzer dragoon, and that was in the bottom of the box too. Pretty happy about this one.
Ended up getting a storage tub full of polly pocket stuff at the same sale. Probably the last weekend I'll be able to go out this year, so it was a nice way to close it out

Yeah I wont be telling an amazing story of how I got this stuff for $10 or $20. The Wii games were $1 apiece and I asked about other games and he brought this out. Said we wanted to keep the system and 5 games that they still play (wonder what those were, didnt ask) and his Genesis stuff. $40 for the box but quality games in there.

This was supposed to be one of the biggest weekends for garage sales for the year around here.  Nearby city has a festival going on and another city 25 miles away has a huge festival also.  Between the two there are easily hundreds of sales.  Weather report showed clear skies for Friday and Saturday, so of course there were thunder storms both days.  There was a clear period this morning until about 10:00, but I was catching up on some much needed sleep.  Started raining shortly after I left the house.

It's been a bad year.

Well my big mouth got me into trouble for the 1st time. I did the usual as I am ready to leave a sale that didn't have any games ask if they had any. So a girl asks if I wanted games or systems. I said either is fine. She says they have a Wii for sale for $30. I asked about games and she says they have a few games and a bunch of Skylander figures. All for $30. I said I would take it. They didn't have it there so i left my number. They called me about an hr later so I ran back over there. Oh yea, when they called they said the system was $30 and it was $45 for everything now. I should have just said sorry, can't do that but I have been on such a roll I said fine, figuring they'd have atleast a Zelda or a Mario Party or the very least a Wii Sports. I get there and it's a well worn Black system with no games and missing the a/v wire. I said what about the games and it's missing the a/v wire. They looked at me all dumblike and said can't I just go buy a universal one for it. :wall:  (Why didn't I just walk away right there) Ugh. Anyways they make a few phone calls and asked if I could stop back later. They call me about a half hour later and tell me they have everything now and they tell me what games they have for it. Oh and now somehow it went up to $50. (Again I didn't have to go get it, but I went anyways) I won't even say what games they had for it, they'll be in the picture. So I went back and they had 6 games, the system complete and a bag of 13 Skylanders. I took it all and paid her and left. So for $50 I got a scratched all to hell Black Wii (It works fine but isn't compatible with Gamecube games) 6 bunk ass games all scratched to hell and all missing manuals and a bag of 13 Skylanders that I know nothing about. The 2 black wii motes are in good shape and motion plus at least. The people doing the sale were really nice and seemed quite miserable and were trying real hard to sell everything they had. I think they hit some money problems and maybe a foreclosure so I don't feel so bad about a lousy $50 to help some people out. Plus if I think that I don't have to dwell on what an idiot I was to grab this crap. Of course they had all the manuals and the slip cover for the Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort dual game. Obviously they didn't have the game and it wasn't in the system either.

[attachment=23453:20160827_131829.jpg][attachment=23454:20160827_132316.jpg]

[attachment=23455:20160827_132212.jpg]

This sale was all straight forward. This guy had a bunch of sports titles for Genesis, Dreamcast, Wii etc. I grabbed the stuff I wanted as I had been looking for cheap copies of L4D and L4D 2 for awhile. The games came out to $39 so I offered $30 and he said ok. He brought out some Gameboy and DS games also that I offered $25 for and we settled for $35 for them. So $65 for some decent stuff. Not a steal but quality games for a good price.

[attachment=23456:20160827_132935.jpg][attachment=23457:20160827_130456.jpg]

Some decent finds at the flea market this morning...

Star Wars Battlefront (PS4) - $5
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (PS3) - $1 (code for online pass still worked)
Joe's Apartment DVD - $1

I haven't logged in for a while, but I will say it does seem to be a drought on sales probably because of the excessive heat this year. I anticipate they will pick up in September by me. I have 100s of photos to post still, but I think the epic finds were my last hurrah. No matter what I find from this point on, would be tough to beat those. I do have three finds that stand out, but I can't remember if I posted them or not. I'll still read the thread though.

kinda related-

I did notice a flint GI JOE figure in a bag of toys at goodwill for 7.99. I set it down and looked at other stuff because I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the other stuff in it. When I came back there was a dude carrying it around the store. He eventually set it down and I figured I would get a better look at flint to check the paint and to make sure nothing was broken. As I am looking at the bag I can't seem to find flint, then I notice a hole about the size of a quarter in the bag...

Came across a nice Sega CD game at a yard sale and picked it up:

[attachment=23486:loadstar.png]

Planning on selling it when I can. 

I haven't logged in for a while, but I will say it does seem to be a drought on sales probably because of the excessive heat this year. I anticipate they will pick up in September by me. I have 100s of photos to post still, but I think the epic finds were my last hurrah. No matter what I find from this point on, would be tough to beat those. I do have three finds that stand out, but I can't remember if I posted them or not. I'll still read the thread though.

kinda related-

I did notice a flint GI JOE figure in a bag of toys at goodwill for 7.99. I set it down and looked at other stuff because I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the other stuff in it. When I came back there was a dude carrying it around the store. He eventually set it down and I figured I would get a better look at flint to check the paint and to make sure nothing was broken. As I am looking at the bag I can't seem to find flint, then I notice a hole about the size of a quarter in the bag...
Probably stole it? Why people have to at GW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back