The Official 2017 Yard Sale Thread - Passing the torch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Mario Kart Double Dash disc only for $3. It starts up then about 2 minutes in it says disc read error. Has a scratch on it. Any tips on how to fix it?

Picked up Mario Kart Double Dash disc only for $3. It starts up then about 2 minutes in it says disc read error. Has a scratch on it. Any tips on how to fix it?
If you have a Family Video nearby, they will buff it for you for $2. If the scratch is too deep you may be SOL.

Where on fb are these lots?
There are yard sale groups on FB that you can join. My area has a lot, but a lot of them are inactive and they all have different rules. I think there is also a FB marketplace that people are using, but I don't use FB on my phone, but I think that is the only way to get to it.

Yep.

Anyone else think there's going to be less yard sales than usual this year because Facebook pages are becoming more popular?
Already seems that way to me. Those facebook pages and town-wide sales seemed to kill my week to week last year. I'm going to map out townwide sales and try to hit them whenever possible this upcoming summer. Keep an eye on the surrounding 40 minutes or so and try to hit whatever towns are having them.

This past summer I was done most days by 10:30 am because there would only be like 8 sales.

Saw 2 signs today. It was cold/raining and I had to run errands, so I didn't hit them. I'll let my competition have a good weekend before I crush their spirit! haha

Last edited by a moderator:
People down the street were having a sale this morning, saw them on the way to work.  They're also having it tomorrow morning but I have a mandatory half day tomorrow, I will be long gone before it starts.  :cry:

Had a good day yesterday. It was a city wide starting and city-wide pickup day. I ended up finding at one sale Tomba 2 in a random CD Wallet with a bunch of PS demo discs. Also ended up finding a nice toolbox to put in my suburban.

At dump day, I had a much better outing and for free! I ended up finding a complete airbrush set with the compressor, hoses, and 6 guns! All of it worked even. My friend that went with me found a brand new creepy crawlers bug zapper game still in the plastic.

Not much was found today. Went to a few sales. I got a toy pirate ship for my nephew and a copy of Star Wars Battlefront for PS4.

Passed on a few DS games and passed on a case with Disney Infinity 2.0 with PS4 game and several figures. Nothing in the case was exciting or rare 

Mm so. I went to a garage sale and I was happy to buy a Nintendo 64 and about six first party titles. Today when I went to test them and see how they were, not a single one worked. Not a single one. "No problem," I thought. I'll just clean the pins gently with a q-tip and a little alcohol. None of them worked. "Is it my system?" I tried another game that I had lying around, worked perfectly. I even opened one up to see if it looked bad inside, but nope.

I Googled "Broken N64 Game" and found a Youtube tutorial on repair using something to check the connections and soldering etc. I guess I can try that. But all six games? What are the odds? What on earth had these people done to their games? They don't look particularly terrible like they had been soaking in something unspeakable. Perplexed.

Mm so. I went to a garage sale and I was happy to buy a Nintendo 64 and about six first party titles. Today when I went to test them and see how they were, not a single one worked. Not a single one. "No problem," I thought. I'll just clean the pins gently with a q-tip and a little alcohol. None of them worked. "Is it my system?" I tried another game that I had lying around, worked perfectly. I even opened one up to see if it looked bad inside, but nope.

I Googled "Broken N64 Game" and found a Youtube tutorial on repair using something to check the connections and soldering etc. I guess I can try that. But all six games? What are the odds? What on earth had these people done to their games? They don't look particularly terrible like they had been soaking in something unspeakable. Perplexed.
Before you go to all of that trouble try brass polish on those connectors first. You can find tutorials online, but it's basically a deeper cleanse with Q-tips than rubbing alcohol. I've had plenty of games that I first tried RA on first and they didn't work, but did after I used polish.

Only found 1 yard sale today. They had most of their stuff out but they asked me to leave because they were not opening for another 20min. They did have a sign out but it wasn't very visible.

I think that's the only time I've ever found a yard sale that didn't allow early birds.

Finally snagged a few things this weekend. 

Saw a 320 gb external hard drive and a few games at a sale by my house. Got both of those cheap

Friday had a a few yard sales. I went to one that I had contacted a lady about who was selling a PS2 with rockband. She wanted $75 for the lot

I bought the PS2 slim, 3 controllers, and all hookups and left behind the rockband stuff

-Games I got that were noteworthy from the 12+ games that came with it were Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 3 for PS1, Silent Hill 4, and Spawn for PS2. Got 4 memory cards too

She has has a black 2nd generation wii with 3 wii motes and sensor bar. She wanted $10 for that. I offered $50 for both the Wii and PS2 stuff and she took it

There was also 360 games for $3 each and a lot of Disney Infinity stuff, I passed on the later since it was for the 360 and kinda spendy

And so it begins.... first gaming find of the year. 

Was heading to the bank about noon, saw a sign a few blocks from my house.  Almost didn't stop because saw nothing but clothes on tables but decided what the hell.  See a stack of DVDs on a table in the garage, but found something better next to them.

Asked how much, she says "I think she said 50 each".  Fifty cents?  "Yeah".  

Two dollars total:

Mega Man 5

King of the Ring

Mission Impossible

Gauntlet II

The phone is an early touch tone phone that cost me $3.  This is from a time when the phone company owned your phone, property of Bell System!  Trimline by Western Electric, this thing is heavy!  This one has the star and pound buttons but still has the Western Electric tag above the buttons which makes this one from between 1968 and early 70's.

And so it begins.... first gaming find of the year.

Was heading to the bank about noon, saw a sign a few blocks from my house. Almost didn't stop because saw nothing but clothes on tables but decided what the hell. See a stack of DVDs on a table in the garage, but found something better next to them.

Son of the beach! That is a crazy good haul. Well, MI is worthless, but that Mega Man. Damn... Is that phone valuable?

Before you go to all of that trouble try brass polish on those connectors first. You can find tutorials online, but it's basically a deeper cleanse with Q-tips than rubbing alcohol. I've had plenty of games that I first tried RA on first and they didn't work, but did after I used polish.
Thank you! I tried this on Goldeneye and it worked!

I got an N64, Mario Party, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye for $10. Now that I know I can fix the games, I can honestly say that was a good deal.

I got an N64, Mario Party, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye for $10. Now that I know I can fix the games, I can honestly say that was a good deal.
You can also try pencil erasers before or after you've done the Brasso treatment; helps big time if the pins are just about black from oxidation.

It's finally warm enough for yard sale season to start proper here in Maryland, and my first day out started poorly but ended strong.

-For the first sale I drove 50 minutes out into the boonies. I had emailed ahead and they mentioned having Genesis, Dreamcast, DS, and XBox games. I was hungry for a nice score so I figured it'd be worth it to drive out there. Not only did they start late, but they only ended up bringing out the XBox games and had them at flea market prices ($25 for a Godzilla game). When I asked about the rest they said they weren't sure if they were going to sell them yet, explaining that "some of those old Sonic games are worth a lot of money." I made enough small talk to get out of there gracefully then headed home.

-Luckily, the sale I should have gone to first hadn't been hit too much yet, and I got everything in the pic below for $20. The seller had Nintendo stuff too, but apparently another collector in the area was already set to purchase the entire lot. Ah well. 

- I made my way to a small neighborhood sale nearby, where I picked up some books for the kiddo and a small flatscreen for $2. I asked about games at one house and a kid brought out his old DS collection. Another kid got in front of me and started picking first, buuuut luckily he only grabbed Super Mario 64 DS. I grabbed the stuff below for $26, and what's interesting is that some of the stuff are the European versions of games as the family lived in Kosovo for a while. Luckily, the DS isn't region-locked. ;)

BONUS: I picked up the Christmas sweater below for $5 for a friend who is a huge Star Wars fan. My only regret is that I couldn't keep it myself, as it truly is a gloriously tacky garment.

Great! Glad that helped. And what a deal! 😮

Hit up a church rummage sale today and struck out pretty much. Found my sister an old Trixie Belden book for a dime.

Then went to the library book sale as they usually have DVDs and CDs for cheap. It was $1 for media today. Was surprised by the amount of games. Saw 10 or so PS3 sports titles, a PS2 sports title, Halo:CE GOTY and Brotherhood of Steel for the OG XBox and some PC games. Ended up just grabbing Sims 3 for the PC. I have Halo and heard mixed things on Brotherhood of Steel.

Hit up a church rummage sale today and struck out pretty much. Found my sister an old Trixie Belden book for a dime.

Then went to the library book sale as they usually have DVDs and CDs for cheap. It was $1 for media today. Was surprised by the amount of games. Saw 10 or so PS3 sports titles, a PS2 sports title, Halo:CE GOTY and Brotherhood of Steel for the OG XBox and some PC games. Ended up just grabbing Sims 3 for the PC. I have Halo and heard mixed things on Brotherhood of Steel.
Brotherhood of Steel was somewhat of a low print run, but yeah it kinda sucks.

There was both a rummage and a garage sale in town this week. The rummage sale was okay... I found a laptop I couldn't afford (boo) and a bluetooth headset that didn't work (double boo), but overall it was decent. The garage sale on the same street was better, though. I took home a digital camera with optical zoom for a buck. It's got twelve megapixels! Plus GPS, because I guess someone wanted that in a camera. On the downside, there were some bits of debris in the lens barrel that I had to flush out. It still doesn't extend fully, but 10x zoom is better than the 4x digital zoom my smartphone offers.

Got a phat 80GB PS3 for $30 and it works! Really good shape too. Not the launch model but the one that came out a year or 2 later. Pretty happy about this purchase because I've had a 40GB PS3 for about 2 years and never bothered to play it because it doesn't read discs and I can never find a good deal on PSN sales on games I want.

jOnJoT4.jpg

Hit up a few sales found some $1 DS games. Found all the Professor Layton games for $5 each for DS as well. Didnt see much else this weekend.

Last weekend was better found a Ds light and several games including Pokemons for $60, also picked up a few good Wii games for $5 each

Crap day. Brought my 14-year-old son with me to the flea market as he wanted some cheap games for his PS4. Nice to spend time with my son, but only walked away with a $1 copy of R.Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet, Chapters 1-12" DVD.

And someone passed away while he was setting up his stand.

I feel like yard sales are going away thanks to Facebook Marketplace. I use to just go drive around and see tons of signs every Friday and now I'm lucky to find 2. I'm ready for some community sales around here. Hoping May is better than April but it's not looking good weather wise this weekend. 

Crap day. Brought my 14-year-old son with me to the flea market as he wanted some cheap games for his PS4. Nice to spend time with my son, but only walked away with a $1 copy of R.Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet, Chapters 1-12" DVD.

And someone passed away while he was setting up his stand.
You buried the lede...did you get a death discount from the last guy?

Got a phat 80GB PS3 for $30 and it works! Really good shape too. Not the launch model but the one that came out a year or 2 later. Pretty happy about this purchase because I've had a 40GB PS3 for about 2 years and never bothered to play it because it doesn't read discs and I can never find a good deal on PSN sales on games I want.

jOnJoT4.jpg
Nice pickup. I got a ps3 60gb with 2 controllers for $30. Are you going to open it to vacuum it?

I wouldn't open a fat unless you know what you are doing. They are hard to put back together. I tried to work on a broken BC model and it was hard to get the thing closed again (and I didn't get it working).

There was a rummage sale at the local fire department. I got a Samsung 2333HD monitor/television for ten dollars! They didn't have a price on it, so they made a suggestion, and I eagerly took them up on the offer. Got it home, and it works great. Sound is a little inconsistent, but it's way better than the Hannspree I'd previously been using in my bedroom. I might head back there to do a little extra digging... I'm sure I can turn up some other fun stuff.

Went to a church rummage sale. Picked up a few PS2 games for $.0.50 each. GTA Vice City, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Medal of Honor Rising Sun, and Bloody Roar 3. Despite them being in crummy shape they all work minus Bloody Roar 3, that will be have to resurfaced 

jOnJoT4.jpg
Coincidently enough, I picked up the same model PS3 yesterday morning (CECHK01), with two DS3 controllers for $20. Really good condition, works fantastic. Strangely, they apparently had a stack of 360 games that someone just bought up right before I got there, but they didn't bother with the PS3. Hell, even if the PS3 was dead, the controllers alone were worth $20.

Sadly, sales were slim with the awful weather we had and didn't find much else noteworthy.

I wouldn't open a fat unless you know what you are doing. They are hard to put back together. I tried to work on a broken BC model and it was hard to get the thing closed again (and I didn't get it working).
The reason I said that was because these phat models has a high rate of yrod. Even if the console look clean on the outside, hold a flashlight and look in all the vents. U will see some dust deeply inside.

Any special device that can clean?

I haven't open it yet.

Coincidently enough, I picked up the same model PS3 yesterday morning (CECHK01), with two DS3 controllers for $20. Really good condition, works fantastic. Strangely, they apparently had a stack of 360 games that someone just bought up right before I got there, but they didn't bother with the PS3. Hell, even if the PS3 was dead, the controllers alone were worth $20.

Sadly, sales were slim with the awful weather we had and didn't find much else noteworthy.
Great pickup. I got the model cecha01 with two controllers. One controller has both missing rubber thumb things one the thumb sticks. They work, but don't understand why it was removed. Wonder if it can be fixed?

Anyone have tips to prevent yrod? These phat consoles known for it. Any special tools or device that can get in the small vents to clean? Heard air cans not great for this because it may push dust

Re: opening a fat PS3, it's not that hard. Look up some YouTube videos and follow the instructions. Just don't start taking it apart without knowing what you are doing.

Great pickup. I got the model cecha01 with two controllers. One controller has both missing rubber thumb things one the thumb sticks. They work, but don't understand why it was removed. Wonder if it can be fixed?
Probably a kid picking at the rubber, and got to the point it was better to just pull it all off.

Re: opening a fat PS3, it's not that hard. Look up some YouTube videos and follow the instructions. Just don't start taking it apart without knowing what you are doing.
Taking it apart isn't the issue. It's putting it back together. :D/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back