The Official Android thread.

Motorola Droid Pro sounds like a much better phone than the Droid 2(I would think most people would wait for the Pro). I guess I am just a little underwhelmed as far as the Droid 2. As for the Scorpion I am just wanting some more specs on it.

I hate phones with separate keyboards so as long as the Pro has on screen keyboard that seems like the best bet for this year at least, but I'm really sick of my iPhone 3G, not sure how much more I can put up with it.

I have to agree with you, I tried the Moto Droid before switching to my Incredible, and I just didn't enjoy the layout of the keys or the size of them. I have had plenty of phones with Keyboards as well, Sidekick and enV to list a couple, and I just couldn't get use to the moto droid keys enough. On top of that the sliding out of the keyboard always made me feel uncomfortable as if it was scratching up my keyboard. I have to say after using a couple generations of touchscreen keyboards, I think it's the way to go for most if not all phones.

Yeah I've thought of waiting, but as was said before, if you don't pick one you'll be waiting for the next greatest phone forever.

[quote name='Clak']Yeah I've thought of waiting, but as was said before, if you don't pick one you'll be waiting for the next greatest phone forever.[/QUOTE]

No joke. Been following a few of the mobile news sites for the past few weeks, and every week that goes by I'm more conflicted as to what I want. I was dead set on the Fascinate but the more time goes on without a solid release date, the more I find myself thinking, "I already waited this long, what's another month?" :lol:

Yeah, then by the time the fascinate comes out it will only be another month or two to the Droid Pro or whatever.

Out of curiosity, how often do you guys upgrade/change your phone? I can usually last around 2 years.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] DroidX is TOO big and I feel Motorolla's quality is questionable.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree that personally I feel the incredible is a better size than the Droid X. As for Motorola's quality I have never had a big problem with them, the few phones I have tried from them felt pretty sturdy. With the exception of the scratching feeling on the sliding part of the Moto Droid, that just felt like the rubber padding was going to get scratched off the keyboard.

The R2Droid2 looks pretty neat:

r2d2-droid2-itw-2.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/droid-2-r2-d2-edition-spied-in-the-wild-ready-to-repair-your-x/

[quote name='blitz6speed']
Ok indeed. Go watch this:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/09/iphone-droid-nexus-one-touchscreen-performance/

The X uses a similar touch screen to the old droid 1. Its not the TouchMAX Capacitive that the Incredible/Evo 4G have which is basically the best in the business.
[/QUOTE]

The Droid X does not have the touch screen issues that the Original Droid had as far as not reading smooth motion.

Here is a test ran doing the same designs on the Droid X. Pictures and actual video demo on the site. It easily is on par with the iPhone or anything other smart phone currently on the market as far as touch sensitivity.

http://www.breakandmake.com/2010/07/15/droid-x-touchscreen-test/

The only issue I am having with mine is that I already have a couple of specks of dust under the screen :bomb:.

Ugh, now the rumor is that Fascinate will hit in October:

Also in October, the Samsung Fascinate will finally be available. This represents a delay from the previous rumors surrounding this device which had it pegged for a late September release. Be it September or October, it’s really hard to understand why Verizon keep delaying the launch of their version of the Galaxy S, since all their competitors already sell theirs. I can only think this has something to do with not cannibalizing Droid X sales. Anyway, bad news if you wanted a Galaxy S on Verizon.

Another possible October launch could be the Motorola A957, which, according to yesterday’s rumors, is the Droid Pro. Today’s info is a bit confusing in this regard, since there’s mention that it could be branded “Sick”. One way or the other, there’s no further info on this one just yet.

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/08/...ckberry-storm-3-and-curve-3-tablets-and-more/

Sheesh!

Damn, October? :(

I was just reading something, is it true that all the Galaxy S phones actually support the divx codec out of the box? If so that may be the selling point for me, if it has built in decoding then divx files should play really well.

Yup...divx out of the box is what I've been reading, though I'm sure you could confirm if you know anyone that has a Captivate or whatever T-Mobile's version is called.

So that basically means getting divx on Android is more of a licensing thing than anything else at this point. Though the Galaxy S phones are supposed to be great with graphics too.

Yeah I've seen that, but I would think the Galaxy S phones would have the best playback performance.

Yeah I saw that yesterday. Also a couple days ago this surfaced:

img20100827131036.jpg

mysteryhtcaug2010.jpg

Our source describes the phone as being an EVO in a larger and more polished Nexus One body; brushed aluminum, very upper end of the market, you get the picture. “It makes the Droid 2 look like a kids toy,” our source told us. No word on if it is a global device, although… we’re betting it is. From what we can see the device has an 8 megapixel camera with dual-LED flash, kickstand, 4.3-inch screen, 3.5 mm headphone jack, and, wait for it… a front facing camera.
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/08/27/evo-ish-htc-device-verizon/

The wait is killing me...on the one hand I'm excited that the Fascinate is finally hitting stores in a couple weeks and can't wait, but on the other hand, that HTC device sounds pretty sweet...wonder how far along it is :whistle2:k

Also I'd like to wait a month or so before I pick up the Fascinate as Amazon seems to have some really good prices about 15-30 days after release.

the fascinate is coming out on the 8th of Sept. not even 2 weeks. dont bother with the Droid 2, get the Droid Incred or Droid X, ive had a couple people with issues already with the Droid 2, let alone once you start using the touch screen, the keyboard becomes dead weight. no point in it, especially since it isnt faster. Droid Pro is coming in nov but thats just a global version of the Droid 2 so dont worry about that.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ugh, now the rumor is that Fascinate will hit in October:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/08/...ckberry-storm-3-and-curve-3-tablets-and-more/

Sheesh![/QUOTE]
the fascinate is coming out on the 8th of Sept. not even 2 weeks. Droid Pro is coming in nov but thats just a global version of the Droid 2 so dont worry about that.

dont bother with the Droid 2, get the Droid Incred or Droid X, ive had a couple people with issues already with the Droid 2, let alone once you start using the touch screen, the keyboard becomes dead weight. no point in it, especially since it isnt faster(hardware).

Yeah I saw that HTC phone earlier today, makes me want to wait for that now. Think I even said if there was an evo type HTC phone on verizon I'd love that, well there it is.

I've only had my X for a month and a half but I really like the look of the new HTC. I love the X and have had nothing but greatness out of it so far... but I am glad Verizon allows an upgrade every year. Can't imagine what will be out by the time I can upgrade again next summer.

I gotta say the Samsung Epic is easily the best keyboard Android phone out at the moment. 4 inch Amoled with Hummingbird 1GZ and excellent keyboard and supreme lightweight....amazing.

I wish Sprint had better coverage in my area, but outside the immediate area, it's roaming or no service for voice and data both.

Man this amazon credit is burning a hole in my account, hurry up and let me spend it!!!

edit- This article claims the price will be $200.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Fascinate doesn't sound as good as I had hoped:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/samsung-fascinate-review/

Makes my wait for a new phone easier.[/QUOTE]
Wow, no HDMI port huh? Sounds like it suffers the same problem as the Vibrant with the cheap, plastic feel too. Droid X gets my vote after having it for just a week now, but I'm not exactly the best judge since this is my first smartphone. Still, I've yet to find a complaint with it other than the $200 price tag.

Cheap plastic feel is due to most advanced tech in phones making it weigh less than 5 ounces. Super AMOLED is very light and Gorilla Glass is impossibly strong.

Again, I can't say enough how impressed I am with Samsung's line of phones. They annihilate the competition in the smartphone space.

Argh, this may be a deal breaker, at least until the fascinate gets rooted. You can't change the default bing search back to google.

Unfortunately, not all is peachy when wireless carriers and handset makers start messing with the stock Android experience. Reviews of the Fascinate by Slashgear and Engadget note that the phone uses Bing as its default search engine, not Google - probably more fallout from the cozy Bing-Verizon relationship. That wouldn't be so egregious if you could switch search widgets at will, but alas, the only way to remove Bing is by hacking the phone.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Fascinate doesn't sound as good as I had hoped:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/samsung-fascinate-review/

Makes my wait for a new phone easier.[/QUOTE]
Unless the fascinate really is that much different than the other Galaxy phones, I don't know what they mean by the sluggishness or crashes. I spent about an hour playing with the captivate in an AT&T store and it seemed great as far as speed and stability are concerned.

edit- Just as a comparison, here is another review.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-fascinate-review-07100970/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely waiting for more reviews before I decide...then again, I'm low on cash till later in the month.

As for the Bing search widget thing, I'm sure there will be guides online and youtube videos showing you how to remove them. If I get it I plan on stripping all the Verizon related junk that I won't need.

I hope so, but with verizon having a deal with MS, I doubt they made it easy to remove. At least you can use google maps still.

yeah i read the Epic lacks the issues of the other Galaxy phones but I guess I'll find out later this week.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']yeah i read the Epic lacks the issues of the other Galaxy phones but I guess I'll find out later this week.[/QUOTE]

I've read the same. Kind of weird if they're all running basically the same software. Hoping it's not the hardware on the other versions!

Another review from CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones...ireless/4505-6454_7-34129372.html#reviewPage1

The bad: GPS positioning isn't always accurate. For now, you can't save apps to an SD card or voice dial over Bluetooth. Search is locked to Bing.

WTF!? So is this essentially a 2GB phone?

As of right now I'm leaning towards the Incredible, but since I waited this long, I might as well wait till the end of this year or beginning of 2011 for the LTE devices from Verizon.

[quote name='weezyweazel']I've read the same. Kind of weird if they're all running basically the same software. Hoping it's not the hardware on the other versions![/QUOTE]

there's an easy hack for the whole galaxy gps issue. my friend has already done it.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']there's an easy hack for the whole galaxy gps issue. my friend has already done it.[/QUOTE]

I've been tempted to get the Captivate and do the GPS fix (as well as the lag fix) but I'm waiting to see what happens. Samsung said there will be a fix out for it this month.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Cheap plastic feel is due to most advanced tech in phones making it weigh less than 5 ounces. Super AMOLED is very light and Gorilla Glass is impossibly strong.

Again, I can't say enough how impressed I am with Samsung's line of phones. They annihilate the competition in the smartphone space.[/QUOTE]
No, I understand but the outer shell is super cheap looking and feels slippery. Granted a good case will fix that, but what sold me on the X was screen size. It's a pocket monitor lol.

bread's done
Back