The Official Android thread.

[quote name='elessar123']BTW, 2.2 rolls out to Droid X tomorrow[/QUOTE]
Since I've never had a smartphone before now, are these updates mandatory? I haven't heard very good things about 2.2 yet, especially with Flash issues and shorter battery life.

BTW, anyone hear about Facebook inquiring about smartphone development? I heard it's going to be called the Face Palm.

[quote name='Jodou']Since I've never had a smartphone before now, are these updates mandatory? I haven't heard very good things about 2.2 yet, especially with Flash issues and shorter battery life.

BTW, anyone hear about Facebook inquiring about smartphone development? I heard it's going to be called the Face Palm.[/QUOTE]

Been trying out froyo on droid x. Gotta say, not liking it. Battery is as hot as when I'm charging and streaming music, and I'm only opening cag right now. Response also seems really maggy compared to before, and the screen to unlock is not as responsive either.

The signal bar looks like it's been modified, cause I went from 3 bars to roaming. I see 2 bars and I no longer have a connection.

A steamy pile of overhyped crap.

[quote name='Clak']The galaxy S phones don't seem to be selling so well, so they aren't in low supply. Even though they have the same screens that have caused supply problems with other phones.[/QUOTE]

my store was sold out of epics. i had to order mine.

Congrats on the choice of the Epic. I bought two and they're performing beyond expectations as a veteran android user.

[quote name='Clak']Since you apparently use Launcher Pro too I ahve a question for you, how do you get the little bar of dots for the home screens to show up? I keep having to guess which one i'm on, I thought it was on by default but I guess not.[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm assuming you mean the Switch Pro app?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']^

That looks pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Thanks changed it up a bit though. :)

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm assuming you mean the Switch Pro app?

Thanks changed it up a bit though. :)[/QUOTE]
I just meant the home screen bar, or whatever it's called, the one that shows you which home screen you're on. I usually see it at the top or bottom of a screen, just shows you which screen you're on.

Yeah I found a setting for it in launcher pro, it's just a flat bar at the bottom of the screen rather than a row of dots. Not a big deal, was just wondering.

Ok. Cool. Anyway.

devicevw.png

devicel.png

Is it possible to download new unlock animations? Not a fan of the puzzle piece unlock and the launcher pro screen swipe seems to stutter if I use it.

That's cool. Now that I think of it, I'm kinda a kickstand whore. lol I had an Archos 704 with one, My EVO has one and the Archos 7o I'll be getting next month will too. Anyway, the Kick stand is great, makes holding the EVO that much more secure one handed.

Man, by the time you add in taxes, and all the other little fees, my bill is about $10 more than the actual charge for service.

The Epic doesn't have any puzzle piece unlock.

I don't think the Vibrant does either, but I'm not sure on that one.

Maybe it's just the fascinate then, it's stupid anyway. Having some mechanical looking lock would be cool, something that actually plays an unlocking animation.

I'm liking it a lot so far. The bing thing is way over blown, I still haven't rooted mine because with Launcher Pro isntalled you can basically just ignore bing. Just get the google search widget and google maps. I do wish they'd hurry up with the 2.2 update, supposedly to be some time in October from what I've read.

[quote name='Clak']Maybe it's just the fascinate then, it's stupid anyway. Having some mechanical looking lock would be cool, something that actually plays an unlocking animation.[/QUOTE]

Since I'm about to get one...(Best Buy will have them for free with 2year contract tomorrow only) and I've hated the puzzle lock screen look, I did some digging around and came across this:

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/entertainment/widgetlocker-lockscreen_hxov.html

It's $2 but I think I might have to get it. This site is what lead me to the app above. They also talk about a glass swipe option and connect the dots for the lock on the fascinate that might be worth a shot for you:

http://androidforums.com/fascinate-tips-tricks/172276-change-lockscreen.html

Also...today I saw this on Engadget:

samsung-continuum-itw-03-sm.jpg

The Fascinate's ride at the top of Sammy's Android lineup for Big Red might be a short one -- a very short one. Feast your eyes on this monster, said to be the rumored SCH-i400 Continuum, whose biggest claim to fame would be the addition of a secondary OLED display below the main. What might you use it for? Well, it's called the "Ticker," and it'll show notifications and RSS updates (and judging from that picture, weather conditions, too). Naturally, one of the selling points is that you can access basic phone functionality and information without having to fiddle with the normal UI or turn on that big, power-sapping primary display; in fact, the Ticker will automatically turn on when you grasp the bottom of the phone. The Continuum's also got a microSD slot on the side (accessible without a battery pull) and a dedicated camera button, and judging from one of the shots we've got, it might be Galaxy S-branded.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/exclusive-samsung-continuum-for-verizon-has-double-the-displays/

Looks pretty cool, but I'm not waiting another month...so done with my iPhone 3G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one know of any must have apps? Maybe OP could be updated with them and some battery saving tips. I know a quick google search can be done for the battery saving tips but it never hurts to have them in the thread also.

That first link goes to a shot of V for Vendetta, Linkin. I'm using the glass screen now, it's ok, but you have to really slide it all the way left or right it seems or it won't recognize it, don't really care for it much either. Might try the connect the dots thing. I figured some new drool worthy phone would come out soon after I bought mine, didn't think it'd be another sammy though.

I'm using Dolphin HD and Skyfire right now, Dolphin does seem slower, but the interface is nice, haven't used Opera yet.

I can edit the OP with any programs you all think are good.

wow the default was so fast i never even thought of going 3rd party. interesting specs.

quality apps:

DoggCatcher - RSS Feeds and Podcasts
Shop Savvy - Bar Code Scanning and Price Comparison
GMote - Remotely Control A PC Playing A Movie
Last.FM - Streaming Music
Bloo - Facebook Notifications (Unless someone has something better for this)
Meridian Player - Superior Media Player
Digital Clock Widget - Transparent Large Clock
Astro File Manager - Manage, Delete, Copy Files

If you like the Sense UI, but your phone doesn't come with it then one must have paid app is Beautiful Widgets. Not only does it mimic Sense well, but it comes with a ton of different clock and weather skins. You can point the date/time/weather touch functionality to any app on your phone as well, which saves you real estate for other apps. The package for $2 also includes better GPS, BT, airplane, and wifi widgets with added functionality to boot.

For free apps, G4 is a great one to have for us gamers; pretty self-explanatory gaming news feed. Sports fans either LiveScores or SportsTap. I like sportstap because it's an actual widget for your homepage, as opposed to just an app. However, it's kinda buggy and requires rebooting sometimes to refresh the widget when a game is being played. Otherwise I love it.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']wow the default was so fast i never even thought of going 3rd party. interesting specs.

quality apps:

DoggCatcher - RSS Feeds and Podcasts
Shop Savvy - Bar Code Scanning and Price Comparison
GMote - Remotely Control A PC Playing A Movie
Last.FM - Streaming Music
Bloo - Facebook Notifications (Unless someone has something better for this)
Meridian Player - Superior Media Player
Digital Clock Widget - Transparent Large Clock
Astro File Manager - Manage, Delete, Copy Files[/QUOTE]
Added to OP.

[quote name='Clak']That first link goes to a shot of V for Vendetta, Linkin. I'm using the glass screen now, it's ok, but you have to really slide it all the way left or right it seems or it won't recognize it, don't really care for it much either. Might try the connect the dots thing. I figured some new drool worthy phone would come out soon after I bought mine, didn't think it'd be another sammy though.

I'm using Dolphin HD and Skyfire right now, Dolphin does seem slower, but the interface is nice, haven't used Opera yet.

I can edit the OP with any programs you all think are good.[/QUOTE]

Oops...fixed it.

[quote name='Jodou']If you like the Sense UI, but your phone doesn't come with it then one must have paid app is Beautiful Widgets. Not only does it mimic Sense well, but it comes with a ton of different clock and weather skins. You can point the date/time/weather touch functionality to any app on your phone as well, which saves you real estate for other apps. The package for $2 also includes better GPS, BT, airplane, and wifi widgets with added functionality to boot.

For free apps, G4 is a great one to have for us gamers; pretty self-explanatory gaming news feed. Sports fans either LiveScores or SportsTap. I like sportstap because it's an actual widget for your homepage, as opposed to just an app. However, it's kinda buggy and requires rebooting sometimes to refresh the widget when a game is being played. Otherwise I love it.[/QUOTE]
Beautiful Widgets, another good one.

My wife and I both picked up Fascinates at Verizon on Monday, and we're both in love with our new phones. I previously played around with the Droid X, which I found too large to fit in my pocket, and decided on the Fascinate. It's a wonderful phone!

[quote name='pacifickarma']My wife and I both picked up Fascinates at Verizon on Monday, and we're both in love with our new phones. I previously played around with the Droid X, which I found too large to fit in my pocket, and decided on the Fascinate. It's a wonderful phone![/QUOTE]

That sucks...had you gone with Amazon or Best Buy (today only) you could have gotten the Fascinate for .01 or free w/2 year contract.

Wow, Amazon seems sold out now, glad I got mine while they had them. Maybe the demand is higher than I thought.

Clak, so is it true that you can only install 2GB worth of apps, as they can't go on the SD card?

I know I've heard that 2.2 is supposed to fix that issue, but seems like its still a while away.

Yeah it's true for now, but 2.2 will allow you to install to SD. So far as I know, without 2.2, no phone can install to SD, it's just that many have plenty of space so it isn't an issue usually. Really though, I've got plenty installed and still have plenty of space left. Phones apps are small, they don't take a lot of space to install. I've used 209mb for installed programs. Uninstall that NFS Shift game that comes on it, it's pretty big.

Yeah I guess that's a good point. So since I know its bound to come with some Verizon crap on it, is it easy to remove all that stuff? Like V-Cast...etc.?

No, unfortunately the verizon stuff can't be uninstalled without rooting I believe. The phone companies seem to be getting more aggressive with this stuff, I can't take tetris off either, even though I could NFS.

[quote name='Clak']No, unfortunately the verizon stuff can't be uninstalled without rooting I believe. The phone companies seem to be getting more aggressive with this stuff, I can't take tetris off either, even though I could NFS.[/QUOTE]

Demos or full games?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Demos or full games?[/QUOTE]
I think they're demos, haven't messed with tetris. Just surprised they'd keep you from uninstalling tetris but NFS is fine to uninstall. The only downside to rooting I know is that it may cause trouble when android is updated. Might not be able to get it from verizon. Of course, if they release a custom rom with the update, you could just use that instead of getting the update from verizon.

There isn't any, you just mount the SD card when you plug it into the usb port. It will pop up on the phone and you just tell it mount SD card, then it shows up like any other flash drive. Just copy/paste onto the phone's SD card.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is there any downside to rooting?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not... I mean you could always root your phone back if needed.

Everyone should be rooted...:) let your phone be free

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is there any downside to rooting?[/QUOTE]

You could brick your phone, warranty will be voided, blah, blah, blah...

Owning an Android and not rooting it is foolish.

[quote name='manthing']You could brick your phone, warranty will be voided, blah, blah, blah...

Owning an Android and not rooting it is foolish.[/QUOTE]

I'm slacking on my end. I think I will attempt to "root" my iPod Touch before I try anything with my Evo.

[quote name='guyver2077']Absolutely not... I mean you could always root your phone back if needed.

Everyone should be rooted...:) let your phone be free[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after setting my iPhone free, I'll probably do the same with the Fascinate as soon as I do the research.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That sucks...had you gone with Amazon or Best Buy (today only) you could have gotten the Fascinate for .01 or free w/2 year contract.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that does suck. At least we were able to get in on the BOGO deal that Verizon was running.

There is one other risk, apps having root access to the phone could be used to steal info from the phone. Some passwords aren't even encrypted. Just make sure applications are from a trustworthy source.

bread's done
Back